IGNORED

One Point To Get Off My Chest!

CityCiderEd

I know i may well be slated for this but oh well. I think our defence for the majority of this wonderful season looked really accomplished with Fontaine in the starting 11.(in my eyes, one of the candidates for player of the season) now McCombe is guaranteed a start it seems and i really don't know why, I think even the goals, important as they were for us masked some shocking performances. I mean every defender can head a ball clear and maybe pop up with a couple a goals now and then from set pieces. But as a footballer he is SH1T.Head down and hoof it to noone....EVERYTIME. Not to mention he is the slowest defender we have surely! And I'm no part time fan, i have a season ticket, and have been away a fair few times too. I think in recent times he has struggled massively, and i am aware others around the team have too, I just honestly don't think he can cut it at this level.

Thoughts?

hate to say it, but mccombe is definatley our weakest player, if we need a big guy what did vasko do wrong????

super season though!!!

U REDZ

I've been saying this for getting on three months now.

The base of our defence has been Fontaine and Carey, he has come on leaps and bounds playing with Louis and looks a really measured defender.

He plays the ball to feet, he is quick and his all round awareness is excellent.

McCombe is suited to L1. There he comes up against big tall strikers who are slower in nature and more used to route 1.

McCombe's slow turning ability and distribution makes him look badly out of his depth.

There is no reason whatsoever for Fontaine to be on the bench with a far weaker centre back on the field.

It's been one of our main downfalls.

McCombe and Orr's poor distribution, the endless route one stuff - it's all played its part in our sudden poor run.

How about we go back to our back four which took us top two and play the ball through the middle and distribute to McIndoe to run at his full back at Sheffield??

We go route one there with McCombe at the back vs the Sheff Utd attackers (who are Prem quality), then I'm afraid we'll get beat again.

hate to say it, but mccombe is definatley our weakest player, if we need a big guy what did vasko do wrong????

super season though!!!

U REDZ

Good point. It took a short while for the big guy to settle. But thought he was looking better with every game he got under his belt. And at least his distribution is reasonably good. For some reason he is only getting looked at as a striker, just because he is over 6 foot :noexpression:

I've been saying this for getting on three months now.

The base of our defence has been Fontaine and Carey, he has come on leaps and bounds playing with Louis and looks a really measured defender.

He plays the ball to feet, he is quick and his all round awareness is excellent.

McCombe is suited to L1. There he comes up against big tall strikers who are slower in nature and more used to route 1.

McCombe's slow turning ability and distribution makes him look badly out of his depth.

There is no reason whatsoever for Fontaine to be on the bench with a far weaker centre back on the field.

It's been one of our main downfalls.

McCombe and Orr's poor distribution, the endless route one stuff - it's all played its part in our sudden poor run.

How about we go back to our back four which took us top two and play the ball through the middle and distribute to McIndoe to run at his full back at Sheffield??

We go route one there with McCombe at the back vs the Sheff Utd attackers (who are Prem quality), then I'm afraid we'll get beat again.

I can hear James Beattie rubbing his hands together from here! We definately need to bring our passing game back. And by no means is it just McCombes fault. But as long as he is on the time sheet, that IS the game we will be playing from the back.

I would pick Fontaine and Carey every time. When has Fontaine ever let us down?!

Granted he doesn't chip in with the odd goal like McCombe does, but neither does Carey.

Afterall, a defenders primary task is to defend. I think the only reason that McCombe is in the team ahead of Fontaine is because he is more of threat in the opposition's box. Fontaine is better on the ball, has better passing ability and we work better as a unit with him in the side.

We are all at sixes and sevens with our views here but for me Carey has been the biggest disappointment since he has returned from injury.. which coincides, does it not, with our abyssmal run.

Captain marvel he has surely been but yesterday I think summed it all up for me. He is coming to the end of his sell by date. He was second to virtually every ball and really looked out of sorts. I hope for all our sakes he improves and fast but I think, sadly, we just might be seeing the end game for him.

We are all at sixes and sevens with our views here but for me Carey has been the biggest disappointment since he has returned from injury.. which coincides, does it not, with our abyssmal run.

Captain marvel he has surely been but yesterday I think summed it all up for me. He is coming to the end of his sell by date. He was second to virtually every ball and really looked out of sorts. I hope for all our sakes he improves and fast but I think, sadly, we just might be seeing the end game for him.

So you would pick McCombe over Carey?

GJ seems to punish players by leaving them out.

The Vasko McCombe showing at QPR was a joke.

Vasko screwed up big time against Cardiff.

