IGNORED

Worrying Comments From The Chairman

Barrs Court Red

"There has been too much apathy and too many excuses in Bristol in the past and we're doing our best to try and change that. We now need the public to prove they want top-level sport by turning out and supporting the team.

"Anything less will force us to plan our future accordingly. We are seeing increased support and enthusiasm for football from local government and we now need the business community and the public to come on board as well."

So could it be that the club may tone down its ambition to match the apathy of this region?

It'd be a crying shame for those of us that have bothered down through the years see our club stunted because of those that can only be bothered for cup finals and big games.

I liked the comment regarding local government, a sure sign that they are being helpfull with a new ground.

So could it be that the club may tone down its ambition to match the apathy of this region?

It'd be a crying shame for those of us that have bothered down through the years see our club stunted because of those that can only be bothered for cup finals and big games.

I liked the comment regarding local government, a sure sign that they are being helpfull with a new ground.

Lansdowns comments are a well timed rallying call but also an attempt to increase gate revenue.He is after all a buisnessman.

As a ST holder these paper comments usually pass me by as I'll be at AG whatever.

Lets not forget that there ain't usually much football to report on a thursday.....

I wholly agree with what Mr Chairman had to say. It's shocking that we went top of the league in front of less than 15,000 City fans.

Many people, including me, have criticised the prices in the past but we're now in a situation where we should be easily selling out. Bristol has 1 of the biggest populations in the country, these people should be getting down the Gate. Everyone has personal situations where they can't attend certain games, but why haven't we got other fans behind them who can attend?

Can I also suggest that SL can see the very definate possibility of promotion which, whilst very exciting, brings a lot of financial responsibility, not only in terms of reward but also in outgoing costs. As Chairman (and a very good one IMHO) maybe he is getting a little nervous as well. Only human I think, as we would all be the same in his shoes.

Smacks of a lack of understanding.

I suppose we could take out bank loans to continue watching our team which is not a flippant comment because i am not far off now.

Its too expensive for many now, the club were warned and even the CEO wanted to set the prices lower.

Reaping what was sowed here.

Perhaps Bristol City only has a hardcore base of just over 14k ??? or everyone else is not interested in going to every game and only wants to go to the big games ??

If everyone in this city was on over £30k a year, then perhaps there is a strong chance of sell outs every game, but most of the citys population is not and going to a match is classed as a luxury nowadays.

All I am saying is with prices going up everywhere you turn, the average punter has to weigh up whether they can afford this luxury.

Perhaps Bristol City only has a hardcore base of just over 14k ??? or everyone else is not interested in going to every game and only wants to go to the big games ??

If everyone in this city was on over £30k a year, then perhaps there is a strong chance of sell outs every game, but most of the citys population is not and going to a match is classed as a luxury nowadays.

All I am saying is with prices going up everywhere you turn, the average punter has to weigh up whether they can afford this luxury.

Interesting thread in view of my comments in the SL 'Battle cry' thread.....

Most recent games have been close to a home sell out which, given the extortionate prices, is exceptional support.

3000+ seats are not on sale every game.

Forget 19,000+ gates, it's impossible.

We have a total of around 16,000 home seats to sell, and they will be sold out for the rest of the season.

Offer the closed seats to supporters in good time and, if they aren't sold, he's entitled to moan.

Opening day was 18k+ and prices have not chnaged since then so forget that

We should be pulling same 18k+ now

I think the chairman is talking more to the business investment types with his comments rather than the common fan - of which we can only accomodate18/19k anyway -

Lets see the colour of your investment money Bristol

Show you support the local team by buying more of our Prawn sandwiches etc

This 'debate' is an old chestnut.

Its not that the Bristol public aren't interested in City its simply the cost of attending games for the occaisional fan.Its been the same all season which is why incentives have been introduced in previous games.

There is a hard-core of around 12k City that show up most weeks and the fact that City have been getting gates of around 15k despite the high cost reflects that there is plenty of interest out there.

At the end of the day Lansdown has only himself to blame - he admits that he set the prices at the start of the season and like anything else that overpriced many people simply won't pay the asking price.

If the club want full houses for the remainder of the season then they should seriously look at more price reducing intiatives. Buying all the remaining home games in a block with a decent discount might be worth looking at.

Opening day was 18k+ and prices have not chnaged since then so forget that

We should be pulling same 18k+ now

We can't unless the away side sells as many tickets as QPR did.

There are around 3,000 tickets in the EE not on sale for every match.

But from Steves point of view, £28 for a match is nothing, if you support the club, you should attend. (Probably just one hours interest return from his bank account ???)

Perhaps he needs to live on the breadline for a while like loads of City fans and then get asked to fork this money out for 90 mins entertainment.

We can't unless the away side sells as many tickets as QPR did.

There are around 3,000 tickets in the EE not on sale for every match.

Exactly, I'm not too sure what he is on about. If these seats were released for sale the same time as all the others than I can see his point - but they are not. The Dolman, Atyeo and Williams have looked virtually full for most games recently. For some people, turning up and getting a late ticket for the east end isnt all that appealing.

