IGNORED

Young Player Of The Season ?

andy g

Don't worry, i'm not expecting a vote at this stage - I'm just asking who are the candidates ?

This season we've done incredibly well with a young-ish squad, but I'm struggling to think of anyone you would call a "young player" unless you count someone like Cole Skuse

This is not in anyway a criticism, its just an observation. Or are there some young players I'm forgetting about ?

Don't worry, i'm not expecting a vote at this stage - I'm just asking who are the candidates ?

This season we've done incredibly well with a young-ish squad, but I'm struggling to think of anyone you would call a "young player" unless you count someone like Cole Skuse

This is not in anyway a criticism, its just an observation. Or are there some young players I'm forgetting about ?

Says it all about our academy really doesn't it?

Can only be Marvin Elliott.

Jennison Myrie-Williams?

Says it all about City's approach to young players. The only real option for young player of the year, did not actually spend any quality time on the pitch for City.

It is so disappointing that whilst other Championship teams can bring through the young pro's, whilst also enjoying league success, we have no 1st team players under 21, The likes of the excellent Artus, Plummer and Ribeiro had better "smell the coffee" and serouosly consider their career options. Devastating situation for locally produced players who nearly achieved their dreams of playing for City, but are now far far away from their dream.

Says it all about City's approach to young players. The only real option for young player of the year, did not actually spend any quality time on the pitch for City.

It is so disappointing that whilst other Championship teams can bring through the young pro's, whilst also enjoying league success, we have no 1st team players under 21, The likes of the excellent Artus, Plummer and Ribeiro had better "smell the coffee" and serouosly consider their career options. Devastating situation for locally produced players who nearly achieved their dreams of playing for City, but are now far far away from their dream.

For a start both Riberio is only 17 and defense has not really been our problem this season. Plummer could be argued should have had a shout although I've seen him a few time in the rezzies and fa youth cup and would say imho he needs to bulk up a bit. As for frankie he went on loan to Exeter and couldn't get a game thats why he came back. Why has no league club come looking on loan? Maybe because like lots of young footballers they reach a natural limit and stop progressing, therefore he might simply not be up to it?

And lets face it over the past 10 years we've produced many a player who has gone on to play for better or equally as good team (with the exception of Phillips and Coles who would thought they would end up at Swindon? Yeovil? Cheltenham? Rovers) So they youngsters at the club should realise if they're good enough they will get a chance even if it doesn't come quickly as they would like.

What do you mean by "the only real option"? What are your criteria for a young player?

Fontaine is 22 and played a major part, particularly at the start of the season and during Carey's absence. A strong argument could be made that he was our most consistent performer in defence this season.

Elliot is 23 and is a contender for senior player of the season as well as young player.

Even Jamie McCombe is barely 25 so very nearly qualifies in my opinion.

Is it because these young players didn't come from our youth team that you discount them, or because they've been in the first team so much that it's easy to forget how young they are?

There is nothing wrong with City's approach to young players. If they're good enough they get in. I'm sure a few more would have got a chance if we hadn't found ourselves involved in a promotion race. Gary has to play a team he's confident will win and right now he can't afford to blood youngsters. You can't complain about that, surely? How many of their own young players have Man Utd brought in this season?

Problem this season has been though is that in generally most players have been doing so well this season and with the depth in the squad early season it's made more sense for the younger players to move out on loan.

In generally regardless of who ability younger players have had, they are still behind current other squad players if first team players get injured.

Looking at the other top teams, I'm not sure who these so called youngster are that have been thrown in? looking at the likes of Stoke, Hull, West Brom etc, they have all been going for loan signings from other teams as opposed to their own younger players, the only other team to have really risked youngsters is Palace who have put in one or two.

Has to be. He's the only contender really! :noexpression:

Shown maturity in what has been a big step up in a better quality of football and a consistancy that some other team members would wish for .

There are few contenders in reality and hopefully others will be given the chance if we do fail to go up to the prem for next season . If we end up in the prem I feel it would be hard for the youngsters to get a run and break through for even an odd game let alone a run .

:englandsmile4wf: super marvin elliot :englandsmile4wf: old player of the season?????

Archived