IGNORED

Robin Badge Petition (Merged)

WraxallRed

ROBIN VS THE CREST  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think all the designs are super and applaud and congratulate the OP for his skill and commitment.

However, personally, I would never want to see the back of the coat of arms. It is the emblem of the City of Bristol and so, for my money, although these designs are brilliant, I would never want us to lose the coat of arms (we ARE Bristol City).

Great work though, nonetheless.

This question has been asked so many times on here, when this topic has cropped up:

Can someone PLEASE explain what the association is of a cute little birdie with Bristol City Football Club? (And please don't say "red", cos a postbox, telephone kiosk and my girlfriend's knickers are matching, too!)

No justification at all for having a robin on the shirt, IMO.

I see no justification with association of the crest when i see the gas and everyone using it

creste.jpg

bristolrovers9qs.jpg

My eyes, it burns, it burns :cool2:

Bristol City is a west country club.

People travel the four corners of the west country (and some beyond) to the South Bristol church which is Ashton gate

and not connecting with Bristol of eastville, horefield (pirate territory) where the Bristol badge is connected as much as the whole of Bristol? We need our own ID and emblem, BRISTOL CITY PRIDE OFTHE WEST

Football = what we do

Robin = westcountry & cider (involving wassail and we sing enough cider songs along with a cider sponsor)

Clifton bridge = south Bristol

Together = the perfect badge

Robin = westcountry & cider connection wassail

It was also believed, especially in the West Country, that the spirits of the trees were incarnated in robins and other small birds.

Young lads representing these birds climbed the apple trees and cried 'Tit-tit, I want more to eat.' A piece of cake,

cheese or bread was either handed up to him or dipped in cider and placed in the forks of the tree branches 'for the robins'.

There are three forms of Christmas/New Year celebration involving wassail, a beverage originally made of mulled ale, curdled cream, roasted apples, nuts, eggs and spices.

The blowing of horns heralds the Wassailing of the Apple Trees celebration, as a beverage, usually cider,

is poured on the roots of the finest tree and a wassail cake placed in the branches as an offering to the tree spirits and elementals who ensure fruitful harvest. Then the beating of kettles and firing of guns loaded with powder are used to drive away the witches and ghosts believed to reside in the crown of the apple tree. This is followed by a wassailing song sung to the tree (or the hive in the tree, in the case of bees!) as in --

Wassail, wassail all round the town;

The zider-cup's white and the zider's brown;

Our zider is made vrom good apple trees,

And now my vine vellows we'll drink if you please.

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/christmas/wassail.shtml

The robin was first used in 1949 on the shirts but it was a very different design

I feel we should have our oven badge and ID to Bristol city not just Bristol as a whole ie: the gas, glous cricket, the council etc.

The rovers using the pirate is a part of Bristols history (read up on it) but in itself represents them alone and a few schools call themselfs Bristol ie: Bristol grammar school, but have their own emblem, badge and rovers dumped the crest years ago for this reason that they are Bristol but not South Bristol.

And that is the deep root point here as they have their own badge/emblem identity which represents them in side their club as opposed to a Bristol crest used by every tom, dick and harry, the Badge of Bristol, which is Bristol as a whole, does not represent them by geography as of Ashton or Bedminster which is where Bristol city fc represent, ok you may not feel it is a robin to your taste but we should go the way the gas or pirates have gone and have our own Badge and identity but still be Bristol city.

Do the club have a motto? most traditional organisations do.

It is interesting the nickname, i like the robins and the robin badge, i like scrumpy our mascot and i didn't get the point when city had a cat? however what would fans consider being called? just city? i don't think this is a modern americanisation of clubs as nicknames have been around for a very, very long time in football but i read a few posts saying i don't like the robins without very little alternative? the robin was a nickname given to us years back by the press and locals who for the basic reason we play in red '''robin red breast'''....

Ah! We were called the Bristol babe i hear some say!! the Bristol babe thing, is that Bedminster fc or Bristol south end? that was about on the clubs merger moving in to the football league as we were new, reading some city history books it was quoted the club and players didn't like it.

