IGNORED

Hull City - Struggling To Find Reasons To Dislike Them

maidenheadred

There are kids on this site who don't remember the good old days, when Yorkshire was a bigger county than is now, when Gloucestershire came all the way down to Downend and Staple Hill, Kingswood and Hanham, and Somerset began at Long Ashton, and Bristol was a City and County.

And I think Hull was in the East Riding

Kevin you are correct god knows where the south riding covered Rotherham Sheffield? wasnt it the largest county in england at one time? :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

Kevin you are correct god knows where the south riding covered Rotherham Sheffield? wasnt it the largest county in england at one time? :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

I think that's right. Yorkshire is a divided county administratively these days but it was huge pre 74. There's an area of Yorkshire which was given to Lancashire in 74, you can imagine that went down like a lead balloon!!

I think that's right. Yorkshire is a divided county administratively these days but it was huge pre 74. There's an area of Yorkshire which was given to Lancashire in 74, you can imagine that went down like a lead balloon!!

The problem with country folk is you don't understand how bad northerners are....Hull is shit city...if we had GWB as Prime Minister he would have let the ######s drown....and you lot as well. Play off final would be Sarf London v Hertfordshire c8888

Drink up ye poison

There are kids on this site who don't remember the good old days, when Yorkshire was a bigger county than is now, when Gloucestershire came all the way down to Downend and Staple Hill, Kingswood and Hanham, and Somerset began at Long Ashton, and Bristol was a City and County.

And I think Hull was in the East Riding

Erm Somerset (technically being as it's in North Somerset now) DOES still start at Long Ashton :tongue:

And you're right I am one of those kids who doesn't remember the "good old days" :innocent06:

Easy:

1. Ian Ashbee is the Hull equivalent of Sean Derry. He will be full of himself and chirping at the ref throughout the game and clattering into our players. He lost his temper in the game at Ashton Gate earlier in the season and had a little tantrum.

2. They wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for Frazier Campbell, a player they do not own and who Man Utd have said they will not be able to sign permanently. So they are in a false position. Nothing wrong with loan players unless they are your best player. Then it's pretty embarassing.

See: http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry905919

3. Their manager is a disciple of Sam Allardyce and therefore full of himself, in spite of having no tangible managerial success and being a johnny-come-lately even to Hull's own promotions, he described Sir Gary Johnson (more promotions than you can shake a stick at) as lucky. What?

4. Their Chief Executive treads the wrong side of the line between ambition and gratuitous flashy self promotion. They may have signed Okocha, but Andy Cole, Juninho, Salomon Kalou's brother, Christian Vieri? More hot air than substance, their Chief Exec will do anything for the limelight.

5. Dean Windass. Nick Barmby. Need we say more. They will be the media darlings throughout the next week because of their histories and 'long journeys back to the Premier League' (you can have that line for free journalists). No matter that they never actually made it before...

6. We've been in the top six on merit since August. Hull have joined the party late and solely due to a borrowed Man Utd player. Hardly the same sort of achievement. We both signed strikers for £1m last summer. Lee Trundle (flair) versus Caleb Folan (big bloke to hit long balls to) anyone?

Erm Somerset (technically being as it's in North Somerset now) DOES still start at Long Ashton :tongue:

And you're right I am one of those kids who doesn't remember the "good old days" :innocent06:

North Somerset is a unitary authority, not part of the "Peoples' Rebublic" pre 74.

I don't dislike them.

Windass is a nob but they are a good footballing side and should have picked up a point at AG. Going to be very hard but I'm not expecting to win.

Go there expecting to win like the Brighton game and it will all end in tears. We can dream and hope but not expect. Whatever happens the club has done incredibly well.

A reason to dislike Hull?

Well I've had a very quick read down this thread and can't believe unless I missed it, that no one else is eagerly waiting the Evil Gas Post's 14 page spread full of interviews from Danny Coles!!!

That's enough reason for me!

Watford - one dimensional arrogant long ball merchants who humiliated us in 1996/97 and 1997/98, and i know 5 season ticket holders from various jobs and they all regulary text with post-defeat abuse. Plus their manager is a ####.

Palace - Warnock. Derry. Long ball and their best player doesnt even play for them and is a gashead. Fans are souless too - not nearly loud enough, home or away. And my mate Howie is a Palace fan - and one of those annoying part time fans who abuse when they beat us, but doesnt really care enough about his team to be affected when we beat them.

Hull - another big, long suffering city (although not as big as bristol - and we might have been there in 1978, but i was only 1 then); play proper football, a good respectful manager and crucially - i don't know a single hull fan. Mind you - their best player doesnt play for them either, so that's something...

On paper we might have preferred Sh1tford -but personally am happy with Hull. Cos if the unthinkable happens, i'll begrudgingly be OK for Hull to make it, cos in fairness - their fans probably deserve it almost as much as we do.

We don't have to dislike a team, to give them a sound thrashing on our way to the promised land :city:

Easy:

1. Ian Ashbee is the Hull equivalent of Sean Derry. He will be full of himself and chirping at the ref throughout the game and clattering into our players. He lost his temper in the game at Ashton Gate earlier in the season and had a little tantrum.

2. They wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for Frazier Campbell, a player they do not own and who Man Utd have said they will not be able to sign permanently. So they are in a false position. Nothing wrong with loan players unless they are your best player. Then it's pretty embarassing.

3. Their manager is a disciple of Sam Allardyce and therefore full of himself, in spite of having no tangible managerial success and being a johnny-come-lately even to Hull's own promotions, he described Sir Gary Johnson (more promotions than you can shake a stick at) as lucky. What?

