IGNORED

Coppell To Sign Reading Star (merged)

iWurzel

Are you sure? Reading fans dont rate him - he's a high earner...

I've got a bad feeling about this signing. I know ipswich fans did'nt rate haynes and millwall fans didnt rate Elliott - but both we're young.

He's fifth choice now at reading and most reading fans are glad he's going - not good signs.

He was one of the reasons we lost so heavily to them at Asthon Gate. A superb midfield presence. Skuse has alot to prove and Elliot is a shadow of what he can be.

**** what Reading fans think, they wanted Coppell out - Should we not have signed him?

He was one of the reasons we lost so heavily to them at Asthon Gate. A superb midfield presence. Skuse has alot to prove and Elliot is a shadow of what he can be.

**** what Reading fans think, they wanted Coppell out - Should we not have signed him?

precisely what I thought. based on his performance against us.

One of his only good games for them - that said he apparently played his best football under coppell - so lets hope I'm wrong.

Great journalism stating he is 26 when he is actually 28.

Quality.

I thought he was born on 9 January 1984 in Dreux, France...according to Wiki. Mind you any African or South American these days, could be saying they are in their 20's when in fact they are nearer 40 ;)

precisely what I thought. based on his performance against us.

One of his only good games for them - that said he apparently played his best football under coppell - so lets hope I'm wrong.

Whooooo hold the phone there, I used his game against us as an example, I've seen enough of him from televised matches to re-enforce that. You get your opinion from....a forum? 'ark at Mr football knowlege.

Coppell plays 4-4-2 always has and he likes to play with out and out wingers, to do that your 2 centre midfield players need to provide the cover for your back 4 whilst the wingers are bombing forward. We currently only have 2 players that can do that in Skuse and Elliott, Hartley is off and Johnson/Williams cant play that role. So if you are going to play this way all season you need more than 2 players to fill the 2 centre mid roles.

In fact if you look at the GJ reign when we played with wingers they were constantly coming inside and providing help for the 2 centre mid players so we didn't get overrun and when we played with wide men last season in a 4-4-2 we generally got stuffed (i.e. Cardiff, Doncaster)

Whooooo hold the phone there, I used his game against us as an example, I've seen enough of him from televised matches to re-enforce that. You get your opinion from....a forum? 'ark at Mr football knowlege.

I've also seen him play for reading on TV, but havent been overly impressed. I think reading fans are best placed to say whether he's a good player - and based on the fact that I've yet to see a post from a reading fan who is sorry to see him go - I'd say thats a little worrying.

Lets hope I'm wrong and your right and he does well for city.

Coppell plays 4-4-2 always has and he likes to play with out and out wingers, to do that your 2 centre midfield players need to provide the cover for your back 4 whilst the wingers are bombing forward. We currently only have 2 players that can do that in Skuse and Elliott, Hartley is off and Johnson/Williams cant play that role. So if you are going to play this way all season you need more than 2 players to fill the 2 centre mid roles.

In fact if you look at the GJ reign when we played with wingers they were constantly coming inside and providing help for the 2 centre mid players so we didn't get overrun and when we played with wide men last season in a 4-4-2 we generally got stuffed (i.e. Cardiff, Doncaster)

What you say makes sense, It does look like SC wants to play with 2 holding players protecting the back 4 - he's already stated that our defending

was a problem (from watching all the videos) and he presumably meant as a team /system rathan than just a back 4 problem.

Cisse played alongside Harper in the Reading promotion team, with Hunt and Kebe(sp!) out wide. Both Cisse and Harper are hard working, closing down types.

The fact that SC has signed Cisse when we had Marv and Skuse, and that he signed Adomah when we had JCR, Haynes, and Ivan, suggests that the midfield

will comprise of 2 holding players and 2 wingers. Hartley has already shown he wants to go to Hearts, and I think Williams will move on as well. This system will also mean that there will be no place for LJ as the defensive side of his game is not his strength.

I expect a commanding centre back (Shittu ?? or similar type) and a big striker (Kitson ??or similar type ) to be the next to join.

CR

I've also seen him play for reading on TV, but havent been overly impressed. I think reading fans are best placed to say whether he's a good player - and based on the fact that I've yet to see a post from a reading fan who is sorry to see him go - I'd say thats a little worrying.

You only have to look at the Bradley Orr thread to see how fans react when its rumoured a player is leaving.

Reading fans on there forum are just saying much the same about Cisse as a large amount of City fans are saying about Orr.

Me, i will make my mind up IF i see him in a City shirt and NOT before..

Guest Ciderman10

So it looks as though were going to be signing Reading powerhouse Kalifa Cisse! now ive heard a mixed bag of opinions, some say hes brilliant, others say hes not. But what i find most interesting is the fact that every reading fan seems to rate him VERY highly as a centre back, more so than a Midfielder! so do you think this would be his likely positon for us? or do you think he will Mainly operate in a more central role? Either way ive seen him play a few times and ive always been impressed! (Centre Mid) he also scored a cracker against us a few years back and under coppell hes was 1 of readings star performers! so it goes without saying that the addition of Kalifa Cisse in my opinion would be a good 1!

