IGNORED

Watching As A Neutral

Aussie

So I never bothered to get a ticket for tonight's game at AG - mainly because I didnt get around to it and driving London - Bristol - London in the night just wasn't something I felt like doing....

Now at work a colleague tells me he has a spare ticket for Watford v Forest - which is literally 15 mins from here.

I think the last time I watched a game live as a neutral has to be over 10 years ago - and it really would be as a neutral because I have zero opinion on both the Hornets and Pearce's boys.

Plus points -

1. The standard of football is obviously going to be alright at the top of the Championship

2. Free ticket

3.. I get to see potentially City's future opponents

Negatives

1. Why do I care who wins

2. It's cold

Whats the best option then?

I'd go to the match if I were in your postion as rudolf says, there nothing like watching live sport,

many moons ago when we were away to bradford park avenue in the FA cup me and mates made a weekend of it and stayed in sheffiled and watch Sheffield united vs Burnley,

we still talk about what a good time we had now,

I was staying overnight near Watford on business with a colleague and we went to see Watford v West Ham.

The only place we could get in was the away end. Now first I should remind you all that back in the 1980's, the Hammers had a fair number of racially intolerant fans.

After twenty minutes Watford were three up with goals from Barnes (2) and Blissett. At this point some WHU support started climbingnover the gates to go home!

Bobby Barnes, also a black person, scored for the Hammers and it was noticeable that at least 50% abused his colour rather than applauding the goal.

Final score, I think was 5-1 with Barnes and Blissett getting the other two. So all the goals scored by black players.

A night to remember for all the wrong reasons and some cracking football from Watford.

I think the last time this happened to me was years ago when a friend wanted to go and see Ipswich who he supported, against Swindle. My wife and her sister decided to tag along for to go shopping and then my mate pulled out for some reason at the last minute. I ended up choosing the game rather than the shopping and went in the Ipswich end. They were two down with ten minutes to go and fuming at their team. But they ended up winning 2-3! I can't remember when this was but Dalian Atkinson and Romeo Zondervan were playing for Ipswich.

They were of course celebrating like mad, I was on stood there laughing at the Swindle boys :).

Go, you could be our forum scout. You never know we might need the info if we get them in the Cup (ha ha) or for when we are back in the Championship next season!

Yeah good point although you could make a case neither will be in the championship next year?

I've often watched "as a neutral" and TBH you can enjoy the match for its merits without the heart-stopping thought that we might concede a goal and lose (I think I can vaguely remember that happening. a long time ago...)

True, you don't get the "high" when we score/win, but it's so much better than televised football.

I don't recall ever having watched a full PL game on telly, but I used to get the occasional comp for Chelsea and enjoyed seeing those games whilst being completely unconcerned with how the home side fared.

I go to watch football as a neutral all the time. Most recently man city sticking 7 passed Sheffield Wednesday and that was with two other posters on this forum (although we managed to miss the first three goals having a beer!).

Mostly I attend evening games because I hate that I am unable to get down the gate and watch a game under the floodlights. It may not be the same when a neutral but the atmosphere is definatley better at a game that is a 7:45 KO.

Can't beat watching sport live imho and if it's free then why the hell not!

Yep - good advice I have taken the ticket.

"I am coming mate, but on condition I don't sit in the Graham Taylor stand - that man ruined England"

"He is a Watford legend, but no we aren't in that stand"

(I showed the fancam from saturday)

"This is the numbers of support we get these days, I'll be disappointed if any less tonight"

"Where is your Shedman?"

Hahaha, the shedman is national....

Anyway, I'll watch tonight and follow City on BBC on my phone.....

I have watched several ligue 1 matches here in France and although i appreciated the spectacle ,i did n't "feel" it and always came away a bit empty .

Where as City ,even on Radio Quiet i have the emotion and the tension .

It's like watching your kid's school play ,nothing , nothing ,nothing ,enter son stage right ,whey hay ,what a brilliant production .

My sons second team used to be Villa and a couple of times a season, we used to go to Villa Park. One occasion I bought tickets for Villa v Coventry for his birthday in April. Coventry had a very slim chance of staying in the Premiership but they had to win at Villa, and another team had to lose elsewhere, just to give them a chance. Anyway we were in the Holte End, and Coventry were 2-0 up at half time and the atmosphere was electric from the away end. Then something happened that I will never, ever forget. Aston Villa brought on David Ginola at half time, and I have never seen a player change a game as much in my life, and he and Villa ran riot in the second half and he scored at least once as Villa won 3-2.  My abiding memories, apart from Ginola'a magic, were the whole of the home ends singing "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when" at the Cov fans, and being pelted by bricks on the walk back to the car.

