IGNORED

Johnson Furious With Evening Post

Red Zeppelin

Johnson has spent lengthy time in his World interview saying how disgraceful and unnecessary that headline was, saying unfortunately the headline maker for that day obviously wasn't at the game or at the press conference. 'A poor, poor headline'.

Too right.

He who rides the tigers back can never get off.

an old chinese proverb, that kind of applies to this situation I guess.

However, as for the EP...

The 'bottling' bit is in quote marks, if GJ didn't say it then it reflects on the way the EP is prepared to misrepresent.

They (the EP) make my skin crawl. utterly gutless, inaccurate and opportunistic, low brow local journalism by failed has beens and never where's.

they subscribe to the lowest common denominator, but hey! thats their ambition I guess, to provide a poisoned, warped, right wing view of the region.

Johnson has spent lengthy time in his World interview saying how disgraceful and unnecessary that headline was, saying unfortunately the headline maker for that day obviously wasn't at the game or at the press conference. 'A poor, poor headline'.

Too right.

Welcome to the world of the evening post, that rag should be banned from ashton gate , all it ever does is cause trouble

Too right.

Depends on your definition of bottling it but I think there is a part of this team that has choked/bottled it/got scared/dizzy/etc. Just out of interest what would be wrong with that? If its not down to that he must be saying that its either that we;re not good enough or his tactics were wrong. To be fair I haven't heard the world interview but talk is cheap, results matter

Depends on your definition of bottling it but I think there is a part of this team that has choked/bottled it/got scared/dizzy/etc. Just out of interest what would be wrong with that? If its not down to that he must be saying that its either that we;re not good enough or his tactics were wrong. To be fair I haven't heard the world interview but talk is cheap, results matter

This is how the interview went (word for word):

GJ: There's still some points to be won anyway, so erm, ask me a question about the local newspaper (with a smile)

Adam: Yes, 'Bottlers' was the headline in the local press...

GJ: (interrupts) Poor, poor headline, absolutely..disgraceful headline. Because the people that were there, and you were there, will know in what context I said it. I said that we bottled in the first half, and then came strong in the second half. And there's no way that anyone outside of our football club is allowed to make a headline like that, of 'Bottlers'. It's almost as if, you know, it's almost saying that for the whole of the season, as if we've lost all hope, and the reason why we've lost it is because the players didn't show enough in this particular game. (Frowning) It's just a disgraceful headline, the headline man was obviously not at the game, he wasn't at the press conference. Unfortunately when it's your local newspaper you get a bit disappointed, because it's a poor headline for the season that this group have had. We've got to be very proud of this group of lads. I'm allowed to say that they bottled in the first half, and then say 'but we got it back in the second half', noone else is allowed a headline of 'Bottlers' because the lads have done us proud this season, and anyone who says otherwise is not a true supporter of us.

This is how the interview went (word for word):

GJ: There's still some points to be won anyway, so erm, ask me a question about the local newspaper (with a smile)

Adam: Yes, 'Bottlers' was the headline in the local press...

GJ: (interrupts) Poor, poor headline, absolutely..disgraceful headline. Because the people that were there, and you were there, will know in what context I said it. I said that we bottled in the first half, and then came strong in the second half. And there's no way that anyone outside of our football club is allowed to make a headline like that, of 'Bottlers'. It's almost as if, you know, it's almost saying that for the whole of the season, as if we've lost all hope, and the reason why we've lost it is because the players didn't show enough in this particular game. (Frowning) It's just a disgraceful headline, the headline man was obviously not at the game, he wasn't at the press conference. Unfortunately when it's your local newspaper you get a bit disappointed, because it's a poor headline for the season that this group have had. We've got to be very proud of this group of lads. I'm allowed to say that they bottled in the first half, and then say 'but we got it back in the second half', noone else is allowed a headline of 'Bottlers' because the lads have done us proud this season, and anyone who says otherwise is not a true supporter of us.

