IGNORED

Mark Ashton the master politician

Londoner

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I'm yet to see a convincing argument for appointing Monk or Sherwood. Neither have done anything of note and have less actual managerial experience than LJ. 

Are they more qualified than LJ just because they managed premier league clubs badly? 

still a higher league than little lee,  premier league experience cant be a bad thing? 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I'm yet to see a convincing argument for appointing Monk or Sherwood. Neither have done anything of note and have less actual managerial experience than LJ. 

Are they more qualified than LJ just because they managed premier league clubs badly? 

Well they both have a better win rate than mineme, albeit in the Premier league. Mind you 8 straight defeats in League 1 takes some beating admittedly.

8 minutes ago, kivsy said:

nor will a short spell at oldham, and a short spell at barnsley !!

Totally agree. Just saying that the experiences of LJ, TS & GM prepare none of them for life in the championship, so why is one mans experience deemed more valuable than anothers? 

Perhaps LJ's stints at two hugely troubled clubs gives him a better experience of management than maybe Monk has, who landed himself a relatively easier job in comparison? 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Monk took Swansea to their highest ever top division finish...

"Managed a premier league club badly"...

Good grief....

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, the problem LJ may have is the same I believe his father suffers, and that is managing players in higher leagues on more money and much bigger ego's.

When you are managing in the lower leagues, its not so easy for a player to say up yours and chuck his dummy out the pram as he will have very few places to go, so you can get away with bullying players or its less likely for them to question your ability or tactics. Also you are dealing with players on the way up and players given a second chance at pro football, so more accepting of whats going on.

When you step up to the championship or premier league, you are dealing with players who have options, maybe massive ego's and have played at a much higher level. If you have a manager who has only managed and manly played in lower leagues then it becomes easier for the players to challenge or loose confidence when things are not going well, but less lik

Also when it comes to attracting players they are more likely to come and play for an established and proven manager.

I am not against LJ, but just don't think he is what we need at the moment, although will be very happy to be proved wrong.

I don't know why people are surprised that Mark Ashton is full of it. I knew what type of corparate ego we were as soon has he walked in to the club.

The story is always going to be Mark Ashton and he didn't want a big name to over shadow him. 

I think Mark Ashton thinks he can control LJ , I hope he is in for a rude awaking and LJ is his own man.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Monk took Swansea to their highest ever top division finish...

"Managed a premier league club badly"...

Good grief....

Ok, I admit, that was an incorrect comment.  Ultimately though, he has ended up taking that club backwards.  I don't see why his experiences at Swansea are so much more revered than LJ's.  Totally different circumstances, but I'd argue LJ's was a harder job.

Have a read of this :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2953091/Lee-Johnson-Britain-s-youngest-manager-33-Oldham-one-experienced.html

9 minutes ago, eric04 said:

So Mark Ashton lasted about 3 weeks before this board turned on him!

Apparently because he wears a suit and people don't like the way he talks...

The board are crap...the club are massive...the likes of Moyes should automatically want to come here...yet we've yo yo'd between div 2 and 3 pretty much all our existence.:facepalm:

I really am starting to blame SL for many of our fans delusional thinking regarding our status.

Talk of going for Prem football next year, Shiny massive new stadium and alleged £7 million bids for players...all sending out wrong messages to our fans imho.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Apparently because he wears a suit and people don't like the way he talks...

The board are crap...the club are massive...the likes of Moyes should automatically want to come here...yet we've yo yo'd between div 2 and 3 pretty much all our existence.:facepalm:

I really am starting to blame SL for many of our fans delusional thinking regarding our status.

Talk of going for Prem football next year, Shiny massive new stadium and alleged £7 million bids for players...all sending out wrong messages to our fans imho.

Frankly we have been sold a dud. Lansdown has premier league ambition but willing to pay peanuts.  Mark Ashton is another yes man.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Less badly than LJ in League One though.

In order:

Sherwood has a win ratio of 42.9% in the Premiership.

Monk has a win ratio of 36.4% in the Premiership.

Johnson has a win ratio of 36.4% in League One.

10 hours ago, Londoner said:

After what he said we all assumed the likes of Pearson, Clarke, Monk, Sherwood etc were interested....maybe he was lying, maybe he over estimated the draw, maybe he got it very wrong.....or maybe he was manipulating the fans into think the impossible was possible.

Mark Ashton clearly a politician, and a poor one at that.

Only Pearson would count as a decent appointment in that list.

7 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Frankly we have been sold a dud. Lansdown has premier league ambition but willing to pay peanuts.  Mark Ashton is another yes man.

