IGNORED

Argyle 2 No Guile 1

Blagdon red

Like the headline although No Guile were at home of course.

"No guile" does sum it up quite well. We enjoyed a huge amount of pressure in the first half without making any real chances. McIndoe, Wilson and Sproule had plenty of opportunities to deliver a great cross but I really can't recall one!

I'm surprised you didn't mention the 4-4-2 (I think!) formation. For me, Byfield was woeful. He didn't look to harry their defenders at any point and what's the point of Adebola (who also looks unfit?!?) winning the knock-ons if Byfield is stood 30 yards away from him.

Finally, what is it with the Plan B which seems to be "put the big bloke upfront in a 3-4-3 and lump it forward". No guile and disappointing.

Like the headline although No Guile were at home of course.

"No guile" does sum it up quite well. We enjoyed a huge amount of pressure in the first half without making any real chances. McIndoe, Wilson and Sproule had plenty of opportunities to deliver a great cross but I really can't recall one!

I'm surprised you didn't mention the 4-4-2 (I think!) formation. For me, Byfield was woeful. He didn't look to harry their defenders at any point and what's the point of Adebola (who also looks unfit?!?) winning the knock-ons if Byfield is stood 30 yards away from him.

Finally, what is it with the Plan B which seems to be "put the big bloke upfront in a 3-4-3 and lump it forward". No guile and disappointing.

I know I'm going to get absolutley slated but imo Mcindoes final ball and crossing is shocking, he rarely beats the first man and is something that needs to be worked on as he has a lot in his game to be a good winger!

Question for BB or anyone else who knows.

What injury is Elliot carrying?

I don't see him receiving any treatment during the game, on Saturday I assumed he had got a knock trying to retrieve the ball he had given away, and he hasn't been substituted recently (if at all).

I think it's simply a case of a young player playing too many games and being unable to maintain his early season form.

The advantage now is that we have 1 game per week until the end of the season, time to regroup and refocus.

We will be promoted.

Elliott got whacked towards the end of the Colchester match on the 12th January and was limping heavily then, bbut wasn't substituted. Yesterday he collided with a goalpost after attempting to block the shot that Basso saved for a corner which resulted in Argyle's second goal.

(Staggeringly, Marvin had to leave the pitch for treatment but wasn't allowed back on in time to defend the flag kick.)

He's not been dominating midfield for the last 8-10 City matches and could do with a well-earned break, but I'm not sure whether his likely replacement, Cole Skuse is fit, or out of favour?

I know I'm going to get absolutley slated but imo Mcindoes final ball and crossing is shocking, he rarely beats the first man and is something that needs to be worked on as he has a lot in his game to be a good winger!

Correct.

Decent player but goes walk about far to much, doesn't get to the byeline and cross enough and, TBH, flatters to decieve on occassions.

Correct.

Decent player but goes walk about far to much, doesn't get to the byeline and cross enough and, TBH, flatters to decieve on occassions.

That's a little harsh I think. McIndoe is a definite contender for Man of the Season IMHO. Nevertheless, I think we all agree his crossing is not as good as it could be. But, I assume he is going walk about because he is under licence to do so.

Sproule also annoys me no end. Is he right footed or left? He constantly beats his man for pace but seems reluctant to cross with his right foot. Instead he invariably comes inside and on to his left foot. Strange.

The last outstanding attacking display was against Ipswich (I think?) when McIndoe and Sproule switched wings. Somehow this seemed to bring out the best in both players. However, it hasn't happened since. Not sure why?

That's a little harsh I think. McIndoe is a definite contender for Man of the Season IMHO. Nevertheless, I think we all agree his crossing is not as good as it could be. But, I assume he is going walk about because he is under licence to do so.

Sproule also annoys me no end. Is he right footed or left? He constantly beats his man for pace but seems reluctant to cross with his right foot. Instead he invariably comes inside and on to his left foot. Strange.

The last outstanding attacking display was against Ipswich (I think?) when McIndoe and Sproule switched wings. Somehow this seemed to bring out the best in both players. However, it hasn't happened since. Not sure why?

