IGNORED

Are We Part Of The Most Exciting League In The World?

gater2

Was just reading a report of the Soton game in the Times and the reporter made the point that in our league, it is literally only QPR and Preston who are basically guaranteed to be playing Championship football, as every team above them can at least make the playoffs, and every team below isn't quite safe yet. Most leagues by now will have a good number of teams who have settled in mid-table obscurity and most games will be meaningless. Although our recent form has been the most frustrating thing as we're so nearly there, I for one have really enjoyed being in a league where anyone can beat anyone.

More specifically in relation to us, again, I doubt many leagues could boast 5 teams (even 6 if Wolves keep performing) capable of coming in the top two. Sure we could 8 points clear and up by now (and of course if I had the choice I'd go for this), but this excitement at the end of the season with nerves all week, longing for Saturday to come, doesn't come around that often so lets enjoy being part of this, it's what we live for as football fans! Just think.. last day of the season, we're level on points but behind on goal difference with Stoke, Watford and Hull, but they're all drawing.. we're 1-1 until the last minute when Adebola gets fouled in the box.. up steps Trundle........ That's why football's the best game in the world, and we'd all hate it if supporting city were ever boring!!!

I agree, I'm loving it in this league, so much better than all those years in League 1.

A while back there was a thread asking if people really want to get promoted. Of course I do, if would be a fantastic achievement for the club and the whole point of sport is to strive to be as successful as you can. But I can also see the other side.

The championship is a competitive league of good quality, full of teams with decent stadia and good support, that still maintain a proper connection with their local community and fan base. It's football as it's meant to be. The Premier League is all about finance and ownership, with international select 11's, mercenary players and corporate appeasement. I heard a man city fan on a fone-in recently asking what they needed to do to push on to the next level, the reply, 'it all depends on the negotiations with any potential new foreign owener and his policy towards the playing side of the club!' ... whatever happened to the football? I'm taking increasingly less and less interest in the Premier League now, I'd never thought I'd be constantly switching over the Champions league quarter finals to check on Blackpool and Barnsley, but I did, sure it was because of the consequences to City but even in those games themselves there seemed to be more genuine meaning and real-life connection.

Add to all that the problems of securing tickets and the probability of struggling as a team and i certainly won't be despondent with another year in the CCC. Speaking up here to Palace fans, and I think its true of most of the other 'yo-yo' clubs, they much prefer their seasons of success in the CCC than their struggles in the Prem.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we went up, I got my tickets for the last 4 games and can't wait. It's been a great year, but next year will be too, wherever we are:)

I agree, I'm loving it in this league, so much better than all those years in League 1.

A while back there was a thread asking if people really want to get promoted. Of course I do, if would be a fantastic achievement for the club and the whole point of sport is to strive to be as successful as you can. But I can also see the other side.

The championship is a competitive league of good quality, full of teams with decent stadia and good support, that still maintain a proper connection with their local community and fan base. It's football as it's meant to be. The Premier League is all about finance and ownership, with international select 11's, mercenary players and corporate appeasement. I heard a man city fan on a fone-in recently asking what they needed to do to push on to the next level, the reply, 'it all depends on the negotiations with any potential new foreign owener and his policy towards the playing side of the club!' ... whatever happened to the football? I'm taking increasingly less and less interest in the Premier League now, I'd never thought I'd be constantly switching over the Champions league quarter finals to check on Blackpool and Barnsley, but I did, sure it was because of the consequences to City but even in those games themselves there seemed to be more genuine meaning and real-life connection.

Add to all that the problems of securing tickets and the probability of struggling as a team and i certainly won't be despondent with another year in the CCC. Speaking up here to Palace fans, and I think its true of most of the other 'yo-yo' clubs, they much prefer their seasons of success in the CCC than their struggles in the Prem.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we went up, I got my tickets for the last 4 games and can't wait. It's been a great year, but next year will be too, wherever we are:)

Top post mate and I agree with all you say. The championship is a top league to be in. It is so entertaining when you think that we are so close to automatic promotion, but at the same time could drop out of the play off places if results don't go out way. Whatever happens we have had a great season, but I think unfortunally now we have got so close there will be that 'what if.....' feeling should we not go up, and not have a quite so good season next season.

