IGNORED

straw poll - drum

Mkelly

Use of a drum during the game   

410 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

No your ok mate, I've no problem with you doing that, and it's good that you do it. But why are you getting so defensive when I say the atmosphere is shit? Do you think it's good?

I've been going since 1975, we didn't need to have a club within a club to create an atmosphere back then. We just used to  go in the ground and make some noise. We now have crowds of 20,000 and make less noise than when we had crowds of 8,000. 

Hi Bill. 

Just wanted to step in on behalf of SARJ (whom I do not know, so don't know if he stands in the Atyeo or not). I don't think he was necessarily getting defensive about the atmos. You are both right though. 

You are correct Bill in that the atmos does lack something from days of old, but I do have to stand up for the few hundred in the Atyeo who try very hard every game. 

Sarj is correct though, in that whenever any help is asked for to join us before or after games to set up or clear up, there are very few who want to get involved. That's fine, and that's everyone's own lookout, but there is a lot of time and effort that around 10-12 lads put into this. It's not a "club within a club" either. We just wanted a new name for a new initiative so Section 82 was born. Not an exclusive club though, no different to the East End, The Parkenders, Crackers Corner, Dolman B Block, whatever the specific areas of vocal support have come from. It's just a new name for a new area. Not an exclusive club within a club. 

To comment on other points. I do understand why some folks say that the atmos is poor. But I can 100% guarantee that there are a few hundred in S82 who sing constantly throughout the game. It may not translate around the stadium but I for one feel the atmos from where I stand is pretty damn decent at most games. The axe always seems to fall on those in S82, but surely the atmos would be better if everyone made noise. 

That is not a casual slagging off of any other fans or stands. I've heard the Dolman and the SS from the Atyeo this season and the noise that generates from there is amazing once it picks up. Brilliant. All I want is for it to be more. Ashton Gate can only provide a raucous atmos if there are thousands singing, not a few hundred in the corner. 

As for a drum. I think this thread and poll sums it up nicely. Very split. We've been discussing it amongst those of us who set up the flags (not an exclusive club, I would add) and there is also a split in our views. What we do think pretty much unanimously though is that if a drum were to be reintroduced it would HAVE to be very carefully utilised. I think it could work very well for example on the chant where people currently tend to bang the rafters - the 'clap, clap, clap clap clap, clap clap clap clap, City'. A drum really helps that get going. Same with any sort of 'Red Army' or 'Cider Army' chant. A 'bang, bang' between the chant can help to keep tempo. Aside from that though I don't think it helps. 

We're happy to buy a drum (courtesy of S82 and the sticker funds) and to arrange for the storage of this, but it just needs someone to play it and not overdo it. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not an exclusive club though, no different to the East End, The Parkenders, Crackers Corner, Dolman B Block, whatever the specific areas of vocal support have come from. It's just a new name for a new area. Not an exclusive club within a club. 

Ahh, takes me back. The exclusive club was THE KLF (or the Knowle Lunatic Fringe) as it were.

Their one show of positive support was that time when Rovers got relegated against all odds and we hung sprayed up bed sheets over the bridges of the M32 celebrating the fact.

How we laughed.

And then we got back to our shared house and you found out we'd stripped your bed and used your sheets for the banner.

28 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Ahh, takes me back. The exclusive club was THE KLF (or the Knowle Lunatic Fringe) as it were.

Their one show of positive support was that time when Rovers got relegated against all odds and we hung sprayed up bed sheets over the bridges of the M32 celebrating the fact.

How we laughed.

And then we got back to our shared house and you found out we'd stripped your bed and used your sheets for the banner.

Ha ha, yes the KLF. Great times. 

I may have lost my bedsheets but you've lost your memory - it was not a relegation but was when they lost at Northampton in the playoffs (circa 99 maybe?). 

The balaclavas, tools and anonymous phone call to GWR were also rather amusing. 

I'd like to be able to ban opposition fans from bringing them. As for us, I can't speak about any in the old EE but I liked the Ade Akinbyi days of the Native American style (or Hollywood version of) warning of attack drumming leading into the 'bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, CITY! So I can't really answer the poll as it is worded. :grr:

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ha ha, yes the KLF. Great times. 

I may have lost my bedsheets but you've lost your memory - it was not a relegation but was when they lost at Northampton in the playoffs (circa 99 maybe?). 

The balaclavas, tools and anonymous phone call to GWR were also rather amusing. 

Like I can remember! I was hanging out of the roof of Sean's Peugeot 205 Gti cidered to the max!

5 hours ago, stogursey red said:

i guess it depends on if it will be played by someone who a) has some musical training  b) will not turn up so drunk they have no idea what songs to join in with c) not through all there toys out when everyone dont want to sing the songs they are drumming to,

all these problems where there when last there was a drum in the eastend and in the end it got quite nasty, not sure we want that sort of trouble again  

As a drummer who has worked in the music profession for years my experience tells me that if you have had a) unfortunately b) will almost certainly follow! And no I'm not volunteering!

