IGNORED

Huddersfield Friday 17th March

Dolman Block B

2 hours ago, Townfan66 said:

Afternoon all. Good result for you yesterday and expecting you to give us a tough test on Friday! We haven't been playing as well the last few games but are scraping results. I suppose you could say it is the sign of a good team but it still makes you worry when you play a team fighting for points (3 of our last 4 games have been against mid table teams). I expect you to be much tougher opposition.

Visiting Ashton Gate for the first time and looking forward to it. Can anyone give advice as to the best way to get to the ground from the city centre, i.e. Is it walking distance or do I need to get bus/train?

Get to ground early and enjoy the fans zone live bands and plenty to drink eat etc

2/0 City 

23 minutes ago, cityexile said:

LJ will run 30 simulations on FM.

He will tell from this that Huddersfield close down quickly when not in possession giving no space, and when in possession pass the ball well, are happy to retain the ball and look for space that somebody is making a run into.

He will then apply his genius as to what eleven to pick, what formation to play, and what players he wishes to implement it. He will decide that the answer is 4-5-1, to deny them space in midfield, advising the players to not to worry to much if they are passing the ball around in front of us, but to close them down in the final third. He will be torn between Wilbs or Tammy up front.

He will send the team out, confident he has applied tactical nous to maximise our chances.

The whistle will then go for the start if the match.

It will then become apparent that we are completely crap playing this way. No player will be entirely sure what their role is, as it will be the sixth formation, and fourth position that player has played in over the past few weeks, having seemingly been out of favour for a month, No one will get ahead of the ball making runs, as they are all seek to remember  their precise instructions for this match. We will get no space, and will lump the ball forward to an isolated Tammy, who was chosen in the end, who can make nothing of it. 

We go in at half time 2-0 down having been completely out played. Huddersfield have been retaining possession as if it was a training match finding space at will, each knowing each other's role.

LJ is not happy at half time. Did no one watch the FM simulations? Much against his better judgement, he moves stuff around at half time, bringing on some more attacking options, and tells the team just to go for it.

After the break, Huddersfield miss a few good chances to put the game to bed, but slowly we start to get more in to it. Wilbs, who has now been brought on, starts to link up better with Tammy, we start getting the odd chance, as do they but suddenly with 15 to go, it is 1-2. We push for the equaliser, but it's not to be.

LJ after the match comments that it is thin lines, and that we were unlucky not to get something, despite being outplayed for 70 minutes. Meanwhile he is thinking there were at least two players who did not follow his instructions for this match to the letter and will need now resting for a month. He will make some comment about having learned a lot about some of his players today, and that some clearly do not have the energy and fight needed.

He will crank up his FM and gets to work on the next match.

This is exactly what will happen, or at least something very similar. 

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

There inlies the problem. He won't pick the right side and will probably drop off them . Frankie did cost us up there but they were all over us like a rash most of the game. 

Theyll press us high up the pitch like they did up there

That first half hour or so was the best that anyone has played against us all season, they could have been 5 or 6-0 up by the time we equalised. 

Afternoon all. Good result for you yesterday and expecting you to give us a tough test on Friday! We haven't been playing as well the last few games but are scraping results. I suppose you could say it is the sign of a good team but it still makes you worry when you play a team fighting for points (3 of our last 4 games have been against mid table teams). I expect you to be much tougher opposition.

Visiting Ashton Gate for the first time and looking forward to it. Can anyone give advice as to the best way to get to the ground from the city centre, i.e. Is it walking distance or do I need to get bus/train?

Hi TownFan66

The number 24 to Ashton Vale (Southmead Hostipal on return) [take it to Duckmoor Road] might take 25+ minutes from the centre depending on the traffic. There are other buses available from Anchor Road which will stop on Ashon Road Bridge which will probably be quicker.

If you really do mean the centre (e.g. near Hippodrome) then it will be 35-40 minutes, 10 more if you use the longer route.