If the club want full houses for the remainder of the season then they should seriously look at more price reducing intiatives. Buying all the remaining home games in a block with a decent discount might be worth looking at.

That would do me. Due to my location I haven't been able to buy a season ticket but would definitely look at buying something like that and spend all my money on petrol getting to the Gate once a week if it guaranteed me a seat for the final game of the season.

I do sympathise with those who can't afford it, and yes I agree that you simply cannot attend every week however BRISTOL CITY FOOTBALL CLUB are on the verge on the Premiership, the people of Bristol SHOULD be making that extra effort, christ Bristol is not some poor city! we have some of the worlds largest companies and the people of Bristol work for them?

Surely one less night in the pub will save you £50? why not spend £28 of it watching us possibly achieve something we haven't done for 30 years!

There's always going to be two sides to every coin, and that's my veiw.

This is an old old old chestnut and has been going on throughout the season.

Nevertheless and ultimately, what Nibor says is correct and unless the away team sells out their allocation, we will not get near the 19K mark. There aren't enough home seats!

What needs to be done is better forecasting of away support and selling tickets for the EE before the actual day of the game. People cannot plan their lives around the 'hope' that the EE will be open.

No doubt ticket prices have an influential factor on attendances (and are about £5 too expensive to POD IMO) but I don't think this excuse can keep on rolling considering our league position and possible finish to the season.

I take my son to matches, so it cost me £56 plus food and drinks its more like £70 per match...Sol its going to the gate or paying the council tax this month... eh let me think.... ok the Council will have to wait until the end of the season.. :-)

I do sympathise with those who can't afford it, and yes I agree that you simply cannot attend every week however BRISTOL CITY FOOTBALL CLUB are on the verge on the Premiership, the people of Bristol SHOULD be making that extra effort, christ Bristol is not some poor city! we have some of the worlds largest companies and the people of Bristol work for them?

Surely one less night in the pub will save you £50? why not spend £28 of it watching us possibly achieve something we haven't done for 30 years!

(but your certain of a good time in the pub and it will last ALL evening :winner_third_h4h: )

The first bit of your paragraph explains why to the rest of your paragraph. :innocent06:

Surely one less night in the pub will save you £50?[/size] why not spend £28 of it watching us possibly achieve something we haven't done for 30 years!

Christ, if you can spend £50 a night in a pub, you are NOT the average supporter :shocking:

Fair shout from the chair.

To be honest i think here on in crowds will really start to grow, i was amased and proud of all of us that went to charlton and think form now to the end of the season our support will rocket both home and away.

Sustained success and prices will see our attendances steadily rise IMO.

I should imagine the club also anticipate much larger home support, as refusing to give Plymouth any more tickets than the bare minimum shows. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the East End opened up tomorrow for the Watford game, and potentially the Plymouth game as well (based on nothing else other than sheer gut feeling and fact that if not either there is not teh support I would have imagined for this game, or the club aren't using it as an overflow).

I guess what some people don't realise is quite a few of are supporters don't work or live in bristol and a few have crappy paid jobs like stacking shelfs in morrisons in newport during the night to make a living because theres not much work around, also after having paid £425 for my season ticket which the wife moaned about i have to fork out another £425 by mid april to book my seat for next season which means £850 in less than a year on a income of £13000 a year after tax ,when i have a mortgage to pay is a lot of money and when my kids ask if they can come to games the answer is no as i just cant afford it,and I'm sure there are hundreds of us in the same boat weather we play in prem or championship it dosnt matter its still a lot of money for one person to go to games.....rant over :surrender:

I guess what some people don't realise is quite a few of are supporters don't work or live in bristol and a few have crappy paid jobs like stacking shelfs in morrisons in newport during the night to make a living because theres not much work around, also after having paid £425 for my season ticket which the wife moaned about i have to fork out another £425 by mid april to book my seat for next season which means £850 in less than a year on a income of £13000 a year after tax ,when i have a mortgage to pay is a lot of money and when my kids ask if they can come to games the answer is no as i just cant afford it,and I'm sure there are hundreds of us in the same boat weather we play in prem or championship it dosnt matter its still a lot of money for one person to go to games.....rant over :surrender:

Candidate for the longest sentence of the year award :winner_third_h4h:

Things might have changed, but I remember reading a report a few years back about Bristol City being unique. Unique in that there's a very high number of affluent people and a very high number of breadline people with not much inbetween. In most cities, there's a reasonable spread of people in the various categories of wealth.

As a result, the average income for person in Bristol is not bad since the affluent offset the breadliners, which is why Bristol itself receives very little government funding. Which is very bad and unfair news for the breadline group.

Perhaps the mega-affluent don't like football unless they're tempted by a grand glory day out, the breadline group like football but can't afford it and there's not many people in the sweet-spot - people who like football and have the disposable income to afford it?

Archived