IGNORED

Un Balanced Squad

Major Isewater

"It will probably need at least another two windows to address the balance and it might take another couple on top of that to get in the players I want."

Four transfer windows so about two years to get the squad "balanced", i didnt think the squad was to far away from going in the right direction, how many years are we expected to be in "transition", he cant lower my and i expect most city fans expectations any more than they are, but he seems to be trying. Im getting pretty fed up of the whole pantomime that is ashton gate at the moment, its all so very depressing.

It's just a shambles. SOD gets the sack because he says to be patient, JL agrees, then 6 weeks later says he's waited as long as he could. 4 days later; new manager. What does he say? We need to be patient.

:facepalm:

Utterly predictable. The board deserves to be serenaded with "You don't know what you're doing" :facepalm:

so in other words the saviour SOD failed in bringing in the right players during a transfer window where he signed 14 new faces

And you can have this quote from Cotterill as well, smart arse:

"I don't think the squad is unbalanced because the club has brought in the wrong players; it is unbalanced because there has simply not been the time to address the issue fully."

It's just a shambles. SOD gets the sack because he says to be patient, JL agrees, then 6 weeks later says he's waited as long as he could. 4 days later; new manager. What does he say? We need to be patient.

:facepalm:

Ironically, "patient" is one word that I have NOT heard from SC.

The point was even specifically raised at the FP where someone (not me) said how pleased they were not to have been told that we need to be patient.

SC is well aware that we need results and we need them ASAP. Of course the long term goal is not going to be achieved overnight, but he isn't here to faff about and keep possession across the back 4, whilst loosing week in & week out.

I was annoyed that SOD was replaced, but having met him, heard him and seen him, I'm happy that SC is here to take us on from here.

Oh what a bloody surprise! Who'd have guessed changing managers (or head coach ) would have meant even longer in transition?

If only I'd have known, I would have said stick with SOD! Oh wait a minute.............;) Cotterill out !! Board out!!....... um........ I mean fans out!!!! Oh bugger, I' m off to do something less tedious - like manicure the grass with a pair of scissors. :)

so in other words the saviour SOD failed in bringing in the right players during a transfer window where he signed 14 new faces

No disrespect but thats b*ll*cks

SOD brought in players that either were comfortable with his style of football, or he could coach to his style.

SC has a very different style and approach, some of these players arent going to suit. It doesnt mean SOD brought in the wrong players.

I dont think there were many signings that SOD made that, on paper at least, werent good signings...

Dont see what the issue is, we have something like 5 goal keepers, 7 centre mids, a zillion CB's and nothing in the way of widemen strikers and cover in defence on the right.

The squad is unbalanced. So needs sorting.. Where's the issue?

Where do i start ?

It's a ready made excuse for underachievement.

The worry is that all the work that was done before on players is going to be scrapped .We start again ,again .

That SC's hinting that we need to bring in old heads.( to me that stinks of the journeymen of the past) i thought the grand plan was not to go down this route again,paying big wages for average players who block the youngsters.

Threatens that the academy players are not good enough .These lads are once again going to be cast aside.

I hope i'm wrong but it sounds very much like the golden future is being blown out the window and that we are to return to our old disastrous ways.

Worried.

To be fair, two transfer windows takes us to the start of next season and "maybe a couple more" to the season after that. I read his comments as saying "we may be able to challenge next year, if not then the year after" and I think that's fair. Keep us up this year, then build and finish higher next year.

Gary Johnson inherited a similarly shambolic squad and had it mostly sorted out after two transfer windows.

'We are short in certain areas and there is an overload in others'. - I think at least 99% of people on here would agree with that. Personally I'd be more worried that he hadn't identified this problem.

'Its a very difficult problem to sort out in one transfer window' - Again I can't argue with that, especially the January window when less players available.

Also he says there is not much he can do about it right now, again this is true, and he is at great lengths not to criticise SoD which is professional.

I read this thread and thought 'oh no' but reading his comments he is right. Lets not beat him with everything he says or we will get no where.

And you can have this quote from Cotterill as well, smart arse:

"I don't think the squad is unbalanced because the club has brought in the wrong players; it is unbalanced because there has simply not been the time to address the issue fully."

So, in other words, you've posted a quote that contradicts your assertion that it is "unbalanced" because it doesn't contain loads of players SC needs for "hoofball".

It's more likely that he's talking about the time it will take to clear the system of Bristol City of the un-needed high-earning players - Sean had one clearout, some further laxative is required -  and using the cash to bring in genuine competition in certain parts of the pitch - notably central defence and midfield. 

It is just one of those things that every manager says though. When you think of it, every team is in transition at all times. Players come and go, get injured, retire etc....

So,new manager,new players,new systems and the proverbial "un balanced " squad,quote Mr Cotterill .

We are once again "in transition " so don't expect anything for a few years whilst the "new" team gels.

Never dull is it ?

Getting the excuses in before Saturday?

I actually feel for Cotterill predicament. I hope he gets some much needed wins in but I have the feeling that sacking SOD raised the probability of relegation.

Isn't that pretty much what McInness said? He also said that the squad was unbalanced.

Nothing changes much.

indeed things don't change, GJ started the unbalancing act, Millen identified it and then added to it, DMC identified it and never got to finish the process, SOD identified it and left us without wingers and viable striker options which I suspect is what SC is talking about.

But I have to say some of the hypocrisy on this thread is mind numbing, talk about condemning the guy with absolutely no evidence whatsoever, SOD left us in a relegation battle I for one don't give a flying **** how SC keeps us up and like most of SOD supporters kept telling us 'you can't judge him on last season' that wasn't his fault, well the same has to be said for SC FFS.

and the best argument is 'I thought/had a feeling/believed SOD would keep us up, 2 wins in 18 league games tends to suggest otherwise.

So, in other words, you've posted a quote that contradicts your assertion that it is "unbalanced" because it doesn't contain loads of players SC needs for "hoofball".

It's more likely that he's talking about the time it will take to clear the system of Bristol City of the un-needed high-earning players - Sean had one clearout, some further laxative is required -  and using the cash to bring in genuine competition in certain parts of the pitch - notably central defence and midfield. 

It is just one of those things that every manager says though. When you think of it, every team is in transition at all times. Players come and go, get injured, retire etc....

Precisely. As we all are in life. It's just that it must be extremely unsettling and de-motivating to a squad of players to be constantly reminded that they are in a state of transition.

Heraclitus (535-475 BC) 'All things are in a state of flux, the only constant is change,' or words to that effect.

Am I not right in saying that Keith Burt was responsible for signings. In which case Cotterells criticism, is aimed more a Burt than Sod. Unfortunately I agree with the consensus on here that the 'Squad is unbalanced' line is rolled out by managers past and present to mean they either don't rate the current squad or its just an excuse to blame the old boss same as the new boss! I really will despair if we start signing journeymen. Past they're Dell by date players. Cos it will prove we've learnt nothing!

Archived