IGNORED

Lee Trundle / Steve Brooker

Dolman Block B

Dele can play the non-hoofball game, his goal against Sheffield Wednesday is an example of that, plus he can put it about and be a target/outlet if required.

He may be able to play non-hoofball but I'm afraid his presence encourages those with a poorer distribution ability to pump it long for the big man.

I'd like to see Trundle and Brooker up front.

I don't want to see us play one up front whoever we play, thats my main concern.

It's like we play on the break at home and my biggest frustration has been watching our lone striker (whoever he may be) receive next to f""k-all support.

Not wishing to rain or your parade or even pi$$ on your chips, however, ALL of out strikers have been at best, average, this season if not downright crap when they've started and that's not just down to personal form & ability.

Our wingers & full backs do not, on the whole, provide quality crosses and none of our strikers are anything like quick so they don't hurt teams down the channel.

Our midfield doesn't have many through balls in it either so, as a team, we're not set up to score goals, at least not many.

What that means is that if we slip below a high tempo, 100% effort game and the defence has an off day, we haven't got the ability to break teams down and that's why if we were to go a goal or two up, we rarely get enough players into the box or past the ball to threaten.In fact, nine will be behind the ball hanging on to what we've got, hence we don't win by three or four very often if at all and our zero goal difference.

If you can do it today, count how many players are past the ball and how many player are in the box when we cross a ball.

So, whoever we play and whatever formation ALL the players must give 100% for ninety minutes and our creative players MUST Be brave in the final third-That means getting to the box dribbling, shooting, crossing, getting past the ball and throwing yourself at the ball in the box-In short THEY must believe and for the last two months for long periods in games they haven't believed they can do it, hence the trepidation in the crowd which spreads so much so that in a recent online poll 51% of City fans believe that we won't go up and that we won't have another chance in years.

That's why I'm praying for a performance AND a win because that'll really iginte the last three games and engender confidence.

:city::city::city::sign09:

That's largely fair though to me Brooker hasn't been fit for long enough to be included in that assessment and I think both Adebola and Byfield have respectable goals to games ratios even if they haven't always played that well.

Not wishing to rain or your parade or even pi$$ on your chips, however, ALL of out strikers have been at best, average, this season if not downright crap when they've started and that's not just down to personal form & ability.

Our wingers & full backs do not, on the whole, provide quality crosses and none of our strikers are anything like quick so they don't hurt teams down the channel.

Our midfield doesn't have many through balls in it either so, as a team, we're not set up to score goals, at least not many.

What that means is that if we slip below a high tempo, 100% effort game and the defence has an off day, we haven't got the ability to break teams down and that's why if we were to go a goal or two up, we rarely get enough players into the box or past the ball to threaten.In fact, nine will be behind the ball hanging on to what we've got, hence we don't win by three or four very often if at all and our zero goal difference.

If you can do it today, count how many players are past the ball and how many player are in the box when we cross a ball.

So, whoever we play and whatever formation ALL the players must give 100% for ninety minutes and our creative players MUST Be brave in the final third-That means getting to the box dribbling, shooting, crossing, getting past the ball and throwing yourself at the ball in the box-In short THEY must believe and for the last two months for long periods in games they haven't believed they can do it, hence the trepidation in the crowd which spreads so much so that in a recent online poll 51% of City fans believe that we won't go up and that we won't have another chance in years.

That's why I'm praying for a performance AND a win because that'll really iginte the last three games and engender confidence.

:city::city::city::sign09:

I agree with that except I think Byfield does have pace. He just doesn't have a first touch to go with it.

Also, I'm sure you will accept a win only today. Sod the performance - 3 points is king at this stage. I do know what you are saying though.

Johnson was just speaking on five live! Adebola has got a slight knock and Brooker's playing well so he's starting with Brooker and Byfield up front...said it was the only combination he hasn't tried yet so hope come full time it works! Come on you redssssssssssssss!!

Well what did we make of that then?

10 out of 10 for stating that Brooker and Byfield would start, but still thought that there was a lot of hoofball going on. which we nearly always lost out on until a revitalised Brooker started winning some in the second half. Adebola would have without doubt caused their defence more problems in the air. Brooker and Adebola next game please. If both fit?

