IGNORED

straw poll - drum

Mkelly

Use of a drum during the game   

410 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The atmosphere at the gate is complete crap at the moment so I voted yes but with some conditions:

1) The drummer must a drummer, and not just some bloke/lass.

2) The person shouldn't be the kind to get mashed before a game.

3) The drum must not be a snare under any circumstances, preferably a bass drum with felted sticks to dampen the noise.

4) Build the repertoire slowly. Week one, only do red army. Then week two add cider army to the list. Don't go straight into Freemans on fire because that will go wrong.

5) We can do a clap for Magners properly.

14 minutes ago, Neo said:

I think we need it - the atmosphere at the gate is flatter than a really flat thing from flat town.

I would suggest a poll of OTIB will not give a balanced view so needs S82 spokespersons to give their view - and before all the S82 rubbish starts again this is the obvious place for it. Please do not disregard purely due to a vote on here.

Anything to stop 200 fleetwood fans being louder than 10K city fans !!

Valid point there mate. I don`t mind hearing it from a distance (SS) if it`s done properly but sure as hell wouldn`t want to be stood next to it.

Atmosphere is NOT created by 1000 people singing in a corner, nor dare I say ,anywhere else in the ground. It is created by (if you will) roaring encouragement to our lads and spitting venom at the opposition.

Old'uns on here will remember the terms "Roker Roar" or "Hampden Roar", don't recall "Roker Songs" or "Hampden Ditties" ! Until we get back the inate feeling of intimidation towards the away side and general rousing support towards the City (that does happen, but not regularly) then it will still be flat.

The old Den  was a place that hardly ever "sang" but , boy it was intimidating , and NOT just by the ever present threat of violence!

28 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The atmosphere at the gate is complete crap at the moment so I voted yes but with some conditions:

1) The drummer must a drummer, and not just some bloke/lass.

2) The person shouldn't be the kind to get mashed before a game.

3) The drum must not be a snare under any circumstances, preferably a bass drum with felted sticks to dampen the noise.

4) Build the repertoire slowly. Week one, only do red army. Then week two add cider army to the list. Don't go straight into Freemans on fire because that will go wrong.

5) We can do a clap for Magners properly.

Think I would rather have a drum than do that pathetic Icelandic clap thing for magners!!

9 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Atmosphere is NOT created by 1000 people singing in a corner, nor dare I say ,anywhere else in the ground. It is created by (if you will) roaring encouragement to our lads and spitting venom at the opposition.

Old'uns on here will remember the terms "Roker Roar" or "Hampden Roar", don't recall "Roker Songs" or "Hampden Ditties" ! Until we get back the inate feeling of intimidation towards the away side and general rousing support towards the City (that does happen, but not regularly) then it will still be flat.

The old Den  was a place that hardly ever "sang" but , boy it was intimidating , and NOT just by the ever present threat of violence!

or the anfield rap

11 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

100% spot on

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

What's Scott Davidson doing these days ?

He was keyboards anyway wasn't he? Perhaps he should play a synthesised drum?

14 minutes ago, 54-46 said:

Personally it would be a no. However, if one was used the right sticks should be used to get the right kind of "boom". I.e. The first image below, not the 2nd

IMG_1774.PNG

IMG_1775.JPG

The 1st drum stick is typically used on bass drums or timpani drums. They are huge so would definitely make some noise! The bottom ones are used for snares and cymbals.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I think we need it - the atmosphere at the gate is flatter than a really flat thing from flat town.

I would suggest a poll of OTIB will not give a balanced view so needs S82 spokespersons to give their view - and before all the S82 rubbish starts again this is the obvious place for it. Please do not disregard purely due to a vote on here.

Anything to stop 200 fleetwood fans being louder than 10K city fans !!

Fewer undulations than a sorceress's decolletage.

We used to have a young lad who was excellent at drumming and kept the east end in rhythm. But he went off to uni to study football journalism or something like that. I think we do need a drum, but as long as it isn't over the top used all the time, it is good for a few songs to get everyone singing in time etc.

One suggestion is if the fans all fund for a drum(through stickers etc) like we have done with the flags etc etc. Then we can have it supervised on match day available for people to try it out whoever feels confident. In this case because it is not owned by the person who is trying it out, we can take it off them if they are crap at it.

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

Perhaps you'd like to become an active member of S82 and help build an atmosphere?

Although when you mention to people this means arriving early and staying late before/after KO to sort out displays each week, most people's enthusiasm for atmosphere rapidly disappears.

No your ok mate, I've no problem with you doing that, and it's good that you do it. But why are you getting so defensive when I say the atmosphere is shit? Do you think it's good?

I've been going since 1975, we didn't need to have a club within a club to create an atmosphere back then. We just used to  go in the ground and make some noise. We now have crowds of 20,000 and make less noise than when we had crowds of 8,000. 

Archived