IGNORED

Take A Trip Down Memory Lane....

Ecko

It was wonderful to be part of it all and it really is better to have loved and lost and all that. Now we have fans moaning about smoking but back then the East End used to stink of smoke and alcohol. Up the Park End on a sunny day and it would be not unusual to see a few who had too many stretched out asleep and fans would simply smile about it. The game has simply been taken over by the intolerant.

:noexpression: Modern football more than just a little bit rubbish.

Good days indeed! I remember me and me mate mooner walking onto the park end with a bottle of cider! whats all that about then?? haha! Crikey!

Tha atmosphere back then was electric, singing in the east end, the park end, the dolman and even in the enclosures! Fortress Ashton Gate............. :dance:

EVEN the enclosure.....? I'll have you know we were the front line against all the away lot who didn't fancy the EE or PE, thought they would have a quiet day out taking the P... in the enclosure with the "cloth caps"....how wrong they were!

My old man used to take me and my two brothers in the EE and stand us on wooden stools in front of a barrier behind the goal. Had to hold on to the barrier for dear life when we scored.

Used to get in front of the barriers till i was old enough to brave it towards the centre although it was just a case of wondering where i would end up if City scored. One minute you would be surrounded by mates then they would be yards away.

Remember blokes holding up trainers or shoes and shouting "whose is this?

Nottingham Forest 1 - Bristol city 0 (Littlewoods cup 2nd leg or replay)

26th february 1989

attendance 28,084

My old man still has the programme from that day safely hidden away amongst many others. Amazing that we could still get 28,000 in then. I first went in 91, just after they put seats in the EE and the Enclosure, and the capacity was no more than 23,000, and is even less now after demolishing the Park End.

Bleedin hell Cider Head, I remember that like it was yesterday it was my brothers birthday on the day and the EE was pumping right the way across the length of the stand. A game that the late, great Mr Clough admitted we should've have won, Walshy hit that shot that Hodge cleared of the line right in front of me, when I close my eyes it still looks like it's going in now!!!

walshy hits the post (or cleared off line) then the full time whistle goes for extra time, the noise is just fantastic.

Some cracking build up play that led to the corner, bloody Hodge, still looks like its going in. Thought I craked 3 or 4 ribs on the barrier in front of me when the surge came.

The noise is great you can hear the 2 ends, EE doing we love you city and the Open End doing c'mon you reds. I seem to remember there was still quiet a bit of room down the front of the EE in the corner where everyone is now, having said that the railing was still up then so the view really was poor at times from there

EE doing we love you city and the Open End doing c'mon you reds.

This distinction between the Open End and the East End got me thinking about my first games back in the 1990 / 1991. I remember standing 'in' what I realise must now be the Atyeo Stand.

When was the Atyeo Stand built? Does anyone have any pictures of the Open End from this era?

This distinction between the Open End and the East End got me thinking about my first games back in the 1990 / 1991. I remember standing 'in' what I realise must now be the Atyeo Stand.

When was the Atyeo Stand built? Does anyone have any pictures of the Open End from this era?

The open end or park end was last used on 5th march 1994 when a goaless draw was played out with Derby county, preparation work started for the erection of the Atyeo stand started 9 days later. The Atyeo stand cost £1.5 million to build and was built in the summer of 1994, seating 4,100 spectators in a single tier, maximum height 33ft by 259ft wide. The Ateyo stand was then given to home supporters and it also incorporated the dressing rooms which used to be located in the williams stand. It was officially opened on 8th October 1994 by sir Bert millichip, chairman of the Fottball Association, before a home game with Millwall when the players ran out of the behined the goal tunnel for the first time.

http://www.bcfc3lions.co.uk/page57.html

The open end or park end was last used on 5th march 1994 when a goaless draw was played out with Derby county, preparation work started for the erection of the Atyeo stand started 9 days later. The Atyeo stand cost £1.5 million to build and was built in the summer of 1994, seating 4,100 spectators in a single tier, maximum height 33ft by 259ft wide. The Ateyo stand was then given to home supporters and it also incorporated the dressing rooms which used to be located in the williams stand. It was officially opened on 8th October 1994 by sir Bert millichip, chairman of the Fottball Association, before a home game with Millwall when the players ran out of the behined the goal tunnel for the first time.

http://www.bcfc3lions.co.uk/page57.html

Thanks Cider head. Put's it all in context.

My old man used to take me and my two brothers in the EE and stand us on wooden stools in front of a barrier behind the goal. Had to hold on to the barrier for dear life when we scored.

Same for me, first went in 1979 when I was 6! Stood on wooden milk crates in the EE with my old man, his mate and son. Absolutely bloody loved!!

There was always something going on back in the 70's & 80's.

I remember going to my first game back in 1969. My dad always put me down the front of the East End on the railings and he disappeared to the back with his mates. Remember so many different visiting fans (or firms as they are called today), trying to infiltrate the East End (it was the cool thing to do then) and it going off nearly every week.

Like i said - war zone!

The football was also good to watch - the days of Norman Hunter, Trevor Tainton, Joe Royle ..........

Archived