Have a read up, the robin has been around in some form and used for a long time (even if no badge appeared on the shirts)

looking at a picture in 1957- 58 a chap looking like dads army with a robin on the end of a stick pointing it at the rovers mascot ''a pirate''.

We are the robins everyone else does not matter. Now the supporters trust to other fan groups are proud to use the robin rather than a crest, we have a robin mascot not a unicorn or a ship, the press still refer to us as ''the robins''.

The crest (bristol coat of arms) was a re-brand and meger with in itself back in the day with ship and castle (coat of arms) and crest supporters (unicorns) putting the two together so it's not as traditional as people like to make out.

The arms are based on the early seals of Bristol, from which the ship and castle theme (signifying a strongly fortified harbour) developed (part of that is slavery). The shield was in use from about the 14th century, and to this was added in 1569 supporters (the two unicorns) and the crest (two arms rising from the clouds holding scales and a serpent). The significance of these various items is recorded in the City Audit Books of this time:- the Unicorns will only do homage to men of virtue; the arms in the crest signify that good government depends on wisdom (the serpent) and justice (the scales) and that these are divine gifts from above.

http://www.ngw.nl/in...r/b/bristol.htm

http://brisray.com/bristol/bsal1.htm

In the 1949-50 season the first robin badge was on the shirts of Bristol city, so the year 1949 the supporters club was formed the supporters club would have been around a robin badge. The picture shows this actual badge design of that time

564030_536013803091035_1035307441_n.jpg

Bristol city's Alec Eisentrager in 1949 wearing the first ever version of the robin badge on theshirts.

302192_541277859231296_1905958369_n.jpg

The Robin, mascott and crowd announcer is nothing new and nothing to do with America,

Bristol city vs Bristol rovers 1957/58 FA cup tie, in this picture the city mascot was known as ''Ashton Alf''

cityvrovers1957.jpg

Picture below is Mr Jenkins contemporary audience, note the very early version of a megaphone and

the crowd holding up a banner ''up the robins'' this being 1935 the fans showing interest in the robin

cityv1935.jpg

205738_10151347641002508_1806395977_n.jp

What a stupid comment

What's an Owl got in common with Sheffheld or Oldham?

Need i go on?

Just for the nerds out there, Sheff Weds are in a apart of Sheffield called Owlerton and that was their original name.

I know I am missing Keeper's Ball's point by a mile (and I sincerely apologise for that :laughcont: ) but when you know something you just gotta share :smartass:

Super post Cider Head. Argued against my earlier one but really interesting to read. Must've taken you ages. Thanks for posting, pretty sure I didn't know any of that. Nice one

Done it so many times it's on cut 'n' paste

The robin has been there along with Bristol city in some shape or form for many, many years, Even if not on the shirts it was used as a merchandise selling point:

A robin badge could well be re-designed in some form but a return would be nice and i think now those wanting the robin back have to nail one design and campaign for it as i can see there are many fan designs out there in some shape or form, so yes bring back the robin? but which design? i still like Bristol city pride of the west and having our own ID

The oldest robin pin badge or name for citys robin was ''robbie robin''

robbie1.jpg

BA44.jpg

BA3.jpg

a1rossey.jpg

r14.jpg

r11.png

r13.jpg

r6.jpg

r10.jpg

r5.jpg

r4.jpg

208211_1012847931023_8613_n.jpg

943369_154160354766422_489621013_n.jpg525719_153984771450647_975731001_n.jpg

254623_541080529251029_2146410921_n.jpg

Nice one, seems like this idea is evolving nicely. I did make one similar myself but took a while longer using paint, and the picture is becoming a bit blurry, it looks brilliant done professionally. What did you think of the tail on my designs? Do you think it will look better on this one?

I hope the club will take this onboard and take it forward. There is a lot of fans who maybe do not use the forum, so they do not get to see these ideas. It would be interesting to know out of all the fans, as in the 12,000 plus we seem to have, what the poll result would be on bringing the robin back.