Please can you tell me what Mcindoe has done to be man of the season? He is an attacking player who for me does a lot of tricks and running but the end result ie goals and assists is minimal.

GJ has chosen to stick with what he's got and in his words not disrespect his players by making panic loans which, as has been pointed out, have not helped anyone else.

Team spirit will have to do.

These are the players that have got us to 2nd in the league with 7 to go. Perhaps we should have some faith?

The only team in form at the moment is Hull and they are hopefully to far back :pray: but our rivals are struggling too.

I don't think any of us would argue that WBA have the best team in the league and have scored a million goals etc etc..

They lost 4-1 on Sat........ at home............ to Holloway........ and their fans are more worried than us.

Lets face it, we aint going to get any loans in , its going to be 4-5-1 and the odd goal here and there, we might fail in the auto spots but i'm proud of them and wherever we finish its been a great 1st season back in the champ.

Yes , i know its our best chance for 35 yrs to get into the top div, but loans and moans wont get us there, hearts and big round balls will.

you reds

I think this report is a little unfair. City showed lots of guile. If this game had been played at the Memorial Ground they would still be harping on about the two penalties the referee failed to give before he finally gave us a spot-kick...a trip in the first half and an obvious handball in the second. We created as many if not more chances than Plymouth in the game. They only managed to scramble a second goal while we were down to 10 men and had a goalie that was injured. Sadly our strikers (not for the first time) did not match the clinical finishing of the opposition, who had Fallon in outstanding form. We did miss the set piece balls in from Johnson and maybe some of his hard work in midfield making himself available for the defence to pass to...Carle's best work is going forward not picking the ball up from deep.

Some City fans seem to think the opposition will always be there for the taking. Plymouth played out of their skins to beat us and probably just deserved it on the day - although I thought a draw would have been a fairer reflection of the play. Look how their fans celebrated and sang about how they are going up - and yet they are nine points adrift of us! If we had lost a game earlier in the season and won this one to go second everybody would be on here celebrating. We are in a fantastic position and the players we have can...and in my opinion...will make it to the Premier League...who is going to finish above us....WBA...got hammered at home by Leicester anbd have one eye on the cup...Watford...hoofing the ball and have another player suspended after kicking Stoke around....Stoke...keep drawing games and still have to face City at home....maybe Plymouth who are nine points behind with seven games to go. We just need to keep our nerve and grind out the results starting at Cardiff.

I think this report is a little unfair. City showed lots of guile.

Can't agree and neither, bye the way, does GJ.

If this game had been played at the Memorial Ground they would still be harping on about the two penalties the referee failed to give before he finally gave us a spot-kick...a trip in the first half and an obvious handball in the second.

Having just watched the highlights on World the trip wasn't obvious more of a coming together but we should have had a penalty when Adebola's shot was blocked by the defenders arm.Equally they could have had a penalty when Carey held Easter in the second.

We created as many if not more chances than Plymouth in the game. They only managed to scramble a second goal while we were down to 10 men and had a goalie that was injured. Sadly our strikers (not for the first time) did not match the clinical finishing of the opposition, who had Fallon in outstanding form.

Agree with that and Fallon had scored two in 20 before yesterday

We did miss the set piece balls in from Johnson and maybe some of his hard work in midfield making himself available for the defence to pass to...Carle's best work is going forward not picking the ball up from deep.

Then play Skuse or recall Russell-That's abot ten games without a goal or assist for Carle

Some City fans seem to think the opposition will always be there for the taking. Plymouth played out of their skins to beat us and probably just deserved it on the day - although I thought a draw would have been a fairer reflection of the play.

A draw would have been a fair result and Plymouth weren't great by any standard.

Look how their fans celebrated and sang about how they are going up - and yet they are nine points adrift of us!

So what?

If we had lost a game earlier in the season and won this one to go second everybody would be on here celebrating.

But we didn't, we're not and I can't see what that's got to do with anything?