Personally I just hope that everyone will get behind the boys, starting on Saturday. The East End to be as good as it was earlier in the season and to just have a good time. If we don't make it now, oh well, we tried. No-one could have expected this and whatever happens we will be playing in a top, entertaining league next season.

Was just reading a report of the Soton game in the Times and the reporter made the point that in our league, it is literally only QPR and Preston who are basically guaranteed to be playing Championship football, as every team above them can at least make the playoffs, and every team below isn't quite safe yet. Most leagues by now will have a good number of teams who have settled in mid-table obscurity and most games will be meaningless. Although our recent form has been the most frustrating thing as we're so nearly there, I for one have really enjoyed being in a league where anyone can beat anyone.

More specifically in relation to us, again, I doubt many leagues could boast 5 teams (even 6 if Wolves keep performing) capable of coming in the top two. Sure we could 8 points clear and up by now (and of course if I had the choice I'd go for this), but this excitement at the end of the season with nerves all week, longing for Saturday to come, doesn't come around that often so lets enjoy being part of this, it's what we live for as football fans! Just think.. last day of the season, we're level on points but behind on goal difference with Stoke, Watford and Hull, but they're all drawing.. we're 1-1 until the last minute when Adebola gets fouled in the box.. up steps Trundle........ That's why football's the best game in the world, and we'd all hate it if supporting city were ever boring!!!

Agree with your post, though after last night Colchester also have nothing to play for, apart from pride.

Good points made, I can understand where your coming from. However we just want the opportunity to give it a go in the Prem. Having witnessed the old 1st division I want to witness it again. I know it's changed dramatically but we don't know for certain how we will feel until we've been there. Remember these YOYO clubs are not Bristol City that's why we support the Reds.

If we do go up, and return the following season then so be it, we will be better off for the experience and hopefully on the way to building a brand spanking new stadium, with hopefully a fan base to fill it.

I havent watched Match of the day once this season, i havent even bothered checking results unless i had a bet on it

If you want to watch a league where the winner is practically decided before the season starts because their the team with the most money then enjoy the prem.

THe Championship really is the best league in the world.

You cant predict a single match this season, its unbelieveable. The bottom team goes away to the favourties and scores 3 times, whats that all about?

Its how football should be, and like someone said a while ago... if Man Utd win the league, 90% of their fans will just smile and probably not even celebrate the fact theyve won it.

If Bristol City go up this season there wont be a SINGLE city fan that doesnt go out there and have the night of their life on Sunday 4th May (except the kids obviously).

You see if you can stop us celebrating, we'l still be on it in August.

Superb post. You should send it to Peter Scudamore who is alledgedly a City fan but I doubt he even knows what a fan is. He just understands customers.

We live in interesting times........ can the same same be said of division 1 and the top earners?

Balls to it all..... we deserve a shot and who cares after all this time?

UP THE CITY!

Just one season would be amazing whatever the outcome and the big bucks may well serve us well?

We live in interesting times........ can the same same be said of division 1 and the top earners?

Balls to it all..... we deserve a shot and who cares after all this time?

UP THE CITY!

Just one season would be amazing whatever the outcome and the big bucks may well serve us well?

I agree, and I want us to go up as much as anyone whether we can stay there or not it will do the club good and help us, at the very least, to consolidate as a CCC club. I still think though, that in traditional football terms its difficult to beat the championship so, if it does go pear-shaped over the next month, we still got loads to look frward to - it wont be all bad

I agree, and I want us to go up as much as anyone whether we can stay there or not it will do the club good and help us, at the very least, to consolidate as a CCC club. I still think though, that in traditional football terms its difficult to beat the championship so, if it does go pear-shaped over the next month, we still got loads to look frward to - it wont be all bad

Praise be on high.... to the special one .... the only one ..... gave life to me (as one of my songs goes)

This is the best chance we have had..... to get up there

Can you believe that we are where we are...... well no, but we are anyway.... amazing

I believe until we can't believe anymore....... and that's never because it's a leap of faith

We can do it ....... we will do it........ anything else at this stage has to be put on hold ( I know you understand)

Division 1 is just but a breath away......... COME ON YOU REDS! & UP THE CITY!

Archived