Fontaine (if I remember correctly) had a mare against Plymouth and lost Fallon everytime.

Prefer Fontaine in with Carey though tbh.

He seems the sort of player who will go from strength to strength with games under his belt, and will get worse if he sits on the bench.

Against Sheffield United, if Lee Johnson is unavailable (which is 99.9% likely), then I'd play

Basso

Orr...Carey...Fontaine...McAllister

Sproule...Elliott...Carle...McIndoe

Trundle...Brooker

If Brooker is unfit then I'd play Adebola

Also I'd be happy for Carle to be replaced by Noble as long as one of them plays to give us that badly lacking creativity with Skuse partnering Elliott

I wouldn't play McCombe, I just think vs quick Sheffield defenders he'll be torn apart again.

Right wing is an enigma, Sproule is out of sorts I admit but what other option is there? Murray is too old now and is best used as an impact player and Wilson was non-existent yesterday.

We have to play it on the floor though for fk sake!!!!!

I totally Agree that McCombe is the weakest defender we have, if we go up be it via the playoffs he would get crucified every week, he is a good First Division Player as he proved last season, but he is far to slow for the Champoinship and most certainly the Preiership.

the Second Goal was his fault yesterday.

And if we don't sign Vasko on a permanent Contract it would be a miscarriage of Justice, he has the potential to play in the Premier League, his distribution alone is worth his place, Sadly though if he has a bad game he is dropped and left out for a few games, if McCombe has a bad game he is rewarde by being picked for the next game, something wrong somewhere. :dunno:

Guest MaloneFM
The Second Goal was his fault yesterday.

Not saying he didn't have a stinker but if you look at the replay again, his left foot slipped. Mind you he wasn't exactly like shit off a shovel in trying to chase back.

Against Sheffield United, if Lee Johnson is unavailable (which is 99.9% likely), then I'd play

Basso

Orr...Carey...Fontaine...McAllister

Sproule...Elliott...Carle...McIndoe

Trundle...Brooker

If Brooker is unfit then I'd play Adebola

Also I'd be happy for Carle to be replaced by Noble as long as one of them plays to give us that badly lacking creativity with Skuse partnering Elliott

I wouldn't play McCombe, I just think vs quick Sheffield defenders he'll be torn apart again.

Right wing is an enigma, Sproule is out of sorts I admit but what other option is there? Murray is too old now and is best used as an impact player and Wilson was non-existent yesterday.

We have to play it on the floor though for fk sake!!!!!

Looks very good to me, Trundle added quality when he came on yesterday and I think Carle would have been a better pick in midfield. As someone mentioned on another thread I think that a recently below par Sproule would have been preferable to Wilson. Would be happy with that team Hicksy.

Looks very good to me, Trundle added quality when he came on yesterday and I think Carle would have been a better pick in midfield. As someone mentioned on another thread I think that a recently below par Sproule would have been preferable to Wilson. Would be happy with that team Hicksy.

I'll second that. This is the team i have wanted to see start for the past month and a bit, and since little Lee has been unfortunately sidelined. I know a hell of a lot of us cant remember the last good effective game ivan has had, but as was mentioned. WHO else is there, maybe Wilson deserves another chance but he is no right winger and is far better supporting the wide player, rather than him being the furthest forward. And even if Sproule does have a bad game his pace alone may force an error in their defence, which could cause a free kick, a corner. Which creates a chance none the less.

HAD to of started vasko

said it minutes after the wolves game

stoke are a big strong physical team but mccoumbe when you thik isnt that strong !

vasko has pace over him and strength

mccoumbe has been brill this season in terms of goals (charlton,c palace)

his mind is take touch hoof it and hope for the best

bottled it for sidebe's second

GJ got that wrong and he should of started trunds and sproule instead of byfield and wilson

didn't even know byfield was playing he didnt do anything!

HAD to of started vasko

said it minutes after the wolves game

stoke are a big strong physical team but mccoumbe when you thik isnt that strong !

vasko has pace over him and strength

mccoumbe has been brill this season in terms of goals (charlton,c palace)

his mind is take touch hoof it and hope for the best

bottled it for sidebe's second

GJ got that wrong and he should of started trunds and sproule instead of byfield and wilson

didn't even know byfield was playing he didnt do anything!

McCombe won alot of headers though. Throughout the entire game.

He did his bit more often than not. He maybe could have won the ball before it bounced for the 2nd but anyone would struggle with 6'5 Sidibe jumping with the momentum of the ball on his side.

Archived