IGNORED

Scrumpylegs

5,933 - PATHETIC

Not as pathetic as 16½K apparently (thats Gas logic for you!!). Because if they were in our position they would be getting 20K through the gate every week - or at least that is what they claim. The question I asked them on their forum was how many would they get if they lost 9 in a row and were at the very bottom of League 1 like we were a couple of seasons ago - 12K sell out? 10K like we did? Or 5K? The silence was deafening.

Not as pathetic as 16½K apparently (thats Gas logic for you!!). Because if they were in our position they would be getting 20K through the gate every week - or at least that is what they claim. The question I asked them on their forum was how many would they get if they lost 9 in a row and were at the very bottom of League 1 like we were a couple of seasons ago - 12K sell out? 10K like we did? Or 5K? The silence was deafening.

Well they struggled to get 5k when they were unbeaten in however long, 1 defeat in however many matches and in the cup quarters!

Before we start slinging mud, I'm sure that there are still quite a few on the forum who remember the dire 4th division crowds we had back then?

After the near 30,000 'fans' filling The Gate from the old 1st division days it only took 3 seasons before we could only barely muster 4,000 crowds in the league.

It only took that long to be deserted ( cos' that's all it was) by Ca. 26,000 glory chasers, those were ###### heartbreaking days.

No not our away following at Charlton tonight but the attendance at Bristol Rovers home clash with promotion chasing Doncaster Rovers !! :laugh:

Never has the term "One team in Bristol" been more appropriate !!

:goingup:

I had to have a chuckle to myself when the commentator for Rovers vs Doncaster game said it was a game between two of the best teams in the division.....ummm, don't think so! It was a game between one of the best two teams in the division and a team which is 14th best in the division

So far I've seen "It's a misprint" "It felt like 6000" and "It was announced 5933"

Whatever the real figure, it's still less than half our average attendance.

There really is only one team in Bristol.

Was there EVER any doubt? :noexpression:

It was probably 6000, I didn't hear the official attendance but it definately wasn't 3933 :D

Yes don't get me started on the 40k at wembley, just like sunday will be a sell out as well. I'm a season ticket holder, and it pi**es me off when I hear that people I stand with week in and week out cant get a ticket for WBA because they didn't get to the ground early enough because of work commitments.

Everyone has their glory hunters, but I think our attendances could of been a lot better this season for our first season back in League 1. Just my opinion though :)

Ah, there you are. I feared the worst re the mass extinction when I read this:-

Conservationists today expressed grave concerns after the status of Blue Foul was amended to critically endangered.

They fear the species could become extinct in the wild within a generation, with estimates putting the remaining number of individuals at less than 6000. However, some claim there could be as few as 3933 left alive.

Blue Foul numbers have plummeted in the last decade as they struggle to compete with the more successful red variety. Reds are more intelligent, stronger and faster than their blue counterparts, and far less susceptible to loss of habitat.

Blues all but disappeared from their Bristol stronghold in the 1980s, but were controversially reintroduced from Bath in 1996, much to the annoyance of Bristolians, who have blamed them for the return of the Black Death to the westcountry.

A Captive breeding programme aimed at boosting the dwindling population has been established in Whorefield, but the programme has been bedevilled by problems. Many of the captive-bred Blues have developed hideous mutations and there has also been vocal criticism of the way the captive animals are treated, with allegations of regular beatings and unbearable torture such as being forced to watch Bristol Rovers matches. However, a police investigation found no evidence of overcrowding, and on the contrary felt each Blue had plenty of space at the Memorial Research Centre.

Many Blues also develop psychological problems, normally manifesting itself in an unshakeable inferiority complex in relation to the reds.

One of the few remaining breeding females, a specimen affectionately known to centre staff as 'Gasheadm', has even escaped from the centre and spent most of her time frattonising with the more appealing red males.

Professor Irene McPlop revealed that such survival instincts would sound the death knell for the beleagured Blue. She told National Geographic Magazine: 'This is a common occurence in nature, Gasheadm can see the Blue Foul's days are numbered, so she is turning her attention to the dominant red variety. Therefore, she is ensuring the species' survival, albeit her ancestors will all be red. I give the Blues 20 years and I think that's a generous assessment. The Whorefield Centre is severely under-funded and we are seriously considering moving our base to Cheltenham. Unfortunately, it would be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire as up there the Blues would merely be living in the shadow of another red Robin.'

;)

Before we start slinging mud, I'm sure that there are still quite a few on the forum who remember the dire 4th division crowds we had back then?

After the near 30,000 'fans' filling The Gate from the old 1st division days it only took 3 seasons before we could only barely muster 4,000 crowds in the league.

It only took that long to be deserted ( cos' that's all it was) by Ca. 26,000 glory chasers, those were ###### heartbreaking days.

