IGNORED

Seating, Standing, Stewarding, Fans Behaviour etc

Davefevs

Just back and very disappointed by today's game.  Catalogue of errors, but not on about the game itself.

From a disabled spectating point of view the position is excellent, but then as a Carer you sit in front of the wheelchair user, and if like Joe they are not 6 foot plus, they can't see over you.  I ended up standing alongside Joe all game, but not really because he wouldn't have been able to see over me, but because it wasn't a very nice atmosphere inside the ground today, and Joe really didn't want to stay.

Either you sell standing 'seats' or you don't.  If you don't, then Reading I'm afraid, you need to steward it better and take responsibility for sorting out issues.  3 blokes stood alongside me because their seats were near the back, and they felt unsafe standing.  I will caveat this by stating that I don't know if you were given a choice of seats when buying.

leading up to kickoff, the wheelchair area (next to entrance to seats and steps) was full of fans moaning about they couldn't get to their seats.  Some very irate, in a polite way, some giving some serious sh1t to the female stewards by me.  They asked for the 'response' stewards, who did nothing when they finally 'responded'.  It was quite unpleasant, and I ended up being a barrier between the fans and Joe.

One bloke just came and sat in the Carer seats, and when challenged to show his ticket, he mouthed off.  Not sure why he was emailing Reading FC during the game either. Not sure why he felt he could sit where he wanted.

I understand why people will make a day of it and have a few beers, that's fine....but undoing your jeans, and waving your knob at the opposition fans 60 metres away, fails to have any real rationale, plus it was cold!

Not the best away day I've been to/

2 minutes ago, ojjy said:

These sort of away matches always see the best and the worst of City fans, some of the behaviour today was dreadful and yet the majority supported their team to the end.

Op..Hope it didn't put Joe off too much?

Nah, he's fine, but doesn't want to go to Reading away again.

18 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Oh, and a fight amongst our own. Goodness knows what it was about, but a couple of lads got into one another and about ten more piled in half trying to stop it half trying to get a cheeky jab away. 

My daughter was gutted her phone battery had died so she couldn't video it :facepalm:

Probably no bad thing that the battery had gone if the photos my niece takes are anything to go by.

The Bristol Post would probably lead with a 'have you seen these people?' And it'll be a group of young men in expensive knitwear, with either a dogs face, rabbit ears or some other comedy features.

I believe there is some sort of app that add these extras.

9 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

So glad I didn't make a 5 hour round trip to get there and back.

Game sounded bad, and fans worse.

Why are we unable as a club to identify and ban these morons

Embarrassing.

Because the stewarding was ill-prepared and lacking in authority and accountability.  Felt sorry for the two lady stewards by me who were let down by their 'team'.

Unfortunately this is all too common on away trips now. I only had to move seats twice today because my girl couldn't see, I consider that a success. It takes the pisswhen you're only 5 rows from the front and there's still blokes stood in front of you. 

I've come to the conclusion some people just don't give a **** about anyone else regardless of who they support and why they're there. They don't care if you're disabled, young, old, unable to stand or just really really short, they're gonna stand and to hell with the rest of you.

Of course this could all be sorted if they just made it unreserved seating but for some reason clubs seem reluctant to do that

15 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And it'll be a group of young men in expensive knitwear, with either a dogs face, rabbit ears or some other comedy features.

I believe there is some sort of app that add these extras.

I don't think an app would have been needed. If you'd asked me to have described the scene, that's the exact description I would have given.

Maybe I just got lucky today but I saw no trouble and the people around us were OK. Had a sing and a shout and stood up pretty much all game. I didn't see any thing except one of our fans goading the Reading fans and quite sensibly removed by the stewards, he actually got a second chance and went back for more, that's how leinent they were.

it was my first time at this ground to see Reading, I thought it was a good experience as far as the view and legroom etc was concerned. 

I'm really sorry @Davefevsthat you and Joe had a bad experience, there is no excuses for drunken fans to go and bother our fans who aren't able to move away to other areas. The end was big enough for standers to stand, sitters to sit and everyone to just watch the game. Shame some people are so bloody selfish.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just back and very disappointed by today's game.  Catalogue of errors, but not on about the game itself.

From a disabled spectating point of view the position is excellent, but then as a Carer you sit in front of the wheelchair user, and if like Joe they are not 6 foot plus, they can't see over you.  I ended up standing alongside Joe all game, but not really because he wouldn't have been able to see over me, but because it wasn't a very nice atmosphere inside the ground today, and Joe really didn't want to stay.