We are in a fantastic position and the players we have can...and in my opinion...will make it to the Premier League...who is going to finish above us....WBA...got hammered at home by Leicester anbd have one eye on the cup...Watford...hoofing the ball and have another player suspended after kicking Stoke around....Stoke...keep drawing games and still have to face City at home....maybe Plymouth who are nine points behind with seven games to go. We just need to keep our nerve and grind out the results starting at Cardiff.

Hope you're right, however four games wthout a goal in open play, two home games and one point with one goal doesn't sound like we're much better ourselves at present and that hoofball team will go above us if they win they're game in hand.

Bristol Boy, how many goals and assists does Noble have this season?

you make an interesting point.

Noble has had ONE goal and TWO assists this season, very poor.

even more interesting is last season Noble had ONE assist, when compared to LJ with 12, Enoch with 8, McAllister and Brooker with 7, it doesn't exactly make good reason.

his goal record of 5 league goals in 3 years since joining City, sums up for my why Noble isn't the answer and definately isn't the creative force that everyone makes him out to be.

I actually thought it was less then 2.

Noble is a strange one for me. He can keep the ball and do the little twist and turns brilliantly. But thats it, he doesnt really make a massive difference in terms of goals and assists, which makes BB slating of Carle and praising of Noble abit bizarre.

Noble is a strange one for me. He can keep the ball and do the little twist and turns brilliantly. But thats it, he doesnt really make a massive difference in terms of goals and assists, which makes BB slating of Carle and praising of Noble abit bizarre.

that pretty much sums up my thoughts on him perfectly, plus of course the obvious that come 60-70mins he generally goes missing,

Bristol Boy, how many goals and assists does Noble have this season?

More than Carle

you make an interesting point.

So no goals & no assists is better than one & two? Also being the catalyst for some of our better performances-Sheff Utd home, Norwich away second half.

even more interesting is last season Noble had ONE assist, when compared to LJ with 12, Enoch with 8, McAllister and Brooker with 7, it doesn't exactly make good reason.

Not interesting or surprising based on appearances & the fact that LJ & McAllister took every set piece.

his goal record of 5 league goals in 3 years since joining City, sums up for my why Noble isn't the answer and definately isn't the creative force that everyone makes him out to be.

"Everyone" in this case is quite correct and your recent post undermining the lad after the Watford game got slated.We are a better team playing 4-4-1-1 with Noble in the hole than we are with 4-4-2 and Noble out of the team.When we sign Henry & Eto, we can play 4-4-2 all day and night providing other key players such as Elliott are fit-Until then let's stick to what we do best and that's pass it, retain it and eek out odd goal wins-Signings are the only alternative and GJ says he won't be making any, so we are where we are.

Firstly, Nick Carle doesn't get slated anymore than anyone else and that assessment is way of the mark.I'll rate him the same as the other players and, whilst I think he's a decent player (You'll see that I'd pick him in the XI for Cardiff next week in another post) he hasn't fulfilled his early promise.One reason for that is GJ's decision to play him on the right flank and narrow the pitch.That's right up there with Cole Skuse on the left flank as a weird decision.On the occassions he's played in the hole he's looked decent, no more.

He's obviously very left sided and better suited to a central midfield role.Now that LJ's going to be out for a few games and Skuse may be injured we have no alternative other than to partner Carle with Elliott.

If you check his ratings you'll find he's fared no worse than Noble recently.However for an attacking midfielder no goals and no assists in ten or so appearances isn't great, is it?

My belief is that we are a better team with Noble in than out and on Saturday we should go back to 4-4-1-1 with Carle & Elliott in central midfield and Noble in the hole.

that pretty much sums up my thoughts on him perfectly, plus of course the obvious that come 60-70mins he generally goes missing,

When he left the field against Watford he looked as fit as anyone else at that point.Noble, won't knock people over or cover every inch of the pitch ala Elliott-However, he will give us angles,movement and possession that other players wont.The other point is that players like LJ & Marv go up about 10/15% when Noble's around and if we pass the ball as we did in the second half against Norwich we can beat Cardiff.

Either that or go 4-4-2 like we did at QPR and whoosh it-I know which I prefer.