Is there anything being planned for the future?

Nice one, seems like this idea is evolving nicely. I did make one similar myself but took a while longer using paint, and the picture is becoming a bit blurry, it looks brilliant done professionally. What did you think of the tail on my designs? Do you think it will look better on this one?

I hope the club will take this onboard and take it forward. There is a lot of fans who maybe do not use the forum, so they do not get to see these ideas. It would be interesting to know out of all the fans, as in the 12,000 plus we seem to have, what the poll result would be on bringing the robin back.

Is there anything being planned for the future?

Tail is not too bad, it works various ways.

There is a chap attending the fans parliament meeting to give a talk on the robin subject and see if can be added to the fans survey which the Supporters club and trust are assembling with the club about various issues and this hopefully should give it a wider audience.

The surfer flag paper vote which was in the dolman bar gave results of people voting for a robin logo which came 1st and the murray logo came 2nd

388754_10151352886142508_1483472462_n.jp

Im guessing everreddy has forgotten we are known as THE ROBINS

.... and so are dozens of other clubs - including our neighbours Swindon and Cheltenham. Like wot I sed: nothing at all "Bristolian" or even West Country about a robin! Shows a total lack of imagination, IMO. Much more sense to put the Clifton Bridge, or the SS Great Britain on the shirt... can't see anything wrong with a simplified city crest, meself...

.... and so are dozens of other clubs - including our neighbours Swindon and Cheltenham. Like wot I sed: nothing at all "Bristolian" or even West Country about a robin! Shows a total lack of imagination, IMO. Much more sense to put the Clifton Bridge, or the SS Great Britain on the shirt... can't see anything wrong with a simplified city crest, meself...

You're a bit too late with your arguement against the Robin, maybe if you were around in the 1930s...

I see no justification with association of the crest when i see the gas and everyone using it

bristolrovers9qs.jpg

My eyes, it burns, it burns :cool2:

Bristol City is a west country club.

People travel the four corners of the west country (and some beyond) to the South Bristol church which is Ashton gate

and not connecting with Bristol of eastville, horefield (pirate territory) where the Bristol badge is connected as much as the whole of Bristol? We need our own ID and emblem, BRISTOL CITY PRIDE OFTHE WEST

Football = what we do

Robin = westcountry & cider (involving wassail and we sing enough cider songs along with a cider sponsor)

Clifton bridge = south Bristol

Together = the perfect badge

Robin = westcountry & cider connection wassail

It was also believed, especially in the West Country, that the spirits of the trees were incarnated in robins and other small birds.

Young lads representing these birds climbed the apple trees and cried 'Tit-tit, I want more to eat.' A piece of cake,

cheese or bread was either handed up to him or dipped in cider and placed in the forks of the tree branches 'for the robins'.

There are three forms of Christmas/New Year celebration involving wassail, a beverage originally made of mulled ale, curdled cream, roasted apples, nuts, eggs and spices.

The blowing of horns heralds the Wassailing of the Apple Trees celebration, as a beverage, usually cider,

is poured on the roots of the finest tree and a wassail cake placed in the branches as an offering to the tree spirits and elementals who ensure fruitful harvest. Then the beating of kettles and firing of guns loaded with powder are used to drive away the witches and ghosts believed to reside in the crown of the apple tree. This is followed by a wassailing song sung to the tree (or the hive in the tree, in the case of bees!) as in --

Wassail, wassail all round the town;

The zider-cup's white and the zider's brown;

Our zider is made vrom good apple trees,

And now my vine vellows we'll drink if you please.

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/christmas/wassail.shtml

The robin was first used in 1949 on the shirts but it was a very different design

I feel we should have our oven badge and ID to Bristol city not just Bristol as a whole ie: the gas, glous cricket, the council etc.

The rovers using the pirate is a part of Bristols history (read up on it) but in itself represents them alone and a few schools call themselfs Bristol ie: Bristol grammar school, but have their own emblem, badge and rovers dumped the crest years ago for this reason that they are Bristol but not South Bristol.

