IGNORED

Unexciting Signings

Marina's Rolls Royce

It's such a funny old game at BCFC.

We all get ( me too) so very excited at being linked with the marquee signing ( Tomlin/ Abraham) or the price we pay ( Magnussen- Juventus) yet if we look back over the past few seasons- even historically there are some very pleasant unexciting signings that at the time don't get us buzzing.

It now looks likely that our biggest  profit in a 100 year history will be from the unexciting £20,000 Plymouth player who hardly played for us.

The highly unexciting Wilbraham signing was crucial to our Double winning season and top scorer whilst the costly Flint from Swindon ( £400k) was seemingly a cart horse. Meanwhile, a third choice L1 player who has plied his trade in the Conference and lower leagues who cost us next to nothing gets my MOM twice in the last three games. Richard O'Donnell appears to be an outstanding keeper for us and in his short time at BS3 has made the difference between us drawing or winning in many of his matches. 

I'm really looking forward to our next unexciting signing.

I was excited when we signed Bolasie. Adomah described him as like himself but better. To have both of those in the same team was surely a winner, no? Turns out we hardly played them together and let one go for peanuts (although hopefully we're finally getting something back now).

Plymouth must be gutted as presumably they're getting nothing from this transfer?

Adam Locke came from Colchester on a free, and looked nothing more than thoroughly professional full back/wing back from the time he got here. I never understood why he wasn't more sought after.

I was really excited when we signed Carl Hutchins because we all were so impressed by his performance against us for Brentford the previous season, he was never as effective for us.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Adam Locke came from Colchester on a free, and looked nothing more than thoroughly professional full back/wing back from the time he got here. I never understood why he wasn't more sought after.

I was really excited when we signed Carl Hutchins because we all were so impressed by his performance against us for Brentford the previous season, he was never as effective for us.

Two great shouts. I mentioned Locke on a thread not so long back, lovely bloke, great player. Also met Hutchins, he was an absolute unit, and a lovely bloke too. I gave my Brentford mates so much stick after we'd signed him.....that didn't last long

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

All unexciting

Nicky Morgan

Gary Shelton 

Colin Gordon 

All exciting

David James

Marcus Stewart

Lee Trundle

Don't you even dare take the great mans name in vain. I was excited about Shelts signing, and he was superb from day one

9 minutes ago, Big C said:

I was excited by the Lee Amigos, when was it? Back in 2003ish. Especially when we beat Nott County 5-0 on the opening day of the season with all three of them notching.

Attack of the Killer Lee's

It all started so well.....

Andy Cole has to got to be one of our best buys ever, that really wasn't 'exciting'...from an Arsenal reserve team.

Hope Tammy turns out just as good.

Akinbiyi from Gillingham...scored 21...sold to Wolves 16 years ago for £3.5 million...£1.5 million more than JK 16 years ago...mental.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I still remember being excited by the signings of Stewart and Bridges :(

Blimey- yes. Forgotten all about that!

It was like the prodigal son returning.

Didn't they open up the Dolman Hall to introduce them? An Ex England player and the golden boot highest scoring player in the 'Prem'.

What could possibly go wrong?

Adam Locke and Nicky Morgan were the 2 that came to mind for me (not Shelts, either, Woodsy, I was also well excited when the great man signed).

Nicky Morgan is to my mind the most underrated player to play for City in my 40+ years of support.

Cost £30k, had a goal every 3 games ratio (almost all at Championship level) for us and to me a far more skilful player than Dziekanowski.

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Adam Locke and Nicky Morgan were the 2 that came to mind for me (not Shelts, either, Woodsy, I was also well excited when the great man signed).

Nicky Morgan is to my mind the most underrated player to play for City in my 40+ years of support.

Cost £30k, had a goal every 3 games ratio (almost all at Championship level) for us and to me a far more skilful player than Dziekanowski.

Morgan had the kind of arse that when he stuck it out and dug his heels in, he was going nowhere. The opposition couldn't get the ball off him, and it gave our lads chance to get up and support. Great player, and as you say, massively underrated

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Andy Cole has to got to be one of our best buys ever, that really wasn't 'exciting'...from an Arsenal reserve team.

Akinbiyi from Gillingham...scored 21...sold to Wolves 16 years ago for £3.5 million...£1.5 million more than JK 16 years ago...mental.

Hadn't Cole scored a few for Fulham on loan the season before? 

59 minutes ago, spudski said:

I personally was extremely excited by Andy Cole joining us………….we had him on loan initially for the last few games of season 91/92, and he looked an outstanding talent.  I actually wrote a letter to Green Un in that close season, which got published, stating that if we missed out on signing AC prior to season 92/93……………that I could see him joining Liverpool/Man Utd in the future for big money, and we would then look back with regret for missing out.  Well I got it about right!  He did join Newcastle/Man Utd for big money, and Yes despite signing him for £500,000 we did miss out………because of our failure to add a sell on clause, we missed out on a few million.

Archived