So no goals & no assists is better than one & two? Also being the catalyst for some of our better performances-Sheff Utd home, Norwich away second half.

that's TWO good performances then for Noble over a season, GREAT, but for those 2 he's had equal or more poor performances where he hasn't effected a game, but Noble's performance have been played in the same settled role and hasn't been producing , where so far Carle has been moved all over the place and has yet to adjust to one postion, he's looked very good and it is a surpise that he hasn't had any assist's goals yet, but I'm sure once fully settled it's will be a matter of time until he gets them, lad just needs a settled position.

Not interesting or surprising based on appearances & the fact that LJ & McAllister took every set piece.

it's a TERRIBLE return buy any stretch, LJ and McAllister may have taken most set-piece's, however he still had less assists than Brooker, Enoch, Russell, Jevons, Betsy, Jennison and Woodman over the course of the season? I see a pattern with all those players.

"Everyone" in this case is quite correct and your recent post undermining the lad after the Watford game got slated.We are a better team playing 4-4-1-1 with Noble in the hole than we are with 4-4-2 and Noble out of the team.When we sign Henry & Eto, we can play 4-4-2 all day and night providing other key players such as Elliott are fit-Until then let's stick to what we do best and that's pass it, retain it and eek out odd goal wins-Signings are the only alternative and GJ says he won't be making any, so we are where we are.

in your view it may have got slated, but looking at it, there was also a number of people that agreed with me on the point, that he didn't have a very good game on tuesday, or much this season

When he left the field against Watford he looked as fit as anyone else at that point.Noble, won't knock people over or cover every inch of the pitch ala Elliott-However, he will give us angles,movement and possession that other players wont.The other point is that players like LJ & Marv go up about 10/15% when Noble's around and if we pass the ball as we did in the second half against Norwich we can beat Cardiff.

personally I thought he wasn't effective when he came off against Watford which is why he was subbed, the only thing I didn't understand is why he wasn't withdrawn earlier.

agreed. it's all very well having a player who can keep the ball and Noble is good at that, but he just doesn't have the creativity, just need to look at his goal/assist record since he's been at the club, neither of in even double figures since he's been here and his shooting record is very hit/miss, which for a player who is supposed to be an attacking minded player isn't good enough, for me Noble is more of a squad player now than a regular starter.

Carle despite his lack of assists and goals so far, has gone very close on a number of occasions and looks an alround more complete player than Noble, better passing, better control, better tackler and as the stats shown has a much better shooting ability than Noble, despite neither of them finding the net on a regular basis, he also has a very good engine and despite coming to us with a lack of fitness has shown himself to be a player who looks as fit at the end of a game as he does at the start (but I suppose that's them pesky aussies for you)

unfortunately though for Carle, he's suffered because he's a player that can "play" anywhere in midfield and in his dozen games, has played in "in the hole" right wing, back in the hole, back on the wing, and now in central midfield, he's succesfully shown us already that he shouldn't play Right Wing EVER again, but in the middle, the lad is looking quality.

Noble has been an engima at this club for a while and the discussions of his "ability" and "fitness" just don't go away, and I'm sure they won't while he's still at this club.

Murray has more goals than Sproule and Wilson and the same number of assists as the latter.

On the same basis, should Scott not be picked ahead of both of them?

There are many who say he should play and it's surprising that he hasn't been amongst the subs as he s an excellent impcat player, something for example that Noble isn't.Scott does have the disadvantage of being 34 and that counts against him for a starting place.Sproule has been very disappointing given that we paid a decent fee for him both in terms of goals & assists.Wilson's a better right back and, having seen him play briefly in the hole at Burnley, I rated him highly there, so he may "suffer" from the utility player tag.

plus Trundle has more goals and assists than Noble, so surely we should play him in the hole instead of Noble?

In more appearances and why would you play him in a position that he hasn't played before

agreed. it's all very well having a player who can keep the ball and Noble is good at that, but he just doesn't have the creativity, just need to look at his goal/assist record since he's been at the club, neither of in even double figures since he's been here and his shooting record is very hit/miss, which for a player who is supposed to be an attacking minded player isn't good enough, for me Noble is more of a squad player now than a regular starter.

