IGNORED

Can someone explain the tactics yesterday?

Chairman Mao

Forgive me, I wouldn't call myself a student of the game, I turn up and expect to see a competitive performance. to be fair yesterday we got that, but it was largely due to the fact that Burton were insipid, not quite Rotherham but certainly on a level with Blackburn. 

What I am confused about are some of the decisions that appeared to have been made during the game. 

We seemed to line up with a 3-6-1 of sorts. A funny formation, the official Twitter suggesting that Tomlin would be a second striker, but after 10 minutes it was clear that Reid would be playing that role. I get the idea, Reid running beyond the defence to collect Wilbraham flick ons, but anyone who watched (for example) the match vs. Villa will be aware of the fact that Reid is actually much better playing deep, as he did with O'Neil at the start of the season. 

Perhaps Tomlin was meant to be the second striker and ignored LJs instructions. This is a possibility as LJ claimed vs. Rotherham we played with 2 up top to a fan having a go at him. Tomlin instead was sitting with Flint to pick up the ball at times during that match. 

That was confusing, concerning was the left hand side. Clearly Bryan and Mags were unsure who was covering what zone in defence. It seems inexplicable that such basic issues (which caused Tomlin to go over to the bench to ask what was going on) were not ironed out pretty kick off. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday should be long enough, unless LJ makes formations up off the cuff. 

Luckly Lloyd Dyer is indeed Dire (that miss was pathetic) but a decent right wing would've ripped us to shreds there. 

LJ is clearly thrashing around for ideas, but some of his decisions appear increasingly baffling. I think it was Dr Balls who summed it up well, he is a buffer and Blagger and it is now apparent he doesn't have a clue what he is doing.

I give up, and will not be returning to gate until Johnson is gone. There is no other manager at any club in the football league who oversees such a terrible run, combined with such desperate decision making, and survives. I thank LJ for ensuring our survival last season (Huddersfield, Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton will live long in the memory) but he has been horribly exposed as out of his depth.

anything that works is then done to death.

wilbs up front against Newcastle got us a point.

and true to form is then used at villa and at home to BURTON ffs.

this is one desperate manager, everyone seemed pleased with villa first half but TBH the long ball to Wilbs was doing my head in by the 30th min.

were just clueless and desperate and this is what goes on I'm afraid.

yesterday should have had djuric and taylor up top from the off.

@Chairman Mao you managed to sum up yesterday's problems in a nutshell. It was clear to you, and most of the crowd, but not to LJ. Everything seems to be wrong. The training and tactical preparation leading up to the match must be pants, as the players don't seem to know what they have to do when they go onto the pitch. Then, when things go wrong during the match, LJ doesn't seem to be able to react and change things. Perhaps, during the match, he'd preparing his post-match speech. 

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

@Chairman Mao you managed to sum up yesterday's problems in a nutshell. It was clear to you, and most of the crowd, but not to LJ. Everything seems to be wrong. The training and tactical preparation leading up to the match must be pants, as the players don't seem to know what they have to do when they go onto the pitch. Then, when things go wrong during the match, LJ doesn't seem to be able to react and change things. Perhaps, during the match, he'd preparing his post-match speech. 

Hardly, it's the same speech every week 

It was like watching what I imagine football resembled from the early 1900's. 

One player either:

A) Ran 25-50 yards with the ball whilst the rest of his team mates followed, then statically waiting for the ball to come to them

Or...

B) Launches the ball as far forward as possible whilst everyone else chases the big up and under

Bizarre game of football it was.

That's the thing. tactics and formation may have been set up from Johnson, they clearly were not working. 
I've said a few times, a 37 year old up front on his own , no support. The attacking MFs did not get to him let alone beyond him and the width was stiffled because they had to track back as WBs.  This is where a real intelegant , go ahead coach shouts instructions. Bollocks players for not doing what he set up. What we get is a statue with hands in pocket (TBF he did clap a couple of times) who watches the game pass by and any encouragement or advice has to come from Pembo.

The chances came in spite of Johnson , not because of his input. Yes we missed a pen and had a good goal chalked off, but  he just let things drift for so long. Odowda had good reviews recently which seems to mean you don't get a game for a while. With Duric again causing problems in the air , a genuine winger on both sides could/would have got us the 3  points. 
As it was route one to a bloke with no support is the way we go, it's clear there has been no coaching of movement or looking for space. The man in possession has to hunt for a free man, Tomlin for all his faults is always looking to receive the ball. For the most part, after a pass the players think their work is done and switch off.

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Junior is the man to answer the OPs question. 

Im at a loss to understand what he trying to do with a 3-5-1-1.

That said, it nearly worked. The missed penalty, the goalmouth melee....

That goal mouth melee, I am not sure whether to applaud LJ or not. Bringing on 2 forwards and then Paterson in the dying minutes and throwing everything/caution to the wind to get a goal. It's the kind of thing you do in desperation when your one or two goals down and have nothing to lose. It showed he was desperate for a win, and was not settling for a point, but seemed very gun-ho risking a point we had.... brave or foolish - I can't decide.

Regardless, these games he told us "were in the bag" seem to be not going our way.

23 minutes ago, Fiale said:

That goal mouth melee, I am not sure whether to applaud LJ or not. Bringing on 2 forwards and then Paterson in the dying minutes and throwing everything/caution to the wind to get a goal. It's the kind of thing you do in desperation when your one or two goals down and have nothing to lose. It showed he was desperate for a win, and was not settling for a point, but seemed very gun-ho risking a point we had.... brave or foolish - I can't decide.

It wasn't foolhardy or bravery, it was necessity. He had to go for the goal which would have almost certainly won the game.

Even his harshest critics can't knock him for that.

Unfortunately it didn't  happen. Fair play to Burton - they defended very well.

It was bizarre,  we were saying inside 15 mind if Reid was meant to be playing that far forward then why not use Taylor as a 2nd striker.  Intact he might well have linked well with Wilbraham. 

Unfortunately,  it happens every game I'm sure he just rolls a dice or flips a coin to decide what formation to player and don't even get me started on the lack of motivation there!

27 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Djuric won more meaningful headers in the first 5 minutes he was on than poor old Wilbs won all match.

I think Wilbs got a raw deal from the Ref.

Twiiter pic was 3421 / 5221 depending on whether you put the Wingbacks as defenders or midfielders.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think Wilbs got a raw deal from the Ref.

Twiiter pic was 3421 / 5221 depending on whether you put the Wingbacks as defenders or midfielders.

He put a shift in granted and he was manhandled a lot with no free kicks given,but Djuric is a far better header of the ball and better all round player imo.It's a big ask for a 38 year old to play 3 games in 7 days and sadly it showed.

Archived