IGNORED

Mcindoe

maidenheadred

before you laugh - caveat is *with the ball at his feet".

We've had plenty of pacy players, but the difference between a McIndoe at full flight vs a Bent, Sproule, Akinbiyi, Smith, etc is that the ball seems glued to his feet, as he does his full-back on the outside for pace. Is a rare skill in a red shirt - don't think i can think of another player who could control the ball at pace as well as him.

Great player and a "proper footballer" - and for me he's running Louis close for 2nd spot for player of the season, behind the incomparable Marvin of course.

1.marv

2.louis/macca/basso

i just cant decide!!!

1.Louis, we have struggled without him. (as captain and defender)

2.Basso (but we really have not seen weale yet so maybe we have a replacement)

3.Marv, superb beginning of the season but has not quite been there recently (maybe carrying an injury)

McIndoe is certainly quick and has ball control and an impressive consistency of putting it across into the danger zone.

You ask any Wolves fan if they'd have him back!! You'll get a pretty quick answer.

One of those players that's shown how much further we've come.

With all due respect to the players we had last season, we wouldn't have stood a chance in getting McIndoe, Marv, Carle, Sproule if we were still in L1.

They are quality Championship players and this is why I reckon we wouldn't suffer second season syndrome should we not go up. Our performances are based on not just graft but genuine quality from players good enough at this level.

McIndoe's ability and performances should not be overlooked although admittedly Elliott grabs a bit more of the limelight (and rightfully so with his goals!)

On the pace thing, Sproule is much quicker and I'd be interested who was quicker him or David Smith in his prime.

Just an aside, my old man states the quickest player he saw down at the Gate was Mick Channon with Southampton. Said he left Sweeney for dead every time and he wasn't slow.

Ivan Sproule would beat him over 100meters and have finished his cigar by the time Mickey McIndoe finished. Sproule is scarely quick. In fairness McIndoe isnt slow either and there wont be 2 wingers in this division quicker than our two.

You obviously have little concept of a proper cigar. Now a Havana such as a Double Corona will take me a good 75 minutes to polish off, a Robusto perhaps 40 minutes at a push and a Corona perhaps 20 minutes. Any cigar smaller than the last one is simply not worth picking up especially if it has the whiff of non-cubaformity about it.

As for Sprouley, lets just be thankful he never touches em or Mco would indeed beat him to the finish line.

Sproule is quick over about 20 M which is what e needs to beat a man. The quickest player I have seen was Dave Smith, no real skill, he just hit the ball past the defender, and ran past him. it was weird, but it worked every time. The fastest player I have seen live was Lineker (a sub 11 sec 100m runner) who just glided past peole into scoring positions. Of course today in the Prem, they all look quick, pace is a minimum, and ana ra where we have been poor up front.

Smithy was something else wasn't he?

To be fair though if you're that quick if you knock the ball miles past a defender and can get to it, there is absolutely nothing legally they can do to stop you.

I also remember him getting that thug Alexander sent off in AG in a derby game. Terrific.

I remember the first time I saw Dave Smith, he came down with Gillingham and tore our defence apart.

I also remember him getting that thug Alexander sent off in AG in a derby game. Terrific.

Rember this well Alexander took smudger out in the centre circle by taking him out at the knees. He did not even bother waiting for the ref to take his card out befor he walked off. Then HTV used that clip in there intro to the sports highlights on a Sunday for ages

Hehe Skuse, no disrespect to Skuse of course, but no. Skuse would perhaps beat most of the squad over 5000m though, but not 100m.

Before Sproule signed Skuse was the quickest in the squad over short sprints by some distance.

McIndoe is a great ball carrier for sure but his strength really is in the quality of his left foot and his workrate, he doesn't need to beat a man to get a good ball in.

from a standing start its got to be junior bent, no poise, cant finnish but very quick.

remember bugsy burrows after the everton cup game, he could only say, THANK GOD I DONE HAVE TO PLAY AGAINST HIM AGAIN.

the goat could move move once he got going, don't think i ever seen him get caught, needed 5 yards though.

sproule and mc=-very quick indeed.

