IGNORED

I Really Respect Cardiff Council...

spudski

Bristol's dockside rejuvination consisted of pricey flats/apartments and offices in the main. Total waste of a unique commodity IMO.

I remember once seeing an artists impression of a new arts, music and cultural centre being proposed for the harbour. It looked like a smaller Sydney Opera House on stilts jutting out into the docks. Alas it was just another failed pipedream.

Bristol is going backwards... the Dock area ( Lloyds ) is a complete shambles. No one goes their, it's like a ghost town and already starting to look worn out. Even Park St is looking a shambles now. It really is looking shabby these days. Going away for the best part of a year and then coming back with new eyes... I really noticed it.

What Sports and Concert facilities do we have of worth now compared to Cardiff?

to be fair...you cant really compare Bristol and Cariff councils and their performance / development of their city's. As mentioned, Cardiff being a capital city has money thrown at it not only be central government but also Europe.

You have to remember that historically, Bristol was the 2nd City and generated pretty much all of its own wealth. Cities like cardiff and the the large industrial cities of the midlands and north were and continue to be under pinned by London and even though we are no longer the 2nd city, we are still seen as a wealthy, self-sufficient city.

We have missed out massively over the years on central funding hence the continued monotonous private residential and office developments on every bit of spare land in central Bristol.

Cardiff get Cardiff Bay....we get a new foyer for the colston hall!

Nothing changes in this city, never understood why we ended up with a centre that is a complete mess, why we didn't use more of our assets to promote Bristol I'll never know, Concorde could have gone in the centre would have been more of a tourist puller than some trashy fountains that are off more than on.

Spend god knows how much on a out date too small concert hall foyer when this city has been crying out for a larger venue for decades.

We have for as long as I remember had a council that likes to look after its own first and the masses a distant second, you only have to look at bristols transport policy to see that, and now the prat in charge wants to charge us to enter the city, all well and good if there is a viable alternative.

Lots of areas in the City are suffering.

I'm baffled that Sports Bar building still sits there unused, was a decent hangout for a year then shut down and never used since.

I'd rather go drinking in bedminster then the centre to be honest, better atmoshpere

Nimbys... In some country's they would be jailed for their actions, yet we allow it to happen and arguably encourage it, a bit like how we are powerless to deport terrorist or control our borders

England is going down the plug hole and the rich toffs are laughing at you as it happens.

Ignoring the fact it's the wrong side of the bridge, I actually think Cardiff is a great city. The Millennium is superbly located for the rugby - right in the Centre opposite the castle, plenty of decent watering holes nearby and a real buzz on matchday. Our day out at Cardiff in the JPT (the same season as we played at Wembley in the Play-Off Final) was awesome and the whole buzz around the place before the game was far superior to the Wembley experience.

The Cardiff Bay area just gets better and better and this latest development looks awesome, as others have said compare and contrast to the Bristol Harbourside and you can see what a lost opportunity that has been.

I know Ferguson is quite a divisive figure but I really hope the Arena comes to fruition as Bristol as a city is crying out for a decent venue like that, and with a nice new stadium about to be built within 150yds of the city boundary very soon things might start to look up! With an Arena and the UWE Bristol Stadium in place, there's no need to do up AG as Bristol will already have 2 top notch venues as it is! -_-

Ignoring the fact it's the wrong side of the bridge, I actually think Cardiff is a great city. The Millennium is superbly located for the rugby - right in the Centre opposite the castle, plenty of decent watering holes nearby and a real buzz on matchday. Our day out at Cardiff in the JPT (the same season as we played at Wembley in the Play-Off Final) was awesome and the whole buzz around the place before the game was far superior to the Wembley experience.

The Cardiff Bay area just gets better and better and this latest development looks awesome, as others have said compare and contrast to the Bristol Harbourside and you can see what a lost opportunity that has been.

I know Ferguson is quite a divisive figure but I really hope the Arena comes to fruition as Bristol as a city is crying out for a decent venue like that, and with a nice new stadium about to be built within 150yds of the city boundary very soon things might start to look up! With an Arena and the UWE Bristol Stadium in place, there's no need to do up AG as Bristol will already have 2 top notch venues as it is! -_-

^ what he said, right up until the last bit.....!

Almost a sensible post. You had to go and spoil it with the last bit though! Spanner!

WTGR, if you are, as you appear to be, so anti City, what on earth are you doing on here, again?

Almost a sensible post. You had to go and spoil it with the last bit though! Spanner!

WTGR, if you are, as you appear to be, so anti City, what on earth are you doing on here, again?

They've always been more interested in us than their own mundane reality, I don't actually fault them for it anymore.

When I went to Cardiff for that pray-off final I was gobsmacked. I was a student there thirty years earlier and it was ten years behind us, when I went back it was ten years ahead. By all accounts the gap is growing.