Easy to say...now back it up with some logic.

How do you know SL is willing to pay peanuts...? Show me proof of this...or at least some thought as to why you think this.

Why is Ashton a 'yes' man...? what proof do you have of this? Or if none...why you think this...

Frankly i'm seriously bored of all these 'statements about SL and MA...just made up with no proof what so ever. Prove me wrong.

48 minutes ago, spudski said:

Easy to say...now back it up with some logic.

How do you know SL is willing to pay peanuts...? Show me proof of this...or at least some thought as to why you think this.

Why is Ashton a 'yes' man...? what proof do you have of this? Or if none...why you think this...

Frankly i'm seriously bored of all these 'statements about SL and MA...just made up with no proof what so ever. Prove me wrong.

Saved me typing it.

Cheers Spudski.

Painful on here at times. Anyone that knows anything gets shot down. Lots could be said about our cub but many that know about goings on keep quiet to avoid the usual questions about how you know followed by abuse because you don't post frequently. Forget about who told you what but look at the evidence and the quotes made by the club followed by the actions if nothing else. 

For those interested and from sources directly involved ie not third hand

Our board have received interest from  some of the top names quoted and I know of conversations with Moyes and Pearson. They have told agents and high ranking people in game that we were going to choose a top name as manager to make a statement to everyone, to add to the new stadium. All seemed over optimistic but the message given out within game was that we were going for it. This was just after the sacking of Cotts. We have also received some very good experienced managers names as applicants, not my opinion but again supports what Ashton said. 

SC was dismissed because we had premiership ambitions or at least thats was the public line. He is devastated by the news and it looks as though he has not been backed by the board, a fact confirmed to me by an ex Prem manager but not one I refer to below(which was before he was sacked).

An ex premiership manager who also got champs club promoted was very interested in taking job. Recd text from him. He also has worked as coach in past, this didn't bother him. I don't have any doubt as result that we did have good options as manager or coach.

Others that work in the game have been given the same line that we are going for it and will appoint a big named manager so the line has been consistent although some that I have been in contact with think we are a joke, constantly saying one thing and doing another, not my quote by the way. Let's not forget that SL was on holiday in Thailand with Jon whilst all this was happening, Ie SC sacking and the initial comments were made.

And now we hear that Lee is our choice. Lee got his first job by getting a lot of help from SL. This was in public domain at the time. So SL feels he can work with him / JL. MA will do as he is told but be the mouthpiece. 

Unfortunately what comes out of BCFC and what we do are two very different things. A dangerous time to divide the fanbase when we are just about to get 27k ground in few months. But SL thinks we will get min 20k next year apparently which will help fund the squad. Not convinced SL actually does want to back club  to be a competitive team in championship. If he did he would have appointed one of the experienced candidates. The timing of all this is key. We wait until after the window has shut to appoint a coach with no experience at this level. I know SL was considering getting rid of Cotts way back in Nov. To me the timing of all this was very much planned which is very worrying.

Last season was unbelievable and we were flying high at the end of last season Cotts had 5 players lined up in May who he thought would get us to the top third of league and challenging. Andre Grey was one of these and in a salary below the cap mentioned to him and with a fee that was below 5M. SC managed to get his targets the previous year remember when he had total control and we know what happened there. ( What a season) On the back of that the club sell all their boxes and pretty much guarantee a near sell out next season. 

SC no longer had total control this season  when after getting 5 players agreed fees and also personal terms he then had to leave it to JL to sort whilst he went away. Imagine how he felt when he came back to realise that ALL the previously agreed deals had been left untouched in some cases and in other cases the club had tried to go back on what was agreed and tried to renegotiate to a lower level ( confirmed to me by person involved) then decided to wait as they felt with time they would get them for less. Inexperienced is one thing incompetent is another.

I was not an initial supporter of Cotts when he arrived but I did know that he needed to have control to get the best out of him, which is what we did initially. By removing his control we effectively turned a very popular man In BCFC to a man that had become to be questioned by some as a direct result of us not having a good enough squad at the time of his exit. 

And now we have gone full circle. Prior to SC we had SOD and prior to that DM that effectively did not have control over transfers we have only briefly deviated from this stance and look what happened. At the time when DM was manager I know of a time at the start of the season where JL had a list of players he presented to DM that he wanted him to sign. After finally realising that this didn't work we had a man that exudes confidence and wanted total control it was either that or nothing from his perspective, so we chose to give him control. He built the best team in League 1 and created a fantastic team spirit but let's not forget he was allowed to sign who he wanted without anyone else telling him who he should sign. So what do we do after that we decide that it is going to cost a lot to back him in Chamoionship so we don't and rather than say that we take control away from him and then make some public statements of intent in respect of Gray and Gayle that quite frankly was embarrassing ( wages that we were prepared and not able to pay as quoted) I could go on and on but will leave it there.

