IGNORED

Wba Spend 3.5m On Striker

Guest Garfunkle

Says it alll really Garfunkle, they really are going for it!!!

Wonder if that will release one of their own strikers?

That Miller is top drawer and on loan. Love to see him down the Gate

didnt they sign miller perm in january for around 900k-1m?

also goes to show the attacking options needed if you want to finish top 2

Guest Garfunkle

doubt they will to be honest.

if you play 442 you will need four strikers in your squad. we can get away with three because we play 1 upfront

He's exactly what we need down here Arn but can't see it as he's injured, fairly long term I think, and has only just joined them permanently. Far more likely that they'll terminate Bednar's loan from Hearts and that would be another good shout for us...

Pretty decent in the Premiership he is, and will no doubt score goals for fun in the Championship. West Brom now have Phillips, Miller, Bednar & Moore. Any chance of getting Phillips on loan!? Haha, no chance.

You can add Craig Beattie and Bartosz Slusarski to that list who cost a cool £2m between them.

Mowbray is obviously panicking in a manner similar to when Keegan splashed out big time on Asprilla all those years ago. I predict their drop down the table will be imminent. :cool:

With the addition of Moore West Brom now have 6 strikers:

• Craig Beattie
  • Zoltan Gera
  • Ishmael Miller
  • Kevin Phillips
  • Roman Bednar
  • Luke Moore

Gera's not a striker and never has been so you can take him off the list.

Miller can also play on the left wing and I'm pretty sure Beattie can play midfield as well. Definately not short of options.

Wow if my team were the top scorers in the league and who's only real flaw was a mental weakness and lack of leadership and resilience i'd be dead impressed if they signed a 22 year old striker who's done nothing in the game and never experienced championship football...

Is he a bad player? Nope. Would i want him here? I think I even suggested it during the transfer window! I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least look at him. But the WBA management aren't doing the right thing, they're not trying to solve their weaknesses. It'd be like us signing say Ben Foster on loan. Great, but not really what we need right now...

They're signing a player for the sake of signing a player... and if you listen to GJ's wise teachings it just goes to show why we're "overachieving" and they are "underachieving". How have i managed to turn one of our promotion rivals signing a striker into a negative for them and a positive for GJ? Because I "always believe."

I honestly believe if GJ wanted to spend £3.5m on a striker then SL would sanction it. I think its the fact that GJ doesn't want to rock the boat by bringing in a striker for that much and unsettle the rest of the sqaud.

Fortunately promotion from the Championship isn't decided by how much money you spend on strikers - if it was the top 3 right now would be:

* WBA - Phillips, Moore, Miller, Bednar etc

* Wolves - Eastwood, Keogh, Bothroyd etc

* Sheff Utd - Sharp, James Beattie, Gillespie etc

Reality is that Wolves have scored no more goals than us despite their massive investment, Sheff Utd have just sacked their manager and are languishing at the wrong end of the table, and WBA are still behind us in the table despite scoring 4 goals a game at home on a regular basis.

As someone else on this thread said, WBA are strengthening in the wrong area - they need to tighten up at the back, not score more goals.

Of course I would love us to sign a prolific striker on loan if one came up but in reality a Luke Moore is always going to pick a WBA (big club, Premier League in recent times, just round the corner from his house in Birmingham) rather than a Bristol City (mid-size club, haven't played in the top flight in his lifetime and deep in the heart of the West Country).

WBA are betting big on going up with this signing - £3.5m for a striker if they stay down will be a balance sheet wrecker. Truth is that their parachute payments for coming down from the top flight are about to run out and they are giving it large in the hope of getting back up before they do.

Does anyone reckon that Johnson has a some loan strikers in mind but true to form is keeping it all very quiet?

Surprised to see Wba import another striker.After all its not a striker they need with 64 goals already.I would have thought a solid and reliable couple of defenders would have a better option.

Does anyone reckon that Johnson has a some loan strikers in mind but true to form is keeping it all very quiet?

Surprised to see Wba import another striker.After all its not a striker they need with 64 goals already.I would have thought a solid and reliable couple of defenders would have a better option.

I think it is without doubt that GJ will have players in mind. It'll be whether or not they are available that will determine the outcome.

I genuinely think we are only one player away from a finished squad, that top striker. I wonder, with Wolves' season all but over, could we nick Freddy Eastwood on loan...?

Archived