IGNORED

Robin Badge Petition (Merged)

WraxallRed

ROBIN VS THE CREST  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mike Fear

part of the history of the club

Dan Thomas

Because its what the city was, we want it back

Liam Murphy

Bring back the Robin!

Mark Slavin

It's part of our history and we are the Robins

Mark Peel

The Robin coupled with OUR beloved bridge have nothing to do with anyone else and will forever be synonymous with Bristol City FC, ask a kid to draw the City badge and it is likely to be an unidentifiyable scrawl, I was drawing the City badge of the Robin and bridge on anything I could find from 7yrs old and now, at 42 still have it engraved on my body and in my heart as do many others! Bring our Robin back! CTID!

James Evans

This was the badge when i first started Supporting Bristol City and i used to Draw it as a boy

ROY PHILLIPS

All supporters groups (including the supporters trust & club) bare a robin in some form, the club has the nick name the robins and has a mascott of a robin . Use the Bristol crest - Robin & Suspension Bridge. This IS the personal identity of BRISTOL CITY FC, I feel it's time to.... Bring back the Robin!

Janet Brown

We are The Robins, so put on the shirts and anywhere else possible

Tim Baker

Stop the dilution of Bristol City's identity

Chris Rose

The Robin is a part of our clubs identity.

mike staddon

tradition

Richard Tuffney

It is the badge we wore when I first started going to city.

Simon Bruford

History, pride and passion!

Jim Walton

Part of the clubs history from the great days of the First Division.

Iain Hepworth

The current crest is not an individual or independent bristol city badge. Let the council and rugby club have it. We want our robin back!

Martin Cottle

The badge says it all we are the Robins who plays football in South Bristol, the Suspension bridge is known all around the world and I love it

Paul Stevens

Badge I supported in 1976

John Paines

Glory days

Phil Webber

History

Stuart Rogers

Retains our heritage

Ian Lock

Tradition.

David rendallDavidRendall

It is part of our heritage and the glory years.

Sean Dowling

it is impotant cause we are the mighty robins and we dont want no prancing ponys let the gas have them on their shirts and cause the robin is fearless

Chris Ettle

I started supporting City as a 7 year old in the old 2nd division so have fond memories of the historic times spent in the top flight and the emotive, unique crest of the Robin & bridge on the shirts. I haven't lived in Bristol for many years but still follow my club unstintingly, and like the beloved old emblem long to return to Bristol one day soon.

Andrew williams

History -tradition - success all linked to this badge

Adrian Muttram

I believe the robin badge to be iconic & was City's badge as I grew up supporting them. The coat of arms is a generic excuse for a badge that only relates to the club as it is for the city of Bristol

michael Thresher

this badge was Bristol City with all the elements which other teams ,fans and people in general could tell who we were at a glance a robin and the clifton suspension bridge the city of bristol and we are the red robins this was our badge in the glory days i was bought up as a city fan with that badge of honour on my shirt i would like it back to prove where we are and who we are and we are red not blue

Leigh Badman

Because we want r robin back #alwaysbelieve

Jordan Brimblr

Because the robins is out nick name and what we have always been know as and yet now where on the robin at all.

Kate Masters

It is our heritage and our nickname.

Steve Parfitt

It's the club badge. Should never have been changed in the first place.

margaret leonard

because this is what Bristol City is all about we are the robins have been forever and the Robin should never never been taken of our badge

Martin Amos

Its our heritage

Steve Mills

The coat of arms is a joke. It has no relevance to "City" it is Bristol's coat of arms, not the clubs

Andy wareham

Its bristol city through and through are emblem as a club and looks gd on shirts

simon george

city=robins and should be again

Carl Redgrave

means a lot to me as i love the club and i believe it represents our true identity

michael demytruk

bring back the robin,,,the crest is shite,,

paul crehan

we need are robin back now.........

Stephen Croxton

The robin is Bristol City Fc, the current badge is part of the Bristol coat of arms but doesn't cry Bristol City fc to me or many others.

susan thorne

cause city have always been the robins and should always be the robins

Warwick Trotman

I started supporting City properly in the early 80's and this was the badge.

Gary Murray

It is a tradition!!