Oh and as I was writing this, I suddenly remembered the substitute appearance of John Akinde against Plymouth at AG, when he came on and won it single handed. Oh and Geert Meijer against Ipswich way back when. Memories.

Yeah good point although you could make a case neither will be in the championship next year?

Long way to go yet, but ok you have a point. Go and scout for the season after then, when we will be in the Premiership Ha ha

I wouldn't have taken the ticket simply because I don't care who wins and without an interest in the game wouldn't have be arsed to go.

I do watch PL matches on Sky but only if one of my favourite teams/managers are involved. I didn't bother with the Stoke v Swansea game because I couldn't give a toss what the result would be but I did watch Liverpool beat QPR.

I wouldn't have taken the ticket simply because I don't care who wins and without an interest in the game wouldn't have be arsed to go.

I do watch PL matches on Sky but only if one of my favourite teams/managers are involved. I didn't bother with the Stoke v Swansea game because I couldn't give a toss what the result would be but I did watch Liverpool beat QPR.

Are you the person who went to WEMBLEY with a bunch of gasheads?

Just saying ;)

Are you the person who went to WEMBLEY with a bunch of gasheads?

;)

Different situation.

1)Those Gasheads were mates and them knowing I'm a City fan wanted to see if I could be pursuaded to watch the gas at Wembley. 2) a first look at the new Wembley. 3) a free ticket with me driving them so they could all have a few pints. Give and take and all that.

I couldn't get into the game as a neutral despite the fact I was with some mates.it just was the the same.

Different situation.

1)Those Gasheads were mates and them knowing I'm a City fan wanted to see if I could be pursuaded to watch the gas at Wembley. 2) a first look at the new Wembley. 3) a free ticket with me driving them so they could all have a few pints. Give and take and all that.

I couldn't get into the game as a neutral despite the fact I was with some mates.it just was the the same.

How could you be neutral?

You must have been supporting Rovers' opponents surely?

If nothing else going on, and an easy trip, I would have taken up the ticket.  Have often attended games with no City connection just to see some footy.

Brentford v Crewe, Arsenal v Palace, Wimbledon v Liverpool, Harrogate Town v Chorley, Oldham v Oxford, Huddersfield v Wolves, Leeds v Bradford, Watford v Spurs, PNE v Chesterfield, various games at Old Trafford and Maine Road, etc etc all spring to mind.

Drew the line at going to see Gas at Wembley, just laughed at my dad when he offered.

Last game I can remember going to as a neutral with Leicester - Brentford, around 92/93 I would think

In the Bee's end with some mates, and a bloke starts chatting to me, for no reason at all, and tells me City are 0-3 down at Newcastle.....how random! Got a few mates who are Brentford fans, went a couple of times with them, always quite enjoyed....especially the games at Griffin Park, with all those pubs

I think we all know after Johnson exposed Robbored, he turned to the blue few. I would never go and watch Rovers, especially in a play off final. I would sooner go and cheer on Wales before I would ever go and watch a Rovers game and I would never ever sit in their end. It would be like a Celtic fan going to watch Rangers in the Rangers end, it just shouldn't ever happen. 

Even when I watch Blackpool or Preston or Fleetwood, I've never once cheered. If it's a good goal I clap it and that's whether it's a home or an away goal and I make sure I sit in a family area, where it's hostile and you can have a good chat to other fans, but the day I would go and watch Rovers in a rovers end, well it would be the day hell freezes over.

Thinking about it.....I went to R*vers - Oxford about 8/9 years ago. My best mate is an Oxford fan, and he went on at me for ages to go with him, told him that he'd have to pay for tickets and beers to get me in that place, so he did!

R*vers were 1 up at half time and a copper had a sly comment for me as I wandered back from the toilets, to which I replied 'couldn't care less mate, I'm City'.......every time I looked in their general direction in the 2nd half him and his mate were giving me the evils....especially when Oxford equalised

Thinking about it, no way was I a neutral that night, I was Oxford through and through for 90 minutes

Archived