The faster route from the centre is to head for the M-Shed (across teh docks via a scaffold bridge in prince street) and then follow the commuters over the river footbridge at Dean Lane and walk up Coronation Road and then cutting across the park (Greville Smyth) or Ashton Road (it will be marginally faster going up Stackpool Road when you're over the bridge, but a bit easier to get lost).

A more scenic route would be to walk along the docks from the M Shed via the SS Great Brittan, and you could easily continue on to the Cottage that way.

A longer route (but one I prefer in decent weather, and will pass the Mardyke, and Pump House) is to head along the other side of the docks via Millenium Square/ @ Bristol / Lloyds Ampitheatre (you can cut 10 minutes out if you head straight down Anchor Raod and then Hotwells Road rather than meandering round the docks). When you reach the Pump House, you can either walk round via the Cumberland Basin dual carriage way (the quick route via the old Ashton Swing Bridge is closed for upgrading/repair for the Metro - don't ask), or follow the road back around to the footbrighe which crosses the river at Greenway Bush Lane.

Have a look at Google Maps and feel free to ask any questions.

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

If your coming by train, you can get a ferry down to a nice pub called the Cottage (sit outside on a nice day by the docks) - it's less than 10 minutes from the ground. If your getting off at the city centre by car/coach then you can again catch a ferry (they are about £3 but save a walk) or walk along the dockside, there are now at least a dozen bars and small food/bar/cafe type places along the way so make a nice mini-pub crawl, also greater chance to find a place you like with so much choice.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Staying in city centre and a stroll along the docks sounds ideal! Really looking forward to it and hope it's a good game whatever the result!

Looking on your posts it looks like you are in the same position as we have been for the last few seasons. This year has been a revelation for us, exciting football with some quality players (admittedly several who are on loan) but even our existing players have been rejuvinated under Wagner. Our chairman took a big risk on appointing Wagner, an unknown with no managerial experience, but realised that the club needed to change its philosophy rather than appointing the usual managers on the merry go round! He also put season tickets down to £180 this season and restricted the away fans to 1,900 rather than 4,000 previously. This has made a massive difference to the atmosphere as we play in front of 20k plus crowds every week and means the bigger clubs haven't been able to out sing us and we have won matches that previously we would have drawn.

Hope you stay up as a club your size needs to be in the Championship pushing for the Premier league. Obviously I'm hoping we beat you on Friday to keep our slim chance of automatic promotion going, otherwise all the best!

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

LJ will run 30 simulations on FM.

He will tell from this that Huddersfield close down quickly when not in possession giving no space, and when in possession pass the ball well, are happy to retain the ball and look for space that somebody is making a run into.

He will then apply his genius as to what eleven to pick, what formation to play, and what players he wishes to implement it. He will decide that the answer is 4-5-1, to deny them space in midfield, advising the players to not to worry to much if they are passing the ball around in front of us, but to close them down in the final third. He will be torn between Wilbs or Tammy up front.

He will send the team out, confident he has applied tactical nous to maximise our chances.

The whistle will then go for the start if the match.

It will then become apparent that we are completely crap playing this way. No player will be entirely sure what their role is, as it will be the sixth formation, and fourth position that player has played in over the past few weeks, having seemingly been out of favour for a month, No one will get ahead of the ball making runs, as they are all seek to remember their precise instructions for this match. We will get no space, and will lump the ball forward to an isolated Tammy, who was chosen in the end, who can make nothing of it. 

We go in at half time 2-0 down having been completely out played. Huddersfield have been retaining possession as if it was a training match finding space at will, each knowing each other's role.

LJ is not happy at half time. Did no one watch the FM simulations? Much against his better judgement, he moves stuff around at half time, bringing on some more attacking options, and tells the team just to go for it.

After the break, Huddersfield miss a few good chances to put the game to bed, but slowly we start to get more in to it. Wilbs, who has now been brought on, starts to link up better with Tammy, we start getting the odd chance, as do they but suddenly with 15 to go, it is 1-2. We push for the equaliser, but it's not to be.

LJ after the match comments that it is thin lines, and that we were unlucky not to get something, despite being outplayed for 70 minutes. Meanwhile he is thinking there were at least two players who did not follow his instructions for this match to the letter and will need now resting for a month. He will make some comment about having learned a lot about some of his players today, and that some clearly do not have the energy and fight needed.

