IGNORED

Gj Rants At The Team (he Could Have Posted On Here)

Markman

You are joking arent you? him and trundle came on and changed the game - we started to keep possesion, which meant less pressure on our defence, and more opportunitys and showed what a poor side Stoke really are - all this despite the fact he was played out of position!

don't take a rocket scientest to figure it out. when you heard that Elliott and Skuse were in midfield, did it fill you with confidence that we'd win??

I'm not alone with Noble - most reports I've read rated him lowdown at 5 or 6 out of 10. What changed the game was Mcindoe getting and receiving the ball wider whereas in the first half he was always down the middle.

And as for winning - no - didn't really think we would win at Stoke whoever played - but then - I thought we'd lose at Watford so what do I know!

I'm not alone with Noble - most reports I've read rated him lowdown at 5 or 6 out of 10.

And as for winning - no - didn't really think we would win at Stoke whoever played - but then - I thought we'd lose at Watford so what do I know!

whoever rated noble 5 or 6 must have been watching a different game :disapointed2se:

Wilson has been a complete failure every time he has been played on the right side of midfield. He was substituted after 45 minutes at Stoke playing in that position.

As i said, i would have gone for Sproule. We are not solid enough to try to defend for 90 minutes.

Well knock me down with a feather - I've seen plenty of games where we've won but done nothing but defend for 90 minutes.

I don't know why people are saying Sproule should have started - he was clearly injured in the last game (surely you all must have noticed he could hardly run for 5-10 minutes begore he was subbed and I noticed him signal twice to the bench that he couldn't carry on - looked like a groin or thigh strain to me) Brooker was also stated to be only 70% fit and therfore not risked in such an important game.

We know GJ likes to keep his selection under wraps until just before the game so he was hardly likely to mention the injuries and give Pulis an insight as to who was fit.

So Brooker & Sproule were unavailable.

GJ also said he would select those who were mentally up for it. We don't know who was or wasn't.

It's ok saying we should have gone all out for it etc but regardless of how attacking a line up you select the nature of Stoke's game means that you will find yourself defending the box almost as soon as you lose possession. We had to have players in who could defend 1 v 1 against crosses/throws into the box. We know we don't have many goals in us but we DID score and if we'd cut out the mistakes on another day we would have nicked a 1-0 as we've done many times this season. We were never going to go and win 4-0 were we?

McAllister should have done better and avoided being penalised for the free kick - although the Stoke player went down very easily, and Elliot was matched up against their tallest player and didn't try and jump but attemted to hold Sidibie but he was too strong for him. McCoombe should have done better for the second.

Unfortunately it now looks like we will finish 5th or 6th - possibly without winning another game - and this means the all important second leg of the semi final will be away.

Watford look the most beatable over the 2 legs so it may be no bad thing if we slip to 6th (rather than 5th) as I expect Watford (Scunny H - already down, and B'pool A - they'll be safe by then) to finish above Hull (Palace H Ipswich A - 1 point only?) .

CR

Wilson has been a complete failure every time he has been played on the right side of midfield. He was substituted after 45 minutes at Stoke playing in that position.

As i said, i would have gone for Sproule. We are not solid enough to try to defend for 90 minutes.

I agree about Wilson, but I don't think Carle is the answer. Sproule has been dreadful recently, and Murray looked past it against Wolves. Skuse was a failure on the right wing when he played there earlier in the season too. The nagging thought at the back of my mind is 'why didn't he at least give Kevin Betsy a game or two?' Maybe he might, MIGHT I stress, have been the answer.

I agree.

I think that's a bit generous.

I thought Trundle played well and changed the game. However to me, Noble was as anonoymous as Wilson.

I agree - Trundle for me was a major influence on changing the game - he has that "something" or at least the potential for it even if it has not been seen much this season - I would play him from the start v Sheff U

I think, with all the excuses and team selections quoted on this thread, the bottom line is Johnson made a grave error in the January window by not signing ANYBODY.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I do believe that his failure to capture any new players and his stubborness in sticking with the original squad for fear of upsetting the team spirit and balance was our ultimate undoing and the biggest single mistake he will be remembered for during this season.

I think, with all the excuses and team selections quoted on this thread, the bottom line is Johnson made a grave error in the January window by not signing ANYBODY.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I do believe that his failure to capture any new players and his stubborness in sticking with the original squad for fear of upsetting the team spirit and balance was our ultimate undoing and the biggest single mistake he will be remembered for during this season.

Nick Carle and Dele Adebola?

Ah yes, the guy with no goals and no assists. Nice choice!

Ah yes, the guy who in nearly 4 months has played barely a couple of hours in his favoured position of Centre Midfield. Hard to judge the guy fairly at the moment don't you think? Unless he gets games in the Centre I doubt we will ever see the best of him.

Dear oh dear..... :disapointed2se:

Noble was very effective.He played some quality passes and stood out as a good footballer.He created more in 45mins than all the others did in 90mins. Shame he didn't start the game.

Agree, He is not the quickest player in the world and has probably hardly ever played on the wing yet he was still far more effective than Wilson.

Ah yes, the guy with no goals and no assists. Nice choice!

Would that be the same guy that the man who is above criticism paid £½ million for? The one with no goals and no assists. Nice choice!!

What has disappointed people is the MANNER of the defeat on Saturday. We wanted to see someone in midfield who could put his foot on the ball and get the team passing (like Noble did second half). We wanted McIndoe out wide running at defenders and getting crosses in (like he did second half). We wanted to see our team actually go at Stoke and put them on the back foot in a "must win" game (like we did second half). Unfortunately, by the time second half came round we had effectively handed Stoke the game on a silver service. And personally, I don't blame the players for that. We actually died wondering - and that is what disappointed many of us on Saturday.

I don't need to be told by you or anybody else how well the management and players have done this season but I will not also pretend that a glaring error in team selection and strategy was not a mistake by our manager. It was and I am amazed that anybody else can think otherwise.

Well, Noble created little when he came on and Carle just hasn't been performing. And you were the one who said you KNEW we would lose from the line-up. Obviously GJ didn't KNOW, otherwise he would have chosen differently. So if you KNEW and he didn't, a hot line to your mobile seems a sensible solution don't you think?

Your first comment is plain wrong in my opinion. You now seem to be defending Johnson's selection for the sake of it. We had NO players in the first half and three players who put their foot on the ball in the second half. Those three players were Noble, Trundle and McIndoe when he was slung out wide to his proper position. What is your last comment all about? Sounds a bit childish to me - the guy has a different opinion to you which many of us happen to agree with - if you can't accept differing opinion then football forum's aint the place for you.

Nobody is saying Johnson is useless or should be sacked. We are simply stating a view, ON A FOOTBALL FORUM FOR CHRIST SAKE, that we feel the manager made a mistake in team selection last Saturday. Get over yourself.

Archived