Richard Palmer

It defines are club

Joe White

We are the robins, badge should never have been changed. Time to bring it back.

lee holbrook

Its my youth i have the robin badge tatooed on my leg

and Bristol city fc ...the robins are my passion bring it back please

Kevin Farr

Being born and breed in Ashton gate its what i used to see every time i opened my window,and it sepperates us from the less fortunate people in BRISTOL.

Gerald Cryer

Tradition matters to me..

David Nash

The club needs to have an identity.

ashton hennessy

it is the club!!

Liam Horler

Tradition, nickname, iconic

Emma Kivell

iconic, a robin on a football ,with the suspension bridge in the background lets people know bristol city are the only team in bristol

geoffrey northcott

i am city supporter for over 50 years

barry dymianczuk

an iconic CITY logo full of history!!

Joe Milkins

It stands for Bristol city fc

Thomas Chard

It's a badge that perfectly encaptulates both Bristol City and Bristol as whole. This is much more iconic than our current badge.

Most of those comments would make more sense for the crest - Especially the many that relate to the clubs history. The one about red on the Robins breast.... well red also in our coat of arms, people saying teams with the crest look alike - no more so than all the teams with birds on them. There is only one football team with the Bristol City Crest and that's us... it's about as unique as you are going to get (as well as being historically our club badge)....

Seems most are just nostalgic for the years they supported the club and the Robin made it's brief appearance - putting 17 years of a 70's marketing rebranding ahead of our City badge since 1901-2013 (bar those 17 years).... so when I see people say "History" I just think they are being very, very selective in what they consider history.

Gary Bennetts

It is our traditional badge and I want it back!

Simon Jones

It's tradition and something that has something that should always been associated with the club. I am sure a design can be incorporated to include the Robin as well and representing Bristol

Josh Harris

CTID

neil sellick

it's what bristol city is all about not a coate of arms we are the ROBINS

Carly Sutton

The robin is massive part of the club and should be reinstated ASAP!!!

Sophie Boxley

The robin the suspension bridge symbolises bristol and it should of never been taken away!

Wayne stillman

Because i believe the robin badge means more to fans and fans relate to the robins badge. We should only have changed it for that centenary season. Also, i have the robin badge tattooed on me leg!!

BRING BACK OUR ROBIN!!!!

lisa glanfield

it's the club nickname. say no more. bring our robin back.

gareth locke

I gives our own identity

james taylor

loved it when i was a kid, esp with the bridge behind, meant football, bristol & everything to do with city, Crest is okay but to intricate & not recognisable enough. Lets claim the robin as ours, sod swindle or cheltenham. Actually think there's room for both crest & robin (with bridge behind) in one overall club emblem.

June lee-smith

Because City have always been called the robins! its tradition...

mark butler

its tradition!

mike west

Its the badge I grew up with and know and love :)

chris chiddy

Traditon!!

andy garland

Traditon!!

Arnie Davidson

My club that simple

leanne rowe

the robin is the most important for bristol city bring back are mascot

korinna dowler

Cause we should keep the robin,that's the bristol city trade mark,

clive stevens

As a child growing up I loved Bristol City and this badge was much cherished and I haven't felt the same about the club since it since it got rid of the Robin!

steven miller

Some of my best times watching the city in the early 90s.

Frank Day

Get the Robin back on shirts please, it's our badge!!

carole yoxall

The badge should show who we are.City is the ROBINS so lets see it on display on everything

ashley hepper

its are badge .pride

Paul blacker

This is bcfc. Simple

Tricia Welsher

they are a icon simple

Dan Dart

This is Bcfc and its history. we are the pride of bristol but we should be more unique than adopt the citys crest.

desmond goldsmith

the robin and bridge repesents everything bristol and british alike from the robin witch has always been a apart of british history and the bridge is repesents or working history with brunnel and being ahead of its time and people need to know this

Phil messenger

Bristol city is know as the robins as Coventry for example is the sky blues arsenal are the gunners and so on

sean donnelly

tradition to have it back.

lee hook

After supporting bristol city from a toddler it is what I always knew. Seeing my dad wearing th shirt and then myself as I got older with th robin emblazoned on it made everyone no who and what we are . It is an iconic symbol for bcfc and should always remain just that.

harley roper

It wouldnt be bristol city if there wasnt a robin

Dan Cross

Iconic badge that identifies us, always liked the robins badge has character

Liam Dean

its our history its why we are nicknamed the robins...

dan yeomans

an historic, iconic symbol representing our club for years and we want it back

Luke Brain

PRIDE!

