IGNORED

Help Me Remember

andy k

I've just been looking through youtube and came across a very fuzzy clip of us playing Stoke in our Autowindscreens final loss in 2000(i think).

Although i attended i didn't purchase a programme and therefore can't remember the starting line up.

Also it appears that our goalkeeper (Phillips i think) is wearing squad number 2.

Can you guys clear this up for me.

Nope Mercer was in goal that day according to Soccerbase, I got it wrong too!

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=280845

Bristol C: Mercer ,Carey (Amankwaah ,87 ) ,Jordan ,Millen ,Bell ,Murray ,Brown (Spencer ,68 ) ,Holland ,Thorpe ,Beadle ,Tinnion

Subs not used: Hill,Phillips,Burnell,

And I was sodding there as well!

That weekend cost me a fortune - all the family decked out in City stuff, hotel, etc etc. Same as the other finals including the disaster that was Brighton - but it was worth it and at least we've had days like that. Some clubs just go from season to season for 50 or 60 years with nothing at all.

Another one next month......hopefully.

spot on..... even if we blow it in the playoffs, its another nerve jangular our club is putting us through. How good does that feel.

We could be supporting Lincoln.

I don't remember the first goal at all, but I do remember their winner - Louis was still argueing with the ref when the ball hit the back of the net.

I said on another thread that I still have the baseball cap from that game and I'm hoping to wear it for a wembley return against Stoke next month...

Wasn't that attendance the highest in all competitions that season - including the FA cup final ?

I do, vaguely.

It was Kavanagh with a left footed shot from about 10 yards out that beat Mercer at the near post.

For the people who think that Colin Sexstone can go off on the wrong track with some of his ideas the commercial manager we had at the time was worse....prior to the game he asked the Football League for permission to send our mascot (City Cat) up the steps to collect the trophy instead of the captain as it would 'appeal to the kids more', thankfully they stopped laughing long enough to say no.

Just wish I could remember his name as I believe it was his choice that led to us all being in the ground before kick off, listening to the pitch announcer introduce Delilah as Stokes club anthem and watching them all sing it before getting ready for us to blast out Drink Up Thee Cider only for the announcer to introduce Hi Ho Silver Lining for our anthem!!! Never seen so many confused faces in my life.

For the people who think that Colin Sexstone can go off on the wrong track with some of his ideas the commercial manager we had at the time was worse....prior to the game he asked the Football League for permission to send our mascot (City Cat) up the steps to collect the trophy instead of the captain as it would 'appeal to the kids more', thankfully they stopped laughing long enough to say no.

Just wish I could remember his name as I believe it was his choice that led to us all being in the ground before kick off, listening to the pitch announcer introduce Delilah as Stokes club anthem and watching them all sing it before getting ready for us to blast out Drink Up Thee Cider only for the announcer to introduce Hi Ho Silver Lining for our anthem!!! Never seen so many confused faces in my life.

It was James something-or-other. He was also responsible for employing Sam Mason to do those awful, unlistenable, on-pitch routines of hers.

James Worrell I believe.

He also inflicted Sam Mason on us - "Bristol Rovers are drawing 0-0 at half time. Let's hope it stays that way." Yes, let's hope they don't lose eh, Sam?

I took my son (aged 8) and had been talking to him for weeks about how the build up to the match was pretty good. There was going to be a celebrity football match and we all had to sing 'abide with me', which always makes me cry! anyway the coach got caught in traffic and we missed all of that, just ran in in time for KO, or was it the 'hi ho silver lining song' as i remember that too.?what is it about me and late coaches!!! :(

Wembley was looking a bit tatty then, looked like it was due a makeover. Can't remember much about the match, everybody hated the football shirts and it wasn't like watching our players in them. Stoke had the advantage of the red &white and punished us.

It took us ages to get out after the game too, traffic everywhere, think there was an Ikea nearby which didn't help!

All I do remember that losing a cup final was painful, but nothing like the pain of losing a playoff final.

Archived