Upcoming Fixtures Are All Winnable

Nibor

Taking a look at the fixture list, the games left in March are as follows:

Sat 8 15:00 A Leicester City

Tue 11 19:45 H Watford

Sat 15 15:00 H Plymouth

Sat 22 15:00 A Cardiff City

Sat 29 15:00 H Norwich City

Leicester aren't a good side. Hollowhead will have them motivated, but motivation doesn't mean confidence and we have some unfinished business there after not doing ourselves justice at home. I think that is a game we can win.

Watford are an effective side, for me the second best after WBA, and their away form has been good all season. They'll be a tough nut to crack but I don't think we will get beaten at home. A draw most likely but if it's decided it will be by one goal and it won't be in Watford's favour - I fancy GJ to outwit Boothroyd tactically.

Plymouth are on a great run but again we're at home and they've lost their better players in S.E.B., Buszacky and Norris. Players they've brought in like Maclean and Easter just don't inspire.

Ninian Park must be one of our happiest hunting grounds on the road, we haven't lost there in the regular league season since 1971. Cardiff are shit this season but not shit enough to be in a relegation scrap, by this point they will have nowt to play for and Jones will be wondering when he's going to get canned.

Norwich have been a decent side for the last 15 or so games under Roeder and they carry some threat but home advantage and the fact that Cureton never scores against us should help.

So all in all, I'd say each of those games was winnable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting to win all of them at all, it's just that there aren't any I look at with any fear of losing. I'd take a point against Watford because of the added risk of them making up ground, but the others I wouldn't take a draw from at all.

If we took 10 points from the next 5 games we'd almost certainly be top with 6 to go - I'd be ###### delighted with that and I don't see why that isn't achievable.

I think I'm starting to have trouble keeping the dreams of promotion in check...

Guest Eamer

I can see us taking 10 points from those five quite comfortably. We're in good form and GJ has certainly got them all in the right frame of mind to keep it up. Not long to go now. Every point will make a difference. If we ever wanted to average more than 1.7ppg we've been getting so far the time is now.

Leicester aren't a good side. Hollowhead will have them motivated

Agreed, but my concern is he'll have them try every trick in the book to beat us.

Plymouth are on a great run but again we're at home and they've lost their better players in S.E.B., Buszacky and Norris. Players they've brought in like Maclean and Easter just don't inspire.

A derby game and very tough. Here's hoping we can repeat the result over them at AG late in the season 2003/2004 when they went up as Champs (but without the final result for us, obviously...) Hopefully another 19,000 crowd too.

Ninian Park must be one of our happiest hunting grounds on the road, we haven't lost there in the regular league season since 1971. Cardiff are shit this season but not shit enough to be in a relegation scrap, by this point they will have nowt to play for and Jones will be wondering when he's going to get canned.

I'm bricking it about this one - putting a spoke in our promotion hopes is something to play for as far as they are concerned. Chuck in an intimidating atmosphere and it's defintiely loseable.

The games you metion are definitely key to whether we go up.

COME ON CITY!!!!!

If we finish above both Stoke and Watford we will go up automatically.

With ten games to go you have to plan for either Stoke or Watford to get at least 20 more points, which would put one of them on 82 points. Therefore, 83 for us should be enough, which means 18 more points or the 6 wins GJ has been talking about.

Can we win 6 more games? Oh yes we can.

Leceister (A)

Plymouth (H)

Norwich (H)

Wolves (H)

Southampton(A)

Preston(H)

Look the most likely, but we are more than capable of beating Watford (H) and Cardiff (A) and I don't think we will lose at Stoke which only leaves Sheff Utd (A). This could be our most difficult game because 2nd last game of the season they could be in deep pooh. The same could be said of Preston, but by the last game it's usually done or dusted one way or another as with Rotherham last year.

We can really do this boys, we really can.

Leicester's definately winnable and I'd have GJ would be thinking of that as one of those 6 wins we need.

Watford have the best away record in the league so to get anything out of that would be a bonus but essentially we have to avoid defeat at all costs.

Plymouth and Cardiff will be two similar games in the sense that they'll both be tense, nip and tuck style games which will probably be settled by the odd goal either way. Both are winnable but far from easy games.

Norwich seem to have hit a bit of form recently and will be tough but, like Leicester, it should be one of those 6 games GJ's targetting a maximum haul from.

I personally don't think our run-in is too bad. As long as we keep are heads, especially in the 'derby' games then we could come out of it with a reinforced charge at the top.

Leicester aren't a good side. Hollowhead will have them motivated, but motivation doesn't mean confidence and we have some unfinished business there after not doing ourselves justice at home. I think that is a game we can win.

AND THEY LOST AT HOME TO PRESTON LAST NIGHT

Watford are an effective side, for me the second best after WBA, and their away form has been good all season. They'll be a tough nut to crack but I don't think we will get beaten at home. A draw most likely but if it's decided it will be by one goal and it won't be in Watford's favour - I fancy GJ to outwit Boothroyd tactically.

BOTH SCORED LAST NIGHT....

POSSIBLY BEFORE OUR GAME ????? :fingerscrossed:

Norwich have been a decent side for the last 15 or so games under Roeder and they carry some threat but home advantage and the fact that Cureton never scores against us should help.

So all in all, I'd say each of those games was winnable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting to win all of them at all, it's just that there aren't any I look at with any fear of losing. I'd take a point against Watford because of the added risk of them making up ground, but the others I wouldn't take a draw from at all.

If we took 10 points from the next 5 games we'd almost certainly be top with 6 to go - I'd be ###### delighted with that and I don't see why that isn't achievable.

I think I'm starting to have trouble keeping the dreams of promotion in check...

Nibor,

thank you VERY much for this topic. After running through the promotion calculator(on another thread), I was downbeat, but now I am very excited again.... watch out Mrs Easton Boy I'm coming home.....

If we win our next 2 games we'll be in a very strong position, 71 points with 8 games left would be dreamland. Having said that, we could just as easily lose the next 2 aswell.

In that block Nibor has highlighted I would predict;

Leicester 3,

Watford 1,

Plymouth 3,

Cardiff 0,

Norwich 3;

That'd put us in an amazing position of having 75 points with 5 left, yes please!

Watford is the one game that I'm not sure about.They are a very good away side and have the best record in the CCC having won 10 away and lost only 3.They'll be confident and will fancy turning us over especially with so much at stake.

Very tough game next Tuesday at AG.

Great post Nibor........exactly the same kind of line that I've been going down - I think we need another 20 points from the remaining games - looking at what we've got coming up, we could well see ourselve's virtually there by the start of April.

Watford is the one game that I'm not sure about.They are a very good away side and have the best record in the CCC having won 10 away and lost only 3.They'll be confident and will fancy turning us over especially with so much at stake.

Very tough game next Tuesday at AG.

Not so sure they will be confident of turning us over , but will make sure they don't lose the game as a win for us will bring us nearer to the promised land leaving them in a battle with WBA and Stoke for what could be one place .

They will not want the points gap between us and them to have grown on their departure.

McCombe to sort out Shittu , who is a worry at set pieces .

They do have a very good away record but then we have a very good home record .

Archived