IGNORED

Anotherone Bites The Dust

red herring

Why bother appointing him if he doesn't last a season? He's got them to the last 16 in the FA Cup. Sheff. Utd board ought to be the ones to go as they obviously made a poor decision in the first place. They seem as though they can't run a tap.

Brian Robson is an appaling manager who only gets employed because the 'old boys' network in the media always make him out to be some kind of genius. I'd have thought its too late for Sheffield United this year, but they will almost certainly be a force next season.

I agree. I was bewildered when they appointed him.

"Robson has a very valuable role in today's football.

Many Championship sides see it as grossly unfair that the clubs relegated from the Premier League receive a "parachute payment" in order to cope with life in the league below. However, to balance up this obvious financial advantage, one of the relegated clubs is required by law to appoint Robson as their manager. It's only when it's mathmatically impossibe for that side to regain promotion to the Premier League that the club in question is allowed to sack him."

Brian Robson is an appaling manager who only gets employed because the 'old boys' network in the media always make him out to be some kind of genius. I'd have thought its too late for Sheffield United this year, but they will almost certainly be a force next season.

Hear Hear , Mr Cyderman .

Surprised he lasted so long at Boro a few years back .

Ex England superhero captain does'nt make you a good manager especially when he never looks happy in front of the camera . I can't remember him ever smiling when he was a player either .

Not like our G.J , thats who they want a happy chappy with a chirpy attitude and plenty of funny quips with lots of motivational skills who can get them into the top 6 all season .

Sh*t what have I done , no no no don't shoot , I've got a wife and kids ,

Thank goodness its to late in the season ????

Sad really. Has played at the highest level and now sacked by ties who don't have a clue about the game. Madness.

Why don't think "One step beyond"?

Money, money, money.

Should never have been appointed.

He is an awful awful manager.

You could see it clear as day in our game earlier this season.

The score is 1-0 - Johnson is off the bench yelling out instructions for McIndoe to come a little wider, Noble to drop back a little more, the defence to push up etc etc.

I looked at the other bench, Robson is stood there for most of the games with his arms folded. He didn't have a clue what to do, he players of exceptional ability on the pitch and could not get them to play as a team at all.

Awful manager, great football player.

Should never have been appointed.

He is an awful awful manager.

You could see it clear as day in our game earlier this season.

The score is 1-0 - Johnson is off the bench yelling out instructions for McIndoe to come a little wider, Noble to drop back a little more, the defence to push up etc etc.

I looked at the other bench, Robson is stood there for most of the games with his arms folded. He didn't have a clue what to do, he players of exceptional ability on the pitch and could not get them to play as a team at all.

Awful manager, great football player.

The importance of managers are highly overrated. Maybe Robson is wise enough to understand it's all up to the performarances on the pitch - something he can only have a minor impact on. We are not talking about a puppet theatre. You can direct a Vauxhall as much as you wan't - it will never beat a Ferrari. Succesfull managers are good at boosting their players confidence so that they more often will do things they are capable off. That's the secret. Nothing else. The game plan is made up by the players - on line. When will someone make a doctors degree in the psychology of football??

The importance of managers are highly overrated. Maybe Robson is wise enough to understand it's all up to the performarances on the pitch - something he can only have a minor impact on. We are not talking about a puppet theatre. You can direct a Vauxhall as much as you wan't - it will never beat a Ferrari. Succesfull managers are good at boosting their players confidence so that they more often will do things they are capable off. That's the secret. Nothing else. The game plan is made up by the players - on line. When will someone make a doctors degree in the psychology of football??

That's the biggest load of nonsense I've seen written on this forum. The importance of a good manager can never, ever be overstated. I would tear the rest of your post apart but I ain't got time. :disapointed2se:

I think the problem great players have when they become managers is that they expect all players to play the game that they did themselves when they were players,ie Glenn Hoddle.