And that is the deep root point here as they have their own badge/emblem identity which represents them in side their club as opposed to a Bristol crest used by every tom, dick and harry, the Badge of Bristol, which is Bristol as a whole, does not represent them by geography as of Ashton or Bedminster which is where Bristol city fc represent, ok you may not feel it is a robin to your taste but we should go the way the gas or pirates have gone and have our own Badge and identity but still be Bristol city.

Do the club have a motto? most traditional organisations do.

It is interesting the nickname, i like the robins and the robin badge, i like scrumpy our mascot and i didn't get the point when city had a cat? however what would fans consider being called? just city? i don't think this is a modern americanisation of clubs as nicknames have been around for a very, very long time in football but i read a few posts saying i don't like the robins without very little alternative? the robin was a nickname given to us years back by the press and locals who for the basic reason we play in red '''robin red breast'''....

Ah! We were called the Bristol babe i hear some say!! the Bristol babe thing, is that Bedminster fc or Bristol south end? that was about on the clubs merger moving in to the football league as we were new, reading some city history books it was quoted the club and players didn't like it.

Have a read up, the robin has been around in some form and used for a long time (even if no badge appeared on the shirts)

looking at a picture in 1957- 58 a chap looking like dads army with a robin on the end of a stick pointing it at the rovers mascot ''a pirate''.

We are the robins everyone else does not matter. Now the supporters trust to other fan groups are proud to use the robin rather than a crest, we have a robin mascot not a unicorn or a ship, the press still refer to us as ''the robins''.

The crest (bristol coat of arms) was a re-brand and meger with in itself back in the day with ship and castle (coat of arms) and crest supporters (unicorns) putting the two together so it's not as traditional as people like to make out.

The arms are based on the early seals of Bristol, from which the ship and castle theme (signifying a strongly fortified harbour) developed (part of that is slavery). The shield was in use from about the 14th century, and to this was added in 1569 supporters (the two unicorns) and the crest (two arms rising from the clouds holding scales and a serpent). The significance of these various items is recorded in the City Audit Books of this time:- the Unicorns will only do homage to men of virtue; the arms in the crest signify that good government depends on wisdom (the serpent) and justice (the scales) and that these are divine gifts from above.

http://www.ngw.nl/in...r/b/bristol.htm

http://brisray.com/bristol/bsal1.htm

In the 1949-50 season the first robin badge was on the shirts of Bristol city, so the year 1949 the supporters club was formed the supporters club would have been around a robin badge. The picture shows this actual badge design of that time

564030_536013803091035_1035307441_n.jpg

Bristol city's Alec Eisentrager in 1949 wearing the first ever version of the robin badge on theshirts.

302192_541277859231296_1905958369_n.jpg

The Robin, mascott and crowd announcer is nothing new and nothing to do with America,

Bristol city vs Bristol rovers 1957/58 FA cup tie, in this picture the city mascot was known as ''Ashton Alf''

cityvrovers1957.jpg

Picture below is Mr Jenkins contemporary audience, note the very early version of a megaphone and

the crowd holding up a banner ''up the robins'' this being 1935 the fans showing interest in the robin

cityv1935.jpg

205738_10151347641002508_1806395977_n.jp

...still don't agree with you, but admire your research!

i don't understand your stance.

Are we not The Robins?

Please go back and read my original post on this thread. I think fans of Swindon, Charlton, Cheltenham - and dozens of other clubs - might have something to say on the matter!

Please go back and read my original post on this thread. I think fans of Swindon, Charlton, Cheltenham - and dozens of other clubs - might have something to say on the matter!

Sorry but they make no difference to me.

Our nickname IS the Robins.

Next you'll be saying we shouldn't play in red like those teams you mentioned

You're right! Also since we're at it, maybe we should have a think about the name "City" - Manchester, York and Birmingham have got that one already, mind, Bristol Rovers have got the name Bristol too...

Archived