Hey hang on Johnson....... are you a true supporter of this club or the Manager that is payed a reasonable amount of money to be the Manager....... I do have an issue with that comment

Hey hang on Johnson....... are you a true supporter of this club or the Manager that is payed a reasonable amount of money to be the Manager....... I do have an issue with that comment

Somewhere in the middle I think. It's effectively his club in that he has brought about the infrastructure, players and staff, and I think he has a right to dictate the extent of the damage over what he owns, but it's not for local media to go overboard over what he says.

Somewhere in the middle I think. It's effectively his club in that he has brought about the infrastructure, players and staff, and I think he has a right to dictate the extent of the damage over what he owns, but it's not for local media to go overboard over what he says.

I think you get my point though Red....... and I'm for Johnson....... I do think that he has failed to inspire the team over the last few games(?) results were everything...... we have bottled it and half a game does not change that?

A season thrown away........ or we can still do it........ regardless of the obvious I WANT US UP!

We can still do it...... hate the pray-offs.......

So to the positives............ UP THE CITY (BRISTOL) NOT STOKE!

AUTOMATIC...... as it was before...... it's down to the team & Gary

You can't start saying that so and so is not a real fan...... not after the support and belief the fans have given this amazing season....... just don't like the thought of failing at the last jump.

UP THE CITY!

I think you get my point though Red....... and I'm for Johnson....... I do think that he has failed to inspire the team over the last few games(?) results were everything...... we have bottled it and half a game does not change that?

A season thrown away........ or we can still do it........ regardless of the obvious I WANT US UP!

We can still do it...... hate the pray-offs.......

So to the positives............ UP THE CITY (BRISTOL) NOT STOKE!

AUTOMATIC...... as it was before...... it's down to the team & Gary

You can't start saying that so and so is not a real fan...... not after the support and belief the fans have given this amazing season....... just don't like the thought of failing at the last jump.

UP THE CITY!

I don't think he's knocking individual City supporters at all Dorset, his comments are aimed at the headline writer who misconstrued GJ's comments to produce an unwelcome and damaging headline for the team, the manager, and the club.

To say the individual who chose this headline cannot be a City supporter ( or in local press terms, at least someone who wishes a local team, City, all the best ) seems fair enough to me, and judging by the make up of the staff at the EP that we all know about, there seems little doubt he may have hit the nail on the head.

I don't think he's knocking individual City supporters at all Dorset, his comments are aimed at the headline writer who misconstrued GJ's comments to produce an unwelcome and damaging headline for the team, the manager, and the club.

To say the individual who chose this headline cannot be a City supporter ( or in local press terms, at least someone who wishes a local team, City, all the best ) seems fair enough to me, and judging by the make up of the staff at the EP that we all know about, there seems little doubt he may have hit the nail on the head.

Headline writers............. choose the headline that will often provoke the biggest response

There is also the ambiguity in Johnson response to that headline.......

If Gary did not mean it like that he has chosen his words as unwisely as the headline writer has chosen his carefully to shock

Do we honestly expect a writer for a rag of any sort to be a City supporter or do they choose their words for maximum effect?

Do you believe any of the gutter people be it local or national?

That said Gary may well be pointing his gun at the press but is that how it comes over at the end of the day...... it's always easy to say I didn't mean that..... but Gary has said what he has said..... in the same way that the press have said what they said or misreported what Gary has said ........ to me my original comment stands........ who is Gary...... is he a supporter of Bristol City FC in the same way as many of the long standing die hard City fans....... or is he a Manager paid to be the Manager of Bristol City FC........... how long has he supported BCFC....... and I still have an issue with the comments he has made about people that may or may not be true Bristol City Supporters....... is he a true Bristol City supporter...... I think not in the greater understanding of the word....... so maybe he should think on or shut up?

Mods please feel free to give Gary my email address if you think I'm being unfair or if he wishes to answer me directly.

Spot On and Managers should realise that the media is a whore and not a mistress

an old chinese proverb, that kind of applies to this situation I guess.

However, as for the EP...

The 'bottling' bit is in quote marks, if GJ didn't say it then it reflects on the way the EP is prepared to misrepresent.