Before Sproule signed Skuse was the quickest in the squad over short sprints by some distance.

McIndoe is a great ball carrier for sure but his strength really is in the quality of his left foot and his workrate, he doesn't need to beat a man to get a good ball in.

well said nibor!! 100% correct!!

Aye ok, but i thought we ment with the ball at his feet :whistle: , but i must admit, i did'nt realize Skuse was such a great sprinter. With his high work rate and stamina i always considered him to be better covering distance, i stand corrected.

To be fair though if you're that quick if you knock the ball miles past a defender and can get to it, there is absolutely nothing legally they can do to stop you.

I remember the first time I saw Dave Smith, he came down with Gillingham and tore our defence apart.

I remember as if it was yesterday that game against Gillingham. Dave Smith looked overweight, got them a penalty in a 1-1 draw, and probably stood out more than any unknown opposition player I've ever seen down the Gate. I said to my late father-in-law at that time City should sign him for the following season, but if I hadn't remembered his name I wouldn't have known it was the same player when he did sign as he'd slimmed right down. In fact, with him on one wing and Mark Gavin on the other it was much like this season - with one flyer and another more subtle footballer on the other wing. Also, he ended up becoming my father-in-law's favourite player in Joe Jordan's first management era.

Totally agree on both points. Macca is not the fastest but has such good quality he gets his cross in early.

As for the rest of the squad. Sproul is obviously fast but so is Skuse. Unfortunately Skuse does not tend to display this asset during the games. Another contender in the city squad is Ribeiro, he is lightening fast and is described by GJ as having "premership pace"

My view on all 3 is based on opinions from within the club. Just ask any of the players.

I remember as if it was yesterday that game against Gillingham. Dave Smith looked overweight, got them a penalty in a 1-1 draw, and probably stood out more than any unknown opposition player I've ever seen down the Gate. I said to my late father-in-law at that time City should sign him for the following season, but if I hadn't remembered his name I wouldn't have known it was the same player when he did sign as he'd slimmed right down. In fact, with him on one wing and Mark Gavin on the other it was much like this season - with one flyer and another more subtle footballer on the other wing. Also, he ended up becoming my father-in-law's favourite player in Joe Jordan's first management era.

That performance by Smith was jaw dropping and i can remember even now talking with friends about how we had to sign this player if City were serious about promotin the next season.

Next season he was Citys, tortured Birmingham at home and then he did everything i hoped he would till he finally left. Away at Cardiff he set up one of the best Citys goals i ever saw as he tore down the wing at speed and put in a fierce cross that Turner headed in from some distance.

One Ian Alexander as mentioned got sent off marking Smith. Alexander managed this feat three times v Smith player.

McCindoe really is in comparison not that quick and only Smiths poor crossing meant he did not play at the top level but that was Citys gain.

That performance by Smith was jaw dropping and i can remember even now talking with friends about how we had to sign this player if City were serious about promotin the next season.

Next season he was Citys, tortured Birmingham at home and then he did everything i hoped he would till he finally left. Away at Cardiff he set up one of the best Citys goals i ever saw as he tore down the wing at speed and put in a fierce cross that Turner headed in from some distance.

One Ian Alexander as mentioned got sent off marking Smith. Alexander managed this feat three times v Smith player.

McCindoe really is in comparison not that quick and only Smiths poor crossing meant he did not play at the top level but that was Citys gain.

Smith and Gavin were the winger combination the likes of which we have been in need of ever since. It's no surprise to me that since Johnson brought in two natural wide men, our performances have been phenomenal.

Smith used to pass the ball into space to chase, and loved beating more than one player to the ball (like that Cannigia, the Argentine player, did in the 1990 world cup - shortly after we sealed promotion). Smith loved going full pelt to the by-line. Gavin was more the tricky winger.

Since then we had a succession of right wingers (Bent, Donawa, Goodridge), but only Aaron Brown gave us that on the left. Tinnion was great, but he was a narrow player.

Wingers are the way forward...

Archived