IGNORED

Leicester Travel

Lee F

last time I went to leicester in the Cup, went via CATS........what a farce......Coach got lost, because our driver thought he knew a shortcut, despite the other 15 or so coaches leaving the motorway at the "leicester" exit.

then when we got to leicester we were made to wait in dual carriageway lie by for an hour due to the police and then when we got to the ground we where filled straight into the ground.

tomorrow......I'm painting the bathroom.

To be honest, i took the lazy option with the coach. Never been on CATs before but i have a real thing about parking my car in places i don't know, was never going to drive. Trains always seem overpriced. Id rather catch a train CHippenham to BTM and then nice stroll down to AG and get taken right in.

Plus ive got my new ipod to keep me entertained!

what pubs are people going to beforehand? was reading this...

Pubs

The ground is walkable from the city centre (15-20 minutes), where there are plenty of pubs to be found. Most of the pubs near to the stadium are home fans only. In particular 'The Victory' and 'The F Bar' pubs should be particularly avoided by visiting supporters. Plus the 'Half Time Orange' pub located just over the road from the away end, is a members-only Leicester City bar.

Andy Jobson a visiting Southampton fan informs me; 'Probably the best bet for away fans is the Counting House pub on Freemens Common Road. It has a good mix of both sets of supporters, with all the normal facilities on offer'. Beaumont Fox adds; 'This pub is located just off the Aylestone Road, past the Local Hero pub (home fans only) and the Mecca Bingo Hall. It does though exclude away supporters when the game is deemed to be a 'high profile' one'.

Andrew Whitefield a visiting Ipswich supporter also recommends 'The Leicester Gateway, on Gateway Street, near to the hospital. This is quite a big pub, busy but not overcrowded, with a mixture of home and away fans. It offers a wide selection of beers, including real ales and has a simple match day menu for food of burgers, sausage baps, chips etc... which were enjoyable and good value'. With the away entrance at your back, turn left and go along the back of the stand. When you reach the Leicester City Club Shop, bear right and cross over the road. Follow this road down to the junction with Upperton Road. Turn right at the t-junction and then you need to cross over the road to the opposite side and then continue right to you reach Jarrom Street. Go along Jarrom Street and take the fourth left into Gateway Street. The pub is a short distance along this road on the right.

For those arriving by train then 'The Hind' pub across the road from the station serves a selection of real ales. Otherwise alcohol is available inside the stadium.

anyone been before and know which ones are best? also which ones will have most of the cider army in?

Archived