IGNORED

On The Verge Of Greatness

One Team

Along with many of you on this forum and at the Gate my absolute view is Gary Johnson has already earnt his place in the Bristol City record books as a successful manager. A manager who like Alan Dicks, Joe Jordan, John Ward and Harry Thickett will always be remembered as someone who got us promotion and be remembered fondly.

Something rather incredible could potentially happen in the next few weeks though as we're all well aware. Something that you and I almost dare not speak of but have perhaps started to dream about.

Should Gary Johnson get us promoted to the Premier League - at his first attempt - either automatically or via the play offs, thereby taking us back into the top division of English football for the first time in 30 years AND it being back to back promotions he will, for me, achieve true greatness and indeed become our most successful and "best" ever manager.

One could quite rightly argue a case for Alan Dicks or indeed Harry Thickett (who of course got us to the FA Cup final and if memory serves me right to our highest ever league finish in what was then the first division) as being our current greatest ever manager.

However, to achieve promotion to the Premier League in such an incredible way (back to back promotions, first attempt etc.) AND in the modern era of the beautiful game with all its glitz, pomp, glamour and money is for me untouchable.

I've wondered over the last few weeks if Gary is aware of this; the legendary status that he could achieve on the back of us as fans almost pinching ourselves in disbelief at the amazing success.

I suspect he is actually and like you and I is just as up for it!

There hasn't been a better time to be a City fan in 30 years - and for Johnson, there may well never be a better time to be a manager.

Get building the statue, Landsdown! ;-)

One Team

For me, Alan Dicks having got us there and, as many people forget, keep us there for 3/4 seasons, is the top man.

IF GJ gets us up, he'll rightly be No 2 for me and if he keeps us there or even if we go down and back up as some have, he'll hit the pinnacle.

Word of caution though, five games to go and we haven't done it yet so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Thicket played a 2-3-5 formation and was trying to bully United into mistakes. So he was like Cluless. Pub team, no tactics. Good save near the end or we were back in it.

I was passed down to the front over peoples heads. Along with a young Charlie Chaplin.

http://www.fa-cupfinals.co.uk/1909.html

And what was with the wearing of the 'blue' shirts...?

If we go up then GJ should be given the Freedom of the City of Bristol without a doubt and also a barrel of cider. IIRC he already has the freedom of Yeovil for guiding them into the Football league.

Along with many of you on this forum and at the Gate my absolute view is Gary Johnson has already earnt his place in the Bristol City record books as a successful manager. A manager who like Alan Dicks, Joe Jordan, John Ward and Harry Thickett will always be remembered as someone who got us promotion and be remembered fondly.

Something rather incredible could potentially happen in the next few weeks though as we're all well aware. Something that you and I almost dare not speak of but have perhaps started to dream about.

Should Gary Johnson get us promoted to the Premier League - at his first attempt - either automatically or via the play offs, thereby taking us back into the top division of English football for the first time in 30 years AND it being back to back promotions he will, for me, achieve true greatness and indeed become our most successful and "best" ever manager.

One could quite rightly argue a case for Alan Dicks or indeed Harry Thickett (who of course got us to the FA Cup final and if memory serves me right to our highest ever league finish in what was then the first division) as being our current greatest ever manager.

However, to achieve promotion to the Premier League in such an incredible way (back to back promotions, first attempt etc.) AND in the modern era of the beautiful game with all its glitz, pomp, glamour and money is for me untouchable.

I've wondered over the last few weeks if Gary is aware of this; the legendary status that he could achieve on the back of us as fans almost pinching ourselves in disbelief at the amazing success.

I suspect he is actually and like you and I is just as up for it!

There hasn't been a better time to be a City fan in 30 years - and for Johnson, there may well never be a better time to be a manager.

Get building the statue, Landsdown! ;-)

One Team

Thicket played a 2-3-5 formation and was trying to bully United into mistakes. So he was like Cluless. Pub team, no tactics. Good save near the end or we were back in it.

I was passed down to the front over peoples heads. Along with a young Charlie Chaplin.

http://www.fa-cupfinals.co.uk/1909.html

Fascinating stuff!

