IGNORED

Lee Johnson

BITW

Someone somewhere has to make a mistake whenever a goal is scored. Elliot has been BRILLIANT all season so lets not start getting petty over one mistake eh.

Not getting petty mate, just stating the facts from today's game. All I said was he was very poor today and at fault for both goals. If I remember LJ gets blamed for every goal scored against us! :laugh:!

Still Elliott has been fantanstic for most of the season, but the last 4/5 matches he's been off the pace.

I'm not going to get all negative afterall we are still second and only by goal difference. However, a player often criticised on here, Lee Johnson was sorely missed today IMO. I'm not saying we would of won if he played or whatever but his absence showed in todays performance. We did create some chances, but I feel we definatly missed his creativety and delivery. I felt today just goes to show what LJ does actually offer this team and what a good player he is. I hope he makes a speedy recovery... :fingerscrossed:

Anyway heres for a win at Baaaddiff on saturday :englandsmile4wf::fingerscrossed:

I spoke to him after the game he was limping back to his Car, he told me he was hoping to play next Saturday :fingerscrossed:

Not getting petty mate, just stating the facts from today's game. All I said was he was very poor today and at fault for both goals. If I remember LJ gets blamed for every goal scored against us! :laugh:!

Still Elliott has been fantanstic for most of the season, but the last 4/5 matches he's been off the pace.

Elliot wasn't on the pitch when the second goal was scored!

At first I thought we might be missing him simply because he is such a familiar figure in the midfield that it seemed weird not to have him there.

But I think Johnson helps to keep a high tempo to our game which we need to get the opposition on the back foot in the absence of a Bob Taylor type who could score from all over the penalty box with sheer power.

I agree LJ's set piece delivery is key and as it has been him working on this all season and building understandings, clearly we are going to miss him. LJ gets noticed more when a pass goes astray but when he keeps it all ticking over with completed passes people tend not to notice the work he is doing.

Off hand I don't know how many goals we have scored from set pieces this season but I'm fairly sure it's an improvement on the many times we never seemed to score from corners.

Carle looks okay without being a huge threat at the moment. Elliott has been relatively quiet for a few games although he was a threat in the air in their box from some of those set pieces. Against Plymouth, much of the midfield play was going on around him.

I can understand why Wilson started but he did not help the attack at all. After that shot against the bar at Leicester, it is odd that he hasn't tried a few more similar bombing-on runs. But if he's not going to we're better off with Sproule's pace on that side.

I'm hoping it was just a bad day at the office. They have a free week now and will be ready to go again at Baadiff, possibly with Brooker in the mix. Usually the boys have bounced back well from setbacks this season. Keep the faith.

LJ has had 2 seasons to grow into his midfield slot, nobody else has had a look in.

Prior to LJ we had a successful midfield of Noble with Skuse/Russell and Artus coming through. Since LJ, these 4 players have had their careers put on the backburner, 2 of them coming from the City Academy.

Since the arrival of Carle, LJ's form has certainly improved, however imo, prior to that he was average or less. If any other of Skuse, Artus or Noble had been given the same opportunities, I'me talking about 2 seasons without being substituted or challenged for their place in the starting eleven, they could well have been as good or better.

As for the dead ball delivery, that shows how few of you have actually played the game at a respectable level.

Every Downs league team, reserves teams etc, etc have a dead ball man or two. Its not rocket science, no pressure, just kick a ball to a given area at a given speed. We are raised from birth doing this, its a heritage. I certainly would not select someone who could kick a ball from A to B without opposition pressure, thats a nonsense.

Having said that, LJ shows that he is fit, committed and a 90 minute team man. IMO I think we have 2 or 3 other players who can do a job in the same position, given equal opportunity.I don't say better, but without an extended opportunity how can we tell ?

As for the dead ball delivery, that shows how few of you have actually played the game at a respectable level.

Every Downs league team, reserves teams etc, etc have a dead ball man or two. Its not rocket science, no pressure, just kick a ball to a given area at a given speed. We are raised from birth doing this, its a heritage. I certainly would not select someone who could kick a ball from A to B without opposition pressure, thats a nonsense.

