IGNORED

Marvin Elliott

bcfcbs20

I could count on two hands the number of players that deserve respect from me. Bear in mind Im 59 years old and have been following City since I was 12.

John Atyeo was the first and Jon Stead was the last. Shaun Taylor and Brian Tinnion are there as well.

Just out of interest, why do you respect Stead so highly?

I could count on two hands the number of players that deserve respect from me. Bear in mind Im 59 years old and have been following City since I was 12.

John Atyeo was the first and Jon Stead was the last. Shaun Taylor and Brian Tinnion are there as well.

Atyeo was before my time and I rated Jon Stead for giving his all - but why wouldn't you include Louis Carey?

For record, I would class both Fontaine and Elliott as deserving thanks for what they put in for our club.

I certainly thank Marvin for his commitment and professionalism during his time with us, he put his body on the line many times and even when struggling for form didn't ever stint in effort.

The Jon Stead comment is baffling, nice bloke but his contribution to City was miles less than Marvin's.

• Admin

Largely because not only did he give 100% every game but he is/was a top bloke. He truly loved our club and that was very apparent every time he was interviewed.

On that theory you are assuming that Marv and Liam don't?

I would say that SS was more vocal in his support of City, just look at Twitter as an example JS was on their often but the other two weren't not sure that is a reason for rate someone differently.

It's like saying Marvin Harewood was passionate about us, because he used to wave his hands to try to lift the crowd!

I bet the lad is gutted that he doesn't "deserve" your respect.

I think most fair minded fans would look at the job Marv has done, the times he has played through injury etc. and come to the conclusion that he earned his money during his time here.

At the risk of being controversial and upsetting a few people I would say those seasons when he was doing the work of two players, pretty much, took a lot out of him and is a major reason why he hasn't been able to hit the heights in recent times.

Largely because not only did he give 100% every game but he is/was a top bloke. He truly loved our club and that was very apparent every time he was interviewed.

Sorry, but you can't accuse Marv of not giving 100%. Accuse him of being a limited player, fine, but to argue that Jon Stead's (who I also have great respect for as a City player) contribution to the club is greater than Elliot's is frankly ridiculous

So did Jamie McAllister, was in tears in his last interview on player. Gonna guess you don't have much respect for him tho...

And speaking of McAllister...  If Yeovil come down and Marv doesn't head back London way, I could imagine a certain former manager of ours being interested in his services.

Very few players are deserving of fans respect IMO.

Yeah there is one or two fans that fall into that comment "Robbored" your disrespect for our players both past and present is embarrassing !

Do yourself a favour, and go do the washing up or something !

Fair enough, just a bit surprised you included him in your list that's all. I guess his love for the club was made easier by having so many of his extended family in the area, Bristol wasn't such a random choice by him.

Also with him having so many clubs in his career he knew every trick in the book, or his Agent instructed by him did. Fair enough thats their job but it showed me we don't know the half of it. Negotiations can go on for months and months and months, quite distracting during the season. The club often gets stick for letting players walk, but when you hear what some demand they should be praised for cutting them loose.

Fair enough, just a bit surprised you included him in your list that's all. I guess his love for the club was made easier by having so many of his extended family in the area, Bristol wasn't such a random choice by him.

Also with him having so many clubs in his career he knew every trick in the book, or his Agent instructed by him did. Fair enough thats their job but it showed me we don't know the half of it. Negotiations can go on for months and months and months, quite distracting during the season. The club often gets stick for letting players walk, but when you hear what some demand they should be praised for cutting them loose.

yea he loved the club so much he left on a free after we were relegated and then sat on the bench for most of the season before joining one of our rivals,

Stead was a good lad while here but now way should he be held in a higher regard then the likes of Elliot McAllister and Orr, all very loyal players (aprt from bradders but he had the balls to tell us stright that he wanted a new challenge and never shy'd away from that)

yea he loved the club so much he left on a free after we were relegated and then sat on the bench for most of the season before joining one of our rivals,

Stead was a good lad while here but now way should he be held in a higher regard then the likes of Elliot McAllister and Orr, all very loyal players (aprt from bradders but he had the balls to tell us stright that he wanted a new challenge and never shy'd away from that)

Left to join the club he's loved/supported since he was born. Are you saying he shouldn't have joined Bradford/Oldham on loan just because he played for us? He doesn't exactly owe us anything. In that case, how do you rate Basso for joining Hull after leaving us? 

Left to join the club he's loved/supported since he was born. Are you saying he shouldn't have joined Bradford/Oldham on loan just because he played for us? He doesn't exactly owe us anything. In that case, how do you rate Basso for joining Hull after leaving us? 

you've mis-understood the point I was making, Robbo is making Stead out to be a loyal player to us, he wasn't, I'm not knocking him I like him as a player and loved him when he played for us Pete,

What I'm saying is he shouldn't be held in higher regards then really loyal players like Elliot etc, thats all, not that I don't rate him or hate him,

As for Basso, one of the most overrated players we had who was far from loyal,

you've mis-understood the point I was making, Robbo is making Stead out to be a loyal player to us, he wasn't, I'm not knocking him I like him as a player and loved him when he played for us Pete,

What I'm saying is he shouldn't be held in higher regards then really loyal players like Elliot etc, thats all, not that I don't rate him or hate him,

As for Basso, one of the most overrated players we had who was far from loyal,

fair enough, i'd agree with that. Elliott and McAllister were here for a longer time and were big parts in our good times over the last 5/6 years. Basso is a weird one too. His and Maynard's situations were very similar yet Maynard is berated for his ''attitude toward the club'' yet Basso doing it is ignored.

fair enough, i'd agree with that. Elliott and McAllister were here for a longer time and were big parts in our good times over the last 5/6 years. Basso is a weird one too. His and Maynard's situations were very similar yet Maynard is berated for his ''attitude toward the club'' yet Basso doing it is ignored.

I hold both in disdade for what they did and its also the reason why I support Bardley Orr because he had the balls to tell us stright that he wanted a fresh start and still put in 100% when on the transfer list

Both have contributed to the success of our football club and both players were present when we were so close to getting into the Premiership!

Even if recent times haven't work out very well for them (Fonts in particular) they both are great servants and loved the club. Good luck to both of them.

I wasn't a huge Baldock fan when he arrived, couldn't put 2 or 3 games together without being injured for 6, but I think he has been loyal this season to us. Yes I know he is contracted and I guess well rewarded, but he took the drop own to League 1 and has given his all.

Players like Fontaine, McAllister, Orr, Marvin have all been with us in the bad times as well as good. Many jumped when we got relegated rather than take a cut in wages and play at a lower level.

Maybe Marvin has just had one or two injuries too many. Very sad we couldn't find the old Fontaine again, I think the failure to move to Southampton has been a huge burden to him mentally. However if they both leave and return with new clubs one day I certainly wouldn't think twice about clapping them.

I don't really care if others think it's a bit naff but I would like to say thanks and good luck to Marv and Liam. We had some great times with them in the team. As mentioned above, Marv was an absolute machine when he arrived from Millwall.

All the best fellas.

Archived