IGNORED

World

garlicbread

As a world subscriber, I was wondering what the point is in having it....

1) I enjoy watching the players interviews, but they get transcribed and put on the OS verbatim almost straight away.

2) I also like watching highlights, but if HTV want to show midweek highlights, they get rights to them first (and world delay on purpose, despite the fact I pay!). On the weekend, Matt Smith broadcasts the goals before we get to see them (usually late on sunday or monday!)

3) I love Gary's interview post match saturday, but can read them in the sundays a few hours later or transcribed on the site almost straight away

4) And this really gets on my t*ts.....the teasing freeview stuff is out there already and I still cant watch GJs interview!

My point is that you don't get anything benefit by paying for world. At the very least, I would expect to get my interviews and highlights before anyone else.

If anyone from the club is reading this, please sort it out because the service is s***te.

Grrr!

1) I enjoy watching the players interviews, but they get transcribed and put on the OS verbatim almost straight away.

2) I also like watching highlights, but if HTV want to show midweek highlights, they get rights to them first (and world delay on purpose, despite the fact I pay!). On the weekend, Matt Smith broadcasts the goals before we get to see them (usually late on sunday or monday!)

3) I love Gary's interview post match saturday, but can read them in the sundays a few hours later or transcribed on the site almost straight away

4) And this really gets on my t*ts.....the teasing freeview stuff is out there already and I still cant watch GJs interview!

My point is that you don't get anything benefit by paying for world. At the very least, I would expect to get my interviews and highlights before anyone else.

If anyone from the club is reading this, please sort it out because the service is s***te.

Grrr!

I can watch the free preview stuff fine but when I as a world subscriber go to watch the full thing the bar steward never works so instead I have to watch on my laptop for I can watch it on there.

Not all of it gets transcribed and hearing the context and the way in which they are said is as important as to what is actually said - however I do agree there needs to be a timely time lag on the interview and the jist of what the player says being put on the web site - 12 to 24 hours

Agree but suspect this is a contractual thing - I think I heard someone say that the BBC (for example) can only show the goals twice as a "news item" and then not allowed to do it again - in the same vein World probably cant do anything more than they do contractually and the extended highlights for those of us not living in the HTV catchment area is very good.

3) I love Gary's interview post match saturday, but can read them in the sundays a few hours later or transcribed on the site almost straight away Again how he says things and the context is extremely important as I don't trust most newspapers to report without bias - the fact that some journo has put his spin on something the next day makes me feel even more grateful that World shows the post match press conferences (not sure if that's the full press conference or just edited highlights - would prefer to see full press conference if such a thing exists

Not sure why you cant see them - they work fine on my computer - I log in as soon as I can and then press the download button and navigate on to the next interview and do the same and then watch the downloads one at a time.

Point taken but I am satisfied and happy with the service World provides but like you would like to see the transcribed interviews put on hold for a bit longer

don't agree but you know that by now anyway

Grrr!

My point is that you don't get any benefit by paying for world.

Grrr!

The answer is - don't subscribe then.

As you rightly say - everything's available free (TV,Virgin,etc) - anything important is released on a "free watch".

And entertaining though Gary is - he is the master of speaking without actually saying anything. He never reveals anything (quite rightly) about selection, injuries, tactics etc and you could take any of his "previews" and interchange them with any other preview and apart from the name of the opposition it's all very much the same.

You need to decide for yourself if a product is worth the money, I don't subscribe or buy a programme for the same reasons.

There's nothing original in them.

It's probably a good deal if you're an expat in the US or Vietnam or somewhere where you can't get R.Bristol commentary but for Bristolians - I don't see the point.

CR

The answer is - don't subscribe then.

As you rightly say - everything's available free (TV,Virgin,etc) - anything important is released on a "free watch".

And entertaining though Gary is - he is the master of speaking without actually saying anything. He never reveals anything (quite rightly) about selection, injuries, tactics etc and you could take any of his "previews" and interchange them with any other preview and apart from the name of the opposition it's all very much the same.

You need to decide for yourself if a product is worth the money, I don't subscribe or buy a programme for the same reasons.

There's nothing original in them.

It's probably a good deal if you're an expat in the US or Vietnam or somewhere where you can't get R.Bristol commentary but for Bristolians - I don't see the point.

CR

I can't not subcribe - I already have a subscription. I think you mean unsunscribe...which I think I will.

I agree with the previous point about watching interviews giving you the nuances of whats said, but not sure if its really worth £4ish per month

Grrr!