Tina Hobbs

To show support for Bristol City and our fans......BRING BACK OUR ROBIN :)

Joe Matthews

The robin badge has always been original and easily identifiable, unlike the current coat of arms that looks similar to many other team badges.

Joe Matthews

The robin badge has always been original and easily identifiable, unlike the current coat of arms that looks similar to many other team badges.

Mike Deady

It gives Bristol City more of an identity.The Robin, Clifton Bridge & the football were a perfect combination.Wolves changed to a town/city crest in the 1990's but soon changed back to their familier wolf badge,so why can't we? Cheltenham now have a robin instead of their forgetful town badge also.Bring back the Robin! p.s Are unicorns holding up the Bristol crest are pathetic!!!!!!

Matt Sharp

Heritage

Emma Kivell

i grew up with the robin badge, its instantly recognisable, the crest could be any team so you really have to look....bring back the robin

Colin Draper

This is the badge that was on my first City shirt ,so i want it back,Why because we are the Robins,coyr !!

Mark Eade

Its what we had in our most successful periods and makes us unique as bridge and robin are ours

Peter hancock

Life long city fan!

Harry Parfitt

Because we are called the Robins and have the crest of Bristol on our Badge! We Need our Robin back!!!!

this is pure nonsense.

Robin introduced in the 70's. it has nothing to do with the clubs identity just some washed up old fans who are too into nostalgia. its their identity not the club's.

If we were to introduce a new badge today fans would scream about lack of tradition, why wasnt it the same back then?

the older generation might have been quick to ditch tradition for a silly gimmick, my younger generation will not.

Most of the posts above sum up what others have said perfectly, all those saying 'tradition' and 'history' are referring to in total a 20 year period of our actual HISTORY. It's TRADITION that we wear the city's crest, people saying that they want the robin back are referring to a time that they started watching/supporting bcfc. In my opinion we should stick to our roots, have the same badge as we originally did over 100 years ago and have the robin on the collar/bottom right of the shirt.

There's obviously two very distinct camps here - so why don't we have a totally new badge to celebrate our new beginning? This could encorporate the robin or bristol crest - but could also be a project with major fan input. Put the best designs to a vote....Just a thought....

this is pure nonsense.

Robin introduced in the 70's. it has nothing to do with the clubs identity just some washed up old fans who are too into nostalgia. its their identity not the club's.

If we were to introduce a new badge today fans would scream about lack of tradition, why wasnt it the same back then?

the older generation might have been quick to ditch tradition for a silly gimmick, my younger generation will not.

Behave, it's just a coat of arms not a Bristol City badge.

this is pure nonsense.

The robin was first used on our shirts in 1949 not the 70's

Most of those comments would make more sense for the crest - Especially the many that relate to the clubs history. The one about red on the Robins breast.... well red also in our coat of arms, people saying teams with the crest look alike - no more so than all the teams with birds on them. There is only one football team with the Bristol City Crest and that's us... it's about as unique as you are going to get (as well as being historically our club badge)....

Seems most are just nostalgic for the years they supported the club and the Robin made it's brief appearance - putting 17 years of a 70's marketing rebranding ahead of our City badge since 1901-2013 (bar those 17 years).... so when I see people say "History" I just think they are being very, very selective in what they consider history.

Just looked at the kits we've had on http://historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_City/Bristol_City.htm

Looks like for the years pre 94 (year of change back to the crest) we've had no badge for 57 years and an even split of 20 years of the crest 20 years of the robin. So it might not be as 'selective' as your post suggests

I see no justification with association of the crest when i see the gas and everyone using it

bristolrovers9qs.jpg

My eyes, it burns, it burns :cool2:

Bristol City is a west country club.

