IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Monkeh

Without a doubt my favourite midfielder of the last 10 years, but the world cup performance from him was shocking. Considering his season at Liverpool. At least it gives a new lease of life for the young players coming in.

I don't think he recovered from the Chelsea game and failing to win the title.

114 caps for England, but in how many of those games did he play anywhere near as well as he played for Liverpool?

He played well in the 5-1 in Munich, played well against Sweden in the 2006 world cup (when England were already through to the next round), played well in a 3-1 win in a qualifier in Belarus, and did OK in a few friendlies, but more often than not he was distinctly average (or worse) in an England shirt. Yet for some reason the press were always reluctant to criticise his performances for England.

Possession is key at international level and I don't think there has been an England player who has given the ball away as consistently as Gerrard over the last 15 years.

he's one of the few that always put in 100% imo,

Really? How many caps did he win, over 100.....name me 10 games that he really took by the scruff of the neck

Another one of the great underachievers on the international stage for me, good player for Liverpool, but I don't care about that - so it's goodnight from me

he's one of the few that always put in 100% imo,

He might of put in 100%, but as Woody said how many games did he really take by the scruff of the neck?  I can count them on my one hand.

In 10 or so years time Gerrard will be thought of as part of a generation that had potential but hugely underachieved

He might of put in 100%, but as Woody said how many games did he really take by the scruff of the neck?  I can count them on my one hand.

In 10 or so years time Gerrard will be thought of as part of a generation that had potential but hugely underachieved

I'm sorry I can't agree, Gerard is one player, if everyone put in the effort he has we would be talking about a different england team at the moment, a constant pro and will be missed at international level,

who would have done his job in the last 50 or so games? because I can't think of 1 single player

I'm sorry I can't agree, Gerard is one player, if everyone put in the effort he has we would be talking about a different england team at the moment, a constant pro and will be missed at international level,

who would have done his job in the last 50 or so games? because I can't think of 1 single player

Do you honestly think he performed the same way he did for Liverpool when playing for England? The same with Lampard and Chelsea? I don't think so. The "Golden" generation in 2006 all had the same problem, performed for club, not for country.

And you are right, no one else could have done his job in the last 50 games or so, which says more about the fact we can't produce good enough English players to try and create competition for Gerrards position.

Really? How many caps did he win, over 100.....name me 10 games that he really took by the scruff of the neck

Another one of the great underachievers on the international stage for me, good player for Liverpool, but I don't care about that - so it's goodnight from me

Bang on. A great player but time for him to go. Always gave everything but in all honesty hasn't influenced or dictated games at international level for far too long now. Never replicated his club form and certainly didn't lead England with the same drive as he did Liverpool.

Is this the same Gerrard who chose to have non-essential surgery which meant he missed two England world cup qualifiers in 2008, but surprise surprise, didn't miss any Liverpool games?

114 caps for England, but in how many of those games did he play anywhere near as well as he played for Liverpool?

He played well in the 5-1 in Munich, played well against Sweden in the 2006 world cup (when England were already through to the next round), played well in a 3-1 win in a qualifier in Belarus, and did OK in a few friendlies, but more often than not he was distinctly average (or worse) in an England shirt. Yet for some reason the press were always reluctant to criticise his performances for England.

Possession is key at international level and I don't think there has been an England player who has given the ball away as consistently as Gerrard over the last 15 years.

Couldn't agree more. His inability to keep possession for England always seemed to go unnoticed. Perhaps he wasn't used in his best position often enough or until his later years but ultimately didn't replicate his club form enough on the international stage.

Reflects badly of Hodgeson when a senior but ageing player makes his own decision on when to retire from international football. Surely it should have been the manager who should of taken Gerrard quietly to one side after tha World Cup and told him that it was time for the younger players and thank him for his service to his country.

No doubt the same will happen with Lampard.

He had a good Euro 2012, where he set up over half of ours goals, including that peach of a cross for Carroll in the Sweden game.

The World Cup though, he was very poor, which is a shame really. Lahm retires after winning it, Gerrard retires after England's worst ever World Cup performance.

Jack Rodwell was supposed to the next holding, dynamic midfielder, but he's busy sitting on Man City's reserves subs bench.

Possession is key at international level and I don't think there has been an England player who has given the ball away as consistently as Gerrard over the last 15 years.

Agree, agree 500% ( if that's possible!) with your last sentence, England never had a hope of winning anything with him in midfield.

Good Prem player, not good enough Internationally.

Reflects badly of Hodgeson when a senior but ageing player makes his own decision on when to retire from international football. Surely it should have been the manager who should of taken Gerrard quietly to one side after tha World Cup and told him that it was time for the younger players and thank him for his service to his country.

Hodgson may well have done just that in private - and let SG make his own announcement to save face after more than 100 caps.

Not sure it does reflect badly on him. Let's face it there is hardly a host of good players ready to take his role. McLaren did that with Beckham and got it wrong at the time. Hodgson probably called it wrong with Ashley Cole so doesn't want to go telling players they are not needed.

I think it should be up to the player. Don't want players who's heart aren't in it.

Maybe he did, evil twin!

Archived