The thing that gets my goat is that I got world so I could listen to matches on the web (because BBC doesn't have the rights on the web), I tuned into world to find out it was the BBC commentary so effectively I'm paying to listen to a BBC broadcast.

I may be wrong (as this sure sounds wrong to me)so if someone could set me strait it would be much appreciated.

For those of us who live away from Bristol it's absolutely invaluable.

I don't watch the highlights or the interviews or any of that nonsense but I quite happily pay the subscription fee to get the commentary service - which has been excellent this season.

The interviews are excellent and are the only true way of seeing the tone and context of a quote. The written word can often be misinterpreted if you can't see that someone is joking/serious etc.

Often, Gary Johnson will say something that's very tongue in cheek, but written down it could look very different. So for that, I think they're well worth it.

The commentaries have also been generally problem free this season.

I do have an issue with the freeview clips that seem to have been introduced lately, especially when they show the goals on there before I can see the highlights.

But, as with any issue I've had with BCFC World, the issue is entirely at PTV's end. The club itself can't be faulted for the content and production.

For roughly 10p per day, I can't really quibble at all.

I can watch the free preview stuff fine but when I as a world subscriber go to watch the full thing the bar steward never works so instead I have to watch on my laptop for I can watch it on there.

i'm a subscriber too, as an exile, for the commentary mostly, but i can't get it on my main machine either - drm problems i assume though no-one's been able to get to the bottom of it ... i have to pinch my daughter's laptop to listen ... wen she lets me!

The media dept don't win Football League Website of the year every year for nowt. You should take a look at the content and videos produced on other sites, there is just no comparison. As Dan and Edson have said it is invaluable for us exiles, top drawer. Plus it is one of the few areas I actually contribute financially to the club as I don't attend games at AG and the club receive not a penny for my attendances at the away games I go to. Wouldn't be without it.

PTV is shocking though and a lot worse since Virgin Media bought it last Summer.

For those of us who live away from Bristol it's absolutely invaluable.

I don't watch the highlights or the interviews or any of that nonsense but I quite happily pay the subscription fee to get the commentary service - which has been excellent this season.

For those of us living abroad its a lifeline...It may not be perfect and I personally left a an expletive filled message when they made a mess of the final game last season, however I have no alternative like so many expats and exiles...

I do get upset by some of the inane chatter that one or two of the commentators take part in....If any of them are reading this WE WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE BALL IS AND WHO HAS GOT IT keep your pally chats until afterwards.

UTC :englandsmile4wf:

I gave up listening to City's comm a long while ago, the regular comm sends me to sleep.

Listening to the oppo comm gives a far better perspective of how City are really playing etc. Both are biased towards the respective club. I also like the differing dialects, but couldn't believe how pro Baaahdiff Brian Clarke, who played for both clubs, was on Saturday and a very west country accent as well, shame on you Brian.

10p per day is a lot of money for some people. I fail to see why they should be denied their right to quibble occasionally just because some other flash Harries can afford to throw their money around willy nilly.

Love your pluralisation of Harry BTW...and 10p a day is throwing cash around? What do you do for a living, deliver newspapers?

10p per day is a lot of money for some people. I fail to see why they should be denied their right to quibble occasionally just because some other flash Harries can afford to throw their money around willy nilly.

I'm not denying anyone their quibble rights, just saying I have no reason to.

You quibble away.

I'm not denying anyone their quibble rights, just saying I have no reason to.

You quibble away.

I think, by insinuation, you are but I'm not one to quibble.

By the way, when does that free month's subscription of yours start...the one you were awarded after you sent that very seriously-worded quibble to the people who run Bristol City World (cough)?

I think, by insinuation, you are but I'm not one to quibble.

By the way, when does that free month's subscription of yours start...the one you were awarded after you sent that very seriously-worded quibble to the people who run Bristol City World (cough)?

I think it starts from this season, so I should be asked to resubscribe in October instead of September.

I've worked it out, and providing I die on the 30th September, I am quids in.

I think it starts from this season, so I should be asked to resubscribe in October instead of September.

I've worked it out, and providing I die on the 30th September, I am quids in.

Crikey, it's alright for some!

Any chance you can write me into your will - we can go haves on the winnings - so I can take a couple of weeks off from my paper round?

Grrr!

I'm very happy with World. Great value for money. Concentrate on Norwich..

I am an exile and for me World is good. Pity about having to wait till Monday to see the highlights but having audio commentary is great. And there's nothing quite like watching GJ giving the interviewer a hard time after a bad game if he asks a stupid question.

Archived