IGNORED

All Things Radio Bristol (many Merges)

littlerobin

BBC Listen Again

If you want to listen to this radio classic - and you must, you really must - then it's available on the Radio Bristol "listen again" website for one week. Wayne starts talking 19 minutes 19 seconds in ... Lisa about 25 minutes 50 seconds in ... the City fans' forced conversation at 34 minutes 45 seconds.

It's toe-curlingly brilliantly awful radio that had me alternating between rocking with laughter and cringing in my car on the way back from the match.

At least Terry from Shirehampton spared us his views this week!

Lets not worry about the comments made by those elequant Rovers fans, but more about the reasons for there call. The complaint was that because they live in or around the Bristol area why should they have to listen to commentary of the Yeovil game. Twentymens response appeard to be that due to budget cuts, Radio Bristol would not give commentary on more than 1 game. This could meen that if City and Yeovil are away on the same day we get no commentary Do you eally want to have to listen to Yeovil when City are away I think not.

Guest MaloneFM

Sod Twentystone, Yabsley and Radio Bristol.

Next season FiveLive, Match of the Day with that Gary Crisps and Sky Sports all over the gaff.

'Hello?'

'Sir Steve Purdown? Hi its Geoff Twentystone from Radio Bristol, sorry about all the rivet polishing last season for the pikeys but people feel sorry for them, now about the upcoming Manure game at the Gate, what time do you want us to set up the equipment?

Hello?

Hello...sir Steve....hello?'

Hi

I come in peace, and wish to put aside local rivalry for the purpose of this message.

You may or may not know that BBC Radio Bristol have recently changed their policy regarding live match commentary "due to the costs involved". In future, only one live match commentary will take place on a saturday or on a midweek which means if 2 clubs out of City, Rovers and Yeovil are away then one will miss out.

This will be decided by rotation.

This has affected Yeovil and Rovers up to now but have no doubt IT WILL AFFECT CITY in due course when later in the season you and Yeovil are both away. You may tune into radio Bristol expecting commentary and have to put up with a Yeovil game in which you have absolutely no interest. Yes, radio BRISTOL having commentary of a club from Somerset rather than a Bristol club. I kid you not. A disgrace.

This decison has been made above Geoff Twentyman's head - the bloke responsible is the managing editor, by the name of Tim Pemberton.

Tim.Pemberton@bbc.co.uk.

Please e-mail him if you agree this new policy is wrong, and tell him it risks not just alianating Bristol football fans but that it will lose radio Bristol thousends of listeners.

Cheers Guys, thanks for your time

Gassy

Yup. I agree that it's a crazy situation where the local radio station, which is part of the corporation that has bid for and won the rights to broadcast live commentary on league football, is unable to provide the service to this metropolis due to budget cuts. Doesn't seem a good use of the Beeb's money (which of course is our money) and will result in a poor return on investment.

We should unite, complain and get the decision overturned.

To be honest, it p****s us Yeovil fans off too. We were chuffed when BBC Radio Somerset came about as it seemed to mean that we would have virtually our own station on a Saturday but not so. Yeovil fans ( although obviously less in number than yourselves ) now have to listen to BCFC / BRFC games on our frequency.

Here's a copy of the email I've sent to tim.pemberton@bbc.co.uk - if you want to cut and paste it as the basis of your own email to him then please feel free to do so:

Mr Pemberton

It is my understanding that BBC Radio Bristol has recently changed its policy regarding live football match commentary "due to the costs involved". Thus, in future only one live match commentary will take place on a Saturday afternoon or on a midweek night which means if any two of the "local" teams, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers or Yeovil Town are playing away on the same day, then the supporters of one club will be unable to listen to live commentary on their game?

This is a very curious and regrettable state of affairs and a retrograde step. The BBC has bid for and won the rights to broadcast live commentaries on Football League matches, paying out considerable fees in the process for the privilege. Yet the same BBC then fails to produce commentaries in order to cut its costs! This represents a failure, by Radio Bristol to maximise the return on the investment made by the Corporation whilst at the same time, causing consternation and anger amongst a very loyal and very vociferous cross-section of Radio Bristol listeners. In short, this represents mis-management. In my view, a decision has been made in haste, which will seriously damage your station's listenership in the long term.

