IGNORED

Coppell To Sign Reading Star (merged)

iWurzel

I can't see it being anyone other than Cisse and I have had it confirmed by a good source that there have been talks between the two clubs regarding Cisse.

He is basically our sixth choice central midfielder behind Sigurdsson, Tabb, Howard, Karacan and Gunnarsson.

He is strong and has good stamina but seems to go missing in games quite alot. Definately a defensive midfielder who can also cover at centre back and still at a youngish age. He was signed in the Premier League so his wages will be quite high and as he isn't going to feature much for us it makes sense for us to shift him off the wage bill.

None of the other suggestions of this thread will be making the move to Ashton Gate in my opinion (although surprises can happen).........

I can't see it being anyone other than Cisse and I have had it confirmed by a good source that there have been talks between the two clubs regarding Cisse.

He is basically our sixth choice central midfielder behind Sigurdsson, Tabb, Howard, Karacan and Gunnarsson.

He is strong and has good stamina but seems to go missing in games quite alot. Definately a defensive midfielder who can also cover at centre back and still at a youngish age. He was signed in the Premier League so his wages will be quite high and as he isn't going to feature much for us it makes sense for us to shift him off the wage bill.

None of the other suggestions of this thread will be making the move to Ashton Gate in my opinion (although surprises can happen).........

Why is he so far down your pecking order?

Why is he so far down your pecking order?

Because we have better central midfielders than him for the formation that we play. McDermott doesn't like using totally defensive central midfielders so he prefers playing Tabb and Howard as the more defensive players in the middle with Sigurdsson playing just behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Cisse played his best under Coppell but has never really excelled and quickly found himself out of favour once Coppell left. He has only started 49 league matches in 3 seasons with the club and most of those were in Coppell's last season with us....

Because we have better central midfielders than him for the formation that we play. McDermott doesn't like using totally defensive central midfielders so he prefers playing Tabb and Howard as the more defensive players in the middle with Sigurdsson playing just behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Cisse played his best under Coppell but has never really excelled and quickly found himself out of favour once Coppell left. He has only started 49 league matches in 3 seasons with the club and most of those were in Coppell's last season with us....

Interesting. Thanks.

Sounds like he could renew his career back with Coppell then. So a good move for all parties.

Can't see a Reading player coming to us unless it's money & a player e.g. Williams/Johnson. On the other hand donny have enquired about andy keogh. Him and sharp reunited after they played with eachother at scunny. Donny are most deffinately the dark horses this year

Kalifa Cisse looks to be on the verge of being reunited with Steve Coppell at Bristol City in a £500,000 deal. The 26-year-old midfielder was in training with Reading at Hogwood Park this week, but now looks set to join Coppell at Ashton Gate pending a medical and agreeing personal terms. Coppell signed the Mali midfielder from Portuguese side Boavista for £1million in May 2007 and has failed to make much of an impact at Madejski Stadium.

Reading Evening Post

Why not give the new boss a chance before slating the players he may sign, his track record shows he knows what he's doing so at lease wait for the full transfer picture to unfold before having a dig.

Ha, like he's going to be given any sort of time from some of the idiots that follow City.

Cisse - surprised by this one, SC said the squad was unbalanced and was looking to add 2 or 3 players.

It appeared he was after a GK, left back, centre back, and striker.

Cisse is described by Reading fans as a strong defensive midfielder.

With Marv and Skuse both well equipped to play the holding role (as it's now known) we seem ok in that area - but on the creative side of central midfield we are a little short especially if Hartley returns to Hearts which now seems very likely, our other creative options are LJ (not really a creator, poor assist record) ) and Williams (never fit for long enough and never really looked like being a regular consistent Championship player).

So will SC play with 2 holding midfielders? Or does he see Skuse and Marv playing further forward?

I know it's heresy to question any decision by Sir Steve before a ball has even been kicked but it does seem to tick a box that we already had ticked.

CodeRed

Guess we will all just have to be patient and wait and see.

:disapointed2se:What sort of attitude is that for a poster on this forum to have?

Interestingly, as soon as any player is linked to City there's no end of posts all stating that player is too old / slow / untried etc and will be a waste of money. So far most posts appear to welcome any of SC's former players.

Does seem odd to bring in another defensive midfiled player, a poisition where other than maynard we already have arguably our two best players competing for in Elliot and Skuse??

Any chance Coppel is planning on a 4-2-3-1 formation used by the likes of Germany / Brazil, therefore needing defensive midfielders aplenty.

Cisse is better than anything we have

Are you sure? Reading fans dont rate him - he's a high earner...

I've got a bad feeling about this signing. I know ipswich fans did'nt rate haynes and millwall fans didnt rate Elliott - but both we're young.

He's fifth choice now at reading and most reading fans are glad he's going - not good signs.

Does seem odd to bring in another defensive midfiled player, a poisition where other than maynard we already have arguably our two best players competing for in Elliot and Skuse??

Any chance Coppel is planning on a 4-2-3-1 formation used by the likes of Germany / Brazil, therefore needing defensive midfielders aplenty.

No.

Probably 3-5-2 used by the likes of Gary Johnson :whistle2:

Are you sure? Reading fans dont rate him - he's a high earner...

I've got a bad feeling about this signing. I know ipswich fans did'nt rate haynes and millwall fans didnt rate Elliott - but both we're young.

He's fifth choice now at reading and most reading fans are glad he's going - not good signs.

2 things, 1 thank god it's not GJ attempting this signing and 2 who gives a crap what Reading fans think about him, SC has been given this job because of his track record and eye for talent, But as usual armchair Fabio Capello's are already casting aspersions and spreading doom and gloom and yet again without actually seeing the guy kick a ball.

and what makes matters worse is the way some fans find a way to defend their so called favourites in a squad that has been pants for the past 2 seasons.

2 things, 1 thank god it's not GJ attempting this signing and 2 who gives a crap what Reading fans think about him, SC has been given this job because of his track record and eye for talent, But as usual armchair Fabio Capello's are already casting aspersions and spreading doom and gloom and yet again without actually seeing the guy kick a ball.

and what makes matters worse is the way some fans find a way to defend their so called favourites in a squad that has been pants for the past 2 seasons.

Very well put.

I'm not writing him off at all - I just don't think the signs are good and I'm saying that I havent a good feeling about Cisse - I dont think thats doom & gloom. Have you liked every signing we've ever made? or have you occasionally thought "this one aint gonna work" ??

Archived