Well lets be honest people like Hoddle,Robson were two of Englands greatest ever midfield players and unfortunatly your average championship player just won't be up to that standard.

The unsung players however study the game and take the coaching badges so that they have a more in depth understanding in general,Jose Mourinho is a classic example as is Arsene Wenger.

I think the only thing a great player has going for him is the initial euphoria of when he first takes over and gives everyone a lift,it's only when the novelty wears off and he has to start ingraining his methods that the truth comes out

Disagree with you there.

With the players he has, Robson's team current placing in this league is a disgrace (also add in the parachute payment effect)

A good manager is shown up by his ability to pick good formations, switch tactics when needed, motivate the players, pick decent signings etc etc

A poor manager can't do one or many of these.

Robson's statistics show him up to be a poor manager at every club he has managed.

Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, John Barnes - none of them good managers, all of them fantastic football players.

Being a good player doesn't make you a good manager and I still don't think some of the media understand this - I reckon Boro took a hell of a gamble on Southgate - that could have gone very wrong as well.

Year after year Nottingham Forest have had the best squad in L1 (and the best cash turnover from attendances) but in Calderwood it shows what not having the best manager does.

Calderwood was out-thought every step by our own man last season and every Forest fan I have spoken to thinks that as well.

If we had Calderwood and Forest would have had Johnson, they would have finished 15 points above us last season.

A good manager is the key to every team's success.

Robson is useless.

Sorry but the importance of managers is completely underrated. The best players in the world will win sweet FA without a very good manager organising, motivating and instructing them.

The car analogy is just completely wrong. In football, underdogs CAN and DO beat the top sides. Take a look at the results on any given weekend and there will be at least one case of a Vauxhall beating a Ferrari.

Game plans and tactics at the top levels of the game are far more detailed than you realise and are most certainly not made up by the players. Clubs don't employ armies of coaching staff just to fill the seats on the bench. Go watch a training session at a professional club and it's really obvious how much work goes into that.

I really can't believe that anyone who has seen the effect GJ has had on this club can say that a manager's importance is highly overrated.

Robson should be grateful to Sheffield United's board for letting him resign rather than be sacked like the waster he is. They are now the only club who he's not taken down a division; what a record!

Truly woeful manager, words cannot begin to express quite how bad. All he's ever done is spend massive amounts of money and get the bare minimum out of often talented players.

And sorry to disagree with you bristolcitysweden, but managers are key, especially below the premiership. Ironic you call club owners/chairmen "ties who don't have a clue about the game" because 'Captain Marvel' only keeps getting contracts because of the very same reason! His record as a player blind them to his ineptitude as a gaffer!

I guess they'll now have to remove the freshly-installed personal mini-bar from his office, just like they did at 'Boro... :whistle:

Actually that should be the other way around- If they'd purposely canned him he'd have been paid compensation.
True.

I guess they're quids in then; not only do they not have not pay him off but they also avoided the near-certain relegation that Robson usually comes with!

over-rated as a manager, just as he was as a player. demonstrated by the fact that as soon as he was replaced in the England team by Steve Hodge and David Platt in the 86 and 90 World Cups, the team suddenly started playing much better.

he was all huff and puff and self-inflicted injuries due to reckless tackles because he lacked the technical ability to play properly. a forerunner to steven gerrard.

I think the problem great players have when they become managers is that they expect all players to play the game that they did themselves when they were players,ie Glenn Hoddle.

Well lets be honest people like Hoddle,Robson were two of Englands greatest ever midfield players and unfortunatly your average championship player just won't be up to that standard.

The unsung players however study the game and take the coaching badges so that they have a more in depth understanding in general,Jose Mourinho is a classic example as is Arsene Wenger.

I think the only thing a great player has going for him is the initial euphoria of when he first takes over and gives everyone a lift,it's only when the novelty wears off and he has to start ingraining his methods that the truth comes out

Not sure I agree, following your logic how did Hoddle got Swindon to the Prem ?

Archived