I would urge you to reconsider the decision which has been made in this regard, as a matter of urgency. It is never easy to admit that a mistake has been made and correct it - but it is always the right and best course of action.

Sincerely

On an aside I do think this something that our local paper (the Evening Post) should look into and get answers.

If they put as much time and effort into this as they did with their "Save Cadbury's Campaign", I would imagine we might have a chance. This affects many more people than the Cadbury's issue for starters.

Given that the BBC TV have secured the rights to the FL from 2010, it makes it all the more bizzare really.

Maybe if the two forums (this one and brfcforum.co.uk) could somehow unite and show RB what we think then we'd get more chance of being heard.

Also maybe those of us who are asked to go in on a week day to provide an opinon should refuse (I know I will), or those who ring up on a Saturday should stop calling in as a protest to this action.

From what I can gather the payment per game is 1,000 pounds

split between the two sides

thats equilavent to FORTY City fans paying 25 quid each pr match not much is it

The Bristol city commentary league contract is up for renewal from

2009 onwards(hope by then we will be starting our second term in the top flight)

then Radio Bristol can be discarded just like they have done to us football fans

As I have attended most City games this season the lack of radio coverage

does not effect me.

Even though I have been one of Radio Bristols biggest critics

Tonight for example Swindon will be at home to cheltenham

full live Coverage on Brunel FM

Cheltenham will have full live coverage on BBC gloucestershire

Even little teams like barnsley and huddersfield have full live

commentary home and away

If any one wants me/us to take on Radio Bristol, can we collect 43,000 pounds

per year for future contracts?

Any one wanna a job doing the commentary?

From what I can gather the payment per game is 1,000 pounds

split between the two sides

thats equilavent to FORTY City fans paying 25 quid each pr match not much is it

The Bristol city commentary league contract is up for renewal from

2009 onwards(hope by then we will be starting our second term in the top flight)

then Radio Bristol can be discarded just like they have done to us football fans

As I have attended most City games this season the lack of radio coverage

does not effect me.

Even though I have been one of Radio Bristols biggest critics

Tonight for example Swindon will be at home to cheltenham

full live Coverage on Brunel FM

Cheltenham will have full live coverage on BBC gloucestershire

Even little teams like barnsley and huddersfield have full live

commentary home and away

If any one wants me/us to take on Radio Bristol, can we collect 43,000 pounds

per year for future contracts?

Any one wanna a job doing the commentary?

I'll commentate - I wont swear.... honest!

I know this has not affected us yet, but it will at some point. In fact may be tonights game, I'm not sure if its on live. It affected the sags on Saturday when the Yeovil game was choosen over the sags game and whilst it was funny at the time, it wont be long before it happens to us.

So lets try and make Radio Bristol listen before it happens to us.

Click here to sign the petition

Thanks

Guest Garfunkle

i thought the reason was they said it wasnt economical to broadcast 2 LEAGUE ONE games at the same time???

if this is true i wont be signing it as i find it quite amusing that radio bristol wont broadcast their games

I think you'll find it's only 1 live match irrespective of division, so yes it will affect us.

Yes, that's right - if we're away when Yeovil are also away then one of us will get bumped off, I believe they are going to "rotate".

Only a non-football fan (as Tim Pemberton must surely be) would think that - for example - that a City fan would think "City are away, no commentary on RB, never mind I'll listen to Yeovil instead"

I've fired off an email to Pemberton - I suggest everybody does the same. It's either that or pay for "World" which I understand is extremely unreliable.

Just more rubbish from the BBC - always wanting more licence money but providing a lesser service in return.

CR

Done.

'Bristol City should have full live commentary HOME and away, seeing as they could be on the verge of the Premiership. The thought that 1 of their vital away matches will not be broadcast due to a rotation policy is disgusting and adds to the negative view many of us feel towards Radio Bristol for not providing regular home commentaries anyway. Disgraceful. Same applies to Bristol Rovers, leave Yeovil to Radio Somerset and Radio Bristol should have both City and Rovers games live every week, anything less and they are seriously letting the fans down.'

Archived