IGNORED

They were very very good

Robbored

Best team to visit AG this season by a mile.

Defensively strong with two massive CBs and a very well organised back four with the midfield protecting them. A very solid outfit throughout. Credit to them.

Sidwells goal was fantastic with nobody to blame but the second was down to Little allowing the winger inside to his preferrred right foot but mistakes are part of the game.

LJ post match Sky interview was spot in his assessment of the game. Very honest and candid as usual.

I really like the way he conducts himself.

No disgrace to lose to such a decent team. The sad thing is tho....I lost a tenner...:facepalm:

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Defensively strong with two massive CBs and a very well organised back four with the midfield protecting them. A very solid outfit throughout. Credit to them.

Sidwells goal was fantastic with nobody to blame but the second was down to Little allowing the winger inside to his preferrred right foot but mistakes are part of the game.

LJ post match Sky interview was spot in his assessment of the game. Very honest and candid as usual.

No disgrace to lose to such a decent team. The sad thing is tho....I lost a tenner...:facepalm:

No...

first goal was poor pass from GON resulting in poor control from Korey in losing the ball to Sidwell and RoD then falls over back-peddling - all 3 to blame

Second goal was all down to GON, he carried the ball out, dwelt on it, lost it, tracked Murphy back, then left it to Little and was just as much to blame for Murphy cutting inside.

Agree BHA were very well organised side and always a game we were likely to lose, but that's 1 win in 6 now, with 2 more hard games to come next.

21 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

No...

first goal was poor pass from GON resulting in poor control from Korey in losing the ball to Sidwell and RoD then falls over back-peddling - all 3 to blame

Second goal was all down to GON, he carried the ball out, dwelt on it, lost it, tracked Murphy back, then left it to Little and was just as much to blame for Murphy cutting inside.

Agree BHA were very well organised side and always a game we were likely to lose, but that's 1 win in 6 now, with 2 more hard games to come next.

It was the BHA press that caused GoN and then Smith to lose the ball. Sidwell had see RoD off his line before he picked up the  loose ball and instinctively lobbed the keeper. Great vision and technique from Sidwell.

City huffed and puffed but none of our players had the nouse to break them down. Brighton haven't conceded a goal for ages so it's not just City that hardly had a shot on target all game.

Houghton has them very well organised indeed.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

We have disagreed massively in the past but I couldn't summarise this any better.

Sometimes we just have to accept that some teams are better than us.

As good as the Brighton team was, O'Donnel hardly had to make a save apart from the two goals. Amazingly the BBC stats show Brighton only having one shot on  target! (Was the second goal deflected?) With a bit more clinical finishing the score could have been much worse. 

39 minutes ago, Pezo said:

We have disagreed massively in the past but I couldn't summarise this any better.

Sometimes we just have to accept that some teams are better than us.

Totally agree.  We were beaten by the better side and one that his impressed me the most at AG this season so far.  Did all the simple things well, had time on the ball and were incisive when they needed to be.  The defence was impregnable and so comfortable.  Murray and Baldock were excellent foils for each other and you had the impression they could do as much as was needed.  Good luck to them and based on that performance title contenders.  We just need to accept we came up against a better team.  Move on.

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

As good as the Brighton team was, O'Donnel hardly had to make a save apart from the two goals. Amazingly the BBC stats show Brighton only having one shot on  target! (Was the second goal deflected?) With a bit more clinical finishing the score could have been much worse. 

Yep, big deflection for second. ROD had shot covered.

They were better than us but didn't think they were brilliant by any stretch. I was a lot more impressed with them last season tbh  

We just made it incredibly easy for them to look decent, with a string of crap individual performances. 

They didn't create a lot - both goals were gifts and easy avoidable. 

Too many of ours had an off day today. Tactics were wrong and changes didn't happen fast enough. 

27 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

yup deflection. 

Not sure how good Brighton are to be honest, it felt very similar to when we played Newcastle - they got the lead and then just went into coast mode. They never looked like they were trying to hard, and when they saw what we had to offer just seemed content on conserving energy and trying for the odd break... maybe that is what makes a good team, but felt they probably had more in the bag that we did not get to see.

Just been watching Chelsea v Everton on Motd .  Certainly made me feel a little more relieved with our result, it could have been far worse!

As an aside I liked John Motson's touch of irony when he stated that Diego Costa's injury must be serions as he wouldn't go down if he wasn't hurt! It certainly didn't seem to bother poor Diego for the other 80 minutes of the match!

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

We gifted them two goals when we were previously in control of the game. When you give them a head start we made them look better than they wwre

Complete shite IMO. Totally agree with @Robbored

Luck played apart factor, but you could say that for us V Blackburn and for Barnsley when they played us.

Same again for @bobbyhutchscurlymullet

- get the basics right and go from there. They mastered the basics and are doing the right things to give themselves the best chance to go up.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

But why would they push on when they clearly had the game won?

They have only let in 9 all season and picked two defensive central midfielders in Stephens and Sidwell.

All these stats actually say is that Brighton didn't need to have any more shots on target...

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

We gifted them two goals when we were previously in control of the game. When you give them a head start we made them look better than they wwre

No we didn't.

First goal was down to their pressing and Sidwells technique and vision.

Second goal. A basic error from Little who allowed Murphy to cut in on his right foot when he should have shown him down the left. 

That said the shot took a deflection to take it into the inside of the post. A tad unlucky maybe,

The main point is that BHA gave us nothing and it takes a good team to do that, No errors, rock solid defence and well organised midfield.

They are a good side managed by a top man in Chris Houghton - the former  classy Spurs full back. No surprise that they're so solid defensively.

3 hours ago, PFree said:

If that really was a marker, we really are quite bad and way off pushing for promotion. I just wonder if we made them look good as we sat off, pumped longs balls up and lacked any type of imagination in the final third?

I don't think we are as far off as you think. We were clearly in control before their freak goal and we looked the more likely side to score. However their goal gave them a huge confidence boost and knocked the stuffing right out of us. Predictably another goal soon followed. Take that freak goal away and I would have expected the game to be much more competitive. 

We did show some spirit in the 2nd half and I thought if we could just get the one we could have a game on our hands but Brighton shut up shop and made it very difficult for us to break them down.

As others have said, Chris Hughton is an excellent manager at this level, with a great record (top bloke as well). Brighton were a struggling Championship side when he arrived there, yet missed out on promotion by a whisker in his first full season. They look very likely to go up with Newcastle this season.

LJ has made a good start with us, but he is still a young, not overly experienced manager / coach. He will learn a lot this season, especially after games like the one against Hughton's Brighton.

Archived