Either you sell standing 'seats' or you don't.  If you don't, then Reading I'm afraid, you need to steward it better and take responsibility for sorting out issues.  3 blokes stood alongside me because their seats were near the back, and they felt unsafe standing.  I will caveat this by stating that I don't know if you were given a choice of seats when buying.

leading up to kickoff, the wheelchair area (next to entrance to seats and steps) was full of fans moaning about they couldn't get to their seats.  Some very irate, in a polite way, some giving some serious sh1t to the female stewards by me.  They asked for the 'response' stewards, who did nothing when they finally 'responded'.  It was quite unpleasant, and I ended up being a barrier between the fans and Joe.

One bloke just came and sat in the Carer seats, and when challenged to show his ticket, he mouthed off.  Not sure why he was emailing Reading FC during the game either. Not sure why he felt he could sit where he wanted.

I understand why people will make a day of it and have a few beers, that's fine....but undoing your jeans, and waving your knob at the opposition fans 60 metres away, fails to have any real rationale, plus it was cold!

Not the best away day I've been to/

Yes totally agree.i was sat in the disabled section I couldn't even sit in my seat as about 6-10 men came in wanted to stand anywhere they could didn't care if I could or couldn't see.I can't stand for 90 mins,they were asked to move by a female Scottish Stewart but laughed in her face.

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

Maybe I just got lucky today but I saw no trouble and the people around us were OK. Had a sing and a shout and stood up pretty much all game. I didn't see any thing except one of our fans goading the Reading fans and quite sensibly removed by the stewards, he actually got a second chance and went back for more, that's how leinent they were.

it was my first time at this ground to see Reading, I thought it was a good experience as far as the view and legroom etc was concerned. 

I'm really sorry @Davefevsthat you and Joe had a bad experience, there is no excuses for drunken fans to go and bother our fans who aren't able to move away to other areas. The end was big enough for standers to stand, sitters to sit and everyone to just watch the game. Shame some people are so bloody selfish.

I was similarly lucky today and I was near to the disabled section but completely unaware of all that you had to put up with @Daefevs - sorry your day was spoiled.  Heard plenty of the usual banter but didn't see/hear any racism or thankfully any male appendages.

Good bunch near me and my daughter who only stood occasionally.  When everyone stands I feel sorry for my girl (5ft 5) who then can't see much and also feel sorry for people behind me as I'm 6ft+

Did notice a group down the front who seemed to be standing all match which did seem a tad selfish.

My day wasn't ruined, it just didn't feel like your typical footie-banter today.  Joe normally gives me one of those grinning looks your kids give you, when someone swears or something funny happens, but today he barely smiled....apart from when he was called Oskar 3 times (twice by the same bloke)!!  At least nobody called me Lizzie! :P

Weirdest ever. Actually may come to believe I dreamed this. Was sat right at the back and some wizened old hag appeared with about 8 kids between I guess 8 and 14 who then spent the 90 mins f-ing and c-ing with the occasional collection of words in between in the attempt to form a sentence. Actually quite disturbing coming from a 11-12 yr old girl. However I did learn that their corner of the Atyeo is the only bit that sings, the rest being C's , and granny passed on a pearl of wisdom to her little ones, stating that vit c and B12 injections are the only things that work for a hangover. Which is wrong factually, and on so many different levels.

Eventually came to the conclusion they lived in a shoe, and I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

I was in row V about halfway back. Loads of people came in late and just stood on the stairs because they didn't want to sit down. I would of preferred to stand as well but there is this thing called courtesy fellas. If you want to be at the back then get In early, otherwise, sit in the seat your ticket is allocated to. 

As for those of you claiming to of had a 'tear up' from what I saw you were all 16 year old schooligans with 12" biceps and you couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag. I've had harder s***s.

18 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Weirdest ever. Actually may come to believe I dreamed this. Was sat right at the back and some wizened old hag appeared with about 8 kids between I guess 8 and 14 who then spent the 90 mins f-ing and c-ing with the occasional collection of words in between in the attempt to form a sentence. Actually quite disturbing coming from a 11-12 yr old girl. However I did learn that their corner of the Atyeo is the only bit that sings, the rest being C's , and granny passed on a pearl of wisdom to her little ones, stating that vit c and B12 injections are the only things that work for a hangover. Which is wrong factually, and on so many different levels.

Eventually came to the conclusion they lived in a shoe, and I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

Haha...brilliant...I feel your pain. it's one of the reasons I've stopped going to away games, unless I can get hospitality or snaffle a ticket on the side of the ground.