And now it appears as though Lee is our choice, what does that tell you about. I am sure many will say he is young and a progressive coach, has the right DNA etc This is all about having someone who does what he is told and who will share the same Vision as our owner. Forget premiership vision though. 

15 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think the key word in your posting is 'assumed'.  I don't recall Mark Ashton saying anything about Pearson, Clarke, Monk or (God help us) Sherwood.  Maybe he was telling the truth.  Maybe they had lots of applications, but maybe they have decided that Lee Johnson is the BEST MAN FOR THE JOB.  And why not, given that he is rated as one of the, if not the, most promising young managers in the football league?

Pearson was always a non-starter, given that he would have wanted compete control; Clarke has no great record, certainly in recent seasons and won't get better; Sherwood is hopeless; so if it was a choice between Monk and Johnson, then I doubt there was much in it.

However, none of this suggests that Mark Ashton has lied at any stage.

He did however lead fan up a merry path.

15 hours ago, Harry said:

Not a great fan of Monk or Sherwood but they have managed higher than the championship and were given that responsibility. LJ has had 2 short tenures and done nothing of note in League 1. He will now have the responsibility to keep us in the Championship of which he not only has no experience. He doesn't even know the City squad let alone any knowledge of the opposition we will face. As for Ashton, he is just spin in a suit and I will never believe a word he says.

1 hour ago, Dibdenred said:

Painful on here at times. Anyone that knows anything gets shot down. Lots could be said about our cub but many that know about goings on keep quiet to avoid the usual questions about how you know followed by abuse because you don't post frequently. Forget about who told you what but look at the evidence and the quotes made by the club followed by the actions if nothing else. 

Our board have received interest from  some of the top names quoted and I know of conversations with Moyes and Pearson. They have told agents and high ranking people in game that we were going to choose a top name as manager to make a statement to everyone, to add to the new stadium. All seemed over optimistic but the message given out within game was that we were going for it. This was just after the sacking of Cotts. We have also received some very good experienced managers names as applicants, not my opinion but again supports what Ashton said. 

SC was dismissed because we had premiership ambitions or at least thats was the public line. He is devastated by the news and it looks as though he has not been backed by the board, a fact confirmed to me by an ex Prem manager but not one I refer to below(which was before he was sacked).

An ex premiership manager who also got champs club promoted was very interested in taking job. Recd text from him. He also has worked as coach in past, this didn't bother him. I don't have any doubt as result that we did have good options as manager or coach.

Others that work in the game have been given the same line that we are going for it and will appoint a big named manager so the line has been consistent although some that I have been in contact with think we are a joke, constantly saying one thing and doing another, not my quote by the way. Let's not forget that SL was on holiday in Thailand with Jon whilst all this was happening, Ie SC sacking and the initial comments were made.

And now we hear that Lee is our choice. Lee got his first job by getting a lot of help from SL. This was in public domain at the time. So SL feels he can work with him / JL. MA will do as he is told but be the mouthpiece. 

Unfortunately what comes out of BCFC and what we do are two very different things. A dangerous time to divide the fanbase when we are just about to get 27k ground in few months. But SL thinks we will get min 20k next year apparently which will help fund the squad. Not convinced SL actually does want to back club  to be a competitive team in championship. If he did he would have appointed one of the experienced candidates. The timing of all this is key. We wait until after the window has shut to appoint a coach with no experience at this level. I know SL was considering getting rid of Cotts way back in Nov. To me the timing of all this was very much planned which is very worrying.

Last season was unbelievable and we were flying high at the end of last season Cotts had 5 players lined up in May who he thought would get us to the top third of league and challenging. Andre Grey was one of these and in a salary below the cap mentioned to him and with a fee that was below 5M. SC managed to get his targets the previous year remember when he had total control and we know what happened there. ( What a season) On the back of that the club sell all their boxes and pretty much guarantee a near sell out next season. 

SC no longer had total control this season  when after getting 5 players agreed fees and also personal terms he then had to leave it to JL to sort whilst he went away. Imagine how he felt when he came back to realise that ALL the previously agreed deals had been left untouched in some cases and in other cases the club had tried to go back on what was agreed and tried to renegotiate to a lower level ( confirmed to me by person involved) then decided to wait as they felt with time they would get them for less. Inexperienced is one thing incompetent is another.