They (the EP) make my skin crawl. utterly gutless, inaccurate and opportunistic, low brow local journalism by failed has beens and never where's.

they subscribe to the lowest common denominator, but hey! thats their ambition I guess, to provide a poisoned, warped, right wing view of the region.

However GJ did say "We bottled the first half"

Very astute assesment.

GJ is a media luvvy yet at the same time he doesn't understand that the local newspaper & the press ARE NOT Supporters.They are in business to sell newspapers and they SHOULD try to accurately report & reflect what they see, please or offend without fear or favour.

A newspaper, not a glee club.

For me they fail all round.

I still have an issue with the comments he has made about people that may or may not be true Bristol City Supporters....... is he a true Bristol City supporter...... I think not in the greater understanding of the word....... so maybe he should think on or shut up?

I think your reading into that too much and it's a bit of mountains and molehills. It was just a passing comment in which is basically saying, "Anyone who thinks we've majorly screwed up and haven't done us proud this season cannot be a real Bristol City fan supporting us." Just trivial really.

Whether or not he is a 'true supporter' of our club or not is completely irrelevant, and he is just trying to do his job and not let media men undermine it.

• SC&T Board Members
However GJ did say "We bottled the first half"

Is it not possible that GJ knows exactly what he's doing here?

He surely knows that if he uses a term like 'bottled it', no matter how fleetingly, it's going to get blown up by the press.

He can then profess outrage and hope to develop a siege mentality of 'us against the world' in the dressing room.

If the players get as upset as GJ claims to be about the headline, then it may just do some good ... and maybe that's what GJ intended all along.

......that's the press in this country - they build people up into 'Superstars' then they'll bash them into the gutter at the slightest whim that'll get a good headline and sell their papers.

Dorset Cider has the right attitude...Up the City.....and we're up about 24 league places under Gary Johnson's tenure. Who can argue that that's not a great acheivement? :clapping:

There is only one answer if you feel the amatuer rag is constantly trying to undermine the club whenever it can. Boycott the bl00dy thing.

The Evening Post has made every underhand attempt over the years to undermine this club's players, supporters and now the best amanger we've had in 30 odd years. Given that our Police often exaggerate, and even falsify, a minor misdemeanor to make charges 'stick' I'd now say that Andy Stockhausen's ideal vocation would be as a corrupt Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) lawyer. What better set of corrupt CPS lawyers could the Police have than the Evening Post's writers, sub-editors, and departmental editor to quote some poor innocent out of context in court to get a conviction ???!!!!

The Evening Post has made every underhand attempt over the years to undermine this club's players, supporters and now the best amanger we've had in 30 odd years. Given that our Police often exaggerate, and even falsify, a minor misdemeanor to make charges 'stick' I'd now say that Andy Stockhausen's ideal vocation would be as a corrupt Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) lawyer. What better set of corrupt CPS lawyers could the Police have than the Evening Post's writers, sub-editors, and departmental editor to quote some poor innocent out of context in court to get a conviction ???!!!!

Good work Goblin. It only took you two posts on this thread to turn it round to your normal "corrupt CPS" and Police bashing. Try and stick to the thread topic. I think we all know your stance on the Police/CPS etc.

Good work Goblin. It only took you two posts on this thread to turn it round to your normal "corrupt CPS" and Police bashing. Try and stick to the thread topic. I think we all know your stance on the Police/CPS etc.

Thanks, Andy Stockhausen and Co are in the wrong jobs. We've had our best season in 30 odd years and the Evening Post's staff are refering to our players as bottlers. :noexpression:

There is only one answer if you feel the amatuer rag is constantly trying to undermine the club whenever it can. Boycott the bl00dy thing.

If GJ and City are that annoyed with the EP can't they just ban EP Press Staff from attending matches at Ashton Gate? Wouldn't BCFC have the 'rights' to the football played at the stadium and be able to dictate who can make a profit from it?

OK this would probably create a bigger 'PR' nightmare but at least it would make a point to the paper in a similar way to certain managers refusing to talk to some TV/Radio stations?

