IGNORED

Only 10 Goals In Our Last 10 Games

greenun

...we recruit a loanee striker with pace?

The last ten matches have reinforced the view that although City have the iron guts to mount a promotion challenge, their lack of goals is more likely to merit a play-off place.

Dele Adebola is unlikely to score a hatful of goals, our midfielders sit too deep to attack crosses from the byeline and Byfield and Trundle aren't good enough to merit a starting place.

This season our spirit, consistency and work-rate has been absolutely fantastic, but quality is required at this crucial time of the campaign.

What should Gary do to secure the ultimate prize of automatic promotion to the Premier League?

City's lack of goals has been an issue all season and even though Adebola has now signed his goalscoring record isn't that impressive.

Of the top six City have scored 40 goals in 33 games whereas the free scoring Baggies have scored 64 in 32 games - 39 of which have come at the Hawthorns. Watford have 54 and Stoke 58.Ipswich 51.Only Charlton in the top six have scored less than 50 goals so far.They have 46.

It could be argued that City's defence makes up for the lack of firepower but a goal difference of +1 says it all.Thats by far the lowest in the top six.

I can't see Johnson getting in a loan striker this late in the season. a) There aren't that many about. b)He won't want to risk the harmony within the squad by introducing a new face.

Its the same squad from here on in I reckon. They have done pretty well so far.

City's lack of goals has been an issue all season and even though Adebola has now signed his goalscoring record isn't that impressive.

Of the top six City have scored 40 goals in 33 games whereas the free scoring Baggies have scored 64 in 32 games - 39 of which have come at the Hawthorns. Watford have 54 and Stoke 58.Ipswich 51.Only Charlton in the top six have scored less than 50 goals so far.They have 46.

It could be argued that City's defence makes up for the lack of firepower but a goal difference of +1 says it all.Thats by far the lowest in the top six. Bit in Bold Is true.

I can't see Johnson getting in a loan striker this late in the season. a) There aren't that many about. b)He won't want to risk the harmony within the squad by introducing a new face.

He won't bring in loans as he doesn't like the loan system i believe?

Its the same squad from here on in I reckon. They have done pretty well so far. The same squad i'll settle with they got us this far why can't they get us up?

But big dele wasn't brought in for goals was he? he's a target man which we were missing now we have a big target man people will man mark him which will give space to people like trunds byfield if they started.....

...we recruit a loanee striker with pace?

The last ten matches have reinforced the view that although City have the iron guts to mount a promotion challenge, their lack of goals is more likely to merit a play-off place.

Dele Adebola is unlikely to score a hatful of goals, our midfielders sit too deep to attack crosses from the byeline and Byfield and Trundle aren't good enough to merit a starting place.

This season our spirit, consistency and work-rate has been absolutely fantastic, but quality is required at this crucial time of the campaign.

What should Gary do to secure the ultimate prize of automatic promotion to the Premier League?

It could be argued that City's defence makes up for the lack of firepower but a goal difference of +1 says it all.Thats by far the lowest in the top six.

Its the same squad from here on in I reckon. They have done pretty well so far.

Agree with you guys on those points. We have the highest points to goals ratio in the entire league and this tells a story in it’s own right: It shows that we are picking up wins by the narrowest of margins.

Games in which we have won by the odd goal = 12 Scunny (A), Sheff Wed.(H), Blackpool (H), Coventry (H), Burnley (A), Barnsley (H), Baadiff (H), Watford (A), Stoke (H), Southampton (H), Sheff. Wed. (A) and Scunny (H).

Games in which we have won by 2 clear goals = 3 Ipswich (H), Norwich (A) and Sheff. Utd (H).

Games in which we have won by 3 clear goals = 1 Coventry (A)

Total goals scored in our winning games = 29

Goals conceded in our winning games = 8

On the other hand:

Games in which we have lost by 1 clear goal = 1 Charlton (H)

Games in which we have lost by 2 clear goals = 2 Palace (A), Leicester (H)

Games in which we have lost by 3 clear goals = 3 QPR (A), WBA (A) and Barnsley (A)

Games in which we have lost by more than 3 clear goals = 1 Ipswich (A)

Total goals scored in our losing games = 1

Total goals conceded in our losing games = 21

We’ve also drawn 10 games with 10 goals shared.

