IGNORED

Robin Badge Petition (Merged)

WraxallRed

ROBIN VS THE CREST  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With 60% in favour of some inclusion of the robin I hope the club are listening to what the supporters want -Our present badge is so non descript people have to look closely to see what club we are -that is never good marketing - you don't have that problem with the likes of wolves forest or charlton. The suspension bridge and a robin would be much more distinctive for us.

this is pure nonsense.

Robin introduced in the 70's. it has nothing to do with the clubs identity just some washed up old fans who are too into nostalgia. its their identity not the club's.

If we were to introduce a new badge today fans would scream about lack of tradition, why wasnt it the same back then?

the older generation might have been quick to ditch tradition for a silly gimmick, my younger generation will not.

100% This.

I get why people want to hold on to nostalgia but in reality, the robin is not good at all. It looks cheap, not really marketable and old. As a club, the fans need to really move on from this idea of how great the robin is (And it is 99% older fans who say it)

Thankfully, I can't see the club doing this - It is trying to get new fans with a modern looking badge which has tradition. Not a drawing of a robin which looks like someone in school designed it.

. Not a drawing of a robin which looks like someone in school designed it.

The current crest is a bit like that to be fair but I always enjoy what other teams fans think of our current badge

Ah! that be the unicorn / my little pony on the crest that has mystic powers of softness and girlie girlie

how-to-draw-a-scene-pony,-my-little-pony

540px-Bristol_City_FC.svg.png

To quote fans on football forums::

''Unicorns my arse.....they look like weird horses with dildos stuck on their heads!''

''Bristol City's one looks like it was knocked up on MS Paint. Those "unicorns" don't half look sh**e.''

http://www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php/275382-Which-club-has-the-worst-crest/page2

Robin for me any day ;)

100% This.

I get why people want to hold on to nostalgia but in reality, the robin is not good at all. It looks cheap, not really marketable and old. As a club, the fans need to really move on from this idea of how great the robin is (And it is 99% older fans who say it)

Thankfully, I can't see the club doing this - It is trying to get new fans with a modern looking badge which has tradition. Not a drawing of a robin which looks like someone in school designed it.

How do you know it is 99% ?

What is more marketable to a young fan a rugger badge and Ponies with dildoes on their heads or street style Ernie? Ernie, Scrumpies or a crest, which is the most interesting to a child?

Simplicity in design is marketable. Some of the world's most well known iconic logos are just rudimentary lines and a few colours ... Children could draw them.

The current crest is a bit like that to be fair but I always enjoy what other teams fans think of our current badge

Ah! that be the unicorn / my little pony on the crest that has mystic powers of softness and girlie girlie

To quote fans on football forums::

''Unicorns my arse.....they look like weird horses with dildos stuck on their heads!''

''Bristol City's one looks like it was knocked up on MS Paint. Those "unicorns" don't half look sh**e.''

http://www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php/275382-Which-club-has-the-worst-crest/page2

Robin for me any day ;)

haha, I am not saying the current one is amazing by any means but can you imagine the comments people would say if we had a robin again? Would be so cringeworthy IMO of course.

How do you know it is 99% ?

What is more marketable to a young fan a rugger badge and Ponies with dildoes on their heads or street style Ernie? Ernie, Scrumpies or a crest, which is the most interesting to a child?

Simplicity in design is marketable. Some of the world's most well known iconic logos are just rudimentary lines and a few colours ... Children could draw them.

The Street Style Ernie is bloody frightening to children to be fair, although it is pretty cool, it is nothing I would want on clothing etc.

People have to bear in mind though that as others have said, the Robin badge come out during the 70's correct? During a period that many remember fondly. If it was a pink cat, everyone would still say how amazing it is because of the era.

It is interesting though what badges which have mascots on come out like - Look at Rovers for example. Looks ******* stupid and has nothing to do with Bristol - Least the coat of arms is Bristol at the end of the day.

haha, I am not saying the current one is amazing by any means but can you imagine the comments people would say if we had a robin again? Would be so cringeworthy IMO of course.

Tiz all about opinions ;)

I do think we need our own ID as a badge seeing the crest is used very much around Bristol with other organisations

including Gloucester cricket club :blink:

Our fan base is much broader than just Bristol and say fans from Weston, Frome, Radstock or Taunton (to name but a few) may not have much affinity with the ''Bristol Crest'' which our rivals have used in the past and it was probably why The Gas dropped the crest just to claim their own ID badge, yes Bristol City play in Bristol but we are very much a west country club to and I feel we need our own ID

The current crest was merged years ago with the Bristol badge, crest the unicorns and that funny snake thing and the badge the ship and castle

The Street Style Ernie is bloody frightening to children to be fair, although it is pretty cool, it is nothing I would want on clothing etc.

People have to bear in mind though that as others have said, the Robin badge come out during the 70's correct? During a period that many remember fondly. If it was a pink cat, everyone would still say how amazing it is because of the era.

It is interesting though what badges which have mascots on come out like - Look at Rovers for example. Looks ******* stupid and has nothing to do with Bristol - Least the coat of arms is Bristol at the end of the day.

