IGNORED

Keith Welch - Keep fighting (Merged)

alexukhc

• Admin

Found out this evening that Keith has just had an op for cancer treatment. 

There is a request on a City Facebook group to obtain a copy of our 1-1 draw away at Sunderland when he was MOTM. 

Does anyone have this game on video, or know where a copy can be found? 

@Never to the dark side is this something you have? 

Screenshot_20160906-220423.png

City's number one during the first 6 or so years of my time going to the Gate. Glad to hear his ops gone well and hope he makes a full recovery. Will never forget his performance live on Sky at Sunderland, we stole a point with late a Soren Anderson equaliser, but if it hadn't been for as good a display of goalkeeping as you'll ever see from Welchy, we would of been on the end of an absolute thumping. Get well soon Welchy.

Surely one of our best keepers in the last 25 years. Never quite sure if he took to being called Elvis though...

Great professional and always felt comfortable with KW in front of the eastend. 

Great to hear that his recovery sounds on track and long may that continue. Would be fantastic to welcome Keith back onto the pitch at some point in the future. 

42 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Best wishes to Keith and his family. I remember lots of games with him but the one that really sticks is at WBA on a Boxing Day when a back pass hit a great big divot and bounced over his foot for a last minute, undeserved, winner for West Brom. Gutted then but now I can see the funny side.

Yep, I think B. Divot was man of the match that day. Always felt confident with Keith Welch in goal. Get well soon.

12 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Yep, I think B. Divot was man of the match that day. Always felt confident with Keith Welch in goal. Get well soon.

I was at that game I remember it was so so late . Also at the Sunderland game when Keith was MOM, Friday night, City fans were singing "we are only losing 1-0" it was like the Alamo, could have been 5or6 if it was not for big Keith. Managed 1-1 draw

Battle on big man, our thoughts are with you 

51 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Best wishes to Keith and his family. I remember lots of games with him but the one that really sticks is at WBA on a Boxing Day when a back pass hit a great big divot and bounced over his foot for a last minute, undeserved, winner for West Brom. Gutted then but now I can see the funny side.

I remember it well. Stuart Munro hit the back pass and there was no nothing KW could have done to prevent the goal. I think I was the only city fan who thought it was funny at the time - I stopped laughing sharpish when I realized no one else saw the funny side of it.

Get well soon Keith.

4 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I remember it well. Stuart Munro hit the back pass and there was no nothing KW could have done to prevent the goal. I think I was the only city fan who thought it was funny at the time - I stopped laughing sharpish when I realized no one else saw the funny side of it.

Get well soon Keith.

Was behind the goal that day and it was impossible for KW to do anything about the horrendous bobble the ball took. 

What annoyed me most was the post match radio phone in where loads of west brom fans phoned in to take the piss. No way was that goal the fault of Keith Welch. 

City's number 1 when I first started going down the Gate, me and my brother idolised him! Pleasant bloke too, always willing to sign an autograph. Fantastically agile keeper and, as others have said, excellent with the ball at his feet.

Get well soon Keith, and I agree with an earlier poster-would love to see him make an appearance again at the club when he's better :) 

Archived