I see your point but watched The Big Match on ITV4 last week ans Everton had 14,000 at home and went 4th in the old Div 1.

Times and crowds were rather different then so the comparison doesn't really cut the mustard.

Guest red ken 2
I had to have a chuckle to myself when the commentator for Rovers vs Doncaster game said it was a game between two of the best teams in the division.....ummm, don't think so! It was a game between one of the best two teams in the division and a team which is 14th best in the division

No doubt that commentator was Ben Orr of Radio Rugby/Gas, sums the station up really. No doubt reading the script wrote for him by Twentypants.

well said..you have many more hard core fans than us no argument there..just hope the real city fans get a chance with the tickets next season when you lot go up !!just get ready for the gloryhunters etc..and as the saying goes.."the gas the gas you,ll never get rid of the gas"..until we come back from Cheltenham that is..havent been on here for a week or so and youre still up there,don't worry about us we,ll survive..

I was there then. In 1983 we averaged 4,799 but the circumstances were completely different. If you consider we were 92nd in the league and were losing every game and playing teanagers (YTS mostly) because the Ashton Gate Eight had saved the club the season before, then the turnout looks admirable.

The season we were relegated to the fourth division we averaged 6,500. And barring the one disasterous season we have never averaged less than 6,500. Terry Cooper used to talk of having a core of 6,000 loyal supporters and he wasn't wrong. Our first season back in the third tier we averaged 8,500. We haven't averaged less than 11,000 in any of the last seven years. ----see here for City Averages and here for Saggy Average (both are post war attendance records).

Considering the sags will sell out for an FA Cup Quarter Final on Saturday it is stunning that so few went on Tuesday. We get nearly as many for a Youth Cup game these days. They have a chance of the play-offs with their games in hand. Where've they all gone? Rugby fans? Or watching Man Utd and Arsenal in Europe?

Ah, there you are. I feared the worst re the mass extinction when I read this:-

Conservationists today expressed grave concerns after the status of Blue Foul was amended to critically endangered.

They fear the species could become extinct in the wild within a generation, with estimates putting the remaining number of individuals at less than 6000. However, some claim there could be as few as 3933 left alive.

Blue Foul numbers have plummeted in the last decade as they struggle to compete with the more successful red variety. Reds are more intelligent, stronger and faster than their blue counterparts, and far less susceptible to loss of habitat.

Blues all but disappeared from their Bristol stronghold in the 1980s, but were controversially reintroduced from Bath in 1996, much to the annoyance of Bristolians, who have blamed them for the return of the Black Death to the westcountry.

A Captive breeding programme aimed at boosting the dwindling population has been established in Whorefield, but the programme has been bedevilled by problems. Many of the captive-bred Blues have developed hideous mutations and there has also been vocal criticism of the way the captive animals are treated, with allegations of regular beatings and unbearable torture such as being forced to watch Bristol Rovers matches. However, a police investigation found no evidence of overcrowding, and on the contrary felt each Blue had plenty of space at the Memorial Research Centre.

Many Blues also develop psychological problems, normally manifesting itself in an unshakeable inferiority complex in relation to the reds.

One of the few remaining breeding females, a specimen affectionately known to centre staff as 'Gasheadm', has even escaped from the centre and spent most of her time frattonising with the more appealing red males.

Professor Irene McPlop revealed that such survival instincts would sound the death knell for the beleagured Blue. She told National Geographic Magazine: 'This is a common occurence in nature, Gasheadm can see the Blue Foul's days are numbered, so she is turning her attention to the dominant red variety. Therefore, she is ensuring the species' survival, albeit her ancestors will all be red. I give the Blues 20 years and I think that's a generous assessment. The Whorefield Centre is severely under-funded and we are seriously considering moving our base to Cheltenham. Unfortunately, it would be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire as up there the Blues would merely be living in the shadow of another red Robin.'

;)

:laugh::laugh: , only just seen this, well done you with the funny user name :D, very funny, but I do have a sense of humour (no BRFC jokes please)

Not much to add except can anyone get me a ticket for the Liverpool game next season please :rolleyes::ph34r:

:laugh::laugh: , only just seen this, well done you with the funny user name :D, very funny, but I do have a sense of humour (no BRFC jokes please)

Thought you'd like it. Wish yer man PhilGas1 could chill out a bit. Get the impression he thinks every pop at Rovers on here is loaded with vitriol but it's all harmless fun. :)

Not much to add except can anyone get me a ticket for the Liverpool game next season please :rolleyes::ph34r:

Well, there's a lot of football to be played but if we do go up I'm sure it could be arranged. But what's in it for me? :wub:

You're not a Plazzy Scouser are you?

Archived