People travel the four corners of the west country (and some beyond) to the South Bristol church which is Ashton gate

and not connecting with Bristol of eastville, horefield (pirate territory) where the Bristol badge is connected as much as the whole of Bristol? We need our own ID and emblem, BRISTOL CITY PRIDE OFTHE WEST

Football = what we do

Robin = westcountry & cider (involving wassail and we sing enough cider songs along with a cider sponsor)

Clifton bridge = south Bristol

Together = the perfect badge

Robin = westcountry & cider connection wassail

It was also believed, especially in the West Country, that the spirits of the trees were incarnated in robins and other small birds.

Young lads representing these birds climbed the apple trees and cried 'Tit-tit, I want more to eat.' A piece of cake,

cheese or bread was either handed up to him or dipped in cider and placed in the forks of the tree branches 'for the robins'.

There are three forms of Christmas/New Year celebration involving wassail, a beverage originally made of mulled ale, curdled cream, roasted apples, nuts, eggs and spices.

The blowing of horns heralds the Wassailing of the Apple Trees celebration, as a beverage, usually cider,

is poured on the roots of the finest tree and a wassail cake placed in the branches as an offering to the tree spirits and elementals who ensure fruitful harvest. Then the beating of kettles and firing of guns loaded with powder are used to drive away the witches and ghosts believed to reside in the crown of the apple tree. This is followed by a wassailing song sung to the tree (or the hive in the tree, in the case of bees!) as in --

Wassail, wassail all round the town;

The zider-cup's white and the zider's brown;

Our zider is made vrom good apple trees,

And now my vine vellows we'll drink if you please.

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/christmas/wassail.shtml

The robin was first used in 1949 on the shirts but it was a very different design

I feel we should have our oven badge and ID to Bristol city not just Bristol as a whole ie: the gas, glous cricket, the council etc.

The rovers using the pirate is a part of Bristols history (read up on it) but in itself represents them alone and a few schools call themselfs Bristol ie: Bristol grammar school, but have their own emblem, badge and rovers dumped the crest years ago for this reason that they are Bristol but not South Bristol.

And that is the deep root point here as they have their own badge/emblem identity which represents them in side their club as opposed to a Bristol crest used by every tom, dick and harry, the Badge of Bristol, which is Bristol as a whole, does not represent them by geography as of Ashton or Bedminster which is where Bristol city fc represent, ok you may not feel it is a robin to your taste but we should go the way the gas or pirates have gone and have our own Badge and identity but still be Bristol city.

Do the club have a motto? most traditional organisations do.

It is interesting the nickname, i like the robins and the robin badge, i like scrumpy our mascot and i didn't get the point when city had a cat? however what would fans consider being called? just city? i don't think this is a modern americanisation of clubs as nicknames have been around for a very, very long time in football but i read a few posts saying i don't like the robins without very little alternative? the robin was a nickname given to us years back by the press and locals who for the basic reason we play in red '''robin red breast'''....

Ah! We were called the Bristol babe i hear some say!! the Bristol babe thing, is that Bedminster fc or Bristol south end? that was about on the clubs merger moving in to the football league as we were new, reading some city history books it was quoted the club and players didn't like it.

Have a read up, the robin has been around in some form and used for a long time (even if no badge appeared on the shirts)

looking at a picture in 1957- 58 a chap looking like dads army with a robin on the end of a stick pointing it at the rovers mascot ''a pirate''.

We are the robins everyone else does not matter. Now the supporters trust to other fan groups are proud to use the robin rather than a crest, we have a robin mascot not a unicorn or a ship, the press still refer to us as ''the robins''.

The crest (bristol coat of arms) was a re-brand and meger with in itself back in the day with ship and castle (coat of arms) and crest supporters (unicorns) putting the two together so it's not as traditional as people like to make out.

The arms are based on the early seals of Bristol, from which the ship and castle theme (signifying a strongly fortified harbour) developed (part of that is slavery). The shield was in use from about the 14th century, and to this was added in 1569 supporters (the two unicorns) and the crest (two arms rising from the clouds holding scales and a serpent). The significance of these various items is recorded in the City Audit Books of this time:- the Unicorns will only do homage to men of virtue; the arms in the crest signify that good government depends on wisdom (the serpent) and justice (the scales) and that these are divine gifts from above.

http://www.ngw.nl/in...r/b/bristol.htm

http://brisray.com/bristol/bsal1.htm

In the 1949-50 season the first robin badge was on the shirts of Bristol city, so the year 1949 the supporters club was formed the supporters club would have been around a robin badge. The picture shows this actual badge design of that time

564030_536013803091035_1035307441_n.jpg

Bristol city's Alec Eisentrager in 1949 wearing the first ever version of the robin badge on theshirts.

