IGNORED

Squad numbers

Nuno Gomes

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

If that's right should I be concerned that our obvious first choice striker is down at no. 22 rather than at 9?

I thought that the standard way if numbering was to have your expected first choice team of permanent players (as opposed to loans) in the 1 - 9 positions.

Hasn't been like that for years, many players prefer a random number 

9 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

If that's right should I be concerned that our obvious first choice striker is down at no. 22 rather than at 9?

I thought that the standard way if numbering was to have your expected first choice team of permanent players (as opposed to loans) in the 1 - 9 positions.

Not these days. All seemed to start when Beckham was 23 and stayed that way and suddenly lots of top players were 23. 

Tomlin was desperate to be 10 - that was known. Agard maybe handed 9 to stop his toys coming out the pram but he will never be a true number 9 at this level.

O'Donnell is surely our number 1 but maybe did not want to upset fielding or perhaps ROD likes his number.

Kodjia is bound to be a superstition thing - he is a nutter !!

EDIT - I started replying quicker than phantom but firk me I'm slow :facepalm:

17 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Joey B`s been No.23 as long as I can remember him being a first team player. Same with Marlon and No.21, Wilbs and 18, LF and 15 and Bobby Reid and 14..

Joe has had number 26, 15 and possibly started with something like 30 I think.

Bobby has had a couple of others too I think. True that alot of players prefer a certain number which is quite often not between 1-11

20 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Joe has had number 26, 15 and possibly started with something like 30 I think.

Bobby has had a couple of others too I think. True that alot of players prefer a certain number which is quite often not between 1-11

Could have sworn Joe had only ever had 23 so there you go! He obviously likes it now though!

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Not these days. All seemed to start when Beckham was 23 and stayed that way and suddenly lots of top players were 23. 

Tomlin was desperate to be 10 - that was known. Agard maybe handed 9 to stop his toys coming out the pram but he will never be a true number 9 at this level.

O'Donnell is surely our number 1 but maybe did not want to upset fielding or perhaps ROD likes his number.

Beckham copied Michael Jordan of course.

12 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Beckham copied Michael Jordan of course.

Indeed he did. Who was the next to follow in football? I remember it being a good player but can't think who it was :facepalm:

edit: Wesley Schneider (spelling maybe firked)

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Started before that with Henry being 14 at Arsenal, and Kanu being 25. Those were back in the 90s, Beckham was about 7 years later

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

Started before that with Henry being 14 at Arsenal, and Kanu being 25. Those were back in the 90s, Beckham was about 7 years later

True dat. And Kanu was never 25 - I think he was 42 when the storks delivered him !!

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It's how many goals he's gonna get.

Apologies @Neo, picked up your comment by mistake and now can't get shot of it!

Scotty commented on the number list above the other day on twitter saying that they were the pre season numbers and that they weren't confirmed for the new season as yet. Can't imagine they would be too different. Didn't Matthews wear 26 last season, that's free, so could be the only change to what @phantom posted

12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Wonder what the rules are for this.

Could somebody have 205 after a favourite car or 999 after a long forgotten punk band?

Think it's numbers up to 99. I know Ümit Karan used to wear 99 for Galatasaray, but not seen a 3 digit number

Semi-relevant to strange numbers and the adjustment of the 1-11 starting lineup system that was always in place. I always remember Zamorano for Inter playing as number 18 but because he was so desperate to be their number 9, he has a + sign put in between his numbers on his shirt. Must be some other strange ones.

I think I'm right in saying Balotelli wanted to be 45 for Liverpool(?) because 4+5=9. Usually some reasons behind weird numbers that players choose to have, especially if they can't have their first choice.

Yep I think anything from 1-99 is allowed. 

I would like to see O'Donnell at 1 and Kodjia at 9. But it seems the in thing to hold onto a squad number for superstitious reasons. 

I remember even as a 14 year old being really annoyed to see Billy Mercer wearing number 2. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yep I think anything from 1-99 is allowed. 

I would like to see O'Donnell at 1 and Kodjia at 9. But it seems the in thing to hold onto a squad number for superstitious reasons. 

I remember even as a 14 year old being really annoyed to see Billy Mercer wearing number 2. 

Was an odd one seeing Mercer wearing 2

Remember the Argies wearing their WC numbers in 78 and possibly 82 (I think) in alphabetical order, Ossie Ardiles wore #1, only a certain youngster called Maradona refused and demanded 10.....

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I was 16 when he made his debut and Christ it boiled my piss seeing that. As I've gotten older I just shrug myshoulders. However players wearing ridiculously high numbers (see clubs on the continent) like 77, 80, 99 etc baffle me :D 

Archived