IGNORED

Gary It Was Your Choice

Red Robin

The assertion was that Johnson would be wanted by Premier League clubs. His record at Yeovil would be irrelevant to Premier League clubs.

I don't think it's Premier League clubs we actually need to worry about, it's the larger championship clubs that I'm worried about pinching GJ,

he's done an AMAZING job here and developed the club well on and off the field, if we fail to go up (which for the record isn't the end of the world)

I wouldn't be overly suprised to see him get pinched next season (possibly mid-season) with the likes of Wolves/Leicester/Norwich/Southampton all likely to be interested in a Manager like GJ if they happen to be looking for a manager, much as GJ loves being at City right now, those 4 despite their league position's today are BIGGER clubs than City and would be possibly more able to Match Gary's long-term ambitions which has to be Premier League Football.

personally, the blokes has my complete and utter support and has already established himself to be the best City manager since Dicks.

The way I see it is, GJ's done/doing a cracking job.

Nobody expected us to be up there at this stage of the season.

In hindsight, we have needed a goalscorer to complement what we already have especially when Jevons and Enoch have been giving their marching orders.

Yes, most of us have been crying out for one to be brought in at some point this season but look where we are. If we don't go up, I won't be pointing any finger at GJ as I thought we'd seriously struggle and him and his team have exceeded my expectations for this year.

But, if we do go up, he's a genius for pulling it off with the lack of strike power we started the season with.

Freedom of the city IF he takes us up.

So you believe Gary Megson, Roy Hodgson and Gareth Southgate to be superior managers to Gary Johnson?

GJ is one of the best managers in the championship,if he takes city up he should be crowned manager of the year across all divisions.

So you believe Gary Megson, Roy Hodgson and Gareth Southgate to be superior managers to Gary Johnson?

They all have pros and cons. Megson was a weird choice by Bolton and I suspect he'll be out of a job at the end of the season. Hodgson has bags and bags of experience (admittedly, not much in this country) and Southgate has now managed for three seasons in the Premier League before the age of 40.

They all have pros and cons. Megson was a weird choice by Bolton and I suspect he'll be out of a job at the end of the season. Hodgson has bags and bags of experience (admittedly, not much in this country) and Southgate has now managed for three seasons in the Premier League before the age of 40.

Would you appoint any of them ahead of Gary Johnson?

Would you appoint any of them ahead of Gary Johnson?

The point of this debate isn't whether I would appoint them ahead of Johnson. The point of this debate is that some poor deluded souls think that we are about to lose Johnson to a Premier League club, when there really isn't any possibility of that happening.

But, I'll be courteous and I'll answer your question, if I was a premier league chairman looking for a new manager I would certainly appoint Southgate ahead of Johnson. Arsene Wenger has said that he believes Southgate could well succeed him at Arsenal, so that's a no-brainer. Johnson can't compete with Southgate.

I have already said that Megson was a weird appointment by Bolton, so I would not appoint Megson ahead of Johnson, but that isn't to say that I think Johnson stands any chance of getting the Bolton job when it becomes available. Hodgson's wealth of international experience means he would get the nod over Johnson when it comes to being considered for Premier League jobs, as was proved when Fulham appointed him. Did Fulham consider Johnson for the job? I have no idea, but I doubt it.

Gary's done wonders at Ashton Gate, but he isn't likely to be poached by a Premier League club, in my opinion.

OK a forum is a place to air your opinion and also to air a response: don't talk twaddle - he knows what he is doing, ffs. One of his aims has been to keep the squad as a solid unit. And don't forget that Brooker took a while to get back to it. We'll be alright.

Hold you nerve!!! We've hardly ever had it so good.

Get that picture of THAT WITCH off of your posts please. :ranting:

The point of this debate isn't whether I would appoint them ahead of Johnson. The point of this debate is that some poor deluded souls think that we are about to lose Johnson to a Premier League club, when there really isn't any possibility of that happening.

