IGNORED

What Is A Volley

lukejones2

Now this isn't one of those 'I have a friend...' things where it's actually me in question, but I have a friend who is convinced that a volley, in football (as opposed to, say, tennis or squash) cannot bounce; i.e. the term volley cannot relate to a time when the ball is played, bounces up and is then struck at it is dropping.....

For me, simply, the ball is in the air and you hit it = volley.

Hit the ball as it is bouncing = half volley

Hit the ball before it bounces after the delivery = volley, on the full.

So, can anyone shed any light on this? Can't a ball be volleyed when it has bounced before being struck?

(And yes, I know it's something of a silly argument, but let's just say beer was involved and I got het up...).

I always thought a half-volley was when the ball was struck at the same moment it hit the ground

Yeah - as it as it hits/just after (I think they are generally on the way up when hit) but my definition means basically this.

Glad everyone agrees, everyone he has asked seems to disagree with me...

It was only a lunchtime couple actually, maybe I'm in a slightly argumentative mood!

I don't think it can bounce otherwise pretty much every goal ever scored would be a volley.

It's pretty rare the ball is actually on the ground.

Bobbles clearly don't count.... actually in the air.. ie the ball is dropping and you hit it.. even after a bounce.... that's my volley.

As an experienced player of the game 'headers and volleys'...

For a shot to be considered a volley, the ball must not touch the ground between the the player hitting the shot and the last player to have touched a ball. Therefore, if a ball is crossed into the box and the striker hits the ball before it bounces, that is a volley. Remember Mickey Bell's volley at Bournemouth in the LDV a few years back?

It is possible for the striking player to have a touch after the ball is played to him, providing he keeps it in the air (Therefore, Brian Tinnion's freekick against Cambridge was also a volley).

However, if the ball bounces at all between the player passing the ball and the player striking the shot, that is classed as a half volley.

Those are the universal rules of headers and volleys/60 seconds, and I accept any other explanation as incorrect!

EDIT: Although, saying that... I guess it is possible to flick the ball up to yourself and hit it first time. That would be a volley, even though it would be considered a foul in the game headers and volleys...

[/stops wasting life trying to explain]

You're allowed to set yourself up for overheads in headers and volleys, but not anything else. At least that's how we played it.

Surely everybody used to play that game and knew the rules?

headers and volleys,now that takes me back,,jumpers for goalposts,,summer holidays playing football from 10 in the morning till you couldent see the ball nomore,and then on saturdays back home by 10 for motd,those were the days :sun:

We used to play ASS or was it ****? forget now... same principle as 'headers and volleys' anyway. Do you still get the ball pelted at you from close range if you lose?

Those were indeed the days.

Wembley and Wembly doubles was another breaktime classic. S'pose the kids growing up between 2001/7 would have called it Millenium Stadium doubles.

We used to play ASS or was it ****? forget now... same principle as 'headers and volleys' anyway. Do you still get the ball pelted at you from close range if you lose?

Haha, another classic game. Yeah, and we were a lot better at firing a ball at someones backside than Liam Fontaine was...

Was never a fan of Wembley myself.

Haha, another classic game. Yeah, and we were a lot better at firing a ball at someones backside than Liam Fontaine was...

Was never a fan of Wembley myself.

Main problem with Wembley was the mindless violence it promted, made that German keeper' Schumacers' 'tackle' in '82 look quite tame.

Speaking of which the 17 a-side City v R*vers schoold playing field derby's..... then of course the celebratory pile on's to follow. Then all back in with sraped knees and filthy uniforms for Double Science :fastasleep:

*sighs*

A volley is when a player hits the ball whilst in the air, without it touching the ground from a pass, or a self set up.

A half volley is where the ball has bounced ONCE and is hit whilst still in the air.

You are obviously spot on with the rules of headers and volleys... which misinterpret the meaning of the word volley.... ;)

I now go with the H&D theory. But it is common to call a ball that is struck as it hits the ground 'a half volley'.

Do commentators ever say 'half volley' when it has clearly bounced??

Archived