4. Their Chief Executive treads the wrong side of the line between ambition and gratuitous flashy self promotion. They may have signed Okocha, but Andy Cole, Juninho, Salomon Kalou's brother, Christian Vieri? More hot air than substance, their Chief Exec will do anything for the limelight.

5. Dean Windass. Nick Barmby. Need we say more. They will be the media darlings throughout the next week because of their histories and 'long journeys back to the Premier League' (you can have that line for free journalists). No matter that they never actually made it before...

6. We've been in the top six on merit since August. Hull have joined the party late and solely due to a borrowed Man Utd player. Hardly the same sort of achievement. We both signed strikers for £1m last summer. Lee Trundle (flair) versus Caleb Folan (big bloke to hit long balls to) anyone?

sold.

the cheating northern bastards!!! :)

One of our Directors is a Hull fan, and I've met a few folk from up there - who were all thoroughly nice

And then there's the Housemartins (London 0 Hull 4)

I know where you're coming from...but the greater love will win out...COME ON YOU REDS!

Easy:

I think that's a little harsh, Barmby's a top player and a good guy, and as for the ManUre loanee - would we have said no?!?!?!?!

One of our Directors is a Hull fan, and I've met a few folk from up there - who were all thoroughly nice

And then there's the Housemartins (London 0 Hull 4)

I know where you're coming from...but the greater love will win out...COME ON YOU REDS!

Been desperately looking for something to really dislike about Hull - now you've handed it to me on a plate. The Housemartins :gaah: Mind you - I think they were actually a bunch of settlers/students from the south (Surrey, Cambridge etc) - not even genuine Hull.

Schoolboy blunders. Yorkshire never had a south Riding, just a North, West and East. 'Riding' is derived from a Viking word 'Thridding', which meant Third, so there are only three Ridings. Rotherham and Sheffield were in the West Riding. Hull is in the East Riding. The West Riding is sh*te, full of gits like Fred Trueman, Bernard Ingham and Parky. The East riding is ace.

Reasons for disliking Hull - if you're talking about the place there may be a few, but it's not the dump people suggest or imagine. One reason why you might have an axe to grind about Hull is that William Wilberforce (Hull MP) put an end to your slavery nonsence.

If you're talking about City, them what's to dislike?

I quite like Bristol City. You thoroughly deserved to beat Palace. Good luck to you.

reasons to dislike them?

Their celebrations were well over the top last night - champagne showers in the dressing room, what was that all about?

they seemed to think they've won it already. And their manager said we'd been lucky all season - yeah right, we'll be lucky at Wembley then - suits me!

CR

My mate and training partner is from Hull and also fan, but because of his accent I pretend I cant understand him and say he comes from what I thought he said 'Hell' They like whippets, coal dust, and chips and gravey.

whippets is west Yorkshire and coal is south Yorkshire mainly. now if you had said fishing it may have had some truth.

the celebrations last night was achieving our first ever visit to wembley in our 104 year history. Phil brown may have been a bit out of line to call you lucky buit we have also been lucky in games.you have to have your fair share of luck along with skill in any division.

One reason for disliking Hull is that the name contains just one syllable which ruins some chants. Against Watford, their attempt at: "And it's Hu-u-ll City, Hu-u-ll City F. C. ..." just sounded plain wrong.

Our very own: "Your sister is your mother ..." is similarly compromised with the ending: "the Hu-u-ll family".

Life's difficult enough without such complications. I think that a campaign should start right now insisting that all football clubs have at least two syllables in its first name. :whistle2:

Been desperately looking for something to really dislike about Hull - now you've handed it to me on a plate. The Housemartins :gaah: Mind you - I think they were actually a bunch of settlers/students from the south (Surrey, Cambridge etc) - not even genuine Hull.

No, Paul Heaton, the main man behind the Housemartins, was very definitely from Hull. I'm pretty sure he supports Hull, too. I met him in the Louisanna a few years back. Miserable bugger and typical northerner, but decent enough.

Not sure about Norman 'Quentin' Cook, the replacement bassist, though. With a name like that I'd imagine he's from the home counties.

Paul Heaton, the main man behind the Housemartins..... Miserable bugger and typical northerner.....

Typical Yorkshireman, if you don't mind. Lancastrians, on the other hand, are delightful people (I have to write this as I live among them)

No, Paul Heaton, the main man behind the Housemartins, was very definitely from Hull. I'm pretty sure he supports Hull, too. I met him in the Louisanna a few years back. Miserable bugger and typical northerner, but decent enough.

Not sure about Norman 'Quentin' Cook, the replacement bassist, though. With a name like that I'd imagine he's from the home counties.

Paul Heaton - born in Manchester, dragged up in Sheffield. What does it matter though - The Housemartins were f*ing sh*t anyway.

Paul Heaton - born in Manchester, dragged up in Sheffield. What does it matter though - The Housemartins were f*ing sh*t anyway.

On well a Lancastrian... but with Yorkshire influences, so probably had the good nature kicked out of him as an infant

On well a Lancastrian... but with Yorkshire influences, so probably had the good nature kicked out of him as an infant

Undoubtedly...moved from Lancashire when he was about 5 apparently, thence to Sheffield then to Chipstead in Surrey. Decided to patronise Hull when he was in his early twenties. Can't really blame Hull for him/them, so still looking for a valid reason to really dislike them - apart from the fact that they are playing us at Wembley and stand in our path to glory.

...my in-laws all support Hull - and in a way I'll be really torn whoever wins at Wembley - I've known them for 25 years - lovely people. Like us they've watched poor football home and away for a generation. Of course we'll win - but they'll be as gutted as we'd be if they lose - it's their big chance too...I'd rather play a team we might root for in the Prem than either Watford or Palace.

Archived