IGNORED

Bristol Commercial Stations Waiting

with orgionals recent question and answer session with gary johnson

and the Rovers manager question and answer session a few weeks later

GWR are hosting a quiz night on april 2nd with Olly hollowhead

as one of the guests

Me thinks radio bristol should buck its ideas up if it wants to retain its radio

contract with Bristol City from season 2009

BBC leeds radio were dumped by Leeds Utd after FORTY years for the radio commentries

BBC Wiltshire were dumped by Swindon Town after FIFTEEN years for thier radio commentaries

Local radio is rubbish,I agree,but we are not all fit and active

with plenty of money in our pockets.

Just think of the following City fans

Lack of money

minor domestic situation(baby sitter not turning up?)

Hospitalised?

maybe confined to your house due to illness

at work college school?

mobilty difficulties

suffer from visual defect

Remembr you pay 135 pounds a year for this poor service from our alledgly public broadcaster

GWR orgional Starr don't request payment in advance for thier radio coverage

Radio Bristol is dreary and unimaginative.Its an old codgers radio station, aimed at retired people. The only time I ever listen to it is when the football is on.At other times I prefer Talk Sport or Radio 5 live.

The sports coverage is not very good either.They try to cover too many local teams post match.We want hear about the local 'big' teams like City and Bath and Bristol rugby.Instead we get match reports from non-league games :yawn:.

Its the same in most regions.Listening to local BBC on the way back from Leicester was cringworthy.

It must be something to do with the BBC budgets....

Local radio is rubbish,I agree,but we are not all fit and active

with plenty of money in our pockets.

Just think of the following City fans

Lack of money

minor domestic situation(baby sitter not turning up?)

Hospitalised?

maybe confined to your house due to illness

at work college school?

mobilty difficulties

suffer from visual defect

Remembr you pay 135 pounds a year for this poor service from our alledgly public broadcaster

GWR orgional Starr don't request payment in advance for thier radio coverage

i think a commercial radio station in Bristol actually taking sport seriously and giving it proper coverage would be a wonderful thing. It forces the BBC raise their game. When they have a monoply like BBC Bristol they can get sloppy. So why not a commercial station giving it all a shake up. Original would probably do it best as GWR are to tied up by their owners.

But it doesn't come cheap and for the commercial stations it all depends on getting support from big business in Bristol.

Radio Bristol is dreary and unimaginative.Its an old codgers radio station, aimed at retired people. The only time I ever listen to it is when the football is on.At other times I prefer Talk Sport or Radio 5 live.

The sports coverage is not very good either.They try to cover too many local teams post match.We want hear about the local 'big' teams like City and Bath and Bristol rugby.Instead we get match reports from non-league games :yawn:.

Its the same in most regions.Listening to local BBC on the way back from Leicester was cringworthy.

It must be something to do with the BBC budgets....

It's not so much the budget, the beeb always have a bigger budget than commercial stations.

IMO it's all down to the type of people who work in local BBC stations. I agree with your entire post. BBC Berkshire which i've been forced to listen to rather a lot is just absolute dross.... and unfortunately the people at BBC stations seem to be pretty much the same all over. It's almost like community radio sometimes.

The one thing you have to ask yourself though..... is could you put up with constant breaks in the shows for adverts???? It would be like ITV - the minute the half time/full time whistle goes they go straight to an ad break - the same just before the kick off of each half - the radio would be no different.

The other thing with the Bristol commercial stations is that they don't cover a very wide area. Original fm you start to loose signal as soon as you get on the outskirts of the City where as Radio Bristol Covers a much wider area - and there are many many City fans who can pick up radio Bristol but not Original. The only station that covers an area as wide as radio Bristol is Kiss - and you got no chance of them even thinking about sport let alone actually covering games.

I think the best thing that could happen is for radio Bristol to freshen up a bit. Geoff Twentyman is getting stale, maybe a fresh presenter would be good for it. But not one of the current crop of people that cover him when he is not on becuase they are not very good in my opinion cos they are not proper presenters. It needs someone who is an actual presenter rather than a commentator trying to be a presenter!

With regards to reception

I managed to get BBC Radio devon on MW 801 in brislington for last saturdays match

and didn't Gordon Sparks(plymouth argyles one and ONLY commentator)

Let the BBC Devon listeners know how pleased he was

I can get BBC wiltshire and BBC somerset(95:5) in Brislington as well

only needs a omni(15 pound) antenna

Maybe Radio Bristol could have the AWAY coverage for a wider audience

and one of the commercial stations for home coverage

as most of us would be at the home games

regarding adverts and breaks on a commercial station

what do you get on the Radio Bristol half time break

updates on Yeovil and rovers

I'd prefer the adverts if you don't mind

regarding adverts and breaks on a commercial station

what do you get on the Radio Bristol half time break

updates on Yeovil and rovers

I'd prefer the adverts if you don't mind

Ah but the only trouble is - you would get adverts AND at least Rovers updates - so you wont be any better off

They'll be waiting a long time, i can tell you..

I cant take commerical radio seriously. In one moment i'm listening to my City play enjoying my day, the next minute some hick bloke called Brian is trying to sell me half price furnature, I don't NEED ANY CHAIRS MATE, I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO MY ******* TEAM PLAY, OK??

Sorry, that just wont do, not now, not ever, screw commerical radio, its pure evil, much worse than Radio Bristol imo.

If we can prove the BBC are bias we could escalate the situation and literary get people fired.

But the BBC are not bias towards Rovers, really they are not, I think thats just our own bias perception.

I think, to be fair Leeds United havent "dumped" BBC Radio Leeds as you put it.

As most of you probably know, the clubs charge radio stations for the right to broadcast commentary on their games.

And recently Ken Bates decided to double the cost of the Leeds United commentary rights.

BBC Radio Leeds said they simply couldnt justify paying that much money.

So Ken Bates gave the commentary rights to the radio station he owns instead. A radio station that doesnt have anywhere near the same reach as BBC Radio Leeds.

As a result lots of Leeds United fans will be missing out on hearing commentary of their games.

Can someone please tell me

a/ how this is in any way the BBCs fault ?

b/ how this can be seen as some sort of victory for the fans ?

with orgionals recent question and answer session with gary johnson

and the Rovers manager question and answer session a few weeks later

GWR are hosting a quiz night on april 2nd with Olly hollowhead

as one of the guests

Me thinks radio bristol should buck its ideas up if it wants to retain its radio

contract with Bristol City from season 2009

BBC leeds radio were dumped by Leeds Utd after FORTY years for the radio commentries

BBC Wiltshire were dumped by Swindon Town after FIFTEEN years for thier radio commentaries

I actually think that Radio Bristol is good for football coverage. You only have to compare it to what you hear on the way back from away games when you tune into the nearest local radio station. Much better.

The commentaries are good and I have no problem with them.

I even enjoy the Twentypence programme on a Friday night, Mike from Stockwood is a local legend!

The only problem that I have is this stupid switch from 95.5 to 94.whatever it is!

Coverage seems worse and have to be closer to Bristol to pick it up.

Archived