IGNORED

Gj Manager For How Long?

PAPA650

Now we all would love to go to the promise land be it this or next season, but how safe are we keeping the boss ? yes alot would say he has'nt got the experience so the big boys wont come in for him ? how can that be he has got us to here !! so why won't other clubs want what he has given to us !!!!

We know he has signed a long contract but if the right club came in would our gaffer cut and run or would he stay loyal to us and the club ? surelly there must be a price ££££££££££ and if so what club would he leave us for !!! don't get me wrong I'm not running the boss down but you got to admit when you think about it you can see my point managers seem to be dropping like flies lately !!! i hope SL gives him 110% backing and sir GJ will become our greatest manager of all time and take bristol city to a brighter future

3-1 to city monday and we go top :fingerscrossed:

who'd want him? who's bigger than us/got more potential/better placed league wise, financially wise, location wise. Prem clubs will not gamble on GJ! Only perhaps Everton are brave enough, and they don't need a manager!

Gary Johnson is motivated by personal ambition, and ambition for Bristol City to fulfil itself. We haven't come close to that IMO. And i think we're only in danger of losing him if we do. I have faith in him to stay until the job is done.

Gj wont go anywhere until he feels he has taken us as far as he can take us. I believe that to be an established prem side. Like Reading our well were until this season. He did the same at Yeovil if you remember.

Gj wont go anywhere until he feels he has taken us as far as he can take us. I believe that to be an established prem side. Like Reading our well were until this season. He did the same at Yeovil if you remember.

gj will decide to leave when he feels hes taken us as far as we can go

thats what he did at yeovil.

its also exciting times ahead were on the verge of going up to the prem, a new stadium in a couple of years.

and hes got what most managers crave a 100% supportive chairmen and total controll of the playing side of the club, from the juniors up

Gj wont go anywhere until he feels he has taken us as far as he can take us. I believe that to be an established prem side.

Don't forget however that when he joined us, one of the remarks he made in reference to the move was converting the size of the crowds at Yeovil and that on a larger scale being his objective here also. What worries me is that if we don't start selling out home games down the stretch, GJ may start to reason he HAS taken us as far as he can already. Over to the stay-aways....

I would like to think that he will go when CITY have gone as far as they can with HIM!

I hope our board are ambitous enough and hard enough to act when we reach this point

There are many many better managers in the world

Having said that....I hope he takes us a long way before that happens!

who'd want him? who's bigger than us/got more potential/better placed league wise, financially wise, location wise. Prem clubs will not gamble on GJ! Only perhaps Everton are brave enough, and they don't need a manager!

Gary Johnson is motivated by personal ambition, and ambition for Bristol City to fulfil itself. We haven't come close to that IMO. And i think we're only in danger of losing him if we do. I have faith in him to stay until the job is done.

I can think of at least 20 clubs

That's harsh! There are many managers out there with a greater higher level experience out there, but better managers (especially "many many" which would suggest hundreds)? Ask yourself this, is there any manager out there that could have done better than GJ has done so far at Bristol City? Even the Wengers, Fergusons and Capellos of this world couldn't have done more than get us within touching distance of the Premier World League at this point.

That's harsh! There are many managers out there with a greater higher level experience out there, but better managers (especially "many many" which would suggest hundreds)? Ask yourself this, is there any manager out there that could have done better than GJ has done so far at Bristol City? Even the Wengers, Fergusons and Capellos of this world couldn't have done more than get us within touching distance of the Premier World League at this point.

What??? Firstly, why does 'many many' suggest hundreds? My response is that whilst he is a becoming a talisman for us, there are managers our there with more experience

I think that one of the best contributions to this club is that WHEN he does leave, we will be in a position to attract a much better calibre of manager to this club.

Secondly, the comparison with 'the Wengers' etc, doesnt warrant a response for too many reasons to mention.

I would like to think that he will go when CITY have gone as far as they can with HIM!

I hope our board are ambitous enough and hard enough to act when we reach this point

How many of these managers have been international managers and been promoted from every league that they have managed in?

Inexperienced your having a laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What??? Firstly, why does 'many many' suggest hundreds? My response is that whilst he is a becoming a talisman for us, there are managers our there with more experience

I think that one of the best contributions to this club is that WHEN he does leave, we will be in a position to attract a much better calibre of manager to this club.

Secondly, the comparison with 'the Wengers' etc, doesnt warrant a response for too many reasons to mention.

No, you said many many better managers - nothing about experience.

Name five managers you consider to be better who we could realistically hope to attract. In fact, name three.