I wonder what the 2009 Cup Final Programme will look like- apart from again featuring Bristol City -of course !

Not trying to be too controversial but the Premier League these day's is a lot tougher than the old 1st division 30 years ago. The Premier League is one of the best (if not the best) leagues in the world with the best players. If Gary Johnson can get us into it, he is verging on greatness

When Alan Dicks took over we were already a div 2 side ( Championship) and it took him quite a few seasons to turn an establised div 2 side into promotion contenders, let alone winners.

When GJ took over we were a shambolick div 3 (league 1) side hovering on the brink of relegation. The turn around since then is nothing short of astounding. To get promotion to the championship as quickly as he did was pretty good going, but to be serious promotion challengers throughout the whole season on our retrun to the championship is beyond any reasonable expectations.

Back in AD's day, it was fair to say that almost any club could make it to the top (Carlisle managed it in the '70's) In these days of big money at the top of the game it's a much tougher ask as we are competing with ex Premier League teams with financial resource way out of our league. This is what makes GJ's acheivements all the more creditable.

I'm a brand new member on this forum so go easy on me guys! Thought this GJ thread looked ideal for my first post. AD and our last top flight side was sadly before my time but there's no doubt that GJ deserves to be mentioned in the same vein. Its hard to compare then & now but the job he's done is nothing short of phenomenal - even without another promotion. Keep going GJ! :fingerscrossed:

Very close between AD and GJ.

As one who was around in the Dicks era I think that if we did get promoted then GJ would get my vote.

Both managers had their unique style of management and it has been pointed out elsewhere that it did take AD several years to turn a struggling side in to promotion contenders.

GJ has turned this club around in a very short space of time not only on the pitch but he has also tackled many of the off the pitch problems that have been endemic at AG for many, many years.

However, the thing that swings is it for me is the fact that GJ has got us to the brink of promotion whilst not being on a level playing field. In the Dicks era there were no parachute payments and wages/transfer fees were not as inflated as they are now.

At the start of this season if you asked a neutral which teams were likely to be promoted from the CCC then most answers would probably have included Watford, Sheffield Utd, Charlton, West Brom and possibly Wolves, Ipswich and Southampton. Not many would have said Hull or Stoke let alone City.

Despite being in the top 6 for most of the season we appear to have slipped under the radar of most pundits. However, I think even they are finally coming to terms with the fact that we are now top of what is becoming the mini league going for automatic promotion.

Not trying to be too controversial but the Premier League these day's is a lot tougher than the old 1st division 30 years ago. The Premier League is one of the best (if not the best) leagues in the world with the best players. If Gary Johnson can get us into it, he is verging on greatness

When Alan Dicks took over we were already a div 2 side ( Championship) and it took him quite a few seasons to turn an establised div 2 side into promotion contenders, let alone winners.

When GJ took over we were a shambolick div 3 (league 1) side hovering on the brink of relegation. The turn around since then is nothing short of astounding. To get promotion to the championship as quickly as he did was pretty good going, but to be serious promotion challengers throughout the whole season on our retrun to the championship is beyond any reasonable expectations.

Back in AD's day, it was fair to say that almost any club could make it to the top (Carlisle managed it in the '70's) In these days of big money at the top of the game it's a much tougher ask as we are competing with ex Premier League teams with financial resource way out of our league. This is what makes GJ's acheivements all the more creditable.

It's all relative.

Whereas £6/7m buys you an average Prem Striker these days. 30 years ago it was £500k-The thing being we couldn't afford it then and we actually, probably could now with the TV Money.

We still couldn't afford to outspend many of the clubs then as they had larger attendances so AD's acheivements of getting us there and keeping us there shouldn't be underestimated and indeed, neither should GJ's if he does it.

It's on a knife edge and the difference between success (GJ in the Prem) & Missing out to become "Under Pressure Gary Johnson" if we start next season in the CCC badly with heightened expectation, musn't be underestimated.

This is a golden opportunity and we can't afford to blow it.

Archived