Makes my skin crawl. Watched a local non league side instead, so I can avoid such types.

It's like being in amongst the audience of a Jeremy Kyle show crossed with Hogarth's Gin Lane... euwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ;-)

gin.jpg

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haha...brilliant...I feel your pain. it's one of the reasons I've stopped going to away games, unless I can get hospitality or snaffle a ticket on the side of the ground.

Makes my skin crawl. Watched a local non league side instead, so I can avoid such types.

It's like being in amongst the audience of a Jeremy Kyle show crossed with Hogarth's Gin Lane... euwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ;-)

gin.jpg

Lost interest in the game Spud. Genuinely bothered me. Mind you I am a sensitive little soul.

There was an angry dude near me today. Who decided to pick out individuals who he noticed were not singing.

Whilst having a pop at those specially chosen individuals, he then decides to call them C***S... (decent bloke... I know!) 

A guy next to me (with his young daughter) asked him nicely if he could cut down on the use of the "C" word - Very reasonable if you ask me.

He then continues to shout C***S more, then "offers" the guy outside!!

Come on... Really!?

13 hours ago, MrBibs said:

Did notice a group down the front who seemed to be standing all match which did seem a tad selfish.

Noticed them as well, about three rows back behind the goal.

I think you are being very lenient when you say it seemed a tad selfish.

As far as I'm concerned it's just not on.

I've got some sympathy for those that wish to stand, and providing it doesn't affect anyone else's enjoyment of the game, no problem. 

However, I've got even more sympathy for the vast majority who pay good money for a seat and are then either unable to see, or are themselves forced to stand (if they are able to) because of the inconsiderate selfish barstewards who think they

can do what they want with total disregard for anyone else.

As has been mentioned before, if you want to stand, go to the back and show some consideration for other supporters who also want to enjoy the game in the way that they prefer..

:sign09:

I thought the standing/sitting issue was a problem yesterday with a number of pockets of fans standing in areas where others were sitting - including the front as already mentioned. Not sure if this problem is getting worse. I was next to a bunch who stood all game. Poor bloke behind really struggled to see. Mind you I suppose they had no choice as for some reason they thought that they could fit more people into the space than there were seats.

I was surprised in these days of health and safety priorities that more was not done to move the people on the steps as there was a significant number there. 

We had one lone wolf stood all by himself when the rest of the block sat, well done sunshine!!

I did notice quite a few proper pissed supporters which surprised me as to how they got in?

One guy in front was our cheerleader for the day, some sang with him, when he got up to lead he could hardly stand and looked at the rest of us for not joining in with daggers in his eyes!!!

I was sat right next to a scuffle (assuming its the same one as mentioned before). The person involved was so bladdered and not sure if it was his first city game but it was comical how badly he was at singing the right lyrics and being in tune with the rest of the crowd.

As it gets a bit heated he then takes off his coat in an effort to show off his not so impressive biceps and the fight kicks off. All I managed to hear is "Why is your mate taking a picture of my bird". Full Jeremy Kyle stuff and just embarrassing. 

Seems we get this sitting/standing divide issue every time we have a 3k+ following. It could be solved with one solution - we copy what Stoke do.

They sell away tickets to fans that want to stand towards the back of the stand and those that want to sit towards the front. This would solve the issue and prevent issues discussed in this thread. 

At the bottom of their ticket information for Chelsea away it says "Supporters who wish to sit down during the match are advised to request tickets at the front of the stand."

http://mobile.stokecityfc.com/news/article/2016-17/chelsea-ticket-info-3434778.aspx

34 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Seems we get this sitting/standing divide issue every time we have a 3k+ following. It could be solved with one solution - we copy what Stoke do.

They sell away tickets to fans that want to stand towards the back of the stand and those that want to sit towards the front. This would solve the issue and prevent issues discussed in this thread. 

At the bottom of their ticket information for Chelsea away it says "Supporters who wish to sit down during the match are advised to request tickets at the front of the stand."

http://mobile.stokecityfc.com/news/article/2016-17/chelsea-ticket-info-3434778.aspx

Definitely a good idea as you say for the bigger away matches. It won't solve all the problems though - I like to stand but not next to a bunch of morons shouting racist abuse:

19 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Plenty of racism aimed at a certain diving player and a certain penalty taker as well.

Literally left me speechless.

I didn't realise the referee was black as well though? That's the affects of alcohol right there on some of Bristol's finest I guess. Either that or I'm colourblind. 

Archived