He will crank up his FM and gets to work on the next match.

Lee I can't believe your posting your team tactics on a forum, it's too lifelike to be anyone else 

33 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That first half hour or so was the best that anyone has played against us all season, they could have been 5 or 6-0 up by the time we equalised. 

What bugged me up there was they pressed us relentlessly and we kept trying to play out from the back and kept getting caught . That's where the first goal come from . We played 2 up top but not once did we try and turn them . We were pretty confident then . If they play like that Friday we could get hammered 

5 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Official attendance: 17,900

Actual occupied seats: 14,000

A few boycotters will crawl back after picking up 5 points against dross, and I firmly expect us to be defeated by a Huddersfield team who we beat comfortably at home at the end of last season with a cracking performance. Since then we've gone on to make significant "progress".

6 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

A few boycotters will crawl back after picking up 5 points against dross, and I firmly expect us to be defeated by a Huddersfield team who we beat comfortably at home at the end of last season with a cracking performance. Since then we've gone on to make significant "progress".

Hardly dross. Norwich are 9th, were 7th when we played them and have spent £7m on Wildschut and £8m on Pritchard among their expensive acquisitions. As for Burton, unbeaten in 6, an improving side.

1 hour ago, Townfan66 said:

Our chairman took a big risk on appointing Wagner, an unknown with no managerial experience, but realised that the club needed to change its philosophy rather than appointing the usual managers on the merry go round!

Sounds familiar, ours realised that too. How's it working out for you lot then?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Staying in city centre and a stroll along the docks sounds ideal! Really looking forward to it and hope it's a good game whatever the result!

Looking on your posts it looks like you are in the same position as we have been for the last few seasons. This year has been a revelation for us, exciting football with some quality players (admittedly several who are on loan) but even our existing players have been rejuvinated under Wagner. Our chairman took a big risk on appointing Wagner, an unknown with no managerial experience, but realised that the club needed to change its philosophy rather than appointing the usual managers on the merry go round! He also put season tickets down to £180 this season and restricted the away fans to 1,900 rather than 4,000 previously. This has made a massive difference to the atmosphere as we play in front of 20k plus crowds every week and means the bigger clubs haven't been able to out sing us and we have won matches that previously we would have drawn.

Hope you stay up as a club your size needs to be in the Championship pushing for the Premier league. Obviously I'm hoping we beat you on Friday to keep our slim chance of automatic promotion going, otherwise all the best!

It's good to hear that you're club have made season tickets cheaper and has influenced results/performances on the pitch, it's something that i was hoping we would do for this season with our new ground... Makes sense to decrease prices allowing more fans in to make the atmosphere better.

The loss of revenue for cheaper tickets would be balanced by the extra people in our ground spending more money in the concourse?

58 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

This boycotter isn't crawling back , missed the Norwich game , Huddersfield game too ! If Johnson is here for the rest of the season I won't be.  A few sellouts in on here  oh well he's here now. Just as well be a happyclapper . He's still tactically inept , doesn't know his best team , whatever league we are in next year.  Fans will still be discussing the same things. ! Johnson out.  

We've done the opposite to you. We have fans in the corner of the away end but are being moved next season and letting away fans have the whole end, mistake in my view. Thought your home support was the best I'd seen for years and the section next to us didn't shut up all game . 

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

We've done the opposite to you. We have fans in the corner of the away end but are being moved next season and letting away fans have the whole end, mistake in my view. Thought your home support was the best I'd seen for years and the section next to us didn't shut up all game . 

Yes it's transformed the whole atmosphere at home games. In previous seasons the away fans had the whole stand behind the goal (potentially 4K away fans). This stand also generates the most noise acoustically so when we had clubs like Derby, Wednesday etc. they used to fill it and make loads of noise. Now our fans have half this stand and sing for 90 mins (as you pointed out) and snub out the noise from away fans. It's made a massive difference to our home performances. Suggest you write to your chairman and ask him to speak to our chairman on Friday about how it's helped our club!