302192_541277859231296_1905958369_n.jpg

The Robin, mascott and crowd announcer is nothing new and nothing to do with America,

Bristol city vs Bristol rovers 1957/58 FA cup tie, in this picture the city mascot was known as ''Ashton Alf''

cityvrovers1957.jpg

Picture below is Mr Jenkins contemporary audience, note the very early version of a megaphone and

the crowd holding up a banner ''up the robins'' this being 1935 the fans showing interest in the robin

cityv1935.jpg

205738_10151347641002508_1806395977_n.jp

http://footballcrestsevolution.webnode.pt/uk-crests/championship/bristol-city/

Crest 1909. Robin 1976.

Robin is part of BCFC fans age 30-50's history of the club. I imagine that this demographic accounts for 80-90% of the signitures.

your past is not our future.

Have a look a couple of posts up, you'll see the history of the robin first being used in 1949.

The robin has a much wider appeal than you suggest in your post. I can see why you might think that but it's not true. The petiton has had support from a wide age range.

David James tweeted 'the current badge is too hectic. Kids can't draw it easily enough. A Robin would be good'. This could help build the future fan base and also link into one of the five pillars the club have set 'Community Engagement'

http://footballcrestsevolution.webnode.pt/uk-crests/championship/bristol-city/

Crest 1909. Robin 1976.

Robin is part of BCFC fans age 30-50's history of the club. I imagine that this demographic accounts for 80-90% of the signitures.

your past is not our future.

And 1909 IS the future???

It's not about what was on the shirts first... it is about identity.

It's also not just about City fan's perceptions... it's about everyone else.

If a non-City fan was to see our badge now, and was asked the question, 'Which football club is this?', they may very well hazard a guess at Swindon, Leyton Orient, Walsall or whoever... and they would probably only narrow it down to those clubs because it is set on a red background...

Most people in the country, if not the world, know the Clifton Suspension Bridge and where it is. They can also work out that the Robin represents Red.

As mentioned so many times before, the 'crest' has been used by the Council, Gloucestershire Cricket Club, BRISTOL BLOODY ROVERS and countless other organisations.

David Russe and his mid-nineties (Premiership in five years) board have a hell of a lot to answer for.

And 1909 IS the future???

It's not about what was on the shirts first... it is about identity.

It's also not just about City fan's perceptions... it's about everyone else.

If a non-City fan was to see our badge now, and was asked the question, 'Which football club is this?', they may very well hazard a guess at Swindon, Leyton Orient, Walsall or whoever... and they would probably only narrow it down to those clubs because it is set on a red background...

Most people in the country, if not the world, know the Clifton Suspension Bridge and where it is. They can also work out that the Robin represents Red.

As mentioned so many times before, the 'crest' has been used by the Council, Gloucestershire Cricket Club, BRISTOL BLOODY ROVERS and countless other organisations.

David Russe and his mid-nineties (Premier League in five years) board have a hell of a lot to answer for.

I do agree with what you say, I have taken this paragraph from this website: http://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/crests/

'Many ancient emblems have since vanished. They disappeared because they were too widely used by other local organisations. Football clubs wanted a unique label of their own, easier to recognize at a glance.'

The robin badge is instantly recognised by other football fans. I have spoken to many away supporters over the years and sometimes the subject comes up about badges. They say they like the old robin badge because it was instantly recognisable of who we were. They haven't got a clue about the crest, but when I try to explain to them about it they say that they still prefer the robin.

We still need everyone else on this forum who hasn't voted yet to vote, or we are not going to get a clear picture. Going by the poll it still looks like we're split even. We need some way of getting all of the fans to vote.

I do agree with what you say, I have taken this paragraph from this website: http://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/crests/

'Many ancient emblems have since vanished. They disappeared because they were too widely used by other local organisations. Football clubs wanted a unique label of their own, easier to recognize at a glance.'