No the street style Angryus Rubecula was sold to kids as badges, stickers and t shirts. Kids love it. Robins are marketable.

What is interesting the supporters club and trust conducted a paper poll along with the online poll for the surfer flag designs, the 2 designs that came out on top one bared the Robin badge, Bristol city pride of the west which came 1st and 2nd was the Scott Murray design. The paper poll was conducted in the dolman exhibition hall by members of the supporters trust and designs that contained the crest were very much down on votes, Never mind Crest vs The Robin, The Scott Murray design beat anything with the crest on hands down

A wide range of fans were asked to design a surfer flag and send them in for a vote, 12 designs made the short list for voting

and the top 2 vote winners would be made in to flags

http://www.bristolcitysurferflags.co.uk/designs.html

What is interesting the supporters club and trust conducted a paper poll along with the online poll for the surfer flag designs, the 2 designs that came out on top one bared the Robin badge, Bristol city pride of the west which came 1st and 2nd was the Scott Murray design. The paper poll was conducted in the dolman exhibition hall by members of the supporters trust and designs that contained the crest were very much down on votes, Never mind Crest vs The Robin, The Scott Murray design beat anything with the crest on hands down.

A wide range of fans were asked to design a surfer flag and send them in for a vote, 12 designs made the short list for voting

and the top 2 vote winners would be made in to flags

http://www.bristolcitysurferflags.co.uk/designs.html

That is different though - Even I would vote for the robin over the crest as it would be boring to have a crest going around the ground on a surfer flag. A proper poll at AG would be more beneficial then a online poll where only a fraction of the fans vote for it when it comes to a badge.

That is different though - Even I would vote for the robin over the crest as it would be boring to have a crest going around the ground on a surfer flag. A proper poll at AG would be more beneficial then a online poll where only a fraction of the fans vote for it when it comes to a badge.

That's a point why I don't like the crest and others have said it's not marketable ''it's boring'' kids find it uninteresting,

so why have the dam thing on our shirts and merchandise?? it just doesn't do it for me and I've not purchased

anything in the club shop that has the ponies on it for years now

It does asks a question that fans would rather vote to surf under a player design rather than their official club badge??.

It does asks a question that fans would rather vote to surf under a player design rather than their official club badge??.

I think they probably would to be honest - It wouldn't surprise me in a few years if we ended up with a Carey one for example rather then a logo/badge - I don't think that is a bad thing mind - It is certainly different to pay tribute to long serving players who the fans know well compared to badges/logos.

As you already said, it really is all down to opinions - Hopefully there would be a middle ground which everyone would agree on (Maybe a small robin on the back instead of a Blackthorn advertisement maybe?)

No, not quite. A Robin has been included in the badge, on and off, since just after WWII. We've been known as the Robins for a lot longer than that, so it does have quite a bit of heritage.

I don't recall a big campaign to get the crest re-instated back in the 90s, I think the club just went ahead and did it. I can't imagine many outside of Bristol recognise the crest as being us. I wonder how many Bristolians if you stopped them in the street, would even recognise it?

We are Bristol city not just Bristol. How do you know the pirate is not linked to black beard?What has a devil have to do with Manchester?

Way way out fella. Sometimes go with my mates family and mine four kids under ten all love the Erine thing with its badges and stickers. Seen pictures of it painted in houses for kids. Crest is cold and lifeless and attached to the other lot as well.

So if the arguement about changing is based on the supposed marketability of the club then it is in actual fact about the opposite of tradtion...

if we were to change to the robin for marketing reasons then that makes us no better than the ladyboys cardiff city dragons.

So if the arguement about changing is based on the supposed marketability of the club then it is in actual fact about the opposite of tradtion...

if we were to change to the robin for marketing reasons then that makes us no better than the ladyboys cardiff city dragons.

It isn't primarily about marketing opportunities. If you look back through the thread there's plenty of tradition associated with the robin. It's not a 1970s invention, it goes way back before then.

It's an added benefit if you like, that the robin does provide better marketing potential. Finally, no, it's nothing like the Cardiff City sell out, we're the Robins, always have been and always will be.

There isn't an arguement of tradition v marketing

Thing is the robin is part of our tradition & is more marketable than the crest.

Bringing the robin back has no similarities with what's happend at Cardiff. If any thing it could be argued it's the oppisit of what's happend over there.

Bit lost about what you are on about there. The Robin is an authentic part of the club's tradition and history. Fans very clear still like it. There is a mural one side of the ground featuring a fans version. blokes selling badges in pubs has gone on for decades. Christ mate if nobody wanted to buy it that's a big mark against anything crest or robin.

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

I don't recall at any time the radio, tv or press calling us ''the unicorns'' or ''the ship and castles'' I do however remember being called by many forms of the media as ''THE ROBINS'' and the last time I looked we had a robin mascot entertaining the kids at pitch side and not a yellow my little pony or a chap dressed as a castle or even as a ship, it does not match up to what we have been called for years and what many fan groups use as a logo

Cardiff have gone from Blue birds & Blue birds badge, (blue kit) to Red Dragons & Badge, (red kit) not the same strategy of change for BCFC :facepalm:

Archived