8 minutes ago, Townfan66 said:

Yes it's transformed the whole atmosphere at home games. In previous seasons the away fans had the whole stand behind the goal (potentially 4K away fans). This stand also generates the most noise acoustically so when we had clubs like Derby, Wednesday etc. they used to fill it and make loads of noise. Now our fans have half this stand and sing for 90 mins (as you pointed out) and snub out the noise from away fans. It's made a massive difference to our home performances. Suggest you write to your chairman and ask him to speak to our chairman on Friday about how it's helped our club!

He can't even sack a manager that's overseen the worst run in our history so I think I'll pass on that one thanks :laughcont:

I'd say, start with 14 000, rising to 17 000 after 15 minutes (due to the protest), with a drop off of a thousand when Huddersfield score and then 15 000 for the last 5 minutes as some in the Dolman stand start to leave.

With all due respect 

We are a huge City in comparison to Huddersfield and it beats the shit out of us to see how bad we are and how well you lot are doing 

Respect to your owners for cheap season tickets a great manager who on Sky Sports today admitted that you never thought you would be where you are now

Hopefulky we stay up

Be kind to us Friday please 

Sugy , Paignton Devon Terrier Avatar
Brizzle City mate of mine mentioned yesterday that there was a proposed stay away from around 10,000 season ticket holders for the town match due to a protest that he was babbling on about

They are also shitting themselves especially with towns well highlighted form

That means there'll be 3 home fans watching then.

Read more: http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/103986/bristol-city-away#ixzz4bByQq8bk

2 hours ago, Coombsy said:
Sugy , Paignton Devon Terrier Avatar
Brizzle City mate of mine mentioned yesterday that there was a proposed stay away from around 10,000 season ticket holders for the town match due to a protest that he was babbling on about

They are also shitting themselves especially with towns well highlighted form

That means there'll be 3 home fans watching then.

Read more: http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/103986/bristol-city-away#ixzz4bByQq8bk

Stupid Northern****. Notice he lives in Paignton rather than his slum of a hometown.....

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Stupid Northern****. Notice he lives in Paignton rather than his slum of a hometown.....

Less of the Huddersfield slum talk please, that's where I grew up

We might not be playing much better, but we certainly seem to be harder to beat. I'm going to boldly predict a famous victory in front of the Sky cameras. Especially because I've double booked myself and won't be able to watch, which usually means we play well

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Less of the Huddersfield slum talk please, that's where I grew up

We might not be playing much better, but we certainly seem to be harder to beat. I'm going to boldly predict a famous victory in front of the Sky cameras. Especially because I've double booked myself and won't be able to watch, which usually means we play well

Forgot that Chip ;)  My first wife lived in 'Uddersfield when I met here. Actually have quite fond memories of staggering around the KU Club in the early hours.

14 hours ago, Townfan66 said:

I've said for ages the Atyeo would have the best acoustics. The away fans should be put in the upper Lansdown. Yes, they might make a mess and piss off the poshies a bit but it would be perfect segregation wise. Away fans can be kept up there until the rest of the stadium is cleared, plenty of space for travelling support etc. If the rumours of the new build on the Wickes Site are true, they can be escorted out the stand, straight on the footbridge over the stream and then out to awaiting coaches. We could have the Atyeo bar built after all too. Common sense.

14 hours ago, yardy said:

It's good to hear that you're club have made season tickets cheaper and has influenced results/performances on the pitch, it's something that i was hoping we would do for this season with our new ground... Makes sense to decrease prices allowing more fans in to make the atmosphere better.

The loss of revenue for cheaper tickets would be balanced by the extra people in our ground spending more money in the concourse?

Get off OTIB with your common sense. Bristol Sport prides itself on the lack thereof. 

2 hours ago, redapple said:

We have a team that can be competitive with anyone, maybe with a tiny bit of confidence restored and not to much tinkering we could get a draw. I'm going for 2-2

"competitive with anyone"

The logic in this particular post leads me to believe that the management team not only read this board, they contribute.

Archived