So you prefer a player with no goals & no assists since his £600k transfer? You need to apply the same argument to both individuals and your biase against Noble is almost as embarrassing as the three of you suddenly replying to one thread-Bit obvious chaps, isn't it??

Carle despite his lack of assists and goals so far, has gone very close on a number of occasions and looks an alround more complete player than Noble, better passing, better control, better tackler and as the stats shown has a much better shooting ability than Noble, despite neither of them finding the net on a regular basis, he also has a very good engine and despite coming to us with a lack of fitness has shown himself to be a player who looks as fit at the end of a game as he does at the start (but I suppose that's them pesky aussies for you)

unfortunately though for Carle, he's suffered because he's a player that can "play" anywhere in midfield and in his dozen games, has played in "in the hole" right wing, back in the hole, back on the wing, and now in central midfield, he's succesfully shown us already that he shouldn't play Right Wing EVER again, but in the middle, the lad is looking quality.

I've nothing against Nick Carle and have rated him accordingly and he clearly can't play anywhere.I'm not that convinced that he can play in the hole and would prefer him where he was Saturday or on the left flank.

Noble has been an engima at this club for a while and the discussions of his "ability" and "fitness" just don't go away, and I'm sure they won't while he's still at this club.

They won't while you & your mates pick on the lad, that's for sure.He's got an ankle injury at present and with LJ out as well the cupboards starting to look pretty bare-Russell's also injured so it really is down to the bare bones with Elliott carrying one.

There are many who say he should play and it's surprising that he hasn't been amongst the subs as he s an excellent impcat player, something for example that Noble isn't.Scott does have the disadvantage of being 34 and that counts against him for a starting place.Sproule has been very disappointing given that we paid a decent fee for him both in terms of goals & assists.Wilson's a better right back and, having seen him play briefly in the hole at Burnley, I rated him highly there, so he may "suffer" from the utility player tag.

Personally, I'd like to see Murray start with Sproule as the impact player once Scott tires, when Ivan's pace can be utilised against a fullback who's been made to work by a genuine winger for an hour or so.

your biase against Noble is almost as embarrassing as the three of you suddenly replying to one thread-Bit obvious chaps, isn't it??

Fair enough. I tried. I'll not bother again if you feel it's some sort of conspiracy against you.

So you prefer a player with no goals & no assists since his £600k transfer? You need to apply the same argument to both individuals and your biase against Noble is almost as embarrassing as the three of you suddenly replying to one thread-Bit obvious chaps, isn't it??

The only one showing any bias is you, its almost being SarahB like, only half joking.

You cant stand people disagreeing with you, unless they spend the first paragraph saying how great you are.

Its a forum for debate. stop being so paranoid and self obsessed and grow up.

They won't while you & your mates pick on the lad, that's for sure.

I don't rate Noble either and I can promise you that is not the product of any vendetta or bias.

He simply fails to impose himself on games. He has had one or two very decent games and clearly has talent; I just don't think he's ever really shown the level of creativity people credit him with, especially not at championship level.

And as for the argument that his assist/goal stats suffer from the fact he does not take set pieces that is a good point, but ignores the fact LJ, McIndoe and McAllister are better, more consistent corner and free kick takers.

I remember Noble once hitting a peach of a free kick last season that a keeper did very well to turn away. However that was the only one of several he hit all game which even came close to creating anything, many times wasting decent attacking opportunities. LJ might not score or even strike for goal many times, but his delivery is highly consistent, putting the opposition on the back foot more times than not. Noble cannot claim the same, which is his problem no one elses.

The only one showing any bias is you, its almost being SarahB like, only half joking.

You wouldn't know the difference between bias and a discussion on the relative merits of a player, so butt out.

You cant stand people disagreeing with you, unless they spend the first paragraph saying how great you are.

Hit a nerve have I sonny?

Its a forum for debate.

So debate something instead of sniping or keep your nose out.

The only person sniping is you. You are just showing yourself to be arrogent and childish.

