IGNORED

Take A Trip Down Memory Lane....

Ecko

Brings a tear to my eye!!

Looking at that footage brings it all back. During the late 70's we had 37,000 packed in the 'Gate' watching us slaughter Liverpool 2-1 - ah happy days!!

Sounds good, just wish I was born before AG was made into an all seater.

That open terrace looks bloody intimidating!

Sounds good, just wish I was born before AG was made into an all seater.

That open terrace looks bloody intimidating!

Spot on - the open terracing was an absolute war zone at the best of times and in a way added to the atmosphere in the ground.

Shame this is all in the past now - standing at a football match seems more natural than sitting down.

Spot on - the open terracing was an absolute war zone at the best of times and in a way added to the atmosphere in the ground.

Shame this is all in the past now - standing at a football match seems more natural than sitting down.

What was the atmosphere like back then?

Trouble at most games?

What was the atmosphere like back then?

Trouble at most games?

There was always something going on back in the 70's & 80's.

I remember going to my first game back in 1969. My dad always put me down the front of the East End on the railings and he disappeared to the back with his mates. Remember so many different visiting fans (or firms as they are called today), trying to infiltrate the East End (it was the cool thing to do then) and it going off nearly every week.

Like i said - war zone!

The football was also good to watch - the days of Norman Hunter, Trevor Tainton, Joe Royle ..........

There was always something going on back in the 70's & 80's.

I remember going to my first game back in 1969. My dad always put me down the front of the East End on the railings and he disappeared to the back with his mates. Remember so many different visiting fans (or firms as they are called today), trying to infiltrate the East End (it was the cool thing to do then) and it going off nearly every week.

Like i said - war zone!

The football was also good to watch - the days of Norman Hunter, Trevor Tainton, Joe Royle ..........

Me too!!.

I remember watching HTV on a Monday and most games being able to see myself and my brother behind the goal!

Happy days - until stewards started to tell us to stand properly in case a shot hit our legs and broke them to which we politely replied - **** Off.

Also remember the old away end as was, and being in the home section next to the away fans watching St mirren in the Anglo Scottish Cup Final (anyone know how we qualified for that comp?)

The breeze block wall at the front of the Williams brings it back. Remember as a kid when the final whstle went, asking your dad for permission to hoik over the wall then run around the pitch.

Ah, they were the days.

Its true about atmos now its all seating. Was 1000 times better when we were all packed in like sardines in the shed. I feel sorry for any young supporter who hasnt experienced it

The breeze block wall at the front of the Williams brings it back. Remember as a kid when the final whstle went, asking your dad for permission to hoik over the wall then run around the pitch.

Ah, they were the days.

Its true about atmos now its all seating. Was 1000 times better when we were all packed in like sardines in the shed. I feel sorry for any young supporter who hasnt experienced it

Looks terrific to me.

Admittedly I was 2 years of age at the time of this video but the old man will love it when I show him

Remember standing in the East end when we beat Chelsea (the old lot with Kerry Dixon up front) back in the early 90's.

Great atmosphere.

Ah, they were the days.

Yeah I know, I'm upset that I missed it (born in 1991) and some of the stories that my dad has been telling sounds amazing!

Nottingham Forest 1 - Bristol city 0 (Littlewoods cup 2nd leg or replay)

26th february 1989

attendance 28,084

thats when ashton gate was rocking

since then health and safety nerds with their weird obsession with plastic seats have killed the game using hillsborough as a reason

we all know it was the police incompetence that killed those Liverpool fans:

ban police incompetence rather then terracing - bring back safe standing

28,000?!?! Bloody hell!

AG once packed in over 43,000 against PNE. I guess health & safety wasn't such an issue back then!

My first game at AG was against Leeds in 76 & we had over 31,000 that day. I truly feel sorry for the young 'uns that never

got to experience watching City in those days.

Nottingham Forest 1 - Bristol city 0 (Littlewoods cup 2nd leg or replay)

26th february 1989

attendance 28,084

Bleedin hell Cider Head, I remember that like it was yesterday it was my brothers birthday on the day and the EE was pumping right the way across the length of the stand. A game that the late, great Mr Clough admitted we should've have won, Walshy hit that shot that Hodge cleared of the line right in front of me, when I close my eyes it still looks like it's going in now!!!

AG once packed in over 43,000 against PNE. I guess health & safety wasn't such an issue back then!

My first game at AG was against Leeds in 76 & we had over 31,000 that day. I truly feel sorry for the young 'uns that never

got to experience watching City in those days.

I am not that old to have been around when AG packed in 43,000+ against PNE - but i was there that evening match against Liverpool in 1977 when the attendance was 38,699. Could not move anywhere in the East End - just had to go with the sway of the crowd. When Chris Garland got the winner, i must have ended up 100 yards away from where i was stood!!!! Absolutely manic!

Great days

You guys in the Dolman think you have a good view now, well maybe but no better than the guys in the flats before it was built.........and it was free :surrender:

Late 60`s :travolta: and into the 70`s :travolta: certainly had a bit more than we have now, except for maybe stewards.

Bleedin hell Cider Head, I remember that like it was yesterday it was my brothers birthday on the day and the EE was pumping right the way across the length of the stand. A game that the late, great Mr Clough admitted we should've have won, Walshy hit that shot that Hodge cleared of the line right in front of me, when I close my eyes it still looks like it's going in now!!!

I was gutted that game was so full that they opened up what was the family enclosure in front of the dolman and moved me from the East End damm stewards. The East end was bloody amazin when in full flow i used to stand at the front just behind the goal. I remember everyone surging forwards when we scored it was the best even though the East E is partial open now it will never be recreated which is a shame.

It was wonderful to be part of it all and it really is better to have loved and lost and all that. Now we have fans moaning about smoking but back then the East End used to stink of smoke and alcohol. Up the Park End on a sunny day and it would be not unusual to see a few who had too many stretched out asleep and fans would simply smile about it. The game has simply been taken over by the intolerant.

:noexpression: Modern football more than just a little bit rubbish.

Archived