Bristol is being strangled by the Toytown councils (just look at LA and AV). It started when Avon was gerrymandered to create three Tory councils and nailed down when Bristol wasn't expanded to its natural boundaries when Avon was abolished.

Basically, we're fokked, and it doesn't look like changing any day soon.

I was going to write along the same lines as Aizoon.

I am North Somerset born and bred and then lived in Bristol for many years before moving over the bridge for work.

Not so long ago Bristol was a proud city and Cardiff was very much a poor relation.

Cardiff is now a totally different place and it's not much to do with being a capital city or getting money thrown at it by the government or europe, that is largely a myth. It is to do with a forward thinking council and residents who are proud to live there and support it's development.

The changes were kick-started by the Millennium Stadium. It's almost laughable when you look at the Ashton Vale antics to think how easily this was done. Imagine the conversation -

We love The Arms Park and don't want to lose it but we could really do with something bigger.

Where you going to put that then?

There's a bit of land next door - we could put it there.

Not really big enough mate. We could build something great but the Empire swimming pool is in the way.

No problem - We'll knock the pool down.

People will go mad - where will they swim.

No problem - we'll build a new pool down in the Bay. There's room for loads of stuff down there!

Boom! Millennium Stadium built - Iconic design, recognised the world over and brilliant for tourism being right in the centre and able to host huge events.

Job done - no complaints.

New pool duly built in the new sports village.

Cardiff City fancy something a bit more suave than the outdated Ninian Park.

Let's build a new stadium across the road!

Can't do that mate, the athletics stadium would restrict the space.

No problem - we'll knock the athletics stadium down and build a brand new one - nicer than the old one.

Boom!

New athletics stadium appears, old one demolished and new football stadium up in no time.

In the blink of an eye Ninian is gone and full of new houses.

That's a lot of sports sorted then - What about the cricket?

That's in Sophia Gardens - it's basically a public space. You can't mess with that.

Don't worry about that! We'll whack a proper stadium in there.

Boom! There you go - International cricket ground for Test Matches . More visitors spending money in the city.

Blimey! We'll need more shops!

Guess what? But the ice rink will have to go. No problem though - did we mention the Sports Village. Let's have a state of the art rink and a snowdome for good measure .......

And so it goes on. The council push it through and the people don't complain - just reap the benefits and become ever more proud of the city.

Meanwhile, I tune in to West TV and all I see is the People's popular Front of Stokes croft, or whatever they are called, squatters wrecking Georgian houses, protests on College Green, Nimby idiots in Ashton Vale and Red Trousers alienating motorists.

The whole situation has been turned on it's head by what appears to be small groups of militants who just don't seem to have crossed the bridge.

A few years ago Cambridge United sold their Abbey Stadium and planned to move to a new 8,000 seat stadium in a new development at Trumpington (just outside C'bridge).

The Council has now reversed an earlier decision and announced the proposed community stadium is only desirable and not a necessity. "It will not benefit people living in the area, only visiting sports enthusiasts" said the spokeslady. "I cannot be responsible for decisions made before I took office".

Local radio has suggested "the chattering classes" simply don't want football in a city such as Cambridge.

massive missed oppurtunity when they re developed the harbour side with dull unaffordable flats that resemble something out of benidorm.

So how about they redeem themselves and place concorde in a glass dome on top of the large bonded warehouse on the cumberland basin, along with the bridge what an entrance to a city BEAT THAT CARDIFF

I am North Somerset born and bred and then lived in Bristol for many years before moving over the bridge for work.

Not so long ago Bristol was a proud city and Cardiff was very much a poor relation.

Cardiff is now a totally different place and it's not much to do with being a capital city or getting money thrown at it by the government or europe, that is largely a myth. It is to do with a forward thinking council and residents who are proud to live there and support it's development.

The changes were kick-started by the Millennium Stadium. It's almost laughable when you look at the Ashton Vale antics to think how easily this was done. Imagine the conversation -

We love The Arms Park and don't want to lose it but we could really do with something bigger.

Not really big enough mate. We could build something great but the Empire swimming pool is in the way.

No problem - we'll build a new pool down in the Bay. There's room for loads of stuff down there!

Boom! Millennium Stadium built - Iconic design, recognised the world over and brilliant for tourism being right in the centre and able to host huge events.

No problem - we'll knock the athletics stadium down and build a brand new one - nicer than the old one.

Boom!

New athletics stadium appears, old one demolished and new football stadium up in no time.

That's in Sophia Gardens - it's basically a public space. You can't mess with that.

Boom! There you go - International cricket ground for Test Matches . More visitors spending money in the city.

Guess what? But the ice rink will have to go. No problem though - did we mention the Sports Village. Let's have a state of the art rink and a snowdome for good measure .......

And so it goes on. The council push it through and the people don't complain - just reap the benefits and become ever more proud of the city.

Meanwhile, I tune in to West TV and all I see is the People's popular Front of Stokes croft, or whatever they are called, squatters wrecking Georgian houses, protests on College Green, Nimby idiots in Ashton Vale and Red Trousers alienating motorists.

