IGNORED

All Things Radio Bristol (many Merges)

littlerobin

If they put as much time and effort into this as they did with their "Save Cadbury's Campaign", I would imagine we might have a chance. This affects many more people than the Cadbury's issue for starters.

Fair play, the loss of 500 jobs hardly compares to a few of us not having live commentary every other game that us and yeovil are away.

Here's a copy of the email I've sent to tim.pemberton@bbc.co.uk - if you want to cut and paste it as the basis of your own email to him then please feel free to do so:

Mr Pemberton

It is my understanding that BBC Radio Bristol has recently changed its policy regarding live football match commentary "due to the costs involved". Thus, in future only one live match commentary will take place on a Saturday afternoon or on a midweek night which means if any two of the "local" teams, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers or Yeovil Town are playing away on the same day, then the supporters of one club will be unable to listen to live commentary on their game?

This is a very curious and regrettable state of affairs and a retrograde step. The BBC has bid for and won the rights to broadcast live commentaries on Football League matches, paying out considerable fees in the process for the privilege. Yet the same BBC then fails to produce commentaries in order to cut its costs! This represents a failure, by Radio Bristol to maximise the return on the investment made by the Corporation whilst at the same time, causing consternation and anger amongst a very loyal and very vociferous cross-section of Radio Bristol listeners. In short, this represents mis-management. In my view, a decision has been made in haste, which will seriously damage your station's listenership in the long term.

I would urge you to reconsider the decision which has been made in this regard, as a matter of urgency. It is never easy to admit that a mistake has been made and correct it - but it is always the right and best course of action.

Sincerely

Be interested to hear if you get a response.

I to have emailed them and had no reply :disapointed2se:

The managing Director Tim Pemberton was sending out a standard E-mail reply earlier in the week, irrespective of the points people made.

I havent had a reply to my subsequent follow up where I suggested alternative areas that they could look to cut.

They told me on the phone Monday afternoon when I rang to complain (0845 9005 955) that they had a backlog of complaints that they were trying to get through - they took my number and said they would call back but have yet to do so.

Thanks for the support - all Bristol fans can hopefully support this irrespective of local rivalry so keep on to your mates to e-mail or sign the petition if you can.

Cheers

Gassy

Guest Garfunkle
thanks then fellow bristolian..

thats ok. i couldnt care less about u lot.........maybe if you paid more attention to your team than us you may have a better team and be getting gates higher than 5000

Garfunkle grow up!

This is something that both affects both Bristol Clubs. You might be able to go to all the away matches and it might not bother you, if that's the case fine, but don't bother posting childish responses.

Back to the matter in hand...

I emailed Radio Bristol 2 days ago, yet to get a response. No suprise there then and to think we pay a licence fee for this lack of service!

Guest Garfunkle
Garfunkle grow up!

This is something that both affects both Bristol Clubs. You might be able to go to all the away matches and it might not bother you, if that's the case fine, but don't bother posting childish responses.

Back to the matter in hand...

I emailed Radio Bristol 2 days ago, yet to get a response. No suprise there then and to think we pay a licence fee for this lack of service!

were u at the mem last season?

did u see the picture of phillips after they made it through?

point being, i couldnt care less what happens to them. there wont be an occasion ever where rovers or yeovil commentary is preferred to us and I'm willing to place money on that.

Lets not worry about the comments made by those elequant Rovers fans, but more about the reasons for there call. The complaint was that because they live in or around the Bristol area why should they have to listen to commentary of the Yeovil game. Twentymens response appeard to be that due to budget cuts, Radio Bristol would not give commentary on more than 1 game. This could meen that if City and Yeovil are away on the same day we get no commentary Do you eally want to have to listen to Yeovil when City are away I think not.

I suspect the budget cuts have had to be made in order to fund the new 'Somerset sound' set up.

For more years than I can remember Radio Bristol has served the local community very well and most were happy with the sports and other coverage.

Now the service has been fragmented and tries to be all things to all people but in reality is now not much to any body at all. I live in Shepton Mallet and can't receive the 98.90 frequency and have to put up with all things Somerset based which is not very exciting at the best of times. It wouldn't be so bad if we could receive both frequencies and make a choice as to what to listen to with Somerset sound covering Yeovil games and a strong radio Bristol signal for City and Rovers fans.

In my view Radio Bristol is letting us down badly and I for one refuse to listen to Somerset Sound except for when City commentarys are on. The worst decision they have ever made IMO

Another day passes -still no reply from Pemberton. I don't feel inclined to send a follow-up to him - I want to see just how long he is going to allow to elapse before he responds to a complaint from a customer. Next week, if I've still not received even an acknowledgement, I'll contact Pemberton's boss (when I've found out whom that might be!) and see what he/she has to say.

News just announced by Geoff Twentyman on air, all away games this season are guaranteed live commentary, irrespective if there more than one club playing away.

That really is fantastic news for all those fans who can't get to away games.

Well done to the City fans who have helped with this, you have done Bristol proud

cheers guys

Gassy

News just announced by Geoff Twentyman on air, all away games this season are guaranteed live commentary, irrespective if there more than one club playing away.

That really is fantastic news for all those fans who can't get to away games.

Well done to the City fans who have helped with this, you have done Bristol proud

cheers guys

Gassy

I'm guessing you were on our forum too asking for help.

I know that quite a few of us emailed and wrote to Radio Bristol on behalf of all of us. Even though Radio Somerset was formed, we weren't getting as much coverage as we'd hoped but fair play to everyone who signed the petition or contacted RB in other ways, it looks like fan power has won the day. :englandsmile4wf:

Archived