This may have been because Lee Johnson and Carle weren't involved (Carle only had a little playing time) but I didn't notice a significant improvement in our attacking abilities with the Brooker/Byfield pairing, but agree that Brooker looks first choice now.

As our wingers and midfield aren't exactly peppering our strikers with decent crosses or incisive through balls perhaps a more direct approach is required. Shame maybe but needed.

The way the team set up today with two mostly defensive central midfielders looked to me as though the creativity was supposed to come from the wings. It didn't - both wingers had poor games and were completely in the pockets of their respective full backs. Neither of them got much support in fairness.

We resorted to playing it direct out of defence over Skuse and Elliott much of the time rather than on the floor, and I think LJ collecting the ball off the defence and feeding the wingers would have made a big difference.

Brooker was great today and I think I'd like to see him next to Adebola for the two tough away games we have coming now.

Well what did we make of that then?

10 out of 10 for stating that Brooker and Byfield would start, but still thought that there was a lot of hoofball going on. which we nearly always lost out on until a revitalised Brooker started winning some in the second half. Adebola would have without doubt caused their defence more problems in the air. Brooker and Adebola next game please. If both fit?

This may have been because Lee Johnson and Carle weren't involved (Carle only had a little playing time) but I didn't notice a significant improvement in our attacking abilities with the Brooker/Byfield pairing, but agree that Brooker looks first choice now.

As our wingers and midfield aren't exactly peppering our strikers with decent crosses or incisive through balls perhaps a more direct approach is required. Shame maybe but needed.

Freezer. What you got to understand fellow, we are all BCFC fans , and for ffs, WE ALL WANT THAT PROMOTION.

Ived loved every moment of this season, the wife to.

Playoff,s? So be it. But PRIDE? Ive got abundence of it.

To see that ground once again SOLD OUT, making some serious noise was class.

If you have ever seen Ashton Gate, with 3000 in, on a cold tues night, 3rd division v Notts County you will understand.

Lets enjoy probably the best season ever :innocent06:

Freezer. What you got to understand fellow, we are all BCFC fans , and for ffs, WE ALL WANT THAT PROMOTION.

Ived loved every moment of this season, the wife to.

Playoff,s? So be it. But PRIDE? Ive got abundence of it.

To see that ground once again SOLD OUT, making some serious noise was class.

If you have ever seen Ashton Gate, with 3000 in, on a cold tues night, 3rd division v Notts County you will understand.

Lets enjoy probably the best season ever :innocent06:

Arny me old mucker, what about the game with the new strikeforce. Did you think it worked well?

No need to lecture me babber, I've been there in the dark days too.

The way the team set up today with two mostly defensive central midfielders looked to me as though the creativity was supposed to come from the wings. It didn't - both wingers had poor games and were completely in the pockets of their respective full backs. Neither of them got much support in fairness.

We resorted to playing it direct out of defence over Skuse and Elliott much of the time rather than on the floor, and I think LJ collecting the ball off the defence and feeding the wingers would have made a big difference.

Brooker was great today and I think I'd like to see him next to Adebola for the two tough away games we have coming now.

I can't agree that Brooker was great today, although he was MOM there wasn't any end product in terms of assists or goals.

We created next to nothing and were too happy with a draw,

I agree the wingers are attrocious and Brooker/Byfield didn't look any better than the othet striker combinations that have been tried and failed.If McAllister was fit for Stoke I'd play wing backs, however, unless we did something like this, assuming McAllister & LJ don't make it.

.........BASSO.....................

...........CAREY..............MCCOMBE........FONTAINE..................

WILSON...........ELLIOTT..SKUSE..CARLE.............MCINDOE.....

............BROOKER..ADEBOLA.........

SUBS

WEALE

CARLE

BYFIELD

TRUNDLE

VASKO

we may have to go 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 with Fonts at LB and that won't hurt against Stoke.We'd have plenty of height for those throws!!

Guest ashtonyate
I can't agree that Brooker was great today, although he was MOM there wasn't any end product in terms of assists or goals.