You only have to look at the Bradley Orr thread to see how fans react when its rumoured a player is leaving.

Reading fans on there forum are just saying much the same about Cisse as a large amount of City fans are saying about Orr.

Me, i will make my mind up IF i see him in a City shirt and NOT before..

I will also make my mind up if & when he plays for us.... I just have a feeling about this one

But I take your point with regards bradley orr, its a very good one.

So it looks as though were going to be signing Reading powerhouse Kalifa Cisse! now ive heard a mixed bag of opinions, some say hes brilliant, others say hes not. But what i find most interesting is the fact that every reading fan seems to rate him VERY highly as a centre back, more so than a Midfielder! so do you think this would be his likely positon for us? or do you think he will Mainly operate in a more central role? Either way ive seen him play a few times and ive always been impressed! (Centre Mid) he also scored a cracker against us a few years back and under coppell hes was 1 of readings star performers! so it goes without saying that the addition of Kalifa Cisse in my opinion would be a good 1!

Steve Coppell obviously rates him highley, thats a good enough reason for us fans isnt it:yes:

What you say makes sense, It does look like SC wants to play with 2 holding players protecting the back 4 - he's already stated that our defending

was a problem (from watching all the videos) and he presumably meant as a team /system rathan than just a back 4 problem.

Cisse played alongside Harper in the Reading promotion team, with Hunt and Kebe(sp!) out wide. Both Cisse and Harper are hard working, closing down types.

The fact that SC has signed Cisse when we had Marv and Skuse, and that he signed Adomah when we had JCR, Haynes, and Ivan, suggests that the midfield

will comprise of 2 holding players and 2 wingers. Hartley has already shown he wants to go to Hearts, and I think Williams will move on as well. This system will also mean that there will be no place for LJ as the defensive side of his game is not his strength.

I expect a commanding centre back (Shittu ?? or similar type) and a big striker (Kitson ??or similar type ) to be the next to join.

CR

I'm pretty sure Cisse signed at the end of Reading's first season in the Prem. Sidwell and Harper was the midfield combination during the promotion season

For everyone saying "I'm not sure about this" I think you should just shhh for a second. So people are already questioning SC? Sounds about right to be honest. Some people just don't learn do they. More ofter than not our better players come from sources that said they were rubbish including Marvin and Basso. All the over hyped players (from all the city fans including myself) in recent history ie Briges, Stewart and Trundle!!! Well, the less said about them the better. Some players just don't fit within certain teams and styles and fit better with certain managers. Reading up on some of the comments Cisse played his best football under Coppell. Let's just wait and see what happens when this lad "actually" signs, eh. Coppell has managed him, Coppell has seen him train and we all know that Coppell likes players that want to be involved.

For everyone saying "I'm not sure about this" I think you should just shhh for a second. So people are already questioning SC? Sounds about right to be honest. Some people just don't learn do they. More ofter than not our better players come from sources that said they were rubbish including Marvin and Basso. All the over hyped players (from all the city fans including myself) in recent history ie Briges, Stewart and Trundle!!! Well, the less said about them the better. Some players just don't fit within certain teams and styles and fit better with certain managers. Reading up on some of the comments Cisse played his best football under Coppell. Let's just wait and see what happens when this lad "actually" signs, eh. Coppell has managed him, Coppell has seen him train and we all know that Coppell likes players that want to be involved.

Who is doubting Coppell?? All managers make mistakes - this could be one? time will tell of course.

But just because one does not rate this signing (at the moment, will reserve judgement until I see him play) does not mean they are doubting the manager

Playing a traditional 4 4 2 with two 'traditional' wingers is old hat these days...you soon get found out.

The midfield need to be adaptable, in going forward and defending. Also the wingers need to be able to defend and track back as well.

We got caught out last year, because our wide players didn't track back, and the opposition used the hole, left in front of our full backs, to their advantage time and time again.

Any team that is successfull has players that can both defend and attack. Our defenders last season, were dire at distributing and often misplaced passes.

In fact the only player that i can see that does both well, at this level, from last year is Skuse. He also has age on his side and can improve.Hartley on his day too, but now past his best.

Coppell's teams, whilst on paper, look 'traditional'...they are far from it. They usually have players that can adapt and play for want of a better word 'Total Football'.

Could work, he has played in the Premier League for Reading albeit not much.

On paper I guess he's a decent enough signing- only one way to find out thougn.

Playing a traditional 4 4 2 with two 'traditional' wingers is old hat these days...you soon get found out.

The midfield need to be adaptable, in going forward and defending. Also the wingers need to be able to defend and track back as well.

We got caught out last year, because our wide players didn't track back, and the opposition used the hole, left in front of our full backs, to their advantage time and time again.

Very much agree on this- 4-4-2, like 3-5-2- they are yesterday's formations. Adaptability is the aim of the game. Germany, Brazil, Spain, Holland- all played 4-2-3-1 or variants of.

Hopefully we will play 4-2-3-1 or a variant of this next season. Therefore if Cisse is indeed a holding midfielder and good at it, this move makes sense. Provided we don't play old school 4-4-2 that is.

Archived