The robin badge is instantly recognised by other football fans. I have spoken to many away supporters over the years and sometimes the subject comes up about badges. They say they like the old robin badge because it was instantly recognisable of who we were. They haven't got a clue about the crest, but when I try to explain to them about it they say that they still prefer the robin.

We still need everyone else on this forum who hasn't voted yet to vote, or we are not going to get a clear picture. Going by the poll it still looks like we're split even. We need some way of getting all of the fans to vote.

But is that a good enough reason? for other teams fans to recognise us?

I would also argue that the only reason fans would recognise the robin is because thats the badge we had when we were good. nothing to do with the badge itself.

I'll give you an example, Do you know what Aston Villa's badge looks like? Do you know what Macclesfield Towns badge looks like?...

They look the bleeding same but people know Villa's because they are good, not because it is recognisable.

And other examples such as the Clifton suspension bridge is a world famous landmark of south Bristol... is it? is it really? for starters it's not really in South Bristol, it's in the centre. Particularly if you're using the river to separate north and south (as is traditional), the bleeding bridge crosses the river!!

But is that a good enough reason? for other teams fans to recognise us?

I would also argue that the only reason fans would recognise the robin is because thats the badge we had when we were good. nothing to do with the badge itself.

I'll give you an example, Do you know what Aston Villa's badge looks like? Do you know what Macclesfield Towns badge looks like?...

They look the bleeding same but people know Villa's because they are good, not because it is recognisable.

And other examples such as the Clifton suspension bridge is a world famous landmark of south Bristol... is it? is it really? for starters it's not really in South Bristol, it's in the centre. Particularly if you're using the river to separate north and south (as is traditional), the bleeding bridge crosses the river!!

How on earth, is the suspension bridge in the centre of bristol?? I would like to know how you have worked that out.

If you look on a map, its near enough level with the gate but to the left.

Good idea.

Alternate the seasons as well , so the crest is on the home shirt one year and the robin the next. You could also have the other badge on the back between the shoulders , so both kits carry both badges.

Simples , there you go City over to you.

I've voted 'use both' but would like to say if the robin badge does return , can it be without a surrounding sheild , like the one on JJ's shirt in my signature pic. Ta.

Just wondering if printed stick on stickers of diy designs might be a good idea? ..... I see online several companies facilitate diy design & they can be bought pre printed on sheets of about three dozen peel off self adhesive stickers per sheet... works out few pence per sticker.

I'd imagine supporters could just hand over a donation in return for a small batch of em.... say 5 or 10 at a time to stick onto whatever item of clothes they want.. & they could be sold among the crowd.

Stick-A.Robin on Yer Shirt campaign ... or a Robin Red Crest... or a Crest ... or design your own individual ones even..

Just A Thought. :)

arms06.jpg

If we keep the crest we should have this rather than the cartoon version we currently have.

This one please.

If we have the Robin on it he should be saying something typically West Country.....like....Oi get off moi pitch!

That should do it!

How on earth, is the suspension bridge in the centre of bristol?? I would like to know how you have worked that out.

If you look on a map, its near enough level with the gate but to the left.

No, I'm afraid you're wrong.

No, I'm afraid you're wrong.

Which bit is he wrong about? He is right in saying it is not centre. it is west. I isn't in any shape or from South Bristol, as south Bristol is South of the river. it is however in view of Ashton Gate, so it is in the viewable area.

:) bit of a argument about not much.

I am with the crest by the way, if people want the Robin, then on the back is fine by me.

Personally I don't see why we don't just keep the current badge as our badge and have the robin on the back of the neck just below the collar. It means we have both on the shirt, it gives us a touch of uniqueness on our kit whilst not having to have any of the silly template designs and it's fair the Robin takes the smaller stage when you consider we've worn the City's crest for a lot longer.

All in all I think it's coming up to around 40 years total of us having the crest on our shirt, it appeared before the robin and the robin has only had around 16-17 years and our name is Bristol City, our nickname is the Robins. Therefore the City of Bristol Coat of Arms makes more sense for Bristol City and the Robin being our nickname should also be represented if it is what a core of our fans want.

Archived