IGNORED

The Rugby

Antman

having just spent the day drinking (interrupted by some rugby) courtesy of a large company, I thought I should say that the atmosphere didn't even come close to Saturday. Everyone goes on about the way rugby fans all love each other and everything is rosy etc etc blah blah...

well, having witnessed a dull game,(they picked the ball up fer chrissake!!)interrupted by people asking me what the score was and who won (I'm not joking) I can say that the the rugby was dull, dull, dull! compared to the glory of Saturday! When the crowd started their 'bristol' or 'bath' chant I stood up and yelled 'come on you reds'

(i was p1ssed by now) as it was clear that these interlopers needed to be reminded of the real reason for glory that is ASHTON GATE!

I'm still p1ssed - sorry.

you redzzzzzzzzzzz

pass the aspirin.

having just spent the day drinking (interrupted by some rugby) courtesy of a large company, I thought I should say that the atmosphere didn't even come close to Saturday. Everyone goes on about the way rugby fans all love each other and everything is rosy etc etc blah blah...

well, having witnessed a dull game,(they picked the ball up fer chrissake!!)interrupted by people asking me what the score was and who won (I'm not joking) I can say that the the rugby was dull, dull, dull! compared to the glory of Saturday! When the crowd started their 'bristol' or 'bath' chant I stood up and yelled 'come on you reds'

(i was p1ssed by now) as it was clear that these interlopers needed to be reminded of the real reason for glory that is ASHTON GATE!

I'm still p1ssed - sorry.

you redzzzzzzzzzzz

pass the aspirin.

I was also there.

Rubbish game, rubbish atmosphere. Rugbyheads will tell you that they have the most passion off the pitch but even their only chant of "BRISTOL BRISTOL" wasn't a patch on the noise created by "Come on you reds" around the ground yesterday.

Perhaps I'm just biased? :ph34r:

Went past AG as they were kicking out.

Strange thing was the fans all looked happy even though I found out later that Bristol had lost.

They didn't care enough to even look glum.

No passion at all.

The truth is that Rugby really doesn't matter. :no:

It was dreadfull today.

Not sure why the atmosphere at the rugby is always brought up, it's not in the culture or expected. I went to Italy a few weeks ago for the 6 nations, and it was a top weekend shared with thousands of England and Italy fans, not to mention Jocks, Taffs and paddys. No trouble and not a night home before 2.30 and a cracking few storys. There's no comparison because there's non to be made, they are both different things.

Can you remember exactly how bad our pitch looked at the final whistle?

I dread to think.

not too bad, the fans remarked what a good pitch it was, and Richard Hill blamed the loss on it!!!

I was happy to see it was OK - (I think it was OK, I had beer/red wine/white wine filters on by then)

Nah, give me the proper game any day.

not too bad, the fans remarked what a good pitch it was, and Richard Hill blamed the loss on it!!!

I was happy to see it was OK - (I think it was OK, I had beer/red wine/white wine filters on by then)

Apparently the Sags sang "Championship, you're having a laugh" to the Southampton fans who responded with "Football pitch, you're having a laugh!"

I'm glad we don't have those rugger buggers on our pitch every other week

FTG

Guest red ken 2

No surprise they remarked it was a good pitch, the old egg chasers are used to playing on a cabbage patch up at the mighty Mem. :rofl2br:

right, the gloves are off. As a rgby first, city second fan, i will like to point out a few points.

1. Rugby has had a different atmosphere to football and will always have.

2. The fact that the fans looked okay at the end of the game is not down to a lack of passion just a realisation that if the better team won we can take it with good grace.

3. Its been "C'MON BRIS" for years.

4. Trust, our fans can be trsted to stand next to an opposition fan without planting him one.

By the look of many of the posts its clear that many people don't like rugby, thats fine but please don't dismiss it as unimportant. Remember that the Rugby is the highest level team in the city.

PS- Cmon Bris, 2-1 tonight

right, the gloves are off. As a rgby first, city second fan, i will like to point out a few points.

1. Rugby has had a different atmosphere to football and will always have.

That's right, it's an afternoon out drinking beer, the Rugby doesn't really matter.

2. The fact that the fans looked okay at the end of the game is not down to a lack of passion just a realisation that if the better team won we can take it with good grace.

If you're referring to me, I stand by what I said. No passion amongst the fans, losing didn't HURT. Nothing to do with good grace, they simply didn't care enough.

3. Its been "C'MON BRIS" for years.

No it hasn't, It's been that dirgeful BRRRRIISTOLLL, ( repeat ad nauseum) for decades.

4. Trust, our fans can be trsted to stand next to an opposition fan without planting him one.

Typical of the condescending attitude of Rugby fans towards football supporters. 99% of football fans wouldn't dream of 'planting one' on anybody either. At a Rugby match, the players are beating the crap out of each other. A bit of 'fisticuffs' in the pack? Ah well no problem there then. :dunno: The thugs are on the pitch and their brutality satisfies the blood lust of the spectators.

By the look of many of the posts its clear that many people don't like rugby, thats fine but please don't dismiss it as unimportant. Remember that the Rugby is the highest level team in the city.

You're right, I don't like Rugby. Like thousands of other young Bristolians I was forced to play it at Secondary school instead of football for 5 years and I will despise the imported Welsh games teachers who insisted it took precedence for evermore.

I still get a bad neck sometimes as a legacy of being hammered by someone twice my size playing Rugby when I was about 14. Crap game for brawny people, often without any natural talent, who can only succeed in a game where you have to fight to win.

PS- Cmon Bris, 2-1 tonight

Crap game for brawny people, often without any natural talent, who can only succeed in a game where you have to fight to win.

Possibly the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard

Your reply would be more interesting if you made some attempt to explain yourself.

Otherwise it's worthless.

There's no skill involved, if your big fast your going to be good at it.

I was always having that same arguement with a few mates of mine of played rugby... even in Clifton pubs with all their rugby teams too (after I'd necked a few ciders!!!)

I always used to say, "Throw a ball at someone, get them to catch it and run to the door... simple. Now trap the ball and run to the door with it using your hands... not so easy then is it?"

It's all good banter between people who enjoy different sports.

At the end of the day it's a good source of revenue for the club as long as the pitch didn't suffer. Which apparently it didn't (from someone who was down the ground on Monday). I was speaking with CS recently before the game against Palace. Playing on the Monday meant the rugby couldn't play at AG the day before and that game would have been worth about £100K in total?!

Your reply would be more interesting if you made some attempt to explain yourself.

Otherwise it's worthless.

First of all your remark about having to fight to win is ridiculous, if you scrap in rugby , you get punished , same as in football.

And as for the big comment, yes perhaps if you are big then you will be sucessfull, however look at some of the present England team, eg Toby Flood, skinny little wretch who is currently one of our best players, not big, but definitely fast and with skill, Danny Cipriani just been handed his first start, not exactly what you would call big. In fact a great many rugby players are smaller than our own dele adebola.

I am a City fan first and foremost but I'm also passionate about rugby and to dismiss it as a waste of time is insulting to the millions around the world who enjoy the game

Archived