I accept that. I was merely asking you to put yourself in the shoes of a Premier League chairman and consider those candidates and how you would rank them if you were looking to make an appointment from that shortlist, which you have done. Thank you.

But, I'll be courteous and I'll answer your question, if I was a premier league chairman looking for a new manager I would certainly appoint Southgate ahead of Johnson. Arsene Wenger has said that he believes Southgate could well succeed him at Arsenal, so that's a no-brainer. Johnson can't compete with Southgate.

Wenger seems to have a soft spot for Southgate, you're right. He even put his name forward as a prospective candidate for the England job after MacLaren was sacked, which I was very surprised to see.

Personally, I think Southgate has been very fortunate to have the support of a patient chairman (and I applaud him for that), bearing in mind that Southgate has won just 25 of his games in charge in almost two seasons.

I think he's a decent young manager, but I wouldn't see it as a step up if Johnson left and we appointed Southgate. It's all subjective, I know, but I just don't see him as a better manager than Gary Johnson.

I have already said that Megson was a weird appointment by Bolton, so I would not appoint Megson ahead of Johnson, but that isn't to say that I think Johnson stands any chance of getting the Bolton job when it becomes available. Hodgson's wealth of international experience means he would get the nod over Johnson when it comes to being considered for Premier League jobs, as was proved when Fulham appointed him. Did Fulham consider Johnson for the job? I have no idea, but I doubt it.

I agree about Megson. A very odd appointment and it does seem to underline that Premier League clubs only generally look at names who have managed at the top level, no matter how unsuccessfully, rather than spread their net wider and look at managers who have consistently brought success, as Gary has done.

Similarly, Hodgson seemed to be appointed based on similar criteria to Megson. A name who has plied his trade at the top level with limited success.

I also doubt Johnson was considered, but I think that again has more to do with the narrow field Premier League sides look at rather than his ability to do the job.

I do feel Fulham would have won more than two games under Johnson, but again that is just my view and not something that can be proved.

Gary's done wonders at Ashton Gate, but he isn't likely to be poached by a Premier League club, in my opinion.

I agree, thank goodness. But as outlined above, I think it has more to do with the mindset of Premier League chairmen than his actual ability to do the job.

Put it this way. If Gary did leave and we appointed Southgate, Megson or Hodgson, I would be far less confident of success than I am currently.

I agree, thank goodness. But as outlined above, I think it has more to do with the mindset of Premier League chairmen than his actual ability to do the job.

That's the point I have also been trying to make (but obviously not very successfully!).

I think GJ has performed absolute miracles with BCFC in the thirty months he's been with us, but the Premier League is a place where people think and act differently. The simple fact that GJ has not previously managed at Premier League level means he's unlikely to be offered a job in the Premier League. A tw*t like Boothroyd is more likely to be poached than GJ, simply because he's already had a season in the Premier League and managed to draw lots of attention to himself whilst he was there.

For the record, I sincerely hope GJ stays at Ashton Gate for the rest of his managerial career.

I believe that the last* Premier League manager appointed from a Championship side is David Moyes, who was appointed about 6 years ago. He seems to be doing alright but for one reason or another most Premier League clubs are too blinkered to look to the lower leagues.

*You could argue that Iain Dowie was appointed from the Championship, but that was after a season in the Premier League with Palace. I can't think of any others.

Thanks for clarifying.

I'd been putting it down to the fantastic team spirit, expert management and determination of Gary Johnson, the players, staff and supporters.

For the record, not that it matters anymore, but what I actually said was;

Gary's done a brilliant job to get us within site of the finish line and possible automatic promotion, but we're only in second place right now thanks to the failings of others and that won't continue.

meaning that at this moment in time other teams could have overtaken us, and qualified that by stating that we're in sight of the finishing line thanks to Gary's efforts. Perhaps it's my fault for not communicating this clearly. These things can so often be misconstrued can't they.

I'm off for a rest. See you all in the Premier League.

Lots of love

Greenun

Archived