I was not an initial supporter of Cotts when he arrived but I did know that he needed to have control to get the best out of him, which is what we did initially. By removing his control we effectively turned a very popular man In BCFC to a man that had become to be questioned by some as a direct result of us not having a good enough squad at the time of his exit. 

And now we have gone full circle. Prior to SC we had SOD and prior to that DM that effectively did not have control over transfers we have only briefly deviated from this stance and look what happened. At the time when DM was manager I know of a time at the start of the season where JL had a list of players he presented to DM that he wanted him to sign. After finally realising that this didn't work we had a man that exudes confidence and wanted total control it was either that or nothing from his perspective, so we chose to give him control. He built the best team in League 1 and created a fantastic team spirit but let's not forget he was allowed to sign who he wanted without anyone else telling him who he should sign. So what do we do after that we decide that it is going to cost a lot to back him in Chamoionship so we don't and rather than say that we take control away from him and then make some public statements of intent in respect of Gray and Gayle that quite frankly was embarrassing ( wages that we were prepared and not able to pay as quoted) I could go on and on but will leave it there.

And now it appears as though Lee is our choice, what does that tell you about. I am sure many will say he is young and a progressive coach, has the right DNA etc This is all about having someone who does what he is told and who will share the same Vision as our owner. Forget premiership vision though. 

Very good and well thought out post. However, very very depressing!

1 hour ago, Dibdenred said:

This rather puts the flesh on the skeleton of what I had thought after reading between the lines of many posts on here.

Well what an almighty cluster **** of a club this is. We had the best manager for many a year, playing the style of football not seen for a long time and at the same time, to top it all we were actually extremely successful.

Then what? Allow this manger to continue with his driven quest for success? Allow him to follow the same path which had brought success last season? Allow him to make us a force in the championship?

Well no actually. Let's cut the ground from under him, let's scupper his plans. let's undermine his authority and position. After all he did such a dreadful job following his own ethos.

Unbelievable.

And to all those "purists" who say no, no, you mustn't let one person have so much power and make all the decisions. You must follow the structure of the modern game. It's all to much for one person.

I would say why change the model if it works and is successful. Why get rid of someone who was clearly relishing being in control and did not appear that it was too much for him. Why do these things to someone with bags of experience in the Championship and who has spent a lot of time studying the game home and abroad.

The club knew damn well how he wanted to work and were happy to lap up the success he brought in league one. They should have backed him to make a decent challenge in this league. I have no doubt that we would be in a much higher position if he had been supported. 

I will have to think long and hard before I renew my ST for next season, whoever comes in.

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Lee J (who I actually like) confirms everything about our ramshackle club. I cannot think of a move that could have dumfounded me more. It is idiotic, lacks any vision, and proves we are still with a L1 mentality. I seriously have no idea why Sl is building a stadium. It is also stupid if you tell the fans you want Prem football and you put Lee J in charge. II have always stuck with the club, through everything, and even with LJ they will still be my team. But this is the first time I really doubt Steve Lansdown(who I also like ) and feel it is now time we got people in to run this club properly. As for Mark Ashton, well he has failed disastrously at the first hurdle . He is a puppet, as no one in his role should be suggesting Lee J as the ideal candidate. Yes Mark we are surprised at the candidates, but we are more surprised at your clown like performance that looked high and low and ended up with Lee J. My faith in BCFC has been totally tested and lost. This farce has gone on too long. As ever CTID just that these situations make the TID come a lot quicker. 

A great post and pretty much sums up everything from my point of view and I reckon the vast majority of City fans.

I was in the pub last night and mentioned to non City fans about our impending appointment. I was met with a mixture of them being speechless, them laughing and the worst of it. Pity!

Whilst all this is a tad depressing, we are where we are!  I can see that Bristol Sport wants a more corporatist approach to professional sport and that they might feel uncomfortable ceding control to an employee that the board might regard as a bit of a maverick.  However, sport seems to thrive on mavericks - be they star players or top managers with powerful personalities.  The art of top management should be to utilise this talent in order to achieve outperformance.  Sadly, this might be uncomfortable with "leaders" who lack the true authority of a powerful outright owner and who may simply be seeking to please their boss by being ultra careful with the responsibilities entrusted to them.  I don't think that professional sport is like many other types of business and so it needs a more imaginative approach that can be inclusive of really powerful personalities and not allow them to be reigned in by Lilliputian executives.

None of this means that we should not give Lee Johnson our utmost support if he is chosen as our next manager.  Lets hope it works out - for all our sakes!

Archived