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

How we laughed.

Completely digressing, but bed sheets over the M32 to celebrate some dismal failure by the blue few ain't so new, I remember doing so with the Bountyhunter boys when the sags lost to Tranmere in whatever the Freight Rover Trophy was called back then..

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Completely digressing, but bed sheets over the M32 to celebrate some dismal failure by the blue few ain't so new, I remember doing so with the Bountyhunter boys when the sags lost to Tranmere in whatever the Freight Rover Trophy was called back then..

No unique element claimed! 

Simply following in the footsteps of past masters! In fact I'm fairly sure that one of the fanzines printed a letter from people who'd had the same thought process we had that very evening yet were slightly (and light heartedly) put out that they'd been beaten to the prime hanging spots!

7 hours ago, Mkelly said:

I have had a fair few people contact me after the Fleetwood game asking if there is possibility of the stadium getting a drummer in for a match day similar to what the Fleetwood fans had.

Rather than do this, I would rather provide a drum within S82 or other areas if there was somebody who could use it properly and if there was an appetite to have one!

Any thoughts?  Worth a try?

I thought it did add to the atmosphere 

15 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

No your ok mate, I've no problem with you doing that, and it's good that you do it. But why are you getting so defensive when I say the atmosphere is shit? Do you think it's good?

I've been going since 1975, we didn't need to have a club within a club to create an atmosphere back then. We just used to  go in the ground and make some noise. We now have crowds of 20,000 and make less noise than when we had crowds of 8,000. 

Portland Bill you've misunderstood me entirely.

Not getting defensive at all. Atmosphere at the Gate has been s*** for ages now. I'd argue it's still shocking today, despite our best efforts.

All I'm saying is some of us make an effort to try and create an atmosphere but when the majority of fans realise this involves staying after the whistle for 20 mins etc, people'es enthusiasm disappears.

As you say, back in the day you never needed fan groups or sections, the whole ground was making noise. Sadly those days are behind us, so fan groups like S82 are necessary to generate something.

Take Cardiff on Saturday. I can guarantee you it won't have the same venom it used to, regardless of the efforts S82 make in handing out St George's flags, starting chants etc. It's just the sad way of the world nowadays.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't quite see what the drums add to what is a great vocal performance there...... interesting choice of chant though, looks fun.

It is barely audible but it is sort of there in the background just ensuring that everyone sticks to the beat and doesn't get ahead of themselves. 

Its a perfect example of how a drum should be used.

It's a yes for me. IF used correctly of course!

To get all four stands going, I think a drum could help. I sat in the SS for the first time on Saturday and there was some chants started here and there but nothing really took off.

The big problem is trying to get all four stands going and in tune. I believe a drum, if used correctly will help!

It's not as if we're vocal at home anyway...

The drum isnt the answer however i am pleased that the shocking standard of atnosphere has been noted. 

The majority of the home supporters are genuinely uninterested and have been for years and years. 

You cant make people want to get involved but AG has never been a fortress in recent years and unless there is a dramatic change in culture it never will be.

40 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The drum isnt the answer however i am pleased that the shocking standard of atnosphere has been noted. 

The majority of the home supporters are genuinely uninterested and have been for years and years. 

You cant make people want to get involved but AG has never been a fortress in recent years and unless there is a dramatic change in culture it never will be.

People won't like this but our home support is one of the worst in the league in terms of noise. 

Something needs to change!

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I agree that the bigger problem is the lack of desire from people to make some noise. But I also believe that noise generates noise. If the people around me are making noise I'm more likely to follow. 

To put an alternative point of view, I love a bit of noise, a full throated sing song related to the match. Thinking back over the past 35 years or so, since we dropped out of the top flight, the Gate has never been a noisy ground for a run of the mill game. But on an evening, when there's something at stake or when there's passion in the play the whole place can sing as one and it's very impressive. But what is the crowd singing on such occasions? It's not a song about people tearing their contracts up...or about the Rovers...or "Red Army" ad infinitum...it's something traditional or topical - "Come on You Reds", "Johnson Says", that sort of thing. And the noise relates to the play...encouraging it or reacting to it, it's part of the whole occasion...as is stillness and quiet and tension at other points.

For me an overused drum is artificial, it adds nothing but an intrusive noise which is completely distracting from what's actually happening on the pitch. It's just noise for the sake of it. 

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I feel sorry for Mike, this straw poll has no clear winner, I guess it's whether he wants to count the don't knows in with the Yes's or the No's. As much as I am against it myself, it think there are enough votes there to suggest a trial period might be a good idea.

Who is Mike?

Archived