I agree the wingers are attrocious and Brooker/Byfield didn't look any better than the othet striker combinations that have been tried and failed.If McAllister was fit for Stoke I'd play wing backs, however, unless we did something like this, assuming McAllister & LJ don't make it.

.........BASSO........

...........CAREY.MCCOMBE........FONTAINE.....

SUBS

WEALE

CARLE

BYFIELD

TRUNDLE

VASKO

we may have to go 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 with Fonts at LB and that won't hurt against Stoke.We'd have plenty of height for those throws!!

seeing the service Byfield & brooker got they were great it was Midfield without Johnson that let them down. Still we always try Trundle up front.

BB recommending 352? Some things never change!

I do think that's a strong XI but I am hoping LJ is fit (not least cos you're playing Carle twice :P), this shocking run of form has really highlighted his value to the team for anyone who didn't see it before. We seem to have real trouble playing football when the defenders have to distribute for themselves.

For me Brooker was never going to get an assist today because there was nobody willing to run beyond him, and he had to carve his own half chances out. He worked really hard and I don't think many could have done better with the complete absence of service.

BB recommending 352? Some things never change!

I do think that's a strong XI but I am hoping LJ is fit (not least cos you're playing Carle twice :P), this shocking run of form has really highlighted his value to the team for anyone who didn't see it before. We seem to have real trouble playing football when the defenders have to distribute for themselves.

For me Brooker was never going to get an assist today because there was nobody willing to run beyond him, and he had to carve his own half chances out. He worked really hard and I don't think many could have done better with the complete absence of service.

agree on 3-5-2 - I won't even bother comment on it, apart from to say it's a formation I don't think I've ever seen work well at any level.

agree regarding Brooker, he was very good today and for most of the game, looked like the only way we were going to get a goal, suffered a complete lack of service and any chances he got where ones that he had pretty much created himself, said it in other postings but I think the Byfield/Brooker partnership has the most potential of any partnerships at the club as SB likes playing with the Byfield kind of player, unfortauntely though we don't really have the time to "wait and see" if it will gel, as due to Brookers problems this season, it's taken till now to get to see it.

personally though, I'd probably stick with it for Stoke, though personally the only unforced change I'd make for next week is Wilson in for Orr.

.........BASSO........

...........CAREY.MCCOMBE........FONTAINE.....

SUBS

WEALE

CARLE

BYFIELD

TRUNDLE

VASKO

Oh dear, BB. Every post tonight and your star spot on Radio Bris you've just been miserable, miserable, miserable.

Your preposterous formations are making you look stupid. Taken in isolation, your formation has merit. Except Stoke's quick and pacey forwards will love 3 centre backs. And Wilson has hardly played. And Adebola and Brooker haven't played together. But it has merit. I guess you passed an exam with this kind of insight?

Why don't you sit back and consider the options open to GJ who has to manage the team. Then come back and give us your thoughts.

For once, cant you realise its not always about assists/goals?

Brooker battled away, had some nice touches, brought others into play..and most importantly...had a few cracks at goal from a no win situation.

With zero service I'd say he did great.

Arny me old mucker, what about the game with the new strikeforce. Did you think it worked well?

No need to lecture me babber, I've been there in the dark days too.

Fair play Freezer. I honestly thought Byfield was poor and Brooker didnt have any support, so did it work well? No.

I cant think what Johnson has to do now to make it work. Is there a player in the squad that can score the goals?

We got to stick behind the lads as we have all season, its tough to see just where the goal/s are going to come from.

Will stick my neck out and say give Brooker/Adebola a go.

As for the dark days, we aint ever going back there my babbers :innocent06:

seeing the service Byfield & brooker got they were great it was Midfield without Johnson that let them down. Still we always try Trundle up front.

the key element missing today was Lee Johnson - no one was looking for the ball, no one to pick it up from the defence and work it through midfield, and no one to take decent set pieces. So we resort to hoofing long from defence to strikeforce, who seemed mostly incapable of collecting. With a poor game from both our wingers in the first half our forward play was non existent! I sincerely hope Lee J is fit for the last 3 games.

the key element missing today was Lee Johnson - no one was looking for the ball, no one to pick it up from the defence and work it through midfield, and no one to take decent set pieces. So we resort to hoofing long from defence to strikeforce, who seemed mostly incapable of collecting. With a poor game from both our wingers in the first half our forward play was non existent! I sincerely hope Lee J is fit for the last 3 games.