What a joke of a comment. It's really that easy to perfect set-piece delivery is it? Quite simply - no it isn't! How often do you see Premiership games where players can't get the corner past the first man? Every weekend probably. Johnson's set-piece delivery is a class above most others out there, hence the fact we score a large amount of our goals from his corners and free kicks. Any downs league player can lump a ball into the box from a corner - it's not that simple though is it!

What a joke of a comment. It's really that easy to perfect set-piece delivery is it? Quite simply - no it isn't! How often do you see Premiership games where players can't get the corner past the first man? Every weekend probably. Johnson's set-piece delivery is a class above most others out there, hence the fact we score a large amount of our goals from his corners and free kicks. Any downs league player can lump a ball into the box from a corner - it's not that simple though is it!

Having coached on three Continents, it is not a joke comment. Its simply a matter of practice makes perfect. As for selections, how can you select a player just because he can kick a dead ball. As for a large amount of our goals......we don't have a large amount of goals, in fact we don't score enough goals. No creativity from the midfield being a major concern. We are in the top two because of an excellent keeper and an excellent defence which scores far more than the midfield.

Having coached on three Continents, it is not a joke comment. Its simply a matter of practice makes perfect. As for selections, how can you select a player just because he can kick a dead ball. As for a large amount of our goals......we don't have a large amount of goals, in fact we don't score enough goals. No creativity from the midfield being a major concern. We are in the top two because of an excellent keeper and an excellent defence which scores far more than the midfield.

Totally agree. ANY professional footballer, with abit of practise, should be able to deliver a good ball into the box from a free kick or Corner.

Anyway heres for a win at Baaaddiff on saturday :englandsmile4wf::fingerscrossed:

As I wrote in another thread: I believe we really missed the Lee Johnson passing dynamo in midfield yesterday and his absence was the main reason for us losing. However, the good news, the FA Cup has really helped us this season with our promotion rivals WBA losing heavily because their players were more interested in the FA Cup Semis than beating Hollowhead's Leicester. :winner_third_h4h:

Same with Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadiff, surely they'll be more interested in focusing on the FA Cup than beating us. :winner_third_h4h:

uuh yes the defence does score lots of goals .......from set pieces from ...oh yes Lee Johnson, come on credit where credit is due.

You are right in that anyone can "kick the ball into the box" but to do it with pace on a consistant level is not easy. Even players like Tinnion struggled to deliver a pacy ball right in the mix most of the tim

e, we had to rely on his floaters that were easily delt with.

It will be interesting what GJ does next week as Nick Carle had a very good second half, but we did miss LJ. I think he will play Nick carle and LJ in the middle as Elliott is obviously carrying a knock.

We definitely missed LJ's set pieces yesterday, we had no threat from them at all.

On the other hand one thing I did notice was that with nobody taking the ball off centre backs and chipping it forward we did use the flanks a lot more than usual which would have worked great had Wilson and McIndoe not both tucked in too much.

I just don't understand the Carle love in.

For me, he has been an enigma since he joined the club. Plenty of flash touches and Cruff turns on the half way line, but no end product and no guile which was evidently missing during the Plymouth game. We have played him, up front, in the hole, right left and centre midfield and i still don't understand what he brings to the team. Can anyone recall a chance he has created? 12 games, 0 goals and 0 assists wouldn't be enough to stop LJ, Sproule or McIndoe receiving abuse, so why does this not apply to our Aussie?

We sorely missed Lee Johnson on saturday. The link up play between defence and midfield wasn't there and also his continual 'want' of the ball. Elliott isn't performing at present, and that's fine as he's been fantastic for us and we have no alternative. But without johnson, we didn't look like the same animal.

He's hoping Lee is fit for Cardiff. And Trundle starts up front.

At the beginning of the season and for the first half of the season, I was of the opinion that LJ was inconsistent and not better than Noble(who i rate). But the second half of this season, Lee Johnson hasnt had a bad game and has become a key player.

We clearly missed LJ on saturday and although Nick Carle showed little bits of class here and there, I don't think he played very well at all.

Archived