The whole situation has been turned on it's head by what appears to be small groups of militants who just don't seem to have crossed the bridge.

Fantastic post and exactly how i see it.

to be fair...you cant really compare Bristol and Cariff councils and their performance / development of their city's. As mentioned, Cardiff being a capital city has money thrown at it not only be central government but also Europe.

You have to remember that historically, Bristol was the 2nd City and generated pretty much all of its own wealth. Cities like cardiff and the the large industrial cities of the midlands and north were and continue to be under pinned by London and even though we are no longer the 2nd city, we are still seen as a wealthy, self-sufficient city.

We have missed out massively over the years on central funding hence the continued monotonous private residential and office developments on every bit of spare land in central Bristol.

Cardiff get Cardiff Bay....we get a new foyer for the colston hall!

Very fair points. A lot of Cardiff Bay developments have been part funded by the Welsh Assembly - it really isn't a level playing field. The Millenium Stadium was half lottery funded and Cardiff now benefits immensely from being the capital city of Wales.

Before devolution being Welsh capital had relatively little effect, but now it's the seat of the devolved national government the results are clear to see. Cardiff Bay vs harbourside comparisons are difficult - harbourside is a relatively compact city centre site, whereas Cardiff Bay is a huge out of centre area which has benefitted from a lot of public money.

Bristol is still my favourite city but it would be nice if we had a bit of the swagger and self-confidence that Cardiff has gained.

I'm not anti-City. Rivalry is good / healthy. Honestly? I'd genuinely love it if we were both thriving in the Championship or beyond and had annual derbies like we used to. But that's some way off.

I just come on here and, where I can, post alternative views to all those who bash the Rovers at every opportunity and try to illustrate the hypocrisy / double standards and redress the balance of some of your fans views.

So for every 'Rovers fans are thick - they can't spell 'proud' (prowed)', I'll point out a City fan who also can't spell or who thinks £5 x 35 = £70.

For every 'Rovers are thieving scum with no morals' for obtaining the Mem through legitimate means, I'll point out all the local businesses that never got paid in 1982.

For every 'tin pot soulless bowl' I'll point out the flaws in the AG rebuild or the positives in the UWE. etc etc

Just to redress the balance a little, that's all. All just banter. And of course I might stir a little in the process but you won't find me posting the vitriol back to you lot that I get from many posters on here. I try to avoid that.

Boom!

Wishdid i writted thart, well ****in said that man

Cardiff has been transformed over the last 15 years, mainly due to being a capital and getting devolution. But I still prefer Bristol. Bristol's advantage over Cardiff is history and money. Cardiff was just a village until the Victorian era, whereas Bristol's been one of the most important cities in England since medieval times. That's why Bristol has 17th century buildings in the Old City and Georgian suburbs like Clifton. Cardiff's just Victorian. It's the history that gives Bristol its special character, whereas Cardiff doesn't really feel very different to Leeds or Wolverhampton. Also, there's never been any serious money in Cardiff. The people who made a mint out of coal etc. mainly spent their money elsewhere. But north-west Bristol is soaked in money, and that's reflected in the shops, restaurants, etc. that you have in the city. The downside of that is that it comes with a bit of snobbery, but hey.

Cardiff is way ahead in sport at the moment, but as a place to live I'd choose Bristol every time.

I think a big problem is we have a council where no party has overall control and has been the case for 10 or so years

100% correct, opposition should hold people to account but in bristol, because the cycle of opposition is constantly changing (and needed to get changes through), everything gets blocked as the opposition are scared of the credit it will give the slim majority

Very fair points. A lot of Cardiff Bay developments have been part funded by the Welsh Assembly - it really isn't a level playing field. The Millenium Stadium was half lottery funded and Cardiff now benefits immensely from being the capital city of Wales.

Before devolution being Welsh capital had relatively little effect, but now it's the seat of the devolved national government the results are clear to see. Cardiff Bay vs harbourside comparisons are difficult - harbourside is a relatively compact city centre site, whereas Cardiff Bay is a huge out of centre area which has benefitted from a lot of public money.

Bristol is still my favourite city but it would be nice if we had a bit of the swagger and self-confidence that Cardiff has gained.

Despite some on here wanting to believe otherwise this is the truth of the matter.

Since Labour came to power in '97 (and continuing under this coalition government) Cardiff has received absolutely shedloads of government money,for instance every time there is a civil service strike the union always makes the point that there are more civil servants per head of population in Wales than anywhere else in the UK, even the economic basket case that is Northern Ireland.

Cardiff is basically being subsidised to an obscenely huge level with a massive number of public sector jobs by our taxes but don't worry they get their tuition fees reduced and free prescriptions from our taxes, too.

It really isn't all that difficult to make your city look a lot better when you are being given something like six times as much money as Bristol gets from the state, is it?

Archived