I can think of at least 20 clubs

Name them - here's the clubs in England and Scotland:

Arsenal

Man United

Chelsea

Everton

Liverpool

Aston Villa

Manchester City

Portsmouth

Blackburn

West Ham United

Tottenham

Middlesbrough

Newcastle

Sunderland

Bolton

Wigan Athletic

Birmingham City

Reading

Fulham

Derby County

Stoke City

Watford

West Brom

Charlton

Ipswich Town

Burnley

Hull City

Plymouth Argyle

Crystal Pal.

Cardiff City

Wolves

Norwich City

Barnsley

Blackpool

Sheff Utd

QPR

Southampton

Leicester City

Coventry City

Preston

Colchester Utd

Sheffield Wed

S****horpe Utd

Celtic

Rangers

Notts Forest

Leeds Utd.

I'm struggling to see more than 11 clubs that would:

a) ask him

b) he would go to

and given the nature of some of the prima dona fans he might not get a chance if he did go there and didnt turn them around immediately and that would reduce the clubs to perhaps 7 clubs.

We'll compare notes afterwards - just name the clubs that would ask him and he would accept their offer.

No, you said many many better managers - nothing about experience.

Not my original post. My..my point is that there are better managers and more experienced managers out there.

Would love him to stay long term. But as a realist, when he does decide to hang up his candle, he will have left us in a position to get a much better/more experienced gaffer than before he arrived.

Not my original post. My..my point is that there are better managers and more experienced managers out there.

Would love him to stay long term. But as a realist, when he does decide to hang up his candle, he will have left us in a position to get a much better/more experienced gaffer than before he arrived.

Fair enough - but that's not how I, and I suspect a few others, read it.

Who?

Name them - here's the clubs in England and Scotland:

Arsenal

Man United

Chelsea

Everton

Liverpool

Aston Villa

Manchester City

Portsmouth

Blackburn

West Ham United

Tottenham

Middlesbrough

Newcastle

Sunderland

Bolton

Wigan Athletic

Birmingham City

Reading

Fulham

Derby County

Stoke City

Watford

West Brom

Charlton

Ipswich Town

Burnley

Hull City

Plymouth Argyle

Crystal Pal.

Cardiff City

Wolves

Norwich City

Barnsley

Blackpool

Sheff Utd

QPR

Southampton

Leicester City

Coventry City

Preston

Colchester Utd

Sheffield Wed

S****horpe Utd

Celtic

Rangers

Notts Forest

Leeds Utd.

I'm struggling to see more than 11 clubs that would:

a) ask him

b) he would go to

and given the nature of some of the prima dona fans he might not get a chance if he did go there and didnt turn them around immediately and that would reduce the clubs to perhaps 7 clubs.

We'll compare notes afterwards - just name the clubs that would ask him and he would accept their offer.

Arsenal

Man United

Chelsea

Everton

Liverpool

Aston Villa

Manchester City

Portsmouth

Blackburn

West Ham United

Tottenham

Middlesbrough

Newcastle

Sunderland

Bolton

Birmingham City

Reading

Celtic

Rangers

Notts Forest

Leeds Utd.

West Brom

My original point was 20 clubs that are bigger than us/got more potential/better placed league wise(perhaps not all the above at the moment TBF), financially wise, location wise (Matter of personal choice)....Not who would ask him and he would go. I think that his stock is rising enough to now be asked to join a prem/fringe team (a la Pardew, Dowie, Moyes) which was my original point.

The question is what GJ thinks now and will think in the future....not what any of us think

When Gary does (if) go, then I don't think we will get any better manager. In my view there is no manager that could have done any better then what Gary has done in his time here, and continues to do and if he does decide to go I can't see us getting as good a manager as him, unless we are in the premiership. As others have said, what other managers are there that would come here and is better then Gary?

Secoundly how do we know that Johnson wont go on to become one of the Fergusons/Wengers of English football? When he came here people said 'well he hassnt proved himself at this level' but he continues to prove himself at every level. Gary is one of the best managers around in this country at the moment and I think he is good enough to manage a champions league club one day.

Arsenal

Man United

Chelsea

Everton

Liverpool

Aston Villa

Manchester City

Portsmouth

Blackburn

West Ham United

Tottenham

Middlesbrough

Newcastle

Sunderland

Bolton

Birmingham City

Reading

Celtic

Rangers

Notts Forest

Leeds Utd.

West Brom

My original point was 20 clubs that are bigger than us/got more potential/better placed league wise(perhaps not all the above at the moment TBF), financially wise, location wise (Matter of personal choice)....Not who would ask him and he would go. I think that his stock is rising enough to now be asked to join a prem/fringe team (a la Pardew, Dowie, Moyes) which was my original point.