Seems obvious, but, as you guys point out the lack of goals has been our frailty and should we begin to drop points regularly there is a strong statistical probability (one would assume from the figures) that our current league position would drop like a stone. Saying that I don’t think it will happen, not least because of the fantastic team spirit epitomised by last evenings performance and we might just do enough to grab an automatic spot the way the other results are falling.

edit: corrected goals (x2!) conceded in losing games from 19 to the above:

There are players out there available on loan who would improve our side and whilst we have done fantastically well and GJ's stock can't rise much higher, it is obvious to me that we should go and and try to get one in now if at all possible.

Adebola has been impressive in giving our attack a focal point but I bet he'd prefer to partner someone who might actually be up to support him and get on the end of his flick ons, rather than what is with Carle in it, now effectively now a five man midfield sitting far too deep.

Scott Sinclair or David Connolly are two who would improve our squad, before someone says that these players don't exist.

Adebola is a good signing but I think most agree that he isnt going to score that many goals. Maybe 4 or 5 in the league if we create enough chances for him? He has looked good but we need something else.

There is the option that we go to a premiership team and try and get someone on loan of a certain class, ie David Nugent at Portsmouth or Leroy Lita at Reading. This could work and I would love to see Nugent here as I think he would score the goals to take us up. Carnt see it happening though to be honest.

Anouther option is that we try and get someone like Sinclair on loan who will score goals but is still looking to prove himself. The other option is that we take a risk on someone (ie Smith last season) but thats a bit of a risk.

In summery I think we need someone like Sinclair. I think his pace means he is a quality player and he evidently has a good finishing ability. It will be interesting to see what Gary's plans are and if he intends to go and try and get someone or if he just keeps the same squad.

Adebola is a good signing but I think most agree that he isnt going to score that many goals. Maybe 4 or 5 in the league if we create enough chances for him? He has looked good but we need something else.

There is the option that we go to a premiership team and try and get someone on loan of a certain class, ie David Nugent at Portsmouth or Leroy Lita at Reading. This could work and I would love to see Nugent here as I think he would score the goals to take us up. Carnt see it happening though to be honest.

Anouther option is that we try and get someone like Sinclair on loan who will score goals but is still looking to prove himself. The other option is that we take a risk on someone (ie Smith last season) but thats a bit of a risk.

In summery I think we need someone like Sinclair. I think his pace means he is a quality player and he evidently has a good finishing ability. It will be interesting to see what Gary's plans are and if he intends to go and try and get someone or if he just keeps the same squad.

Preston are still interested in securing Nugent on loan and if Harry Redknapp was open to the idea then I'm sure he prefer the striker to play at the top end of the Championship.

What about Daniel Sturridge of Manchester City? He has fantastic pace and an eye for goal, which was superbly demonstrated by his strikes for Man City's youth team in their recent FA Cup win at Ashton Gate.

Sven has recently purchased another forward, Felipe Caicedo from Basle, for £5,200,000, who made a substitute appearance against Manchester United when Sturridge was omitted from the Blues' squad.

With the experienced trio of Benjani, Mpenza, or Bianchi to choose from as their lone frontman, plus this recent addition, perhaps Sven could be persuaded to loan young Daniel to a quality Championship side who play football as God intended; on the floor - most of the time.

I think the answer lies in playing Byfield alongside Adebola. Byfield created more goal-scoring opportunities against Crystal Palace (with Adebola knocking it down) than we had in whole of the game before he came on.

Lots of people putting statistics on this thread showing how other teams around us are better in some way. Most important statistic is that we have only lost 7 games. We need to win eight or nine more to be absolutely certain of automatic promotion...but may get away with less if others slip up the way they have been all season.

I think the answer lies in playing Byfield alongside Adebola. Byfield created more goal-scoring opportunities against Crystal Palace (with Adebola knocking it down) than we had in whole of the game before he came on.

Lots of people putting statistics on this thread showing how other teams around us are better in some way. Most important statistic is that we have only lost 7 games. We need to win eight or nine more to be absolutely certain of automatic promotion...but may get away with less if others slip up the way they have been all season.

Byfield has excelled for City this season, but only as an impact playing substitute with 6 of his 8 goals coming from the bench. Darren's fantastic cameos don't make up for the fact that when he's played from the start he doesn't have the pace or nouse to affect a game. The same goes for Trundle.

As for statistics, averaging one goal per match at the business end of the season will not be enough for automatic promotion.

Archived