IGNORED

Ref Comments From Swindon Match

oldfield

For those of you that can't be arsed to look, here is the article in full;

12:30 - 13 April 2004

""I Refereed my seventh Nationwide League game of the season on Easter Saturday when I took charge of the Second Division encounter between Swindon Town and Bristol City at the County Ground.

This was a very important game between two teams in play-off positions where at this time of the season points are very important. This was only my second visit to Swindon since being promoted onto the referee list 11 years ago, and it was interesting to see that they have plans to move to a new ground, as their present home is a bit tired looking.

I don't really know what to say about the game itself as it was the poorest one I have seen all season.

There wasn't a great skill level in evidence and if either of them do get promoted to division one, I think they will have to improve significantly. Bristol City took the lead in added time of a very poor first half, but Swindon equalised with perhaps the only bit of real skill during the whole 90 minutes when Rory Fallon produced an excellent overhead scissors kick, which flew into the back of the net.

The game was summed up when in added time of the second half, a Bristol City player managed to hit the post with a header from less than three yards out with an open goal at his mercy.

No wonder, as I blew my whistle for full time, he was still on the ground with his head in his hands!

From a refereeing point of view it was quite difficult to read the pattern of play, but the game was played in a very good spirit between the players, so it was relatively easy for me to stay out of the way and let them get on with it.""

Referee Barry Neale.

what a prat!!!!!!

yes the game was poor but of the decent football that was played,we played it all!!!!!

how many times did you see swindle string more than 2 passes together before lumping it in the box mr neale????

or was your head to far up your own arse!!!!!!! that being the explination for us getting about 3 free kicks throughout the entire game!!!!! what a numpty!!!

and hes a premiership ref aswel.

What a to$$er.

Derbies are pressure situations at the best of times let alone at this stage of the season with both teams having something to play for. It was never going to be a classic. Commitment and attitude always overshadows skill at these events.

If he stamped early on unacceptable, persistent holding offences, it would of allowed for a more flowing game than the stop-start affair we all witnessed.

It further proves to me that, in general, referee's are out of touch with the players and the significance of the games.

We all know that City's play will need to hit more consistent levels WHEN we go up and that we are probably 2 or 3 quality players light. This gimps comments make it sound like we are a lot poorer than that.

How can the fans/players respect these people when they produce an inept performance and then follow it up by being critical of TWO very good 2nd division sides? :ph34r:

After reading that it has made me change my mind about what a referee is. I used to think they got paid to turn up and referee the match, but apparantly now they are football pundits, who have the cheek to point out what is wrong with the way the teams are playing and the cheek to take the mick out of one of our players after missing from 4 yards!

Well Mr Referee, if it wasn't for your cr*p decision where you gave them the free kick when it should have been our free kick after a foul on Christian Roberts, which lead to them scoring their goal, we may well have won that match, and that would have put us in a much better position going into tonights game. We could have gone above QPR with a win tonight, but no, I suppose you just wanted to keep the game interesting as it was so poor.

T**S*R!

Its so laughable that there are screams of outrage from city fans at an honest assessment of bristol city. From what i've seen thus far this season, with a few exceptions, City have been appalling and diabolical. ther standard of play has easily been the worst for many years and their finishing quite simply Sunday league standard.

As a City supporter of nearly 35 years I find the current season one of the worst in terms of playing standard. It does say a huge amount about the general standard of this division that city are third. The referee, if that really was him, was quite correct.

Why should a reasonable criticism of the team attract such howls of outrage when it was a fair assessment? City ARE poor. City will find it very tough to survive in the next division if they go up should they continue with this load of codswallop they have dished up this season.

I'm hopeful things will improve - lets face it they can't go backwards very much.

may I add my name to the minority of us who hate to say it but agree with what he said on the skill factor, particulary "that" miss from miller, who I still rate as a good player for the future!

Even Wilson could not stop himself mentioning it afterwards, where to his credit he was honest and did not overly protect the player concerned.

Archived