Is it not possible that GJ knows exactly what he's doing here?

He surely knows that if he uses a term like 'bottled it', no matter how fleetingly, it's going to get blown up by the press.

He can then profess outrage and hope to develop a siege mentality of 'us against the world' in the dressing room.

If the players get as upset as GJ claims to be about the headline, then it may just do some good ... and maybe that's what GJ intended all along.

:whistle2:Whatever it takes to improve things will have my support however it's obviously going to take a bit more than a few candles

Thanks, Andy Stockhausen and Co are in the wrong jobs. We've had our best season in 30 odd years and the Evening Post's staff are refering to our players as bottlers. :noexpression:

Actually, GJ said we bottled the first half-Meaning the players bottled it (Unless he meant him & Millen and I don't think he meant that!!!).

He was, of course, spot on and I believe Blagdon's point about some reverse psychology sort of "no one like us we don't care, bunker mentality" might work.........Frankly, if I thought all those attending the Gate not wearing trousers would stop the rot, I'd be the first one in shorts!!

I really do hate this disagree and your negative stance though.

Well spotted - and i don't get this either.

Why is it ok for Johnson to say this, but wrong for the EP to print it ?

It was the headline "Bottlers" designed to castigate the City players in the eyes of the Bristol public that Johnson objected to. I'll bet anyone as much as they want that no such headline EVER EVER appears against a Rovers match report whilst the current editorial team are incumbent. Yet this is the same Rovers languishing in 16th in LEAGUE 1 (which would have been classed as abject failure if our club finished themselves there), who will be lucky to finish half a dozen points ahead of the relegation places and who were oh so BRAVE and UNLUCKY when being torn to shreds by West Brom. It is a headline that is highly critical of a group of players that, whatever abilities they may possess or indeed lack, have worked their b0ll0cks off for us fans all season and done exceptionally well to finish wherever we end up this season. A headline that tosses all their hard work to one side and describes them as "bottlers". Did you expect GJ or his players to be happy with that? Players like Marvin Elliott and Louis Carey could be excused for punching Stockhausens lights out to be honest after reading that.

I am all for debate and have criticised the first half team selection on Saturday myself but the one thing you would expect a LOCAL paper to be is reasonably supportive of our club. They are in other parts of the country but then again maybe they don't possess editorial staff who are clearly biased in favour of one particular club to the point that they had to APOLOGISE for statements they printed about Bradley Orr that had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the story in question and have now had to CLARIFY their sensationalist headline after complaints by our Manager.

I think the club should seriously consider some sort of ban on the Evening Gas and I think many of you people should consider not buying the f00k1ng rag.

It was the headline "Bottlers" designed to castigate the City players in the eyes of the Bristol public that Johnson objected to. I'll bet anyone as much as they want that no such headline EVER EVER appears against a Rovers match report whilst the current editorial team are incumbent. Yet this is the same Rovers languishing in 16th in LEAGUE 1 (which would have been classed as abject failure if our club finished themselves there), who will be lucky to finish half a dozen points ahead of the relegation places and who were oh so BRAVE and UNLUCKY when being torn to shreds by West Brom. It is a headline that is highly critical of a group of players that, whatever abilities they may possess or indeed lack, have worked their b0ll0cks off for us fans all season and done exceptionally well to finish wherever we end up this season. A headline that tosses all their hard work to one side and describes them as "bottlers". Did you expect GJ or his players to be happy with that? Players like Marvin Elliott and Louis Carey could be excused for punching Stockhausens lights out to be honest after reading that.

It's not just Andy Stockhausen to blame as The Evening Post has made every underhand attempt over the years to undermine this club's players, this club's supporters, and now the best manager we've had in 30 odd years. The Evening Post's and WDP's editorial staff are hopelessly Gas ridden and it shows in most articles those papers print about this football club. It really is about time that the Evening Post's owners did something about the Gas infestation in their Sports department as they're now seriously damaging the 'impartial' reputation of their newspaper.

Archived