That isn't so much Lee Johnson missing rather than what I call your "creative midfielder".

As my old grandad used to say when he talked about City sides "you need a battler and a pansy, the battler wins it and the pansy is the one who makes things happen going forward"

Today we had two battlers and no creative midfielder. Skuse and Elliott for me are the same type of player.

You play -

Skuse with Johnson/Carle

Elliott with Johnson/Carle

Not Elliott and Skuse.

You wouldn't play Carle and Johnson either, same sort of problem - lot of creative stuff but we'd get overrun.

I.M.H.O L.T will be going back to Swansea , where he is still God like; if we can get 25/30% of what we paid for him we`ll be doing well; sorry L.T nice skills but.............

That isn't so much Lee Johnson missing rather than what I call your "creative midfielder".

As my old grandad used to say when he talked about City sides "you need a battler and a pansy, the battler wins it and the pansy is the one who makes things happen going forward"

Today we had two battlers and no creative midfielder. Skuse and Elliott for me are the same type of player.

You play -

Skuse with Johnson/Carle

Elliott with Johnson/Carle

Not Elliott and Skuse.

You wouldn't play Carle and Johnson either, same sort of problem - lot of creative stuff but we'd get overrun.

Agree with you there, we had no one to pass it around the middle and Elliott and Johnson have worked well through the season. Still not sure if Carle is the answer in the middle though. Like others I haven't worked out where his best position is yet!

I.M.H.O L.T will be going back to Swansea , where he is still God like; if we can get 25/30% of what we paid for him we`ll be doing well; sorry L.T nice skills but.............

I would like to see Lee play up front alongside Brooker - I am sure that was the partnership in mind at the start of the season before Brooker got injured. Shame to write off Trundle already?

Guest ashtonyate
I would personally like to see brooker/trundle. Byfield look clumsy today, and dele was not brought on early enough to have much effect imo. We lacked some height upfront today, although brooker looked sharp and the most likely to score.

What game were you watching Byfield had a good game just needed a midfield player to put the right ball in also Byfield is a better player than Trundle by miles

Yep Brooker and Trundle for me!

Brooker and Trundle look perfect for each other if we can get some pace down the flanks to run on (will Sproule be fit and fast unlike yesterday) it could be the way to outwit dirty Stoke

Byfield coming on off the bench if we need pace towards the end

No he wasn't

Drew. Tell me what the guy honestly done in the game?

Ran about, but shot,s on goal :noexpression:

Sadly mate, DB aint the answer. Prob Trundle Ade SB as well.

Championship teams have amazing strike forces.

Look at Sheff Utd. Beattie been out 7 months then gets 8 goals in 8 games.

Thats a striker mucker. :fingerscrossed:

Our problem is that we havent had a settled pairing all season. Byfield wasnt too bad but his first touch was poor, he is better as an impact sub imo. Trundle wouldnt have been given any time on the ball yesterday and i don't think he will play again this season from the start which is a shame as Trundle / Brooker given time would prob have worked

Fully agree. During the match I noticed the players were very indecisive about who was going to take the set pieces, they seemed to be waiting for each other and really unsure. I'm wondering if Lee Johnson failed a late fitness test or something as it really didn't look like the midfield knew what to do, ie not what they had been practicing all week, and were making it up as they went along. Yes, we really are missing LJ.

Our problem is that we havent had a settled pairing all season. Byfield wasnt too bad but his first touch was poor, he is better as an impact sub imo. Trundle wouldnt have been given any time on the ball yesterday and i don't think he will play again this season from the start which is a shame as Trundle / Brooker given time would prob have worked

Probably would of worked, but never given a chance.

Sadly, cant see GJ trying that partnership with 3 to go.

And LT will be shipped out at the end of the season

Archived