The question is what GJ thinks now and will think in the future....not what any of us think

I'll tell you exactly what he thinks, he wants city to be in the prem with him as manager, he wants everybody to get behind the team for the final push,whether you like him, lj, lt etc is immaterial the only way to achieve reaching the promise land is for everyone to pull in the same direction, starting tonight.

You were responding to a question that not only included "who is bigger than us" but who would ask him too - it's not difficult to work out 20 bigger clubs than us (we're a top 30 club imo).

GJ will be England manager one day (I hope) and of the clubs you listed only Man City, Everton, Aston Villa, West Ham are the only clubs who would have the bottle to ask him and he would see as a step towards becoming England manager - I mean Portsmouth Blackburn Boro would love him as manager but can you see them improving in such a dramatic way for England supporters demanding that he becomes England manager? Man City Villa West Ham and Everton - he could take those clubs into the top 4 for 3 or 4 successive seasons and it would be seen as a demonstrative improvement and no one would have any questions about him becoming the England manager but all the other clubs don't have the resources needed to get into the top 4. Take a look at Rangers and Celtic - why would he go there? I mean he has to win the european cup with them to be seen worthy as an England manager as us England fans think it's a league where only 2 clubs are only ever going to win it and 2nd is failure.

Clubs may covet our manager but for him to enhance his reputation and get a chance at a club that are capable of top 4 premiership then there are only a handful of clubs capable of giving him the oppertunity to enhance is reputation more than getting say City into a sustained top 10 premiership club (which would be a miracle but achievable).

Look at the managers at this level who've been appointed after a club has replaced its manager this season:

Kevin Blackwell.

Paul Sturrock.

Ian Holloway.

Owen Coyle.

Alan Irvine.

Glenn Roeder.

Luigi Di Canio.

Neil Warnock.

That is the reality of the quality of candidates that are available at this level.

How many of those would anyone be excited about getting at the club?

Me? None of them.

We have the best manager in this division and a better one than quite a few clubs at the level above, in my opinion.

Sometimes it is just the case that a Manager finds a club where he fits perefectly and visa versa, and my hope and belief is that that is the case with Gary Johnson and Bristol City.

An example of this syndrome would be Curbishley when he was at Charlton. He took an unfashionable club into the top flight and kept them there against all the odds for season after season. Despite being touted as a contender for top club jobs and the England job ( and he was probably approached for these), he seemed content at Charlton. The club and manager gelled together and the relative success acheived justified their mutual loyalty.

Funnily enough, Curbuishley now seems to be doing well at what would always have been thought of as his spiritual home because of his playing days there - West Ham. Perhaps this should be our only concern, that there is just one job out there that might tempt Gary away. Not necessarily a big club, even England, but the club job that has always been on his mind . Many posters have suggested Watford as being this club, so if we are promoted but Watford miss out, would this be our best protection?

Look at the managers at this level who've been appointed after a club has replaced its manager this season:

Kevin Blackwell.

Paul Sturrock.

Ian Holloway.

Owen Coyle.

Alan Irvine.

Glenn Roeder.

Luigi Di Canio.

Neil Warnock.

That is the reality of the quality of candidates that are available at this level.

How many of those would anyone be excited about getting at the club?

Me? None of them.

We have the best manager in this division and a better one than quite a few clubs at the level above, in my opinion.

Agree 100%.

Point a lot of people miss about GJ is that he has built up a very good infrastructure at the club. Not only do we have a good manager but our back room staff (coaches, medical team etc) are possibly second to none outside of the Premiership.

If GJ were to jump ship not only would we lose a very good manager but also a lot, if not all, of the back room boys.

Yet again I rub my eyes in disbelief! We have a manager who has known nothing but success for the past several seasons (with two different clubs) and yet people feel the need to question and compare him.

As pointed out before, no manager could have done better for us in the time GJ has been here. There is no manager in the world I would rather have right now.

One day he will leave and the chances of us finding another manager as successful and experienced are slim, and we will be all the sadder for it.

Just enjoy what we have while it lasts. Please!

Yet again I rub my eyes in disbelief! We have a manager who has known nothing but success for the past several seasons (with two different clubs) and yet people feel the need to question and compare him.

As pointed out before, no manager could have done better for us in the time GJ has been here. There is no manager in the world I would rather have right now.

One day he will leave and the chances of us finding another manager as successful and experienced are slim, and we will be all the sadder for it.

Just enjoy what we have while it lasts. Please!

I'm not doubting him its just i get a bit paranoid we could lose 1 of the best managers for years

MONEY TALKS TO ALL OF US :fingerscrossed:

Archived