Its a shame you cant leave out the insults and the moaning about people so say picking on you. Even though I don't agree with everything you say, you do have some interesting views.7

This isnt your forum so don't tell me to butt out. I shall post whatever and whenever I feel like it. Again, grow up.

McIndoe will not ever beat the first man as he lacks the pace to do it. His strenghts are his mobility an passing game.

A very intelligent player though, one of our best.

I don't rate Noble either and I can promise you that is not the product of any vendetta or bias.

Good, no issue with that & you're entitled to that opinion.

He simply fails to impose himself on games. He has had one or two very decent games and clearly has talent; I just don't think he's ever really shown the level of creativity people credit him with, especially not at championship level.

And frankly that could be a description of Nick Carle who was signed to replace him-Wouldn't you agree?

And as for the argument that his assist/goal stats suffer from the fact he does not take set pieces that is a good point, but ignores the fact LJ, McIndoe and McAllister are better, more consistent corner and free kick takers.

TBH they may or may not be-We don't know as Noble doesn't get near them-Neither does Trundle and we do know he can take a great set piece.

I remember Noble once hitting a peach of a free kick last season that a keeper did very well to turn away. However that was the only one of several he hit all game which even came close to creating anything, many times wasting decent attacking opportunities. LJ might not score or even strike for goal many times, but his delivery is highly consistent, putting the opposition on the back foot more times than not. Noble cannot claim the same, which is his problem no one elses.

I wouldn't say that LJ's delivery is highly consistent and, for my money, the best football we've played in ages was during GJ's first season with a central combination of either Russell/Noble/Skuse.One of LJ's faults, albeit one that he has minimised lately, was his habit of losing possession in key areas-That is something else that is reduced when Noble is in the team.LJ improves which in itself, improves our balance & team play.The same can be said fr Elliott and with him playing with an injury he needs all the help he can get.

And frankly that could be a description of Nick Carle who was signed to replace him-Wouldn't you agree?

Yep, I'd not argue that point, but I'd suggest we're better off playing neither if LJ is fit and instead having a second striker, which isn't a slight to either player just an opinion.

TBH they may or may not be-We don't know as Noble doesn't get near them-Neither does Trundle and we do know he can take a great set piece.

True on both counts, but there comes a point where GJ judgement of the players from training etc and the way we've played now for nearly two years trumps potential. Plus I find it a bit harsh to knock LJ for his set piece delivery on the basis that Noble or Trundle MIGHT be better.

I wouldn't say that LJ's delivery is highly consistent and, for my money, the best football we've played in ages was during GJ's first season with a central combination of either Russell/Noble/Skuse.One of LJ's faults, albeit one that he has minimised lately, was his habit of losing possession in key areas-That is something else that is reduced when Noble is in the team.LJ improves which in itself, improves our balance & team play.The same can be said fr Elliott and with him playing with an injury he needs all the help he can get.

We will have to differ over LJ's delivery, as I believe the general quality of his dead ball work is to be praised.

I personally thought Russell was a far more important cog in that league one team you mention, although we did play some excelent football with both players firing. However this was two seasons ago and a division below, as well as at a stage where we had little or no real pressure on us beyond playing the best football we could every week. The fact he has been in and out of the team since then, playing barely a handful of games more than Brooker last year and this season too, means he's not had the chance many of our other players have had to improve and adapt to the rigors of this division. I think he may actually be more limited at this level in fact.

This is a bit of a cyclical argument in all fairness, as I just don't think he produces enough to justify a place at this level (or at this stage of the season) while you do (and I will fully admit to not having seen as much of this season as yourself). My endring memory is of telling my best mate (an Ipswich Town fan) that Noble was our key man prior to watching the away game there this year, then see him produce as woeful a display as I saw from any player that calender year for 45 minutes before correctly being withdrawn. After the game my mate was convinced I had him on a wind up, as he couldn't believe how (to quote) "league two" Noble's performance had been and indeed said how several fellow Tractor Boys had noticed how poor the lad had been, independant of my mate.

As always I hope he proves me totally wrong and is our key man against Cardiff if fit.

Archived